Board index » Word on the Street... » Other Bands

Post subject: Re: tribe called quest better be good
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:31 pm 
Supersonic

darth_vedder wrote:
Alex wrote:
midnight marauders is my favorite ATCQ album. the best balance of phife/q-tip, stellar production (some of the low end theory songs sound a bit dated now), and no guest stars hogging the mic (i'm looking at you, consequence).

Totally agree. Back in the 90's I thought the Low End Theory was the best hip-hop album ever made. Now, there are some songs (I'm looking at you Sky Pager) that do indeed sound horribly dated. Around the early '00s, I started thinking Midnight Marauders is the better of the two albums, but Low End is still pretty amazing.

for years, i thought that 'Scenario' gave the Low End Theory the edge over Midnight Marauders.

darth et al, how do you feel about The Love Movement? i think it was a grand return to form after Beats, Rhymes, and Life. J Dilla's warm production really made that album an instant classic.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:15 am 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

somebody broke into my ride and col' macked it

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:07 pm 
Unthought Known

Alex wrote:
how do you feel about The Love Movement? i think it was a grand return to form after Beats, Rhymes, and Life. J Dilla's warm production really made that album an instant classic.

Ya know, I don't really know that one. I think I listened to it a few times like over a decade ago, and haven't listend since. I'll have to revisit and comment later. It's also been forever since I"ve heard 'Beats'...I may as well revisit that while I'm at it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:45 pm 
Supersonic

You see you, your career is done like Johnny Carson's
Get me vexed, I do like Left Eye, I'll start an arson
Now that I got that out my system
Watch me stab up the track as if my name was OJ Simpson

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:14 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

told you in the jam that we can get down
now lets knock the boots like the group h-town

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:42 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

im watching the documentary tonight...is it good?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:52 am 
Banned from the Pit

Jazz is without a doubt my favorite Quest song. It takes me back to being 17 and skateboarding in the city.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:07 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

saw the movie...interesting. You can see Michael Rapaport being a big fan of them, and still having the wisdom to let the movie talk about their relationship as a band.
Anyone saw it?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:21 pm 
Supersonic

VinylGuy wrote:
saw the movie...interesting. You can see Michael Rapaport being a big fan of them, and still having the wisdom to let the movie talk about their relationship as a band.
Anyone saw it?

i haven't. i've heard the film casts q-tip in a fairly negative light. is this true?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:27 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Alex wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
Anyone saw it?

i haven't. i've heard the film casts q-tip in a fairly negative light. is this true?

i heard that too and honestly i didnt quite feel it in the movie...i guess he is the more focused character from the band, you can tell the guy is all about making more music, and perhaps the success of the band was pushing him into be a solo artist, but the beef with phife is weird...Q tip surely is the control freak he is known for, but im not sure it was his fault.
I think they run out of creativity, and the band was just over...perhaps that was more difficult for phife, seeing q tip having a chance of becoming more than a member of A tribe...
It sure feels Q tip could have been more sensitive with Phife´s health and personality problems.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:47 pm 
Supersonic

VinylGuy wrote:
Alex wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
Anyone saw it?

i heard that too and honestly i didnt quite feel it in the movie...i guess he is the more focused character from the band, you can tell the guy is all about making more music, and perhaps the success of the band was pushing him into be a solo artist, but the beef with phife is weird...Q tip surely is the control freak he is known for, but im not sure it was his fault.
I think they run out of creativity, and the band was just over...perhaps that was more difficult for phife, seeing q tip having a chance of becoming more than a member of A tribe...
It sure feels Q tip could have been more sensitive with Phife´s health and personality problems.

the first time i heard "when's the last time you heard a funky diabetic" line from phife, i was initially confused and thought it was a weird boast of some kind. then i realized mutty ranks has type 1. :|

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:57 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Alex wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
Alex wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
Anyone saw it?

the first time i heard "when's the last time you heard a funky diabetic" line from phife, i was initially confused and thought it was a weird boast of some kind. then i realized mutty ranks has type 1. :|

thats some weird stuff :haha:

those two, Q tip and phife, were meant to make music together but are though characters as well....

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:17 pm 
Supersonic

VinylGuy wrote:
Alex wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
Alex wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
Anyone saw it?

those two, Q tip and phife, were meant to make music together but are though characters as well....

all the world's a stage and all the men and women merely players

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:54 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Alex wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
Alex wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
Alex wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
Anyone saw it?

That´s deep men, that´s deep.
have you consider writing a poem´s book?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:12 pm 
Coast to Coast

One could even call it Shakespearean, almost.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:42 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

theplatypus wrote:
One could even call it Shakespearean, almost.

what do you think about A Tribe Called Quest?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:09 pm 
Supersonic

VinylGuy wrote:
Alex wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
Alex wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
Alex wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
Anyone saw it?

That´s deep men, that´s deep.
have you consider writing a poem´s book?

i'm not sure i would know how to go about doing that

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:54 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Great song:

Board index » Word on the Street... » Other Bands