Board index » Word on the Street... » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 181 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:55 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

Yeah, I just got them for Christmas.

You are right in a sense though. They are "open-air" headphones, meaning they aren't enclosed and don't block out sound. I'm sure you know all about open and closed headphones so I won't go into it, but basically I don't like having all the sound shut out from around me. I like to be able to hear if someone is trying to get my attention or what not.

Regardless, they sound magnificent, and their open-air build is only really a problem if there is something extremely noisy going on nearby. So 90% of the time it's not a problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:59 pm 
Got Some

Buffalohed wrote:
Last I checked they weren't designed to be a fashion statement, they are audiophile-quality headphones - most of which look huge and ridiculous. Anyway, they sound awesome, and I don't plan on using them with a discman in public, so I'm not terribly worried about who is going to see me wearing them. :lol:

When I was traveling a couple weeks back from the U2/PJ show, I swear I saw atleast 5 different people around mewearing the same headphones. Forgive me for not knowing the model, but they were the Bose closed-ear, wireless, and noise-cancelling ones. Pretty sexy looking (or maybe that was the girl wearing them), but I'm afraid to even search for a price. Probably $500 or so. Some open-ear ones I want are the Grado sr-80s. Talk about comfortable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:19 pm 
Got Some

As for Mogwai, I listened to Rock Action today and now want to again. Young Team and Come On Die Young are amazing. I've yet to check out Happy Songs, which I wanted to save for last. Oh yeah, haven't heard the new one either, but at some point I will. Anyway, Happy Songs is supposed to be released on vinyl before long, but the site couldn't give me an exact date. Should I pre-order a record that I have no idea what the release date for it is? The only reason I can justify for doing it is because I figure they won't make very many. YT and CODY don't come cheap these days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:08 am 
Former PJ Drummer

wallsofsound wrote:
When I was traveling a couple weeks back from the U2/PJ show, I swear I saw atleast 5 different people around mewearing the same headphones. Forgive me for not knowing the model, but they were the Bose closed-ear, wireless, and noise-cancelling ones. Pretty sexy looking (or maybe that was the girl wearing them), but I'm afraid to even search for a price. Probably $500 or so. Some open-ear ones I want are the Grado sr-80s. Talk about comfortable.

Bose headphones are awful and a huge waste of money. People that have never heard audiophile headphones think they sound amazing and they shell out 500$ for them. It's pretty ridiculous. Anyone who is familiar with headphones will tell you that you can get a better sounding pair for less than 200. Bose is pretty much completely shunned in hi-fi circles.

Grados are supposedly the best headphones period for rock music. My Dad used to have a pair of SR-80s which we wore to disrepair through years of use. They were great, but one thing about them is they are really loud on the outside. They are like a small set of speakers if you are nearby someone who is listening to them. HD-600s are considered to be one of the most neutral headphones available, they aren't specifically good for rock which is why I like them - plus they have a much tighter sound than the SR-80s, which you would expect at almost 3x the price.

As far as Mogwai vinyls, I have no idea. I don't buy vinyl.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:49 am 
Got Some

Buffalohed wrote:
wallsofsound wrote:

Bose headphones are awful and a huge waste of money. People that have never heard audiophile headphones think they sound amazing and they shell out 500$ for them. It's pretty ridiculous. Anyone who is familiar with headphones will tell you that you can get a better sounding pair for less than 200. Bose is pretty much completely shunned in hi-fi circles.

Grados are supposedly the best headphones period for rock music. My Dad used to have a pair of SR-80s which we wore to disrepair through years of use. They were great, but one thing about them is they are really loud on the outside. They are like a small set of speakers if you are nearby someone who is listening to them. HD-600s are considered to be one of the most neutral headphones available, they aren't specifically good for rock which is why I like them - plus they have a much tighter sound than the SR-80s, which you would expect at almost 3x the price.

As far as Mogwai vinyls, I have no idea. I don't buy vinyl.

Good point and thanks for reminding me about the Grados. Back in college, my class used them for all of our listening/frequency tests and I remember having problems at times from hearing someone else's leak too much. I think the 125s have the 'cupped' ear pads, which should help some with isolation. The main thing I guess I remember was the comfort, as opposed to these Sony 7506s I wear all the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:05 am 
Former PJ Drummer

By the way, the Senn HD-600s are incredibly comfortable. Much moreso than I remember the Grados being.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:21 am 
Unthought Known

I just bought some Sennheiser HD555 and they are phenominal.

We are trapped in the belly of this horrible machine, and the machine is bleeding to death.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:44 am 
Leak Inspector
 WWW  Profile

am i the only one who loves the I Chose Horses lyrics?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:42 pm 
Interweb Celebrity

haunted by a freak is a great song.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:49 pm 
Secretary of the Contrarian
 WWW  Profile

No, Rock Action was their last album.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:58 pm 
Reissued

Mogwai = good.

Englightened posts by Mickey.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:43 am 
Former PJ Drummer

corduroy_blazer wrote:

Hunted* :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:51 am 
Interweb Celebrity

Buffalohed wrote:
corduroy_blazer wrote:

Hunted* :wink:

really? weirdo. that's how it was when i downloaded.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:52 am 
Former PJ Drummer

Check out the video for Hunted by a Freak here: http://www.mogwai.co.uk/category/Videos/

It's really creepy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:55 am 
Interweb Celebrity

i can only imagine. i'm gonna wait till i'm high tonight and freak myself out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:00 am 
Force of Nature

me :heartbeat: Mogwai

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:12 pm 
Secretary of the Contrarian
 WWW  Profile

zeb wrote:
bullet proof wrote:
Buffalohed wrote:
+
Live recordings of Helicon 1 and Mogwai Fear Satan in FLAC
=
Heaven.

irrelevant to note, but those things are hideous.

They look like they'd be kinda conducive to bleed. :thumbsdown:

LOL

Surely you can't be this ignorant? Buffalohed buys a great pair of headphones and all people are talking about is how ugly they are, or how they leak sound, or how Sennheiser sucks and Bose is actually a great brand. Never has it been more obvious that people here concern themselves solely with fashion.

I mean, zeb tries to pass himself off as a knowledgeable person and all he can say about Sennheiser headphones is that they look "conducive to bleed". I mean, what serious music fan would concern themselves with that? When you're buying headphones like this, it's not just as a last resort for when your neighbour yells at you for blasting Badmotorfinger; you're buying them for the majority of your listening. If you're zeb this is of course still a problem because you only use headphones to block out the noise on the train. The idea of buying quality headphones for private listening just never crosses your mind, in fact the idea strikes you as absurd. I mean you could have the best audio setup in the world but Badmotorfinger would still be Badmotorfinger. Try listening to it on the Sennheisers, Buffalohed, the lack of any of the nuances you notice on pretty much any other CD is hilarious.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:49 pm 
$5 Donation Gets Custom Title

Is this because I wouldn't let you be president of my fan club, King?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:50 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

I got some tingleys reading that.

I thought it was pretty ridiculous as well. But come on, did we expect anything less King? I'm not even going to try to say anything sarcastic or funny about it because you were pretty thorough yourself. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:26 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Buffalohed wrote:
Check out the video for Hunted by a Freak here: http://www.mogwai.co.uk/category/Videos/

It's really creepy.

Man, that dude is one sick-arse mother fucker!

I've been really loving the Mogwai since checking them out a few months ago.

Remembered to ask dude that I hung with most of party night if he had any idea why I had a large (fist-sized) purple bruise on my chest. He said he remembers "OW!" but that's it. Guess I'll never know.

Trades.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 181 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Other Bands