Board index » Word on the Street... » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 616 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 31  Next
 Post subject: Re: the frames
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:03 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

i've only really listened to burn the maps, but i think it's awesome. keepsake is amazing. i should check out some of their other stuff i guess.

i tried listening to setlist a couple of times, but i found it kind of all-over-the-place. i may be better off sticking to studio albums first.

durdencommatyler wrote:
iPones, man. Fuck.

Proud member of: Team Binaural and Team Argo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:23 am 
Got Some

dimejinky99 wrote:
solace wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
So Broadly what we're gettin at is the frames are fuckin amazin, even at both ends of their spectrum..my favourites would be yours in exactly the revrse order...
Setlist is up there..

For The Birds is their best all around album, and certainly the best sounding Frames record, but Devil & Fitz have the highest % of my favorite all-time Frames songs

depends what yer into i spose...this is OT..ive got one of these and was wondering is it worth more or less if i get glen to sign it somewhere subtle? i was thinking about on the gas tank, really small..watcha reckon?

Love that poster dime! Is it available anywhere?

If closing every show with RITFW and YL isn't telling us to fuck off, I don't know what is.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:28 am 
Former PJ Drummer
 WWW  Profile

That poster is sold out to the Nth degree..i hadta beg their merch girl Chérie for the very very last two a few weeks ago..they got here and i'm not kidding, in reality it kicks the shit out of every Pj poster i have..the purple&blues are metallic but really subtle..i cant say enough good things..you can try trade for it on expressobeans.com but best of luck..Ryan is a great artist and this is being coveted and rightly so..

unless you have a Toronto 06 Klausen i'll deffo trade ye!!

Last edited by dimejinky99 on Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:32 am 
Got Some

sorry no toronto poster, I'm not one of the hard-core poster-heads...just have DC 2006 and I'm not giving that up. :lol:

If closing every show with RITFW and YL isn't telling us to fuck off, I don't know what is.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:18 pm 
Former PJ Drummer
 WWW  Profile

Swell Season on Good Morning America this Friday
Glen and Marketa are performing on GMA this Friday. Just thought I'd let you all know.

also you can see them here performing on the Artists Den from Seattle.
http://www.theartistsden.com/videos/swellseason/

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:53 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Holy fuck. Since the whole 'Once' Oscar/Sundance business, Glen is no longer Ireland's little secret. To be expected? Completely. Those of us who've known him years have been waiting for it.
But...
I just went and visited the board at theframes.ie. What was once an intelligent community of dedicated Frames fans has turned into the Pearl Jam Synergy board (and Counting Crows' official board, too, for that matter).

Here's a sample (spelling and grammer all his/hers):

"first timer.
Last nights show was amazing! Glen is fantastic and so cute!!! His explaination of the songs and comical words were such an extra bonus to the music. Mar was wonderful and adorable as well. Thanks for a super evening Mom!"

This girl just posted (spelling and grammar all hers):
"OMGOMGOMG i was looking in an old popele magazine that came out after the Oscars and they had an image of Glen and Marketa with their Oscar awards!!!!! c SOOOOOO COOL"

What the fuck is Glen (or anybody) supposted to say to people like this? This other fella replied to her post. He just said "jaysus this place has changed." Truer words were never spoken. No wonder famous people end up living in a (metaphorical) bubble. :roll:

Shawn Smith: 1 in 2008

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:58 am 
AnalLog

I'm sure they'd like to return all the cash.

Always do the right thing.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:58 am 
Reissued

The really bad part is that The Frames aren't that good to begin with.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:02 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Mickey wrote:

Objectively, I can see how'd you think that from the recorded output. Live is a whole different ballgame. I've walked out of some of their gigs thinking "they're the best band treading the boards right now". Live, they can be THAT good.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:07 am 
Reissued

randallanddarcy wrote:
Mickey wrote:

Objectively, I can see how'd you think that from the recorded output. Live is a whole different ballgame. I've walked out of some of their gigs thinking "they're the best band treading the boards right now". Live, they can be THAT good.

See, that's what everyone tells me. The Cost and Burn The Maps are ok, yeah, but really nothing to write home about. If they ever came to the southeast US, I'd test this theory.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:47 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Mickey wrote:
randallanddarcy wrote:
Mickey wrote:

See, that's what everyone tells me. The Cost and Burn The Maps are ok, yeah, but really nothing to write home about. If they ever came to the southeast US, I'd test this theory.

Mickey, you just namechecked the 2 albums of theirs I like least. Go listen to 'Dance the Devil' , 'Fitzcarraldo' or the live album, 'Setlist'. They're the best ones, I feel. Much respect for wanting to see them live before making a definitive judgement :thumbsup:
I think the Swell Season are touring the US in May/June, and members of the Frames are playing with Glen and Marketa, but it won't be truly the Frames, unfortunately. I would imagine those gigs will be forsaking the 'rock' in favour of slower tunes and songs from the 'Once' soundtrack. If you happen to see the Swell Season, you'll have to regard it as it's own thing, not as the Frames. I hope when the whole 'Once'/Oscar buzz dies down for Glen, the real Frames will be put to the forefront of his priorities again. Time will tell. I really hope so. I've seen the Frames probably 20 or 30 times, but only twice last year (May, and New Year's Eve). Both gigs reminded me of how good they really are live.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:50 am 
Reissued

randallanddarcy wrote:
Mickey wrote:
randallanddarcy wrote:
Mickey wrote:

Mickey, you just namechecked the 2 albums of theirs I like least. Go listen to 'Dance the Devil' , 'Fitzcarraldo' or the live album, 'Setlist'. They're the best ones, I feel. Much respect for wanting to see them live before making a definitive judgement :thumbsup:
I think the Swell Season are touring the US in May/June, and members of the Frames are playing with Glen and Marketa, but it won't be truly the Frames, unfortunately. I would imagine those gigs will be forsaking the 'rock' in favour of slower tunes and songs from the 'Once' soundtrack. If you happen to see the Swell Season, you'll have to regard it as it's own thing, not as the Frames. I hope when the whole 'Once'/Oscar buzz dies down for Glen, the real Frames will be put to the forefront of his priorities again. Time will tell. I really hope so. I've seen the Frames probably 20 or 30 times, but only twice last year (May, and New Year's Eve). Both gigs reminded me of how good they really are live.

Those are the only two I have. Perhaps that explains why I never liked them.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:50 am 
Banned from the Pit
 WWW  Profile

i saw the swell season last night in oakland and it was easily one of the best shows i've seen in a long time. i can't recommend them enough. it was really great. (the frames are my favorite band along with pearl jam)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:02 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah
 WWW  Profile

Mickey wrote:

Those are the only two I have. Perhaps that explains why I never liked them.

yeah, those are easily 2 of of the Frames weakest records... i mean i still love them, and both have a handful of utterly amazing songs, but as records on the whole they don't hold up to For The Birds, Dance The Devil, or Fitz.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:26 am 
Spaceman

try dance the devil, mick.

To ease the pain of idleness and the memory of decay.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 6:10 pm 
Former PJ Drummer
 WWW  Profile

The Fun stuff..(fake)

The arty stuff..(people all get ready)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:22 am 
Former PJ Drummer
 WWW  Profile

The frames instigate a marshmallow war at Telluride...great clip...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:46 pm 
trying to make a career out of postwhoring

I just added Fitzcarraldo to my collection. Really enjoying it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:38 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

The song Fitzcarraldo is one of Glen's best, in my opinion. And it's got the mighty Revelate, of course. What an opener! And Red Chord, which is rarely played anymore, but can be epic live. I saw 'em do that in Galway in 2002. Went for 16 minutes. Must have had 10 bits of covers thrown in. Then Glen invited half the crowd onstage and it half collapsed. Crackin' show. Ah, the memories. I have a bootleg of that one, actually.

There's a Fitzcarraldo version 1 if anyone's interested. Had a green cover. I have an original. The Fitz ye get now (orange cover) is completely re-recorded from the original green one. Completely different recording. (They changed labels after recording version 1; and the new label made 'em re-record it). Slightly different tracklisting. Sounds completely different to the available version. I can upload if it's allowable and anyone's interested. Fuck I love the Frames.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:51 am 
trying to make a career out of postwhoring

You would have to pm the link to anyone interested most likely. And I'm interested whenever you get the chance to upload it. :)

I think my favorite on the album is Angel at My Table. Revelate, Fitzcarraldo, Say It To Me Now, and Red Chord are right up there.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 616 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 31  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Other Bands