Board index » Word on the Street... » Other Bands

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:48 pm 
Got Some

what dean corso is referring to is the fact that steve lillywhite produced their first three albums and now this one, their 14th. the problem with this is that the new album is only their eleventh (ep's and passengers do not count) so i don't buy into the theory at all

Top Five Musical Geniuses (Alphabetical Order): Johnny Cash, Miles Davis, Andrew Hill, Mark Lanegan, Tom Waits

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:49 pm 
Got Some

elbarto wrote:
what dean corso is referring to is the fact that steve lillywhite produced their first three albums and now this one, their 14th. the problem with this is that the new album is only their eleventh (ep's and passengers do not count) so i don't buy into the theory at all

Sure they count. It isn't as if they don't exist.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:54 pm 
Got Some

Dean Corso wrote:
elbarto wrote:

I don't buy it, i mean wide awake in america was just 4 songs, only 2 studio. those do not count as releases, if they did you would have to count all the singles with multiple songs (and there are many). if they're referring to the greatest hits packages that's one thing, still bit of a stretch though. i don't really even consider rattle and hum to be an album as far as i'm concerned atomic bomb is their tenth studio album

Top Five Musical Geniuses (Alphabetical Order): Johnny Cash, Miles Davis, Andrew Hill, Mark Lanegan, Tom Waits

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 11:00 pm 
Got Some

elbarto wrote:
Dean Corso wrote:
elbarto wrote:

I don't buy it, i mean wide awake in america was just 4 songs, only 2 studio. those do not count as releases, if they did you would have to count all the singles with multiple songs (and there are many). if they're referring to the greatest hits packages that's one thing, still bit of a stretch though. i don't really even consider rattle and hum to be an album as far as i'm concerned atomic bomb is their tenth studio album

How can you not consider Rattle and Hum an album? 9 out of 17 tracks are new songs (if you count Silver and Gold). Then you have 3 covers that weren't on any previous releases. It's obvious that Rattle and Hum is an album.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 11:04 pm 
Got Some

I see it everytime there's a few commercials :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 11:07 pm 
Got Some

Dean Corso wrote:
elbarto wrote:
Dean Corso wrote:
elbarto wrote:

How can you not consider Rattle and Hum an album? 9 out of 17 tracks are new songs (if you count Silver and Gold). Then you have 3 covers that weren't on any previous releases. It's obvious that Rattle and Hum is an album.

its a hodgepodge of studio, live and cover songs that is really just a soundtrack to a film. if the live songs weren't from other albums then that would be one thing but its not a studio album like say achtung baby or war is, period.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 11:08 pm 
Got Some

elbarto wrote:
Dean Corso wrote:
elbarto wrote:
Dean Corso wrote:
elbarto wrote:

its a hodgepodge of studio, live and cover songs that is really just a soundtrack to a film. if the live songs weren't from other albums then that would be one thing but its not a studio album like say achtung baby or war is, period.

Yeah, it's a studio album.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 11:33 pm 
Got Some

Now the next question is; do we really think Bono is intelligent enough to think of that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 11:38 pm 
Got Some

bknollenberg wrote:
Now the next question is; do we really think Bono is intelligent enough to think of that?

If you're questioning Bono's intelligence, you should really think about that again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 12:04 am 
Spaceman

I really think that those who don't buy the 14 thing are thinking about it the wrong way. You have to think from the band's perspective. How many records they have made in any form, 4 with Steve and the rest without. It's not just about true albums like say October or Achtung Baby.

To ease the pain of idleness and the memory of decay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 12:11 am 
Got Some

vacatetheword wrote:
I really think that those who don't buy the 14 thing are thinking about it the wrong way. You have to think from the band's perspective. How many records they have made in any form, 4 with Steve and the rest without. It's not just about true albums like say October or Achtung Baby.

i just don't think putting two live tracks and two b-sides on an ep is really 'making a record' and if you count any form then the 2 greatest hits make it 16

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 12:20 am 
Spaceman

elbarto wrote:
vacatetheword wrote:

i just don't think putting two live tracks and two b-sides on an ep is really 'making a record' and if you count any form then the 2 greatest hits make it 16

well maybe they were counting, say, the 90's GH, becuase it had new songs, but not the 80's, and maybe they didn't count wide awake in america, or maybe they did, or maybe Bono just can't count, but we know what he meant. I don't know. I buy the theory.

To ease the pain of idleness and the memory of decay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 12:55 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

However it breaks down, the "inside joke" is pretty lame, and not worth anyone's time.

Sounds good, though.

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 12:57 am 
Got Some

Iago wrote:
However it breaks down, the "inside joke" is pretty lame, and not worth anyone's time.

Sounds good, though.

8)

It's worth everyone's time. It's Bono and U2!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 1:15 am 
Got Some

Iago wrote:

Sounds good, though.

8)

My point precisely. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 1:17 am 
Got Some

bknollenberg wrote:
Iago wrote:

Sounds good, though.

8)

the point we're all forgetting though is that the actual song is pretty awesome

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 1:20 am 
Got Some

bknollenberg wrote:
Iago wrote:

Sounds good, though.

8)

Then why not say that?

Board index » Word on the Street... » Other Bands