Board index » Word on the Street... » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Belle & Sebastian
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:20 pm 
Supersonic

The Life Pursuit is an awesome record, really. As much as the shambling pop of their earlier stuff was part of the appeal, I love hearing this new muscular, confident version of B&S as well. Stuart Murdoch has come so far as a vocalist.

And sadly it's now been almost 3 years since the last new material from the band. I hope they're doing something about that.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:38 pm 
trying to make a career out of postwhoring

dyingonahilltop wrote:
The Life Pursuit is an awesome record, really. As much as the shambling pop of their earlier stuff was part of the appeal, I love hearing this new muscular, confident version of B&S as well. Stuart Murdoch has come so far as a vocalist.

And sadly it's now been almost 3 years since the last new material from the band. I hope they're doing something about that.

Yeah any news on that? I briefly scanned their website last night but saw nothing. They didn't even have any shows listed for 2007-2008.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:07 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

dyingonahilltop wrote:

I don't hate The Life Pursuit, but chances are that if I am listening to Belle & Sebastian then it's a rainy day and I am likely drinking hot tea and reading a book. The Life Pursuit doesn't lend itself to those kinds of listening sessions, but something like If You're Feeling Sinister is perfect.

At the risk of sounding like the kind of music fan I generally roll my eyes at, I really think that they went too far from their original sound starting with DCW. I loved the subtle, quiet arrangements of IYFS or "the state that i am in" and I really loved murdoch's tentative (oh okay, "gay sounding") vocals. That's what I love about B&S. Both aspects of the band changed drastically in the recent past.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:26 pm 

washing machine wrote:
dyingonahilltop wrote:

I don't hate The Life Pursuit, but chances are that if I am listening to Belle & Sebastian then it's a rainy day and I am likely drinking hot tea and reading a book. The Life Pursuit doesn't lend itself to those kinds of listening sessions, but something like If You're Feeling Sinister is perfect.

At the risk of sounding like the kind of music fan I generally roll my eyes at, I really think that they went too far from their original sound starting with DCW. I loved the subtle, quiet arrangements of IYFS or "the state that i am in" and I really loved murdoch's tentative (oh okay, "gay sounding") vocals. That's what I love about B&S. Both aspects of the band changed drastically in the recent past.

You must evolve, Reid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:41 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
washing machine wrote:
dyingonahilltop wrote:

You must evolve, Reid

I don't like Pearl Jam anymore. Does that count?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:45 pm 

washing machine wrote:
washing machine wrote:
dyingonahilltop wrote:

You must evolve, Reid

I don't like Pearl Jam anymore. Does that count?

Actually yes. The only Pearl Jam song I like is Red Dot.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:45 pm 

Hey Reid, if Belle and Sebastian come to Houston i'm so coming there to see them.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:48 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

Hey Reid, if Belle and Sebastian come to Houston i'm so coming there to see them.

I would buy you a beer probably. It would be the first real social interaction either of us have had with anyone in ages.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:49 pm 

washing machine wrote:

I would buy you a beer probably. It would be the first real social interaction either of us have had with anyone in ages.

I don't drink. I was just hoping to bed you. :oops:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:53 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

washing machine wrote:

I don't drink. I was just hoping to bed you. :oops:

gross

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:58 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:40 pm 
Got Some

washing machine wrote:
dyingonahilltop wrote:

I listen to Life Pursuit regularly all summer long, and everything else (minus DCW) during the fall and winter.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:53 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

McParadigmatWork wrote:
washing machine wrote:
dyingonahilltop wrote:

I listen to Life Pursuit regularly all summer long, and everything else (minus DCW) during the fall and winter.

Now that you mention it, is it a coincidence that I jsut got back into B&S as the weather gets cooler? Good point.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:04 pm 

I only have IYFS.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:16 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

SmilinSkullRing wrote:
I only have IYFS.

Do you enjoy it?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:23 pm 

washing machine wrote:
SmilinSkullRing wrote:
I only have IYFS.

Do you enjoy it?

It's good. I don't love it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:27 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

SmilinSkullRing wrote:
washing machine wrote:
SmilinSkullRing wrote:
I only have IYFS.

Do you enjoy it?

It's good. I don't love it.

Well there you go.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:01 pm 
Supersonic

Yeah, The Life Pursuit certainly isn't suited to the same atmosphere that their earlier records are. Begs for sunny days and such.

The Boy With The Arab Strap is definitely my favorite B&S record, I've come to realize. So many wonderful, varied songs. Works wonderfully as a whole, and "The Roller Coaster Ride," "Sleep The Clock Around," and the title track are among the very best things they've ever done. That's also a summer record, but not in the same vein as LP.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:38 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

dyingonahilltop wrote:
Yeah, The Life Pursuit certainly isn't suited to the same atmosphere that their earlier records are. Begs for sunny days and such.

The Boy With The Arab Strap is definitely my favorite B&S record, I've come to realize. So many wonderful, varied songs. Works wonderfully as a whole, and "The Roller Coaster Ride," "Sleep The Clock Around," and the title track are among the very best things they've ever done. That's also a summer record, but not in the same vein as LP.

You know, I really haven't given that album a really good listen, despite owning it for a while now. It's certainly more challenging than anything else they've done (I haven't heard fold your hands yet). Sleep the clock around is an undisputable classic, as well as much of the first half of the album. I'll be listening to the album a lot in the near future i'd imagine. I'm looking forward to it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:41 pm 

washing machine wrote:
dyingonahilltop wrote:

You know, I really haven't given that album a really good listen, despite owning it for a while now. It's certainly more challenging than anything else they've done (I haven't heard fold your hands yet). Sleep the clock around is an undisputable classic, as well as much of the first half of the album. I'll be listening to the album a lot in the near future i'd imagine. I'm looking forward to it.

It's probably my favorite as well. At least my favorite regular record. I still get more joy out of Push Barman when it's all said and done.

Fold Your Hands Child is easily my least favorite, it has a few great tracks but overall I find it very weak.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Other Bands