Board index » Word on the Street... » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:08 am 
Got Some
 WWW  Profile

psychobain wrote:
Super J wrote:
I heard these guys for the first time this week. I'm really diggin Closer. I think I may be the Heart and Soul box set next payday.

Unknown Pleasures first, please.

I plan on listening to it tomorrow at work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:18 am 
Leak Inspector
 WWW  Profile

try to check it before sleeping one day
in a darkened room :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 4:38 pm 
Team Binaural
 WWW  Profile

From http://music.guardian.co.uk/news/story/ ... 05,00.html

Quote:
Coming soon: the Ian Curtis happy meal?

Alexis Petridis
Monday April 16, 2007
The Guardian

We live in a world of Jimi Hendrix-branded energy drinks, U2 iPods and John Lennon glasses. Nevertheless, certain artists always seem immune to the possibility of the corporate tie-in, not least the legendarily gloomy post-punk band Joy Division. That has changed with the news that sportswear company New Balance has commissioned two pairs of trainers inspired by the band.

One features the cover artwork and the catalogue number of their 1979 debut album Unknown Pleasures, while another displays the Factory records logo and the cryptic slogan One of One Made in Macclesfield. They are the work of Dylan Adair, perhaps the only man in history to listen to Joy Division and think of sports-casual footwear: he previously designed a similar trainer for Nike featuring lyrics from Atrocity Exhibition, the harrowing opening track from the band's second album Closer.

The trainers are likely to remain prototypes but they are not the only improbable Joy Division-related product available. Yo! Sushi currently offers its takeaway customers the Love Will Tear Us Apart salmon and tuna box set, a selection of sashimi, nigri, maki and salad with tangy sunomono dressing, the latter presumably ideal for ridding yourself of "the taste in your mouth as desperation takes hold", as the song's lyric had it. The box set forms part of a menu on which every item is named after a classic song, including the Relight My Fire prawn yakisoba and the Sexual Healing salmon sashimi.

"Some of them are a little more tangential than others," explains a spokeswoman for Yo! Sushi, when asked what the link was between Joy Division frontman Ian Curtis' agonised meditation on the break-up of his marriage - originally released a month after his suicide in May 1980 - and coriander-seared tuna and beetroot-marinated salmon. "It's not so much that we're making an affiliation to Joy Division, it's just that it's a great song."

If nothing else, the products are timely. This year sees the release of Control, photographer Anton Corbijn's long-awaited Ian Curtis biopic. Rumours that it will be accompanied by a tie-in with McDonald's - involving a new jingle based on the lyrics of Decades ("portrayal of the trauma and degeneration, the sorrows we suffered and never were free ... I'm lovin' it"), and the Ian Curtis Happy Meal - remain unconfirm-ed at time of going to press.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 8:42 pm 
Leak Inspector
 WWW  Profile

haha

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:03 am 
Supersonic

The Latest:

[img] Joy Division
News

Joy Division sneakers in the works

06/07/2007 7:00 PM, Yahoo! Music
Dotmusic

A pair of sneakers inspired by Joy Division are set for production, it has been confirmed.

The manufacturer, New Balance, isawaiting final clearance on making the shoes, which are based on the artwork to the band's landmark 1979 album Unknown Pleasures.

The sneakers feature the distinctive ripples on the sole and tongue and are embossed with the catalogue number Fact 10, after Joy Division's seminal record label, Factory Records.

American artist Dylan Adair has designed the sneakers, which, if released, will coincide with a new film based around the life of Joy Division singer Ian Curtis.

The premiere of Control, directed by Anton Corbijn, received a rapturous critical reception at the Cannes Film Festival last month.

[/img]

Post subject: Re: Joy Division
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:35 am 
Leak Inspector
 WWW  Profile

listening to Still remastered

this band doesnt get the love it deserves

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:48 am 
Force of Nature

psychobain wrote:
listening to Still remastered

this band doesnt get the love it deserves

I just got this lately and it is flawless. I cant believe that leftover songs could be this good. :thumbsup:

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:53 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

BadMusic wrote:
From http://music.guardian.co.uk/news/story/ ... 05,00.html

Quote:
Coming soon: the Ian Curtis happy meal?

Alexis Petridis
Monday April 16, 2007
The Guardian

We live in a world of Jimi Hendrix-branded energy drinks, U2 iPods and John Lennon glasses. Nevertheless, certain artists always seem immune to the possibility of the corporate tie-in, not least the legendarily gloomy post-punk band Joy Division. That has changed with the news that sportswear company New Balance has commissioned two pairs of trainers inspired by the band.

One features the cover artwork and the catalogue number of their 1979 debut album Unknown Pleasures, while another displays the Factory records logo and the cryptic slogan One of One Made in Macclesfield. They are the work of Dylan Adair, perhaps the only man in history to listen to Joy Division and think of sports-casual footwear: he previously designed a similar trainer for Nike featuring lyrics from Atrocity Exhibition, the harrowing opening track from the band's second album Closer.

The trainers are likely to remain prototypes but they are not the only improbable Joy Division-related product available. Yo! Sushi currently offers its takeaway customers the Love Will Tear Us Apart salmon and tuna box set, a selection of sashimi, nigri, maki and salad with tangy sunomono dressing, the latter presumably ideal for ridding yourself of "the taste in your mouth as desperation takes hold", as the song's lyric had it. The box set forms part of a menu on which every item is named after a classic song, including the Relight My Fire prawn yakisoba and the Sexual Healing salmon sashimi.

"Some of them are a little more tangential than others," explains a spokeswoman for Yo! Sushi, when asked what the link was between Joy Division frontman Ian Curtis' agonised meditation on the break-up of his marriage - originally released a month after his suicide in May 1980 - and coriander-seared tuna and beetroot-marinated salmon. "It's not so much that we're making an affiliation to Joy Division, it's just that it's a great song."

If nothing else, the products are timely. This year sees the release of Control, photographer Anton Corbijn's long-awaited Ian Curtis biopic. Rumours that it will be accompanied by a tie-in with McDonald's - involving a new jingle based on the lyrics of Decades ("portrayal of the trauma and degeneration, the sorrows we suffered and never were free ... I'm lovin' it"), and the Ian Curtis Happy Meal - remain unconfirm-ed at time of going to press.

Are those ripples physical? Because if they are and they leave the UP artwork wherever I walk/run then I kight actually buy these. I already wear NB already, so why the hell not?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:17 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

what a band, huh? it was a long time ago, but they completely floored me again. :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:44 pm 
Leak Inspector
 WWW  Profile

Candidate fuckin rules

I tried to get to you

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:43 am 
losing relevance

I love these guys but it seems like their LP's are missing a lot of their best songs.

Pretty sure Atmosphere is the best song.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:42 pm 
Leak Inspector
 WWW  Profile

Dev wrote:
I love these guys but it seems like their LP's are missing a lot of their best songs.

Pretty sure Atmosphere is the best song.

the lps are masterpieces

just get the 2 + substance + still

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:31 pm 
Unthought Known

incidentally, last night i smoked some cannabis and listened to closer on vinyl. i forgot how much i enjoy that album.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:16 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

that album is so bleak

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:25 pm 
Needs to start paying for bandwidth

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:39 pm 
Leak Inspector
 WWW  Profile

cool

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:22 pm 
Of Counsel

conoalias wrote:

Was just going to post this. Fucking great.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:20 pm 
Leak Inspector
 WWW  Profile

So this is permanence - love's shattered pride
What once was innocence, turned on its side
Grey cloud hangs over me - marks every move
Deep in the memory, what once was love

Oh how I realised how I wanted time
Put into perspective - tried so hard to find
Just for one moment I thought I'd found my way
Destiny unfolded - I watched it slip away

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:34 pm 
Force of Nature

for what it's worth

the remnants of JD/New Order will be playing webster hall in NY as "bad lieutenant" in april

sadly i can't make it due to a dermatologist appointment

and last year they were supposed to play but it got cancelled due to visa issues

curses

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:37 pm 
Coast to Coast

stranger34 wrote:
for what it's worth

the remnants of JD/New Order will be playing webster hall in NY as "bad lieutenant" in april

sadly i can't make it due to a dermatologist appointment

and last year they were supposed to play but it got cancelled due to visa issues

curses

No Hooky, right?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Other Bands