Board index » Word on the Street... » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3338 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 167  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:53 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Can I get a proper tracklisting for the Acoustic Afternoon bootleg?

http://stackpapersgetpaid.tumblr.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:16 pm 
Of Counsel

Quote:
I heard a lot about this "echos" compilation also. Anybody else here have it and is it worth getting if i already have rock n roll cowboy and ABD?

It's called "A Perfect Echo" and it's a huge (8 discs?) compilation of soundboard recordings from over 30 years. I only have the most recent addition (part 5, discs 9 and 10), but I hear great things about it. It's not just rarities, it's mostly otherwise released songs, just soundboard live recordings.

BTW, that Timeframe boot looks like a great set. It's basically ABD2K in chronological order, with a few changes.

This is the website for the ABD2K comp from when it was first distributed in 2000. http://www.butterweck.de/abd2000/main.htm

A couple of songs were removed because they have become available commercially since then, some new and better sources have surfaced for some of the tunes since then as well, most notably a perfect soundboard recording of Neil's 1965 Elektra records demos.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:23 pm 
Force of Nature

No official Neil Young thread would be complete without this http://www.rustradio.org/tracker/

I see PunkDavid beat me to it , as I suspected he would after I posted it.
I'll leave it though for those who missed it :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:37 pm 
Force of Nature

I was/am planning to go see him in Nashville..but I am thinking they are going to be private shows since no ticket info has been announced yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:42 pm 
Force of Nature

punkdavid wrote:
Quote:
I heard a lot about this "echos" compilation also. Anybody else here have it and is it worth getting if i already have rock n roll cowboy and ABD?

It's called "A Perfect Echo" and it's a huge (8 discs?) compilation of soundboard recordings from over 30 years. I only have the most recent addition (part 5, discs 9 and 10), but I hear great things about it. It's not just rarities, it's mostly otherwise released songs, just soundboard live recordings.

BTW, that Timeframe boot looks like a great set. It's basically ABD2K in chronological order, with a few changes.

This is the website for the ABD2K comp from when it was first distributed in 2000. http://www.butterweck.de/abd2000/main.htm

A couple of songs were removed because they have become available commercially since then, some new and better sources have surfaced for some of the tunes since then as well, most notably a perfect soundboard recording of Neil's 1965 Elektra records demos.

oooooo tasty.
i haven't seen it on dime at all though...frustrating.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:44 pm 
Of Counsel

lukin10 wrote:
punkdavid wrote:
Quote:

oooooo tasty.
i haven't seen it on dime at all though...frustrating.

It was there on the old tracker about a year ago.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:49 pm 
Force of Nature

Revolver wrote:
I was/am planning to go see him in Nashville..but I am thinking they are going to be private shows since no ticket info has been announced yet.

Well, I really hope not considering I'm wanting to go myself. I'm going to see Ben Harper at the same venue on Aug. 2. You can bet your ass I'll ask everyone I can about a way to get in while I'm down there.

At first, being 5 shows I never considered them being private untill punkdavid said something about it. Now that, coupled with the fact I wrote the Ryman an E-mail over a week ago with no reply has got me thinking this might be the case.

With him Filming and the noisy Ass-holes I've seen at every concert I've been to lately, I dont blame him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:56 pm 
Banned from the Pit

he is playing the ole oprey soon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:33 pm 
Of Counsel

mr_maginnis wrote:
he is playing the ole oprey soon

The Ryman Theatre was the home of the Grand Ole Opry from 1943 to 1974.

http://www.opry.com/05_history/05_ryman.asp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:06 pm 
Banned from the Pit

oh right!! neil young's music has meant a lot to me and is the reason i play music now and is the reason i aint killed myself..probably

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:30 am 
Force of Nature

even if you don't end up seeing the show, its coming out as part of a DVD compilation isn't it? In link with johnathan demme right? who is one hell of a director.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:40 am 
Devil's Advocate

Do I have anyone else that is dying for PJ to do a full cover of Cinnamon Girl? Christ.

My love for Neil goes back as far as any musician I can remember. My dad listened to him all the time and some of these songs are among the first I remember hearing in my life.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:10 am 
Force of Nature

Athletic Supporter wrote:
Do I have anyone else that is dying for PJ to do a full cover of Cinnamon Girl? Christ.

My love for Neil goes back as far as any musician I can remember. My dad listened to him all the time and some of these songs are among the first I remember hearing in my life.

and hey hey my my while they're at it.

I'd love to hear eddie hook up the harmonica and do a solo my my hey hey.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:26 am 
Got Some
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

Athletic Supporter wrote:

My parents had Freedom, and I remember going through their CD collection and I came across it, and was intrigued, so I listened to it, and was hooked from the first time I heard the acoustic "Rockin in the Free World" even though it would be about 5 years until I really got into his music. Since then I pretty much stole my parents copy because they never listen to it, I'll give it back when they ask for it, but I doubt they'll ask for it again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:57 pm 
Of Counsel

Any of you guys collect Neil shows? If so, what are your favorites?

My favorite will always be 5-16-74, The Bottom Line, NYC. Solo acoustic impromptu performance shortly before the CSNY tour that summer. On The Beach was in the can but yet unreleased and Neil shows up at this tiny club and played for an hour a set with almost no songs that the audience had ever heard before.

1. "Pushed It Over The End" (aka Citizen Kane Jr. Blues) - A great rarity premiered at this show to open the set. This one is about Patty Hearst, and a gorgeous recording with CSNY from the 1974 tour was eventually released as a promo only in a box set in 1982. Extremely rare recording.

2. "Long May You Run" - Another premiere, and a terrific performance where you can really hear the humor and metaphor in the lyrics that tend to get obscured when you hear the fully produced final product.

3. "Greensleeves" - The traditional 16th century piece complete with original lyrics, which legend says were penned by Henry VIII. The only time Neil has ever performed this song in its entirety.

4. "Ambulance Blues" - Only the second ever performance of this classic, and an incredibly powerful and immediate performance at that.

5. "Helpless" - Played by request, and really the only song that was well known by the audience.

6. "Revolution Blues" - Second ever performance, and again a song new to this crowd. This song kicks so much ass, and Neil's guitar work on this solo acoustic version is amazing.

7. "On The Beach" - Another premiere. Haunting and beautiful.

8. "Roll Another Number" - A song that had been premiered on the Tonight's The Night tour the previous fall, but would otherwise be unknown by the crowd. Neil plays this for a drunk guy in the back who was calling out for some country and western. "This one's for you, man. No shit." :lol:

9. "Motion Pictures" - Among my top few all-time favorite songs, and the only live performance EVER of this song. The song is started, and while strumming the chords, Neil digresses into a couple of classic stories including the famous "honeyslide" recipe and the story of how he walked off the stage in Oakland in the middle of "Southern Man".

10. "Pardon My Heart" - Another premiere, and another song that would only be played once again a few months later. Neil introduces it as the saddest song he's ever heard.

11. "Dance, Dance, Dance" - To close, Neil plays this upbeat tune, which is among Neil's most frequently played unreleased songs. It was a common song with the original Crazy Horse, and was recorded by Crazy Horse without Neil on their first album in 1971 (which is a great album BTW). The music is the same as "Love Is A Rose".

You know how there are certain pearl jam shows that it's a true blessing that someone was there to tape? The first show, for example, or some of the surprise club shows. Well, this Neil show was in a tiny club, Neil wasn't even on the bill to play that night (and borrowed a harmonica from Leon Redbone), and tapers were not nearly as prevalent in 1974 as they were in the 90's or today. Not to mention, Neil was in a place in his life at the time of this show that was deep and dark, and just beginning to show signs of recovery and renewal, and so this show, much like On The Beach, is like the first rays of dawn after a lonely and frightening night.

I swear, I thank God for this recording every time I listen to it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:00 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

I'd have to say the February, 1970 show in Cincinnati with Crazy Horse. The sound quality is the best of any live Neil bootleg, and it has a phenomenal version of "Down By The River," plus such live rarities as "Winterlong," "Wonderin'," "It Might Have Been," and an acoustic "Broken Arrow."

But Neil is definitely one of my favorite musicians ever. He is everything I want to do with music, and I love the fact that he does what he wants to do and makes the kind of music he wants to make when he wants to make it, no matter what his fans or the record companies think of it. He doesn't conform to what's "hip," what's "trendy," or what's new and exciting, and I find that very commendable.

Oh, and can anybody PM me and tell me where I can find Archives BNe Damned 2000. My computer crashed a couple weeks ago and I lost it on my hard drive :(

whygodeep

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:44 am 
Force of Nature

punkdavid wrote:
Any of you guys collect Neil shows? If so, what are your favorites?

My favorite will always be 5-16-74, The Bottom Line, NYC. Solo acoustic impromptu performance shortly before the CSNY tour that summer. On The Beach was in the can but yet unreleased and Neil shows up at this tiny club and played for an hour a set with almost no songs that the audience had ever heard before.

1. "Pushed It Over The End" (aka Citizen Kane Jr. Blues) - A great rarity premiered at this show to open the set. This one is about Patty Hearst, and a gorgeous recording with CSNY from the 1974 tour was eventually released as a promo only in a box set in 1982. Extremely rare recording.

2. "Long May You Run" - Another premiere, and a terrific performance where you can really hear the humor and metaphor in the lyrics that tend to get obscured when you hear the fully produced final product.

3. "Greensleeves" - The traditional 16th century piece complete with original lyrics, which legend says were penned by Henry VIII. The only time Neil has ever performed this song in its entirety.

4. "Ambulance Blues" - Only the second ever performance of this classic, and an incredibly powerful and immediate performance at that.

5. "Helpless" - Played by request, and really the only song that was well known by the audience.

6. "Revolution Blues" - Second ever performance, and again a song new to this crowd. This song kicks so much ass, and Neil's guitar work on this solo acoustic version is amazing.

7. "On The Beach" - Another premiere. Haunting and beautiful.

8. "Roll Another Number" - A song that had been premiered on the Tonight's The Night tour the previous fall, but would otherwise be unknown by the crowd. Neil plays this for a drunk guy in the back who was calling out for some country and western. "This one's for you, man. No shit." :lol:

9. "Motion Pictures" - Among my top few all-time favorite songs, and the only live performance EVER of this song. The song is started, and while strumming the chords, Neil digresses into a couple of classic stories including the famous "honeyslide" recipe and the story of how he walked off the stage in Oakland in the middle of "Southern Man".

10. "Pardon My Heart" - Another premiere, and another song that would only be played once again a few months later. Neil introduces it as the saddest song he's ever heard.

11. "Dance, Dance, Dance" - To close, Neil plays this upbeat tune, which is among Neil's most frequently played unreleased songs. It was a common song with the original Crazy Horse, and was recorded by Crazy Horse without Neil on their first album in 1971 (which is a great album BTW). The music is the same as "Love Is A Rose".

You know how there are certain pearl jam shows that it's a true blessing that someone was there to tape? The first show, for example, or some of the surprise club shows. Well, this Neil show was in a tiny club, Neil wasn't even on the bill to play that night (and borrowed a harmonica from Leon Redbone), and tapers were not nearly as prevalent in 1974 as they were in the 90's or today. Not to mention, Neil was in a place in his life at the time of this show that was deep and dark, and just beginning to show signs of recovery and renewal, and so this show, much like On The Beach, is like the first rays of dawn after a lonely and frightening night.

I swear, I thank God for this recording every time I listen to it.

I'm not a hard core neil bootelg collector, but i have around 15 or so shows. For neil in terms of bootlegs i'm more of a compilation person. I'm a hardcore springsteen and PJ collector, but neil i've never gotten around to collecting the individual shows heavily. I'll do it one of these days.

but that show you mentioned, was a great great show. I have that one, but i don't listen to it enough. When i do though, i have no idea how many times i listened to pushed it over the end. I've heard the full band version also...god i love that song.

I like rio 2001, but just cuase its all crazy horse jam songs. Down by the river, hey hey my my, cinnamon girl, like a hurricane, powderfinger, and you know almost all of the main hardcore crazy horse jam songs. Thats the one individual neil show i've probably listened to the most outside of my live rust. But thats only cause that has the best version of down by the river around.

being a huge fan of greendale, i have 2 greendale boots, red rocks and chicago i think. those are really nice. But they don't touch. the show you mentioned.

I liked the austin city limits show from 86? or was it 84. There was a dvd recently hosted on dime for it. Anyways, thats mainly cause it has, in my opinion, the best version of helpless around. Well either that version or the SNACK benefit one with dylan and the band. The fact that neil was in prime form for down by the river was nice as well. Nothing is perfect is an underappreciated song as well. I'm not a big fan of the few country songs he did, and i can't get into Amber Jean. But for helpless and down by the river its a prime show alone. He could have played tbone for 20 minutes straight and i would still love this show. thats how good those 2 are.

speaking of various versions of helpless. Which version is your guy's favorite? There is the deja vu version with CSNY and strings and such. I don't like that one much. The solo guitar version similar to austin city limits. The MTV unplugged one with piano intro and other such played. The full band with organ and guitar, where neil leads off with the harmonica solo, similar to the SNACK benefit one with dylan and the band.

and i'm sure there are more, but overall, which one is the one you guy's like the most?
I already stated my love for the dylan and the band version and the austin city limits one. the actual album one off of deja vu is probably my least favorite. But the version that first got me into the song was the 96 bridge school one, where patti smith came in and sung her own improv verse. That was absolutely BEAUTIFUL. And thank god i have that on video :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:55 am 
Force of Nature

hey man,
http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-deta ... 0079&hit=1
2 seeders and 1 leech as of now.
war song, sitting on the dock of hte bay, and sad movies got removed cause they were commercial content.

although the war song one is bullshit, because that was on a single how long ago?

if theres one thing i hate about dime its that anything that WAS for sale can't be used, even if hte band doesn't care. erk. So that means no offical 03 or 00 boots even though pj approves it...but whatever thats what SWC is for :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 3:13 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

lukin10 wrote:
hey man,
war song, sitting on the dock of hte bay, and sad movies got removed cause they were commercial content.

Thanks man!! :D

whygodeep

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 5:03 am 
Of Counsel

lukin10 wrote:
hey man,

although the war song one is bullshit, because that was on a single how long ago?

if theres one thing i hate about dime its that anything that WAS for sale can't be used, even if hte band doesn't care. erk. So that means no offical 03 or 00 boots even though pj approves it...but whatever thats what SWC is for :D

Why the heck would they drop Sad Movies? That's not released. They pulled the Farm Aid Song because that was released...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3338 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 167  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Other Bands