Board index » Word on the Street... » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3338 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166, 167  Next
 Post subject: Re: *The OFFICIAL Neil Young Thread*
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:49 am 
Got Some
 YIM  Profile

62strat wrote:
spenno wrote:
Not exactly.

I don't know, perhaps I'm in the wrong frame of mind right now, but I'm just enjoying Americana more.

Psych Pill is a major undertaking. You can't sit down real quick and skim through it. Neil and the horse sound great on Americana so its much easier to digest i think. Unfortunately, more than half the songs are pretty terrible. Its saved by the great playing. That being said : I love Travel On, Gallows Pole, High Flying bird.....

My only disappointment with Psych PIll is Poncho talking about how it rivals Ragged GLory. Which to that - it falls flat.

It is a great record though. I do think it may go down as a classic Neil and Horse record. The playing is great and the short songs have all you want in a classic Neil tune......

It may fall short of some classic NY/Horse albums (everyone has their own favs) and the long jams, may not be up to some of the classic long jams...

BUT

Its AWESOME that he got the mojo/groove itch to make one more Horse album while theyre all still able to make one more fucking awesome Horse album.

Walk Like A Giant though, I could listen too all night... that might be up in my top 10 NY songs (and I did actually listen to the album all night at work... Got some weird looks during that outro of Walk Like A Giant)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:21 am 
Master of Meh

MadTIGERmaN wrote:
It may fall short of some classic NY/Horse albums (everyone has their own favs) and the long jams, may not be up to some of the classic long jams...

BUT

Its AWESOME that he got the mojo/groove itch to make one more Horse album while theyre all still able to make one more fucking awesome Horse album.

Definitely.

I'm glad he made it and I'm glad they're still around to make the kind of noise only Neil and the Horse can summon up.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:35 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

"Psychedelic Pill" shouldn't feel bad about coming in second to "Americana." "Americana" is a triumph--it does exactly what it sets out to do, and you can hear the deliberateness--the "mission"--in the how tight and driving the performances are ("tight" of course taking on a relative meaning in Crazy Horse Land). "Pill" is its not-too-distant, wandering cousin--which, by knowing less about itself, may have the capacity to inadvertently touch upon more, but still lacks the resoluteness to function much beyond its own parameters (those being, "an essentially kickass Crazy Horse jam record"). Conversely, what "Americana" is is a challenging of how songs can function beyond their own parameters, and I think it opens itself up to a whole new plane of depth as a result--even if it too is, at base, an essentially kickass Crazy Horse jam record. I find the differences between the two similar to the differences between "Mirrorball" and "Broken Arrow"--the first is steady and forward-moving, while the second is tentative and sort of drifts. Both are necessary sides to Neil's personality.

That said, "Ramada Inn" might be Neil's best "words and music" credit since "I'm the Ocean." What a marvelous piece of work that is.

Strat, what songs on "Americana" do you think are "pretty horrible?"

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:42 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Kevin Davis wrote:
"Psychedelic Pill" shouldn't feel bad about coming in second to "Americana." "Americana" is a triumph--it does exactly what it sets out to do, and you can hear the deliberateness--the "mission"--in the how tight and driving the performances are ("tight" of course taking on a relative meaning in Crazy Horse Land). "Pill" is its not-too-distant, wandering cousin--which, by knowing less about itself, may have the capacity to inadvertently touch upon more, but still lacks the resoluteness to function much beyond its own parameters (those being, "an essentially kickass Crazy Horse jam record"). Conversely, what "Americana" is is a challenging of how songs can function beyond their own parameters, and I think it opens itself up to a whole new plane of depth as a result--even if it too is, at base, an essentially kickass Crazy Horse jam record. I find the differences between the two similar to the differences between "Mirrorball" and "Broken Arrow"--the first is steady and forward-moving, while the second is tentative and sort of drifts. Both are necessary sides to Neil's personality.

That said, "Ramada Inn" might be Neil's best "words and music" credit since "I'm the Ocean." What a marvelous piece of work that is.

Strat, what songs on "Americana" do you think are "pretty horrible?"

Ramada inn is great, its so easy to get lost in that amazing jam.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:50 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

Oh susanna
Tom Dula
God Save the queen

Its a fine record to listen to but feels more like a novelty. I do enjoy the playing on most tracks and I do think Gallows Pole ,Ge t job and travel on are great but the rest is fairly forgettable.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:59 pm 
Got Some

One listen in I'm digging it.
Love Ramada Inn and Walk like a Giant. Really digging She's Always Dancing.

I like Driftin Back and i kind of dig the long jab but i think if it got condensed to about 10 minutes or so i'd like it even more.

None of the shorter tracks really stood out to me.

Its neil and the horse. Exactly what you expected from them. They've been jamming the same tune for a long time and it ain't bad.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:38 pm 
Got Some
 WWW  Profile

I'd put this almost on-par with Ragged Glory. I say "almost" because it does meander just a bit too much, but the quality of the shorter songs I find more enjoyable than a lot of Ragged Glory, which to me was always just centered around two great songs.

Pound-for-pound / enjoyment-by-minute basis, I like Psychedelic Pill more than Ragged Glory. However there isn't a single song that is better than Fuckin' Up or Love and only Love.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:41 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

southp wrote:
I'd put this almost on-par with Ragged Glory. I say "almost" because it does meander just a bit too much, but the quality of the shorter songs I find more enjoyable than a lot of Ragged Glory, which to me was always just centered around two great songs.

Pound-for-pound / enjoyment-by-minute basis, I like Psychedelic Pill more than Ragged Glory. However there isn't a single song that is better than Fuckin' Up or Love and only Love.

*over and over

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:47 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

62strat wrote:
southp wrote:

*over and over

Ragged Glory has much more hooks than this one, that´s for sure...between fuckin up, over and over, days that used to be, love and only love...those are actually songs you can sing along, and the new record doesnt have that...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:18 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

I don't want this album to end. Its okay in drips and drabs, but it's really good in one fucking dollop. I think its sequenced wonderfully.

http://stackpapersgetpaid.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:03 pm 
Got Some
 WWW  Profile

It wouldn't be a discussion without some good ole' fashioned album ranking.
Favourite Neil studio record per decade (or in this case approximate decade)

Decade 1: Harvest - one of my favourite albums of all-time
Decade 2: Freedom - A lot the 80's albums I hardly know. Trans is very cool, but I have to go with the safe bet.
Decade 3: Mirror Ball - there weren't a lot of albums in the 90's but they were all phenomenal.
Decade 4: Prairie Wind or Psychedelic Pill - obviously quite different albums, and up until this week I would've said PW because it has that Harvest feel.

Decade 1
1968 Neil Young
1969 Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere[A]
1970 After the Gold Rush
1972 Harvest
1974 On the Beach
1975 Tonight's the Night
1975 Zuma[A]
1976 Long May You Run (Stills and Young)
1977 American Stars 'N Bars
1978 Comes a Time
1979 Rust Never Sleeps

Decade 2
1980 Hawks & Doves
1981 Re-ac-tor
1982 Trans
1983 Everybody's Rockin'
1985 Old Ways
1986 Landing on Water
1987 Life
1988 This Note's for You
1989 Eldorado
1989 Freedom

Decade 3
1990 Ragged Glory
1992 Harvest Moon
1994 Sleeps with Angels
1995 Mirror Ball
1996 Broken Arrow

Decade 4
2000 Silver & Gold
2002 Are You Passionate?
2003 Greendale
2005 Prairie Wind
2006 Living with War
2006 Living with War: "In the Beginning"
2007 Chrome Dreams II
2009 Fork in the Road
2010 Le Noise
2012 Americana
2012 Psychedelic Pill

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:05 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

We should have a new decade starting with Le Noise.

**sorry, I didn't see your specifying of "approximate" decade.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:08 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

I was listening to Americana last night and one thing that "Get a Job" cover makes painfully clear is that "Everybody's Rockin'" should have been a Crazy Horse album.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:39 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

Kevin Davis wrote:
I was listening to Americana last night and one thing that "Get a Job" cover makes painfully clear is that "Everybody's Rockin'" should have been a Crazy Horse album.

Yes!!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:16 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Poncho's rhythm playing on "Ramada Inn" is superb.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:54 pm 
Got Some

Decade 1- On the Beach
Decade 2- Freedom
Decade 3- Sleeps with Angels
Decade 4- Le Noise

Decade one is really tough. So many favorites. On the Beach, Zuma and After the Gold Rush all speak volumes to me. Decade two was pretty cut and dry the easiest of them all. Decade three boiled down to Ragged Glory and Sleeps with Angels, but catch me on the right day and I’m sure I might lean towards Harvest Moon. The last decade for me comes down to Greendale and Le Noise. I’m just a really big Le Noise fan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:57 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Decade 1
Tonight's the Night

Decade 2
Trans

Decade 3
Ragged Glory

Decade 4
Greendale

Pill is so good though.

http://stackpapersgetpaid.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:09 pm 
Got Some
 WWW  Profile

I liked seeing Trans on your list. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:35 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

southp wrote:
I liked seeing Trans on your list. :thumbsup:

i have to give trans a chance....

Zuma is soo good....and it sounds so good, too....seeing that list i recently remember how good silve and gold is, i need to listen to it quick.
What about Praire Wind? any fans?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:34 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

I really like the way the lyrics on this one just sort of hang over the music like some sort of lingering thought cloud. There's very little in the way of stories here. Instead, we're left with the residue from a warped mind punctuating the always coherent, yet seldom clean playing of Crazy Horse.

8/10.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3338 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166, 167  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Other Bands