Board index » Word on the Street... » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3338 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 167  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 5:12 am 
Of Counsel

lukin10 wrote:
I liked the austin city limits show from 86? or was it 84. There was a dvd recently hosted on dime for it. Anyways, thats mainly cause it has, in my opinion, the best version of helpless around. Well either that version or the SNACK benefit one with dylan and the band. The fact that neil was in prime form for down by the river was nice as well. Nothing is perfect is an underappreciated song as well. I'm not a big fan of the few country songs he did, and i can't get into Amber Jean. But for helpless and down by the river its a prime show alone. He could have played tbone for 20 minutes straight and i would still love this show. thats how good those 2 are.

I always liked that ACL show (9-25-84, BTW), but there are other country era Neil shows I prefer. Some of the best are from the late summer of 85 when he started playing Grey Riders, and Southern Pacific is awesome with the country band, and This Old House.

Quote:
speaking of various versions of helpless. Which version is your guy's favorite? There is the deja vu version with CSNY and strings and such. I don't like that one much. The solo guitar version similar to austin city limits. The MTV unplugged one with piano intro and other such played. The full band with organ and guitar, where neil leads off with the harmonica solo, similar to the SNACK benefit one with dylan and the band.

I'm not a big fan of the song, but I like it either solo acoustic or solo piano the best.

A couple of my other favorite shows are 11-13-90, Crazy Horse at the Catalyst, which I mentioned briefly earlier in the thread. This is my favorite electric show, with 11-15-76 (late) in Chicago as a close second. Peace Of Mind live with Crazy Horse in 76 is awesome. 8-27-88 Jones Beach with the Bluenotes is essential. It's almost all Bluenotes material, but it is just so good, including the definitive Ordinary People, Neil's greatest unreleased song. I'm also a big fan of those Catalyst shows from Feb 84 with Crazy Horse. There are a few unreleased songs from those shows, as well as a few of the Landing On Water songs, which sound great with Crazy Horse, especially those 10:00 versions of Touch The Night.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:36 pm 
Force of Nature

I dont' have any bluenotes shows!!!! Its a crime i know...i didn't listen to neil's bluenotes stuff until just the past few months, outside of ordinary people of course.

Because, i heard from a lot of other people that the blue notes sucked outside of "this notes for you" and "ordinary people" and a few other rarities. But i just figured i'd judge for myself, and i love what i've heard from the cd itself and a decent amount of select rarities. But i have yet to get a few show.

I'm just hoping they'll be some that show up on dime soon.

My only main issue with "ordinary people" and that jones beach version you are talking about. is one line....and it really irks me. around the 10/11 minute mark he goes "i got faith in the reagen mind" and it just.....eck.

I heard landing on water...not a big fan at all of the cd. I liked hippie dream...but nothing else really. I only got the cd cause i heard "touch the night" live and i had to hear the studio version...what a letdown.

I'll be sure to seek out some of those shows you mentioned, thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:26 pm 
Of Counsel

lukin10 wrote:
I dont' have any bluenotes shows!!!! Its a crime i know...i didn't listen to neil's bluenotes stuff until just the past few months, outside of ordinary people of course.

Because, i heard from a lot of other people that the blue notes sucked outside of "this notes for you" and "ordinary people" and a few other rarities. But i just figured i'd judge for myself, and i love what i've heard from the cd itself and a decent amount of select rarities. But i have yet to get a few show.

My only main issue with "ordinary people" and that jones beach version you are talking about. is one line....and it really irks me. around the 10/11 minute mark he goes "i got faith in the reagen mind" and it just.....eck.

I heard landing on water...not a big fan at all of the cd. I liked hippie dream...but nothing else really. I only got the cd cause i heard "touch the night" live and i had to hear the studio version...what a letdown.

* I've got faith in the regular kind *

Do you like that better? :wink:

I rank This Note's For You near the bottom of Neil's albums, but that album is not very representative of his work with the Bluenotes. I did like it a lot the last time I listened to it, but he didn't choose some of the best songs from that era to include. I love "Coupe de Ville" and "Life In The City", but some of the songs on side two are pretty weak. I have all the data in files at home, but there are at least as many songs from the Bluenotes era that are unreleased as there are released ones, and then there are the older songs that Neil reworked for the Bluenotes. It was one of Neil's most prolific periods, and yet he has never revisited the music in the years since.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:49 am 
Force of Nature

punkdavid wrote:
lukin10 wrote:

* I've got faith in the regular kind *

Do you like that better? :wink:

I rank This Note's For You near the bottom of Neil's albums, but that album is not very representative of his work with the Bluenotes. I did like it a lot the last time I listened to it, but he didn't choose some of the best songs from that era to include. I love "Coupe de Ville" and "Life In The City", but some of the songs on side two are pretty weak. I have all the data in files at home, but there are at least as many songs from the Bluenotes era that are unreleased as there are released ones, and then there are the older songs that Neil reworked for the Bluenotes. It was one of Neil's most prolific periods, and yet he has never revisited the music in the years since.

Is that what he really says? that would make me so much happier.

Well this note's for you isn't great, but like i still liked it. The title song, "life in the city" and there were a few other songs on that album that really made me enjoy it. Like it wasn't something i'd totally sit down and only listen to like say "rust never sleeps", but its nice background music, in a way.

Hopefully neil will revisit the bluenote's era sometime...why exactly did they split up? Was it just neil being neil or was it some other reason?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:18 am 
Of Counsel

lukin10 wrote:
Hopefully neil will revisit the bluenote's era sometime...why exactly did they split up? Was it just neil being neil or was it some other reason?

Neil got a bug up his ass and decided to play some heavy, heavy distorted rock and roll with the Restless (see Eldorado above). So yeah, it was just Neil being Neil. In his entire career, the only time he's done two albums in a row with the same band was the Buffalo Springfield albums (which barely count since he mostly perfromed solo on his own songs on the second two albums), and Harvest and Time Fades Away both with the Stray Gators (and TFA is sort of a live album). Actually, now that I think about it, Journey Through The Past was in between Harvest and TFA, so I guess even that doesn't count.

The closest he's come to revisiting the Bluenotes era was his work with Booker T. & the MG's on his 1993 tour and on Are You Passionate? The 93 tour was fantastic, AYP?, not so much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:40 am 
Got Some
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

I bought some CSNY stuff today

Four Way Street - Awesome
Deja Vu - Good, but no Four Way Street
American Dream - The neil songs are decent, but the rest is horrible, but it was used for only 5 bucks and I figured that if I didnt get it then, I probably would never get it

I also ordered Weld

I think I am becomming addicted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:37 am 
Force of Nature

punkdavid wrote:
lukin10 wrote:

Neil got a bug up his ass and decided to play some heavy, heavy distorted rock and roll with the Restless (see Eldorado above). So yeah, it was just Neil being Neil. In his entire career, the only time he's done two albums in a row with the same band was the Buffalo Springfield albums (which barely count since he mostly perfromed solo on his own songs on the second two albums), and Harvest and Time Fades Away both with the Stray Gators (and TFA is sort of a live album). Actually, now that I think about it, Journey Through The Past was in between Harvest and TFA, so I guess even that doesn't count.

The closest he's come to revisiting the Bluenotes era was his work with Booker T. & the MG's on his 1993 tour and on Are You Passionate? The 93 tour was fantastic, AYP?, not so much.

hmm, i'm still happy bout the result we got from neil being neil :D Although it would be nice to see him revisit it....

I have time fades away on vinyl. Love that album i do. I had journey thru the past also, but currently thats MIfuckingA.

It seems like everybody who heard shows from the 93 tour loved them...but then again how could you not?

there's a restless dvd on dime right now...*curses having no dvd burner*

Hopefully in like 5 years maybe? neil finally releases those fucking archives. I know they'll cost like 100 dollars cause it will be at least like 8 discs, but god damn i want them hella badly. Or maybe the next album we get will be like silver and gold and include some juicy rarities....silver and gold, i think, is one of his most underrated albums. I have a mix where fucking up plays then good to see you comes on, i love that mix :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:50 pm 
Of Counsel

lukin10 wrote:
It seems like everybody who heard shows from the 93 tour loved them...but then again how could you not?

My first Neil show was at Jones Beach on the 93 tour. Blind Melon and Soundgarden opened. I had a great time. Rolled a few blunts in the parking lot before the show, and stuck them in my pack of Drum tobacco (which as it turned out, was the only place they were going to survive this show). Blind Melon was excellent, but by the time Soundgarden came on, the storm clouds had rolled in and the sun was setting. It rained like standing in the shower with your clothes on during the Soundgarden set, and then the temperature dropped about 20 degrees. So when Neil started, it was dark and cold and the entire crowd was soaked to the skin.

Neil with Booker T & the MG's was an incredibly tight band. Very polished and beautiful, and some of the best performances I've ever heard from Neil. I remember a great Southern Man, and Love To Burn, as well as Live To Ride and Separate Ways, the two unreleased songs that Neil played throughout that tour. Then he finished with Down By The River, RITFW, Dock of the Bay (highlight of the show), and a ripping All Along The Watchtower.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:13 pm 
Force of Nature

i was wondering did you see "human highway"? I haven't heard much outside of the fact that people didn't like it...what did you think? I liked the actual song itself "human highway" quite a bit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:30 pm 
Of Counsel

I haven't seen Human Highway, although I'd like to just to say I've seen it. I do have a couple of songs taken from the movie though. "Hey Hey, My My" performed by Devo, and a song called "Worried Man Blues" that sounds like it's sung by the whole cast. Neither is very good. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:42 pm 
Dr. Spaceman

expecting to fly that is 1 neil tune that does not get enough wraps absolute beautiful, the production is awesome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:09 am 
Force of Nature

i just picked up this MOJO magazine or something, a full special on neil and everything, it was pretty cool. Its an interesting review of stuff, but i realy disagree with some of the reviews, like reactor getting 4 stars and weld and live rust getting 3. Also some of their stuff like how they constructed a 3 disc archives set was weird....

has anybody else picked it up?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:32 am 
Got Some
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

lukin10 wrote:
i just picked up this MOJO magazine or something, a full special on neil and everything, it was pretty cool. Its an interesting review of stuff, but i realy disagree with some of the reviews, like reactor getting 4 stars and weld and live rust getting 3. Also some of their stuff like how they constructed a 3 disc archives set was weird....

no, but I will if I can find it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:20 am 
Force of Nature

Pat H wrote:
lukin10 wrote:

http://www.mojo4music.com/html/special_editions.shtml

there it is if you want to buy it online, or at least if you want to get an idea of what it looks like.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:50 am 
Got Some
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

lukin10 wrote:
Pat H wrote:
lukin10 wrote:

http://www.mojo4music.com/html/special_editions.shtml

there it is if you want to buy it online, or at least if you want to get an idea of what it looks like.

thanks

I'm trying to think if any place around here caries MOJO, but I dont think anyone does.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:12 pm 
Supersonic
 WWW  Profile

lukin10 wrote:

I did. Cool stuff. It's one of their specials, where they devote an entire magazine to an artist or a movement.

Proud member of the Copenhagen Fap Crew

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:26 pm 
Of Counsel

lukin10 wrote:

Can you expand on this part?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:10 pm 
Force of Nature

punkdavid wrote:
lukin10 wrote:

Can you expand on this part?

it wasn't really "archives" to be perfectly honest. I mean it was mostly just a few unreleased songs and then a bunch of "greatest hits". Let me get the magazine.

Ok like they would just label a song like "ambulance blues" and it would be labeled "availbe on: on the beach". So it wasn't so much archives. It was more like a look over of his career. It was done chronologically though. I mean it would probably be good to give to somebody just starting to get into neil, but meh.

There were a few where they labeled like certain shows that i'll probably end up seeking out, but for the most part it seemed more like a big ass greatest hits.

Like down by the river "unreleased live version recorded 26 august greek theater LA" or like a hurricane "unreleased live version recorded 31 march 1976, hammersmith odeon, london". They also did this with freeworld, they cited this 2002 CSNY version, and stringman.

But as for actual young rarities it was basically "pushed it over the end", "traces", "sixty to zero", "ordinary people", and that was all really. So thats why i thought i was weird they labeled it "archives". Cause it wasn't that really.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 5:29 pm 
Of Counsel

"Archives" is a touchy word in Neil circles. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 5:47 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

punkdavid wrote:
"Archives" is a touchy word in Neil circles. :D

Tell me about it. I've been waiting for it for ages now, but it look slike it's not going to be released for a long time. :(.

But speaking of unreleased stuff, what are all your guys' favorite unreleased Neil song? My personal favorite is Bad Fog of Loneliness because it's just a simple, beautiful country-tinged ballad with some of my favorite lyrics of his. And to think we were this close to getting it on "Tonight's The Night."

whygodeep

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3338 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 167  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Other Bands