Board index » Word on the Street... » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 264 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Replacements
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:55 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

Gods' Die wrote:
Strat, Stereo is fucking phenomenal. Holy shit...blew my expectations outta the water.

So so glad you enjoyed it! Pretty amazing record. Mono is such a great companion piece as well.

"The only lie worth telling" and "let the bad times roll" are two of my favorite westerberg songs.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:44 pm 
Got Some

62strat wrote:
Gods' Die wrote:
Strat, Stereo is fucking phenomenal. Holy shit...blew my expectations outta the water.

So so glad you enjoyed it! Pretty amazing record. Mono is such a great companion piece as well.

"The only lie worth telling" and "let the bad times roll" are two of my favorite westerberg songs.

I'm deciding I'm also gonna get more into his stuff with the 'Mats.

Come down off the cross we can use the wood.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:56 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

You have chosen wisely.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:29 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

I'm liking that Westerberg solo stuff you sent me, Strat. Much more dynamic than the Replacements stuff that I've heard. Stereo/Mono has road music written all over it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:50 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

washing machine wrote:
I'm liking that Westerberg solo stuff you sent me, Strat. Much more dynamic than the Replacements stuff that I've heard. Stereo/Mono has road music written all over it.

If youve only heard the early punk records than I can see why you'd think that. However, the diversity from Hootenany onward is pretty incredible.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:51 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

62strat wrote:
washing machine wrote:

If youve only heard the early punk records than I can see why you'd think that. However, the diversity from Hootenany onward is pretty incredible.

The ones I've heard are Tim and Let It Be.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:54 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

washing machine wrote:
62strat wrote:
washing machine wrote:

The ones I've heard are Tim and Let It Be.

Well then you are full of shit. Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:58 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

No, I just think that I heard those albums too late in life. I can't connect with them at all. I really like this solo stuff, though. I'm not putting you on.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:18 am 
Former PJ Drummer

http://blogs.citypages.com/gimmenoise/2 ... chives.php

​​Following last Friday's tribute to the Replacements at First Ave--this year's headline featured a star-studded performance of the Replacements' debut album, Sorry Ma, Forgot To Take Out The Trash--we thought it would be interesting to dig through the City Pages archives and look at some of the Replacements coverage during their early years.

They're arguably the most legendary boozers-and-users the Twin Cities music scene has ever managed to give birth to; and if you believe contemporary folklore, they were four drunken Jesuses who saved rock 'n' roll and singlehandedly created alternative music. Their booze-drenched, who-gives-a-shit debut is now a seminal artifact in the evolution of alternative rock; but what were we really saying about the Replacements, back when it was all happening?

Basically we loved them.

Following short stints as a jam band (Dogbreath) and proto-Replacements (The Impediments), the Mats history officially began in the spring of 1980, when a demo tape led to an almost immediate signing to Twin Cities mainstay Twin/Tone records, the influential label that also laid claim to The Suburbs and Curtiss A. The Mats' first advertised show appeared in the June 25, 1980 issue of the Twin Cities Reader-- a show alongside The Dads at The Longhorn (and featuring 88-cent wine coolers!). They spent the next year playing shows around the Twin Cities at The Longhorn (later Zoogies), Duffy's, 7th St. Entry, and an intriguing date with Curtiss A at the Walker on Valentine's Day. During the spring of '81, they recorded Trash, which would be released a few months later on August 25.

By early-1981, with nothing but a badass reputation, Westerberg, Mars and the Stinson bros. were already given a raving front-page writeup by City Pages (then called Sweet Potato). Trash was welcomed that fall to glowing reviews in both City Pages and the Twin Cities Reader. City Pages declared the album full of "pretty stupid, pretty wonderful rock 'n' roll songs...one you might learn to give a wee particle of fecal matter about." The album, with its punk roots and Westerberg's drunkenly disguised songwriting skills, helped pave the way for alternative rock, anticipated grunge--Nirvana in particular--and influenced countless others who were sick of punk's self-absorbed nihilism and radio-ready rock's fear of everything fun.

We loved the Replacements, but during the next few years it was The Suburbs and Hüsker Dü getting all the downtime write-ups. Every Mats 7" and EP was given an automatic A++, but it was Hüsker Dü getting full-page spreads for its 5-year anniversary; and The Suburbs were consistently declared the "best Twin Cities" band.

Regardless, our lovable boozers made huge strides in those years. When Let It Be came out in '84, music critics were sacrificing their daughters for Westerberg. R.E.M. had laid claim to the alternative school of jangle pop, but the Replacements were the vanguard of alt's drunken fuck-it side.

During the next five years...they signed to a major label, played-SNL-and-then-got-banned-from-SNL, made a 2nd perfect record (Tim), expelled Bob Stinson, released a few more albums...and then it was all over.

Trash is now 30 years old and Westerberg mostly stays away from the spotlight. We are left to random solo releases and a few random cameos. Thus, the reason the Twin Cities needs the now-annual Replacements Tribute. So, here's to next year.

and:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:33 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

Westerberg appears to be testing the waters for things to come. Super exciting. Made me bust out some music of his I haven't listened to in awhile. He is the master.

new song:

http://www.paulwesterberg.com/sounds/myroadnow.mp3

And this is just always fantastic:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:11 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/video ... e-20121003

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:37 pm 
Supersonic

Strat, I've been listening to Come Feel Me Tremble over the past couple of days. Loving it, man.

Thanks for sending me that stuff. I can't wait to really soak it up. I have this problem where if I really like the first track, I keep listening to it over and over. And Dirty Diesel is like whiskey for my ears. I can't stop that one!

Again, thank you.

Also, have you listened to any Brendon Benson? He seems to be heavily influenced by Westerberg. I've never heard him say as much, but you can hear it. He's nowhere near as interesting, but still a fun listen.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:41 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

durdencommatyler wrote:
Strat, I've been listening to Come Feel Me Tremble over the past couple of days. Loving it, man.

Thanks for sending me that stuff. I can't wait to really soak it up. I have this problem where if I really like the first track, I keep listening to it over and over. And Dirty Diesel is like whiskey for my ears. I can't stop that one!

Again, thank you.

Also, have you listened to any Brendon Benson? He seems to be heavily influenced by Westerberg. I've never heard him say as much, but you can hear it. He's nowhere near as interesting, but still a fun listen.

:luv:

Come feel me tremble is pretty great. What a day for a night and My Daydream are amazing. Great basement record from him. I really really think you are going to tear into Westerberg after some point. He is a genius.

I do listen to Brendan Benson. He has enough music for me to enjoy but a lot of crap as well. Definitely similar style of songwriting minus the authentic genius

Definitely curious to hear your thoughts on stereo/mono when you get there...

Good on ya, mate.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:45 pm 
Supersonic

I'm going to continue diving into this one. Once I know it better, I'll start branching out into something else. But I'm really enjoying this. I want to take it slow, ya know. No need to rush through.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:52 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

baby steps - This is an exciting ride.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:55 pm 
Supersonic

What's your favorite of his solo albums, strat?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:59 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

durdencommatyler wrote:
What's your favorite of his solo albums, strat?

Stereo/Mono - no question

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:07 pm 
Supersonic

I remember seeing that album (Stereo/Mono) in stores back in the day. I picked it up several times, but never bought it. Guess I should have.

Been reading up on him on wikipedia. That Grandpaboy record sounds interesting.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:11 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

Which Grandpaboy?

Stereo/Mono i believe were released separately as Mono was released as "Grandpaboy". Ultimately I believe it ended up being packaged together later on though. he also put out an EP and a Dead Man Shake (a blues record) under Grandpaboy - as well as some miscellaneous mp3's over the years.

Stereo/Mono is just perfect. Stereo is him from his basement and is typical heart on your sleeve westerberg. Some great melodies and amazing lyrics. The Mono s just full on rock n roll - at its finest.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:16 pm 
Supersonic

Oh, sorry. I misread. I didn't realize Grandpaboy was a sort of alter ego kind of thing. I'm at work and I was distracted. But "songs that were more blues-influenced and less slickly produced under the name Grandpaboy" was the sentence that caught me. I guess anything that is sort of stripped down and blues influenced sounds interesting.

Also, Pine Box is fucking amazing.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 264 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Other Bands