Board index » Word on the Street... » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 780 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 39  Next
 Post subject: Re: OB cover contest: Waiting for next round
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:05 am 
Stone's Bitch

McParadigm wrote:
Skitch Patterson wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
Also he links to his book in literally every post he ever makes.

He hasn't done that in like a week now.

If I can change

And you can change

Then everybody can change

I'm guessing inside humor, but this I know...

There's nothing a Rocky IV quote can't fix

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:17 am 
Global Moderator

McParadigm wrote:
Also he links to his book in literally every post he ever makes.

the RM market for it is this close to exploding...

I am back and with power but it'll probably be another few days before I have enough of my life in order to make it back to this. I apologize.

The perfect gift for certain occasions

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:35 pm 
Winner: 2007+2009 Other Bands Cover Contest

Is ok man I lost power for 10 days with the October '11 snow storm. Rough.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:04 pm 
Supersonic

Quote:

I'm just jealous because 6 weeks later, I'm still waiting to hear back from the publisher. And the last word I got was basically "this looks good, and I'm sending it along, but just be warned that they'll probably have to turn it down."

Non unlike, "Hey, Billy. Here's some ice cream. For me. Fuck you."

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:45 pm 
Global Moderator

McParadigm wrote:
Quote:

I'm just jealous because 6 weeks later, I'm still waiting to hear back from the publisher. And the last word I got was basically "this looks good, and I'm sending it along, but just be warned that they'll probably have to turn it down."

Non unlike, "Hey, Billy. Here's some ice cream. For me. Fuck you."

what are you trying to publish? I went to a few publishers. For academic stuff, since these are such niche markets, in a lot of cases even if they like a book they won't run with it if the people who normally are buying their stuff aren't likely to care.

Post subject: Re: OB cover contest: Bada vs McP v Knee Tunes
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:50 pm 
Global Moderator

and we're live again. Songs are up. Giving it a week

Bada: Nice guitar playing. Real dirty. I like your voice though, and wish it wasn't buried.

McP: I love this. This is one of the Tom Waits songs I like the least (actually I don't like it at all), and so this hushed and hurried version is pretty great.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:53 pm 
Supersonic

Vote for Bada and knee tunes.

Quote:
what are you trying to publish?

Book on education. Education publisher. etc. Not expecting to get there, just tired of waiting.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:56 pm 
Global Moderator

McParadigm wrote:
Vote for Bada and knee tunes.

Quote:
what are you trying to publish?

Book on education. Education publisher. etc. Not expecting to get there, just tired of waiting.

Cast a wide net. If you're really serious put together a rough and ready (two pages) proposal, go to one of the major national conferences where tons of publishers show up, and just shop it around table to table. I was sending to individual publishers, which takes forever, did the conference spam, and 4 serious offers on the book within a month.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:59 pm 
Global Moderator

i wish I was sitting around a campfire listening to kneetunes play her song.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:45 pm 
Supersonic

stip wrote:
Cast a wide net. If you're really serious put together a rough and ready (two pages) proposal, go to one of the major national conferences where tons of publishers show up, and just shop it around table to table. I was sending to individual publishers, which takes forever, did the conference spam, and 4 serious offers on the book within a month.

I put a proposal together when I sent what I had in to Heinemann. Can't imagine getting past the submissions editor without one. But I don't know much about the conferences. I'll look into it, once I get rejected here, but I'm not really sure travel's a viable option at this time, so.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:43 pm 
Unthought Known

Bada, really tasty chops. Guitars were a bit fuzzy, but otherwise a great take.

Mc, can't believe you hung up the recording thing. This is well done and the production is top notch, as usual. 1:20 to 1:24, the guitar scrape, the delay on the vocals. You're a dick. Falsetto sounded good, too. Plus, I like the original a bit more than stip.

Ms.Tunes, you have style. Loved the vocal layers. Didn't expect them with how stripped down the rest sounded. I would've doubled the guitar too, but I'm an over-doer.

Song choice played a part. I'm a bit anti ZZ Top, I think.

Mc and Ms.Tunes

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:55 am 
Former PJ Drummer

Bada and McP.

Def not a favorite Waits tune but i loved the instrumentation and mix. Great little flourishes.

Bada - Badass. I liked it.

KneeTunes - Sorry girl. Def enjoyed it and the sitting around a campfire or sotmping our feet on the wooden porch is great and i hope to do that with ya someday!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:00 am 
Supersonic

Self Polluted wrote:
Mc, can't believe you hung up the recording thing. This is well done and the production is top notch, as usual. 1:20 to 1:24, the guitar scrape, the delay on the vocals. You're a dick. Falsetto sounded good, too. Plus, I like the original a bit more than stip.

I've been doing some things.

Yeah, the sound on it turned out better than I'd expected. Got lucky. I foolishly felt the need to have it ready the night it was due (in hindsight, hilarious), and I was out of town the week before, so we had pretty much a single shot at it. Rehearsed twice, drank some coffee, recorded two run-throughs. Sometimes the gamble pays off. There are little things in there that I can't stand, or that I wish I could edit out, but I was really surprised by the sound in that third verse ("outside, it's damp..."). Whatever quality is there is pure dumb luck.

I literally have nothing left, though. No ideas for covers, no arrangements with others...so that sucks.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:16 am 
Got Some

McP and KT.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:48 am 
Force of Nature

Damn, pretty heavy round. I'm gonna have to vote McP. He went all out with the vocals, sounded like a lot of effort to get all the different voicings. I'm curious what reverb setting that was on the vox, really accented the "shhhh"s in that classic record kind of sound.

The ZZ top one was excellent as fuck, too. Good fun vocals and riffs, it all came together nicely.

Edit: lol, forgot the 2 votes thing. 2nd vote is for Bada.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:58 pm 
Supersonic

executed anyhow wrote:
Damn, pretty heavy round. I'm gonna have to vote McP. He went all out with the vocals, sounded like a lot of effort to get all the different voicings. I'm curious what reverb setting that was on the vox, really accented the "shhhh"s in that classic record kind of sound.

Moved around too much, though. Couple of louds and softs got undercut because I was all over the damn place.

For the sound of it, one of the things I didn't sell off last year was a Yamaha Rev100...mostly because it's not worth very much. A lot of people don't like them because they're not very not subtle. They just color the shit out of everything. For reverb, which is what most people buy it for, that sounds kinda stupid a lot of the time. But when you use it for delay? Blammo. I couldn't tell you my exact settings...just twiddled knobs till I liked it. As I said, things were rushed.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:44 pm 
Stone's Bitch

My votes go to McP and Knee Tunes..

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:34 pm 
Unthought Known
 WWW  Profile

Three good covers. Bada, I liked your singing a lot, I wasn't bothered a lot by how buried it is. Seems to fit that calculated mess of a song with the fuzziness perfectly. However, I'm not sure if I would have accented that riff the way you did. It seems to take away from the grove a bit.

McP, cool, a bit haunted cover. I would have liked your voice to be a bit stronger in places, though. It's hard to describe. Yeah, I know, I'm not the one to really give advice on singing... so there you go.

Kneetunes, I liked the guitar playing a lot... do you record the vocals and the guitar simultaneously? It sounds like you're a bit too concentrated on the guitar so the singing seems a bit unfocused.

Hard to vote, but... voting for Bada and McP.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:42 pm 
Unthought Known

Didn't really know any of the songs. Votes for Bada and McP.

"Remember back the early days when you were young and thus amazed."

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:31 am 
Stone's Bitch

Sorry I haven't been around. Started new job that is taking all of my time. I just don't have time for this right now...crazy amount of training that barely gives me time to sleep. I'm going to have to forfeit the next round...maybe the round after that. I'll know more in a few days. I'll try and vote later

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 780 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 39  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Other Bands