Board index » Word on the Street... » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 945 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45 ... 48  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dave Matthews Band is pretty good
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 12:33 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

i believe in lillywhite

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 12:54 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

also

oasisfan35 wrote:
I can't find the original link (that adds you to the e-mail list) so this is my link above.

thank you for that

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 3:24 am 
Cameron's Stallion

I love Carter Beauford.

The smallest oceans still get...big, Big Waves...

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 3:46 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Dave Matthews Band
May 18, 2012
The Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion, The Woodlands, TX

Spoiler: show
Big Eyed Fish »
Funny the Way It Is
Grace Is Gone
Eh Hee
Seven
Beach Ball
Don't Drink the Water
Mercy
Gaucho
Sweet
Crush
You Never Know
You & Me
Stay or Leave
Pantala Naga Pampa »
Rapunzel
-----------------------------------
Squirm »
Grey Street

videos
Spoiler: show

(spoiled just in case anyone wants to be surprised)

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 1:42 pm 
AnalLog

new album in september. fuck yes.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 1:49 pm 
Got Some

warehouse wrote:
strange song, but strange in a good way. can we stop having kids in songs though?

I think it's a great song - very different than anything out there. This has the Lillywhite stamp ALL OVER IT. G-d damn this guy is magic with this band. There's so much going on in this 4 minutes song you need a dozen listens to take it all in. That was the genius behind his previous work with them. As great as BW was, it was a pretty straightforward recording. You listen to each song a few times and you've got the basis for what they did, which is fine for what it was. This, however, is classic DMB w/Lillywhite. Now it's only one song, but if the rest of the record is like this it's going to be an awesome fall. I cannot wait for the new record.

As far as the kids go, I think it's highly effective here.

Yes, I'm a fanboy! I do give them the shit they deserve, however, when they deserve it (just for the record).

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 1:59 pm 
Supersonic

What's with the mariachi band in that song?

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 2:02 pm 
AnalLog

mtbhk44 wrote:
New album delayed until the fall :evil:

and what happened w/ this?

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 9:49 pm 
Got Some

warehouse wrote:
mtbhk44 wrote:
New album delayed until the fall :evil:

and what happened w/ this?

They never said. In this day and age with so much technology available to get music out quickly, there's really no legitimate excuse for such a long delay and to not have the album out prior to the tour.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 10:45 pm 
Reissued
 WWW  Profile

warehouse wrote:
and now i wanna listen to dave.

this band might be passing pearl jam for my top spot. this song is was released in 1994, and this is probably the best ive ever heard it.

Honestly, the long intro does little for me. The lyrics and vocal delivery are a highlight for me, and the long instrumental sections make them less important, so the longer versions don't do much for me. I love the track studio, but the live versions I've heard with the long instrumental sections tend not to do it for me. I think the studio atmosphere changes the song's feeling too--it's more celebratory live, and I'm not sure that's a good thing (for after the fact listening--obviously if I were at the show, or had been to the show, I'd probably feel differently--I would definitely want more celebration in a concert setting, but not necessarily for sitting back, listening)

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 11:32 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

mtbhk44 wrote:
This has the Lillywhite stamp ALL OVER IT. G-d damn this guy is magic with this band. There's so much going on in this 4 minutes song you need a dozen listens to take it all in. That was the genius behind his previous work with them. As great as BW was, it was a pretty straightforward recording. You listen to each song a few times and you've got the basis for what they did, which is fine for what it was. This, however, is classic DMB w/Lillywhite. Now it's only one song, but if the rest of the record is like this it's going to be an awesome fall.

i pretty much agree with all of this.

Quote:
I cannot wait for the new record.

i'll say it again: i believe in lillywhite.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 12:25 am 
AnalLog

dkfan9 wrote:
warehouse wrote:

this band might be passing pearl jam for my top spot. this song is was released in 1994, and this is probably the best ive ever heard it.

Honestly, the long intro does little for me. The lyrics and vocal delivery are a highlight for me, and the long instrumental sections make them less important, so the longer versions don't do much for me. I love the track studio, but the live versions I've heard with the long instrumental sections tend not to do it for me. I think the studio atmosphere changes the song's feeling too--it's more celebratory live, and I'm not sure that's a good thing (for after the fact listening--obviously if I were at the show, or had been to the show, I'd probably feel differently--I would definitely want more celebration in a concert setting, but not necessarily for sitting back, listening)

dave sounds great here, but how do instrumentals make it less important? if anything, i think it shows daves voices is good enough to be an instrument of its own. also, this is one of the more organized and shorter "long instrumental sections". i really think the beginning is incredible here.

i'll have to listen to the studio version again, but i never really thought the atmosphere of the song changed much from studio to live.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 12:34 am 
Reissued
 WWW  Profile

warehouse wrote:
dkfan9 wrote:
warehouse wrote:

dave sounds great here, but how do instrumentals make it less important? if anything, i think it shows daves voices is good enough to be an instrument of its own. also, this is one of the more organized and shorter "long instrumental sections". i really think the beginning is incredible here.

i'll have to listen to the studio version again, but i never really thought the atmosphere of the song changed much from studio to live.

The instrumental areas focus on the instrumentals (thus taking the focus away from the vocals and lyrics for that time period), and I'm just not that into them, so the time isn't spent on something I necessarily want to listen to (not that i'm not into instrumentals in general, but here they don't do a lot for me). The rhythm/hook that opens and propels the song wears on me with the long intro instrumental period, but I never tire of it on the studio version where Dave's vocals come in earlier (it bugs me during the verses a bit on that live version, but not on the studio).

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 12:48 am 
Supersonic

AndySlash wrote:
mtbhk44 wrote:
This has the Lillywhite stamp ALL OVER IT. G-d damn this guy is magic with this band. There's so much going on in this 4 minutes song you need a dozen listens to take it all in. That was the genius behind his previous work with them. As great as BW was, it was a pretty straightforward recording. You listen to each song a few times and you've got the basis for what they did, which is fine for what it was. This, however, is classic DMB w/Lillywhite. Now it's only one song, but if the rest of the record is like this it's going to be an awesome fall.

i pretty much agree with all of this.

Quote:
I cannot wait for the new record.

i'll say it again: i believe in lillywhite.

Do you guys really like this song or just the dynamics of it?

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 12:49 am 
AnalLog

i usually dont like long instrumentals either, but i think they did it perfect here. the intro they use on the album kinda disappeared at this show, bc they started it and then transitioned into halloween, and then jumped right back into ants marching w/o the intro. it was probably one of the greatest song transition ive ever seen/heard in my life. not often does a moment of a live show translate well to a recording, but this sounds awesome.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 6:11 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Chris_H_2 wrote:

i like the song. i don't know that i really like it yet, but i definitely like it on first listens better than a large majority of the material from the last several years. it's clear what lillywhite brings to the table- depth of sound, musique concrete, and, simply, a sense of ambition that has been missing from the relatively sterile recordings they've put out since they stopped working with him. this song feels like the band worked hard to make it what it is, as opposed to the type of straightforward, bland sounding material mbthjkhf44 pointed out has been the case for several years now. gaucho is the type of dave matthews band song that i like, and is a promising glimpse at what might be.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 6:20 pm 
Coast to Coast

dkfan9 wrote:
The instrumental areas focus on the instrumentals

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 7:27 pm 
Supersonic

dkfan9 putting on another lucidity clinic

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 11:35 am 
Got Some

Chris_H_2 wrote:

I do like the song. Lyrically, it's not all that we probably hoped for, but it's a lead single (this is a single right?) and probably the most ready for the masses (see: dumbed down). Dave's lyrics are hit or miss most of the time so I've stopped expecting genius. Just gimme good music that I can sink my teeth into and I'm happy these days.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 12:02 pm 
Fuck Sharks

This guy must be good....didn't he just win American Idol?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 945 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45 ... 48  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Other Bands