jack johnson
slayer
slipknot
neil young
moe
motorhead
willie nelson
john cougar mellencamp

loved pjs set in philly, even tho it was a short festival.. gtlo and dso are tribute bands, but whatever, they both are so good.. first time i saw just dave and tim together and it didnt let down, great set.. jack johnson was surprisingly really good.. slayer and slipknot kicked ass, the burning upside down crosses during the slayer show was nuts haha.. i love neil and moe to death, just wish the sets were better.. dont know much motorhead but the show made me dl a bunch.. i thought the jcm show was decent, not the biggest fan but pretty pumped to hear blood on the scarecrow and authority song

shit i wish i saw but missed - tame impala, black keys, dave matthews band, umphreys mcgee, social d, peach festival (allmans, warren haynes, railroad earth), jay z...... oh and eddie vedder in ft lauderdale last weekend (mainly cuz i wanted to see that and go to the fins game the next day.. they lost tho so oh well)

dvds -> http://db.etree.org/lukinman

Post subject: Re: Rate your 2012 shows
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:34 am 
Supersonic

pearl jam (philly)
get the led out
dave matthews and tim reynolds
dark star orchestra
jack johnson
slayer
slipknot
neil young
moe
motorhead
willie nelson
john cougar mellencamp

loved pjs set in philly, even tho it was a short festival.. gtlo and dso are tribute bands, but whatever, they both are so good.. first time i saw just dave and tim together and it didnt let down, great set.. jack johnson was surprisingly really good.. slayer and slipknot kicked ass, the burning upside down crosses during the slayer show was nuts haha.. i love neil and moe to death, just wish the sets were better.. dont know much motorhead but the show made me dl a bunch.. i thought the jcm show was decent, not the biggest fan but pretty pumped to hear blood on the scarecrow and authority song

shit i wish i saw but missed - tame impala, black keys, dave matthews band, umphreys mcgee, social d, peach festival (allmans, warren haynes, railroad earth), jay z...... oh and eddie vedder in ft lauderdale last weekend (mainly cuz i wanted to see that and go to the fins game the next day.. they lost tho so oh well)

dvds -> http://db.etree.org/lukinman

Post subject: Re: Rate your 2012 shows
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:16 am 
Administrator

ok, for festivals I'll just rate the shows I was looking forward to...

Of Monsters and Men - late may - Marquee, Tempe - C - didn't like the opening band, and sound in that venue is notoriously awful. Couldn't get into it.
Yonder Mountain String Band - June 20 - Telluride Conference Center, Telluride - A - they were as good as I've seen them... Only stayed for the first set though.
Dan Mangan - June 21 - Telluride Town Park - B+ - loved his banter, could've had a better setlist though. crowd wasn't really into him.
Laura Marling - June 21 - Telluride Town Park - C+ - she barely arrived due to travel difficulties, and didn't seem totally ready.
Punch Brothers - June 21 - Elks Park, Telluride - A - Some great covers, including tributes to Doc Watson, Earl Scruggs, and Levon Helm (played "Ophelia"). Also, they're "Ahoy" meme originated during this set.
Elephant Revival - June 21 - Sheridan Opera House, Telluride - A - Solid, intimate performance. Not better or worse than January, though.
Bela Fleck & The Marcus Roberts Trio - June 22 - Telluride Town Park - A - Was blown away by these guys.
John Fogerty - June 22 - Telluride Town Park - A - rocking. It was like watching CCR play all their hits.
Head For The Hills - June 22 - Fly Me To The Moon Saloon, Telluride - A- - The guys were great, venue sucked. Had a lot of fun in the first set before everybody showed up, but it went downhill from there.
Sam Bush - June 23 - Telluride Town Park - A+ - best Sam Bush set yet. 15 minute Cripple Creek and Spinal Tap's "Big Bottom" with five bass players is all that needs to be said.
The Devil Makes Three - June 23 - Fly Me To The Moon Saloon, Telluride - D - crappy venue was packed from the beginning. not their fault, but it was hell.
Joy Kills Sorrow - June 24 - Telluride Town Park - A - great band. closest acoustic band to Punch Brothers, as far as talent and creativity are concerned.
Punch Brothers - June 24 - Telluride Town Park - A- - my least favorite Punch Brothers show of the weekend. The Bach piece with Rob Moose was cool, though.
Glen Hansard - June 24 - Telluride Town Park - A - Glen was surprisingly good.
Punch Brothers - June 24 - Sheridan Opera House, Telluride - A+ - one of my favorite shows ever. lasted probably three hours, played lots of covers, lots of solos... Highlights were the soulful D'Angelo cover with Noam Pickelny sporting shades, and Ed Helms joining the band for a few songs.
Head For The Hills - early July - Flagstaff Brewing Company - A- - band was great. only stayed for the first set because I was getting tired. crowd had some douches.
Old 97's - late August - Crescent Ballroom, PHX - A - lots of energy. great live band. best crowd I've seen in phoenix.
Chris Robinson Brotherhood - mid September - Fox Theater, Boulder - B - kinda what I expected... nice jams. only stayed for the first set because I needed a few hours of sleep that night.
William Elliot Whitmore - late September - Rhythm Room, PHX - F - first experience with this venue; didn't know they'd tack an extra opening act on. the extra act actually turned out alright, they were a local band called Mr. Mudd and Mr. Gold. The 2nd opening act was just dreadful though, and it was already late. Didn't even get to see Mr. Whitmore.
Milk Carton Kids - late September - Rhythm Room, PHX - A - learned my lesson and showed up late. these guys are hilarious.
Dry The River - October 5 - The Independent, San Francisco - C - they were kinda meh
Justin Townes Earle - October 6 - Hardly Strictly Bluegrass, SF - B- - coulda picked a better setlist, I think.
Jenny Lewis w/ Heartless Bastards - October 6 - Great American Music Hall, SF - A - one of those rare shows where I liked both the headliner and the opening act.
Giant Giant Sand - October 7 - Hardly Strictly Bluegrass, SF - A - good time; joined by John Paul Jones for three songs.
Son Volt - October 7 - Hardly Strictly Bluegrass - B+ - good, but wasn't blown away.
Calexico w/ The Dodos - late October - A - I like the Dodos, but Calexico upstaged them. Not that that's bad...
Giant Sand - October 30 - B+ - wasn't as inspiring as their HSB set.
Brandi Carlile w/ Seattle Symphony Orchestra - November 23 - Benaroya Hall, Seattle - A - amazing. Thought it would be hard to beat until...
Brandi Carlile w/ Seattle Symphony Orchestra - November 24 - Benaroya Hall, Seattle - A+ - ...she brought some young buskers from Pike Place Market on stage and let them play a song, and did a tribute to Jimi by performing Voodoo Chile with Mr. Mike McCready.
Punch Brothers w/ Milk Carton Kids - November 25 - The Neptune, Seattle - A+ - suddenly, opening acts seem a lot better. The audience was awesome, lots of energy even during the opening act. And the crowd was able to be quiet enough to allow Punch Brothers to play their last three songs in the encore completely unplugged.

So that's that...
Remaining shows:
Punch Brothers w/ Milk Carton Kids - December 5 - Crescent Ballroom, PHX
Justin Townes Earle - December 13 - Crescent Ballroom, PHX
Punch Brothers w/ Jeffrey Lewis - December 29 - Bowery Ballroom, NYC
Punch Brothers w/ Aiofe O'Donovan - December 30 - Bowery Ballroom, NYC
Punch Brothers w/ Michael Daves - December 31 - Bowery Ballroom, NYC

Board index » Word on the Street... » Other Bands