Board index » Word on the Street... » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3338 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 167  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 5:32 am 
Force of Nature
 YIM  Profile

If any body can help me get ahold of any rarities or b-side collections I would greatly apprreciate it. Rock and Roll Cowboy and Archives Be Damned, I have never seen or heard of. According to the book shakey some of Neil's best stuff is rarities. So any help would be appreciated. ESPECIALLY the Lost Dogs dvd- That is really what I would die for. And what is *DIME*? Any help would be appreciated.

On Another note I have been listening to Life alot lately and that is a damn underrated album. I Love Mideast vacation, aroud the world kicks ass and When your Lonely Heart Breaks is beautiful. Life is a good, overlooked Neil and Cray Horse album and if you are a fan ya gotta check it out.

Last edited by Mrmattsitwrame on Sat Jul 23, 2005 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 5:35 am 
Supersonic

Mrmattsitwrame wrote:
On Another note I have been listening Life alot lately and that is a damn underrated album. I Love Mideast vacation, aroud the world kicks ass and When your Lonely Heart Breaks is beautiful. Life is a good, overlooked Neil and Cray Horse album and if you are a fan ya gotta check it out.

GREAT record. The beginning of Neil's rebirth IMHO (and, in an even humbler opinion, possibly the beginning twitches of what would be his creative peak).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 7:24 pm 
Force of Nature

i'd try and hook you up with a copy of RNRC or ABD, but my friend has them right now.

um, http://www.dimeadozen.org if you can't get membership right away don't give up, people drop out eventually. its the best site around.

the thing about life is that i mean, its ok and underrated, but once you hear prisoners of rock n roll on Year of the horse, and mideast vacation on RNRC and when your lonely heart breaks on year of the horse, and just that whole album live, your like....man this album is shit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 7:25 pm 
Of Counsel

I think Life sucks, but I won't dump on others' opinions by writing two paragraphs on why. :wink:

I guess the start of every creative peak has to be at the bottom of a hill though, eh? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 4:30 am 
Of Counsel

So I read all the posts on Rust about the new album and Archives announcement, because I am always skeptical about anything Archives related. I was looking for either good information, or at least good logical reasons why I should believe the hype this time when I've been burned so often in the past. This post and the followups in the thread are the most convincing argument I've seen on it, and I might be starting ot believe.

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/ru ... age/132423
http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/ru ... age/132447

Neil's 60th birthday is this November 12, recent brushes with mortality (himself and his father), and his drive to control the Archives project and knowing he still has a lot of work to do in his remaining years. I'm not getting my hopes up yet, but I am beginning to be able conceptualize it in reality.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 4:50 am 
Got Some
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

punkdavid wrote:
So I read all the posts on Rust about the new album and Archives announcement, because I am always skeptical about anything Archives related. I was looking for either good information, or at least good logical reasons why I should believe the hype this time when I've been burned so often in the past. This post and the followups in the thread are the most convincing argument I've seen on it, and I might be starting ot believe.

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/ru ... age/132423
http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/ru ... age/132447

Neil's 60th birthday is this November 12, recent brushes with mortality (himself and his father), and his drive to control the Archives project and knowing he still has a lot of work to do in his remaining years. I'm not getting my hopes up yet, but I am beginning to be able conceptualize it in reality.

Either way, I'm gonna put money aside for it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 5:15 am 
Of Counsel

Another thing that has recently surfaced for the Neil musical rarities collectors, is a group of very good sounding studio outtakes of CSNY in 1969. Among other things are studio takes of "Sea Of Madness" with CSNY, and a full band version of "Everybody's Alone" that doesn't have backing vocals.

Torrent here: http://www.rustradio.org/tracker/?view=info&id=61

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 6:44 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

punkdavid wrote:
Another thing that has recently surfaced for the Neil musical rarities collectors, is a group of very good sounding studio outtakes of CSNY in 1969. Among other things are studio takes of "Sea Of Madness" with CSNY, and a full band version of "Everybody's Alone" that doesn't have backing vocals.

Torrent here: http://www.rustradio.org/tracker/?view=info&id=61

:shock: :shock: :shock:

I can't wait to hear these! I've been praying that these sessions would surface since I read about them in the "Crosby, Stills, Nash and sometimes Young" series I bought a year or so ago. But this does really surprises me, though, because I remember reading that they thought these tapes were lost, so I never expected these to ever surface. So this has totally made my week!

whygodeep

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 4:41 pm 
Force of Nature

'Wind' Blowing In New, Rare Young Albums

Daily News - Generic
Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

22 July 2005
Billboard

Neil Young has christened his new studio album "Prairie Wind," which will be released as a CD/DVD package Sept. 20 via Reprise. "The DVD shows us recording the whole record," the artist writes on his Web site. "Every note you hear, you see!" The set is expected to feature contributions from keyboardist Spooner Oldham, pedal steel guitarist Ben Keith and drummer Carl Himmel.

As first reported here, Young will also be the subject of a concert film to be shot during several performances next month at Nashville's Ryman Auditorium. The project will be directed by Jonathan Demme ("Stop Making Sense," "The Silence of the Lambs").

And while full touring plans have yet to be confirmed, Young is set to appear at the annual Farm Aid benefit concert Sept. 18 in Tinley Park, Ill., which will feature performances from Willie Nelson, John Mellencamp, Dave Matthews, Wilco and new addition Kenny Chesney.

Young will also perform at his long-running Bridge School fundraiser Oct. 29-30 in Mountain View, Calif.

Finally, the artist's site says his next major project will be the release of "Archives Vol. 1" on a yet-to-be-announced date. Young has been conceptualizing the release of material from his extensive vaults for decades, and the project has frequently come and gone from release schedules over the years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 9:35 pm 
Force of Nature

everybody's alone!!!! thanks for the linkn david.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:05 pm 
Got Some

DrivenToJam wrote:
As first reported here, Young will also be the subject of a concert film to be shot during several performances next month at Nashville's Ryman Auditorium. The project will be directed by Jonathan Demme ("Stop Making Sense," "The Silence of the Lambs").

Anyone know when the Nashville shows will be? or how much tickets will be? When you can get them? I am definately up for a road trip to see neil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 4:14 pm 
Of Counsel

I'm getting the impression that there will not be a general sale of tickets for the Nashville shows. I think Neil wants to control the environment. No loud obnoxious audience members in the small venue, and especially no bootlegs circulating a month before album release.

Neil appreciates the bootleg scene, and 95% of the time he completely tolerates and even embraces it. Like in 2003 in Europe on the Greendale acoustic tour, he talked about how all his new songs would soon be flying around the world on the internet, but I think he mostly knows that's a good thing. For a concert movie though, he might want to take more control over the situation.

Just my speculation. I have high hopes for the fall already. I hope they aren't dashed. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 5:13 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

punkdavid wrote:
Neil appreciates the bootleg scene, and 95% of the time he completely tolerates and even embraces it.

http://hyperrust.org/News/?f-Napster

I think this proves otherwise.

whygodeep

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 5:22 pm 
Force of Nature

whygodeep wrote:
punkdavid wrote:
Neil appreciates the bootleg scene, and 95% of the time he completely tolerates and even embraces it.

whygodeep

there's a difference.

bootlegging concerts not availble for sale, it seems neil might be fine with. and trading them without money involved, neil also seems to be fine with. But downloading and selling stuff illegally, that is availible for sail, neil is not fine with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 6:19 pm 
Of Counsel

lukin10 wrote:
whygodeep wrote:
punkdavid wrote:

whygodeep

there's a difference.

bootlegging concerts not availble for sale, it seems neil might be fine with. and trading them without money involved, neil also seems to be fine with. But downloading and selling stuff illegally, that is availible for sail, neil is not fine with.

Exactly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 6:42 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

OK, I just wanted to make sure, since that was released as his statement on Napster and file-sharing, and that doesn't involve selling bootlegs for profit. Plus we all know how contradictory neil can be sometimes. :wink:

whygodeep

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 7:01 pm 
Of Counsel

That was a very cryptic "position statement" from Neil on Napster etc... I remember when that was first released, and everyone on Rust was trying to figure out exactly what he meant by it.

I think it was meant to be a little cryptic. The film is from about 1973, and obviously Neil does not like the idea of other people making money by bootlegging his concerts. But he has tacitly endorsed taping in his later years, although there are some famous instances of him calling out tapers in the audience of his early shows. I think that he, like all other rational people, understands that taping and trading among fans is far better than bootleggers taping and selling overpriced concert recordings, and the easier it is to get shows for free, the worse it is for the bootleg sellers.

The same can be said about file sharing of commercially released materials. Unlike the free trading of concert recordings that Neil had no intention of selling himself, free trading of albums takes money away from the artist, so he would seem to oppose that.

As for the Nashville shows, Neil plans to sell that, and he will probably be premiering most if not all of his new album at those shows. He wants a "concert" recording from the Grand Ole Opry, but he seems more concerned about it being just right than about it being genuine, and that's fine. But I don't think he wants boots of this out and around before the concert is for sale, even trading among his biggest fans who will no doubt buy the official DVD anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 7:04 pm 
Force of Nature

neil is the godfather!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:26 pm 
Force of Nature

on another note...

CSNY, i find that the only CSNY album i REALLY dig is deja vu. Frankly american dream isn't all that great and i haven't heard the other one...but anyways 2 things

1. i find a lot of people really prasing this album. I mean its good. 4+20 is a good tune, helpless is great, our house is my fav on the album, and the album as a whole is really nice. But when i listen to it its rather average. I mean helpless is great, but the album version, in my mind, frankly sucks compared to say unplugged or other ones. Most of the songs are good, but nothing great. I like almost cut my hair a lot also. But i don't think its some "classic" seminal album of all time. Maybe its cause i got 4way street before deja vu, but i just only find the album a slight above average and a lot better live. does anybody else agree with me?

about our house, helpless blows our house out of the water actually...but not this version of helpless.

2) anyways, what CSNY album is ohio on? the studio version? I have it on 4way street and decade. Was it released as a single only or something?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:16 am 
Got Some
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

lukin10 wrote:
on another note...

CSNY, i find that the only CSNY album i REALLY dig is deja vu. Frankly american dream isn't all that great and i haven't heard the other one...but anyways 2 things

1. i find a lot of people really prasing this album. I mean its good. 4+20 is a good tune, helpless is great, our house is my fav on the album, and the album as a whole is really nice. But when i listen to it its rather average. I mean helpless is great, but the album version, in my mind, frankly sucks compared to say unplugged or other ones. Most of the songs are good, but nothing great. I like almost cut my hair a lot also. But i don't think its some "classic" seminal album of all time. Maybe its cause i got 4way street before deja vu, but i just only find the album a slight above average and a lot better live. does anybody else agree with me?

about our house, helpless blows our house out of the water actually...but not this version of helpless.

2) anyways, what CSNY album is ohio on? the studio version? I have it on 4way street and decade. Was it released as a single only or something?

it was released as a single, but it can be found on a compilation album entitled So Far.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3338 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 167  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Other Bands