Board index » Word on the Street... » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 163 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 8:04 pm 
Force of Nature

62strat wrote:
i hate them because they still are creed. no difference to my ears. still crap.

Have you heard the ENTIRE cd? They don't sound like creed (just on the single)

We have this new channel at our high school called channel one new, its a nationwide national news station for high schools, and they played down to my last today. Could that possibly be one of thier singles?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 8:54 pm 
Got Some

Roger Daltrey wrote:
62strat wrote:

Yes, and it does sound like Creed with wank guitar.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 8:56 pm 
Force of Nature

bknollenberg wrote:
Roger Daltrey wrote:
62strat wrote:

*Starts acting like dean corso*

No, your wrong, it sounds nothing like creed :lol:

I respect your opinion but i dont think it sounds anything like creed other than open your eyes

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 1:50 am 
Force of Nature

bknollenberg wrote:
Roger Daltrey wrote:
62strat wrote:

even IF it was merely creed with wank guitar it would be an improvement on what passes as rock on our airwaves. how many modern rock bands actually have a lead guitarist half as good as tremonti? do nickelback? do puddle of mudd? do switchfoot? even better bands such as live and fuel don't have guitarists in the same league.

anyhow i'm of the opinion 4 of the songs sound like they were destined for the 4th creed album that never happened. the others are a depature and some songs like metalingus would never have made it on to a creed cd because stapp wouldn't want it on there. plus the singer sounds much more like geoff tate instead of eddie vedder and kennedy is a much more naturally talented singer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 1:51 am 
Force of Nature

was looking around at http://www.antimusic.com and found this;

When I decided I wanted to cover this show at The Rock Club, I have to admit I think it was more out of curiosity than actual appreciation or interest for the band Alter Bridge. For those of you who don't know the band, you may know them in their previous life as Creed. With the dismissal of former lead singer Scott Stapp, the former entity has been given new life, a new sound, a new lead singer and a new legion of fans.

Before I get into the main attraction of the evening, I need to give mad props to the opening act Submersed. This band was off the hook. They say, everything's bigger in Texas. Well, these Stephenville, Texas, boys have a sound and music bigger than their state's motto. Despite their bawdy and solid sound, their musical inspiration is enlightening and truly thought provoking for world and personal change. Lead singer Donald Carpenter's lyrical expression of wearing his heart, and all his personal trials and inner demons on his sleeve doesn't come across sappy or gushy. The emotional introspective look at lives and events that make people think and react via such songs as "Hollow", show that a person can feel the most intense negativity but at the same time the most positive energy. It exemplifies the how we as people can both love and hate at the same time, yet struggle to choose one or the other.

In music it tends to be assumed that if your music has a definite, positive, or blatantly thought provoking message, then your validity to rock is weakened or compromised. It's a stereotype that fortunately is being proven wrong with such bands as Alter Bridge, POD, Switchfoot and Submersed. The fact that all five members of Submersed are very proactive in the conception of all of their songs, the end result is hard hitting rock music. Despite the first response of many people to not give opening bands a chance, Submersed pretty much left everyone's jaws on the floor at The Rock Club. Their impressive 45 minute set included most of their debut CD entitled "In Due Time". For those who came early to either drink or get a good spot in front of the stage got a treat by one of the most
impressive up and coming bands I have seen in a very long time. They instantly won over the crowd with their music and enthusiasm. Any naysayers in the audience were silenced if thoughts of a mediocre open act were assumed when they walked in the door that night. Submersed, definitely stole the show in my opinion for the evening.

Like I said, I truly think many of the people who came out to see Alter Bridge wanted to see if they were as good or better than their previous alter ego. From the buzz in the room, a lot of people actually wanted them to be fail in some way. It's hard to win over an old audience with a new lead singer, not to mention a whole new name and musical outlook. However, despite name changes and new faces the talent that made Creed popular is still the root and soul of Alter Bridge. The similarities between the band and their opening act may have a lot to due with the fact that Mark Tremonti produced the Submersed CD. I too was curious as to how they would hold up live to the image I had of them from the past. Myles Kennedy vocals are haunting similar to that of Creed's lead singer Scott Stapp. But leave all comparisons otherwise at the front door. Kennedy seems to have brought a renewed life to Alter Bridge. His stage presence is hypnotizing and his vocal range is equally impressive. The band has lost a little bit of their edge, but doesn't fall short of pleasing the crowd with their music. For those who went to this showing wanted to hate, whether they want to admit it or not were obviously impressed. The release of the CD still proves these guys have the what it takes to move listeners and an audience with their brand of alternative rock. They didn't deprive the audience members who may not have even picked up the CD to a full show. It was a slow transition of the hour plus set to bring the audience completely around and accept the reincarnation of this band. Creed is gone, they will never exist again. What Tremonti, Kennedy, Phillips and Marshall have achieved is taking their talent as a lyrical and musical artists to a new level. They can keep or lose former fans, but they are constantly winning over new ones with the release of the CD and the intimate live shows that truly showcase their talent as a rock band.

My curiosity fulfilled, and new respect given to both Submersed and Alter Bridge who won over old and new fans with their show at The Rock Club in Pittsburgh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 5:09 am 
Got Some

Roger Daltrey wrote:
bknollenberg wrote:
Roger Daltrey wrote:
62strat wrote:

*Starts acting like dean corso*

No, your wrong, it sounds nothing like creed :lol:

I respect your opinion but i dont think it sounds anything like creed other than open your eyes

If you're going to try to act me, please do a better job of it. Everyone knows that I can differentiate between "your" and "you're."

Of course it's going to sound like Creed. I mean, JESUS CHRIST! 3/4 of the band was in Creed.

GREED MAKES THE WORLD GO 'ROUND!

Dean Corso for Mod 2005!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 5:10 am 
Got Some

asurrrrrpriseleft wrote:
bknollenberg wrote:
Roger Daltrey wrote:
62strat wrote:

even IF it was merely creed with wank guitar it would be an improvement on what passes as rock on our airwaves. how many modern rock bands actually have a lead guitarist half as good as tremonti? do nickelback? do puddle of mudd? do switchfoot? even better bands such as live and fuel don't have guitarists in the same league.

anyhow i'm of the opinion 4 of the songs sound like they were destined for the 4th creed album that never happened. the others are a depature and some songs like metalingus would never have made it on to a creed cd because stapp wouldn't want it on there. plus the singer sounds much more like geoff tate instead of eddie vedder and kennedy is a much more naturally talented singer.

Thank good hearing that someone else picked up the OBVIOUS Geoff Tate vibe in that dude's voice.

Dean Corso for Mod 2005!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 6:06 am 
Force of Nature

Thank good hearing that someone else picked up the OBVIOUS Geoff Tate vibe in that dude's voice.[/quote]

no you are far from the only one. the most common names i have seen associated with his voice are chris cornell, geoff tate, dio, jeff buckley and robert plant. if you are going to be compared to anyone it may as well be the above names.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 6:08 am 
Got Some

asurrrrrpriseleft wrote:
Thank good hearing that someone else picked up the OBVIOUS Geoff Tate vibe in that dude's voice.

no you are far from the only one. the most common names i have seen associated with his voice are chris cornell, geoff tate, dio, jeff buckley and robert plant. if you are going to be compared to anyone it may as well be the above names.[/quote]

But he doesn't sound like Cornell or Buckley AT ALL. Geoff Tate all the way.

Dean Corso for Mod 2005!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 6:12 am 
Force of Nature

Dean Corso wrote:
asurrrrrpriseleft wrote:

no you are far from the only one. the most common names i have seen associated with his voice are chris cornell, geoff tate, dio, jeff buckley and robert plant. if you are going to be compared to anyone it may as well be the above names.

But he doesn't sound like Cornell or Buckley AT ALL. Geoff Tate all the way.[/quote]

how much of his material have you actually heard?

listen to the end of "find the real" and tell me cornell doesn't pop into your head as he goes high in that head voice of his which is distinctly cornell like.

then if you can download it listen to the mayfield four's "summergirl" and the second half of that song espescially sounds like jeff buckley. listen to his previous work with citizen swing and names like marvin gaye and stevie wonder come to mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 7:05 am 
Got Some

I've got this guy's voice nailed 100% now. Geoff Tate and Ian Astbury. When he tries to go for that really high sound, that's when you'll hear the Ian Astbury in his voice (it's just a little smoother) but there's also some Shawn Albro of U.P.O. in there. Again, I maintain that this guy does NOT sound like Cornell.

Edit: Also note that he sounds like Jeff Scott Soto (I THINK it's him) and the other guy who contributed to the vocals to the "fictional" band Steel Dragon who appeared on the Rock Star soundtrack.

Dean Corso for Mod 2005!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 7:08 am 
Force of Nature

Dean Corso wrote:
I've got this guy's voice nailed 100% now. Geoff Tate and Ian Astbury. When he tries to go for that really high sound, that's when you'll hear the Ian Astbury in his voice (it's just a little smoother) but there's also some Shawn Albro of U.P.O. in there. Again, I maintain that this guy does NOT sound like Cornell.

ian astbury? i don't think i've heard that one before. he sounds like geoff tate who has listened to old school r and b records of late. his higher range is not quite as good but he has a better lower range where some morons even said in OYE he sounds like stapp. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 7:10 am 
Got Some

asurrrrrpriseleft wrote:
Dean Corso wrote:

ian astbury? i don't think i've heard that one before. he sounds like geoff tate who has listened to old school r and b records of late. his higher range is not quite as good but he has a better lower range where some morons even said in OYE he sounds like stapp. :roll:

His enunciation is very similar to Stapp's.

Dean Corso for Mod 2005!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 7:19 am 
Force of Nature

His enunciation is very similar to Stapp's.[/quote]

that is true and the vocal hooks used in open your eyes are similar to something like one last breath. but as i've stated multiple times one is a baritione and the other is a tenor. how can they possibly be compared?
kennedy wails in that song. i'ld love to see stapp try to hold on to crazy notes bring it down and then go back up again and still have power in his voice. btw perhaps moron is a bit strong but i just don't see how people can put them in the same basket.

he does sound like that guy from steel dragon. i think this was covered earlier in the thread but kennedy had a brief part in that movie where is he pulled up by mark and that is him singing there. thor god of thunnnndderrr....lol

i believe the band played some gigs and myles got to share a stage with zakk wylde amongst others. ian thornley a good friend of kennedy's does sound more like cornell i think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 7:23 am 
Got Some

asurrrrrpriseleft wrote:
His enunciation is very similar to Stapp's.

that is true and the vocal hooks used in open your eyes are similar to something like one last breath. but as i've stated multiple times one is a baritione and the other is a tenor. how can they possibly be compared?
kennedy wails in that song. i'ld love to see stapp try to hold on to crazy notes bring it down and then go back up again and still have power in his voice. btw perhaps moron is a bit strong but i just don't see how people can put them in the same basket.

he does sound like that guy from steel dragon. i think this was covered earlier in the thread but kennedy had a brief part in that movie where is he pulled up by mark and that is him singing there. thor god of thunnnndderrr....lol

i believe the band played some gigs and myles got to share a stage with zakk wylde amongst others. ian thornley a good friend of kennedy's does sound more like cornell i think.[/quote]

Ian Thornley. That's the other guy I was thinking of who Kennedy sounds like.

The thing about Stapp. People do need to realize that Tremonti wrote a lot of the lyrics and melodies, so of course there's going to be some Stapp overtones. I mean, he was the other half of the Creed machine.

Dean Corso for Mod 2005!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 7:29 am 
Force of Nature

yeah ian thornley is cool as well although thornely sounds way too much cornell singing for nickelback for my liking. big wreck for were cool but thornley is consistent rather than brillant.

good point about the melodies dean. this album is almost a tremonti solo album with some help by the other three guys. he was written all the music, the bass parts, 60% or so of the lyrics and only kennedy has has helped with some melodies. the next album is where its at as myles will write more of the album i think. his previous band the mayfield four were really good so the second album should be a further improvement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 7:33 am 
Got Some

I haven't heard the Thornley record, but I really liked Big Wreck a lot. I was weirded out when I found out that they broke up.

Dean Corso for Mod 2005!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 7:35 am 
Force of Nature

i prefer big wreck but thornley are not too bad. with ian you can't go wrong but yeah wreck are better. will be a sweet day when tremonti finally gets around to doing that speed metal project he has talked about since 99 or so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 8:30 pm 
Force of Nature

He has a speed metal album coming out? Didn't know that

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 1:19 am 
Force of Nature

Roger Daltrey wrote:
He has a speed metal album coming out? Didn't know that

no but it has being talked about for years and is simply a matter of time. there was a rumoured version of a band with a couple of the guys from sevendust. mark was actually looking at forming a band with some of the guys from slipknot but that didn't happen. hopefully when the band has a break it will happen.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 163 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Other Bands