Board index » Word on the Street... » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 5:44 am 
Stone's Bitch
 WWW  Profile

I'm listening to The Great Southern Trendkill right now and forgot how good this album actually was. Maybe not the best Pantera record of them all, but a lot better than most rock music in 1996.

**Jay :P**

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 5:45 am 
Stone's Bitch
 WWW  Profile

I'm listening to The Great Southern Trendkill right now as I type this and I forgot how good this album actually was. While it wasn't the best Pantera album, it was still miles better than some other metal albums of 1996 (coughLoadcough).

**Jay :P**

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 6:06 am 
Johnny Guitar

Master Slave wrote:
ledbutter wrote:
This is by far the most fucked up thing i've heard of in a long, long time; maybe ever.

I didn't know much about pantera or dimebag, but i couldn't feel worse about this as a member of the human race.

ditto
RIP Darrel, Keep on rockin..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 6:07 am 
Supersonic

ElPhantasmo wrote:
thank you Dimebag Darell.

well spoken. may your memories be forever!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 6:07 am 
Unthought Known
 WWW  YIM  Profile

stranger34 wrote:
bodybag darrell

It wasn't funny the first time, you fucking jerkoff.

I sent men to their doom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 7:21 am 
trying to make a career out of postwhoring

Wow, I can't believe this. :( I'm not the biggest Pantera fan, but I love their debut album. I'm stunned by this senseless act. What a psychotic nutcase the guy who did this is.

RIP Dimebag.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 9:32 am 
Got Some

Well, I never really listend to Pantera, but at the bar I was at was playing Pantera videos and talking about what happened. It's pretty fucked up if you ask me. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 9:49 am 
Force of Nature

I couldn't fucking believe this when I heard it.

:cry:
Thanks Dimebag, you guys fucking rocked Cedar Rapids in 2000.

Anthrax has a tribute up:
http://www.anthrax.com

As does Zakk Wylde:
http://www.zakkwylde.com

Times like these make me loathe the human race.
It was also 24 years to the day that John Lennon was shot. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 5:42 pm 
Mike's Maniac

ElPhantasmo wrote:
stranger34 wrote:
bodybag darrell

It wasn't funny the first time, you fucking jerkoff.

I have to agree, this guy is a fucking jerkoff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 6:39 pm 
Johnny Guitar
 WWW  Profile

One of the greatest guitar player of all times is gone now, it's so fucked up, skocked deeply, you will be missed!!

one of the worst days in metal history, fuckin' sick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 6:57 pm 
Got Some

Why The Metal Gunman Cracked :shock:
http://nypost.com/news/nationalnews/21292.htm

Quote:
"My friend heard him yelling, 'Darrell, Darrell! You're the reason Pantera broke up. You ruined my life,' " Brian Windzigl, 22, told The Washington Post. "I saw him pull out a gun and shoot him in the face. It was point blank."

what a nut.Who cares if Pantera broke up.That is no reason to start shooting people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 7:30 pm 
Unthought Known
 WWW  YIM  Profile

I think we should keep this thread about remembering Dime and his life, rather than focusing on his death and the piece of shit that brought it about. There's no reason to give that fuck any more attention.

I sent men to their doom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 7:55 pm 
Banned from the Pit

This really, really sucks. Pantera was one of my top 5 favorite bands, and their concert I went to was probably the best show I've seen, ever. What the fuck is wrong with people today!!??

RIP DD, you are greatly missed!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 8:08 pm 
Administrator

Looks like Nathan Gale will go down as the Mark Chapman of heavy metal:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=s ... b_shooting

Shooting Suspect Obsessed With Pantera

By ANITA CHANG, Associated Press Writer

COLUMBUS, Ohio - The man who shot former Pantera guitarist "Dimebag" Darrell Abbott and three other men to death at a nightclub was obsessed with the popular heavy metal band and made bizarre accusations against it, a onetime friend said in reports published Friday.

Jeramie Brey said gunman Nathan Gale once showed up at a friend's house saying he wanted to share songs he had written. The pages of lyrics were copied from Pantera, but Gale claimed he had written them, Brey said.

"He was off his rocker," Brey told The Columbus Dispatch. "He said they were his songs, that Pantera stole them from him and that he was going to sue them."

He later told Brey that he planned to sue Pantera for stealing his identity. Brey and friend Dave Johnson said Gale's behavior frightened them and they distanced themselves from him several years ago. But other friends said they never considered Gale capable of violence.

On Wednesday night, the 25-year-old former Marine charged the stage at a show by Abbott's new band, Damageplan, and gunned down four people including Abbott before a policeman fatally shot him.

Police said Friday they still didn't know Gale's motive, and they may never find out. Some witnesses said Gale yelled accusations that the revered guitarist broke up Pantera, but police had not verified those reports.

An imposing figure at 6-foot-3, Gale had made people uneasy even at the tattoo parlor, staring and locking them into conversations about heavy metal music. When he played offensive line for the semi-pro Lima Thunder football team, he psyched himself up before games by piping Pantera into his headphones, coach Mark Green said.

But Green had not pegged Gale as the type to go on a shooting rampage.

"It wasn't like he was a loner," Green said.

Gale had had minor run-ins with police since 1997 but wasn't considered a troublemaker, according to police in his hometown of Marysville, 25 miles northwest of Columbus.

Gale had served with the 2nd Marine Division at Camp Lejeune in North Carolina until November 2003, when he was discharged after less than half of the typical four-year stint, Marine spokeswoman Gunnery Sgt. Kristine Scarber said. She declined to explain the discharge, citing privacy rules.

A few hours before the shooting, Gale had showed up at Marysville's Bears Den Tattoo Studio, where often he stared at people and forced them into conversations, manager Lucas Bender said.

"He comes in here and likes to hang out when he's not wanted," Bender said. "The most pointless conversations."

On Wednesday he asked about having the studio order tattoo equipment for him, tattoo artist Bo Toler said. Toler told him no, and Gale got angry and started yelling, he said.

"Last night was actually the first time I noticed his temper," Toler said.

No one answered the door Thursday at the Marysville home of Gale's mother, Mary Clark. A message left on her cell phone was not returned.

The violence at the smoke-filled Alrosa Villa club came just after the opening notes by Damageplan, the band formed by Abbott and his brother, drummer Vinnie Paul Abbott, after they left Pantera. Gale dodged two band members, grabbed Darrell Abbott and shot him at least five times in the head, witnesses and police said.

In less than five minutes, Gale had also killed Erin Halk, 29, a club employee who loaded band equipment; fan Nathan Bray, 23, of nearby Grove City; and band bodyguard Jeff Thompson, 40.

Two other band employees, Chris Paluska and John Brooks, remained in a hospital Friday morning with undisclosed injuries. Paluska was listed in good condition and Brooks in serious condition.

On 911 tapes released by authorities, one caller said, "I heard quite a few gunshots and I think somebody in the band definitely has been shot."

A short time later a man called and said: "He's on stage right now. He's got a gun." A moment later, the man said, "He just shot again," and then, "He's got a gun to somebody's head."

Despite a drizzle and temperatures in the 40s, more than 200 people turned up for a vigil Thursday night in the club's parking lot.

Shawn Sweeney, 22, played "old-school Pantera" on an acoustic guitar as a half-dozen young men held a blue tarp over his head and sang along as a crowd gathered.

"This is beautiful, this is absolutely beautiful," Sweeney said.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 8:37 pm 
Unthought Known
 WWW  YIM  Profile

I still can't believe this has actually happened. It's just so surreal. :cry:

I sent men to their doom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 2:36 am 
Force of Nature
 WWW  YIM  Profile

I only just heard about this and my head is spinning.
Why the hell would someone do something like that? Crazy or not crazy, people should know it's wrong to take anothers life.

It's a very sad day for heavy metal.

R.I.P Dimebag Darrell, you will be missed.
:cry:

Post subject: Dallas Stars issue condolences in guitarist's slaying
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 3:06 am 
Force of Nature

I wasn't sure if I should post this in here or in the sports section, but I'll put it here.

Dallas Stars issue condolences in guitarist's slaying
http://dallasstars.com/homeNewsDetail.jsp?id=2658

Stars Statements on Darrell Abbott
December 9, 2004

FRISCO, Tex. -- Former Pantera bandmember "Dimebag" Darrell Abbott was tragically killed Wednesday night at a concert in Columbus, Ohio. He and his brother Vinnie Paul were the driving force behind the Dallas Stars' official theme song played at Stars home games during the Stanley Cup run in 1999.

Official statements from the Dallas Stars on the passing of Darrell Abbott:

Dallas Stars President Jim Lites: "The Dallas Stars would like to pass along our condolences and sympathies to the family of Darrell Abbott. Our thoughts and prayers are with all of the victims of this attack and hope that all of the injured make a full recovery. We know the Abbotts as passionate hockey fans and consider them good friends of the Dallas Stars."

Two of the Abbotts' closest friends on the 1999 Stanley Cup Dallas Stars team were Craig Ludwig and Guy Carbonneau.

Former Stars Defenseman Craig Ludwig: "Dime was a great friend and an incredible person. He and Vinnie Paul loved what they did and loved the fans. They had a wonderful passion for their work and for the Dallas Stars. They were behind us 110%. They weren't just hockey fans, they were friends of the entire team. Dime will be missed very much."

Stars Assistant General Manager Guy Carbonneau: "I'd like to pass along my thoughts and prayers to these special friends who are a big part of the Dallas Stars family. I was horrified to hear the news of last night's events and it never ceases to amaze me how hurtful and violent people can be. My condolences go out to the family and I wish all of those involved a speedy recovery."

Darrell celebrating during the Stars 1999 Victory Parade

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 7:08 am 
Unthought Known

I don't know which is the more stupid fucked up act: that some guy would go shoot a guy dead for breaking up his favourite band, or that another guy is considering putting his ticket on ebay to profit from a multiple homicide.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 8:47 am 
Force of Nature

lol shocked my bodybag post didnt get removed. i guess otherbands moderators arent as gay as the general chat ones.

seriously was a horrible horrible incident

and by all accounts dimebag was a legend and a great dude

the bodybag comment was just me regurgitating some sick humor i heard earlier on imus. who is a corpse himself

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 4:29 pm 
Force of Nature

godeatgod wrote:
*Sighs*

Where were you guys when Quorthon died???? less of a violent death but more of a legend than Dime...

Shut the fuck up with your Euro death black satan swedish metal.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Other Bands