Board index » Word on the Street... » Other Bands

Post subject: Sun Volt reuniting!!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 11:54 am 
Got Some

http://www.filter-mag.com/news/interior.1741.html

Son Volt Return to Studio
by Ellen Houlihan | 09.22.2004

Returning from a five-year vacation from recording full-length albums together, Son Volt plan to enter frontman Jay Farrar’s St. Louis studio at the end of the month. The band reconnected earlier this year to include a track on the Alejandro Escovedo tribute album, Por Vida, a project that aimed to lessen the burden of the Hepatitis C-stricken singer’s staggering medical bills.

Farrar and company are offering fans a sneak-peak into Son Volt’s recording sessions by setting up a web camera in the studio capturing the processes of pre-production and recording from October 1-17. Streaming photos will be refreshed every five seconds at http://www.jayfarrar.net/webcam.

Wilco fans familiar with head honcho Jeff Tweedy’s highly influential earlier band, Uncle Tupelo are surely familiar with Farrar, whom shared a highly creative musical partnership with Tweedy. In 1994, the two parted ways and formed Wilco and Son Volt, respectively splitting former Uncle Tupelo members into both camps.

While Son Volt is probably best known for their 1995 hit “Drownâ€

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 11:59 am 
Got Some

I actually read this about a month ago its awesome. I had the chance to see Jay back on August 6th and i'm pretty sure on his current tour he is touring with the band Canyon (kinda like his crazy horse at this time) He did bust out a couple son volt tunes for the encore. Setlist was great all of his solo hits were played.

Jay tends to not get much respect around herein the shadow of Wilco/jeff tweedy, but he is a great singer songwriter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 6:54 pm 
Johnny Guitar

I hate to burst your bubble here, but it's just Jay recording as Son Volt. The other guys left amicably right after the video sessions started.

How this can be called "Son Volt" now is beyond me...maybe it's just an excuse to revive a dead commercial career.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 1:43 am 
Supersonic

I've never gone too far into Son Volt. Wasn't it Uncle Tupelo.. then Wilco/Son Volt?

I liked Unce Tupelo... I only have Still Feel Gone. Should I should check out the rest of their stuff and move onto Son Volt?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 6:07 pm 
Johnny Guitar

Stephen wrote:
I've never gone too far into Son Volt. Wasn't it Uncle Tupelo.. then Wilco/Son Volt?

Yup!

Quote:
I liked Unce Tupelo... I only have Still Feel Gone. Should I should check out the rest of their stuff and move onto Son Volt?

There's a single-disc compilation of Uncle Tupelo stuff out called '89-'93: An Anthology that'll give you a good start to the rest of their catalog.

As for Son Volt, their first record Trace is absolutely essential listening. I'm not too sold on the rest of their catalog. It's pretty erratic I felt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 6:50 pm 
Johnny Guitar

trace is a great album
I think I am going to listen to 'may the wind take your troubles away' then the whole album
thanks

Board index » Word on the Street... » Other Bands