Board index » Word on the Street... » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 181 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mogwai
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:47 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

I'd throw my support behind "Happy Songs For Happy People" too. I like "Young Team" but tend to rate it lower than most people. Mogwai is definitely a band I feel has been served well by a larger budget.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:06 am 
Got Some

Kevin Davis wrote:
I'd throw my support behind "Happy Songs For Happy People" too. I like "Young Team" but tend to rate it lower than most people. Mogwai is definitely a band I feel has been served well by a larger budget.

I wouldn't disagree with the budget aspect. But it's easy to hear how YT blew everyone's mind when it came out.
The stretch of Happy Songs for Happy People-Mr Beast-The Hawk Is Howling is incredible to me. I don't like their latest as much, but it's still good. And I love the atmosphere of Come On Die Young and the electronic twists in Rock Action. Just an incredibly solid catalog and we haven't even talked about all the EPs.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:09 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Definitely. "Hawk is Howling" and "EP+2" (or +6 depending on your place of origin) are personal favorites too.

I also really like the EP they recorded for the "Travels in Constants" series--the opening track on there is quite possibly my favorite Mog tune.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:22 am 
Got Some

Kevin Davis wrote:
Definitely. "Hawk is Howling" and "EP+2" (or +6 depending on your place of origin) are personal favorites too.

I also really like the EP they recorded for the "Travels in Constants" series--the opening track on there is quite possibly my favorite Mog tune.

Ten Rapid is a fav of mine. Summer is a classic and I love it despite the Levi's commercial.

I freaked the fuck out the first time I saw it on TV.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:54 pm 
AnalLog

I like their middle/later period the best as well. When they started adding piano/electronics is when their music went from good to truly beautiful for me.

Always do the right thing.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:58 pm 
Got Some

Doesn't look like Drowned In Sound liked their set at Holland's Incubate festival.

"If we thought a picnic was the height of sedateness, we're soon proved wrong at Dommelsch Zaal soon after by Mogwai. Stuart Braithwaite and pals were, circa the arse-end of Britrock, possibly Europe's most vital live band. Tonight, even monoliths like 'Mogwai Fear Satan' require a tempo boost. We ponder how they've almost become the Oasis of post-rock nowadays, releasing albums that almost religiously stick to a formula (the introspective sung one, the eight-minute rolling distortion monster) where once they defied categorisation. And then we look around us. It's worse than that. We're surrounded: Mogwai have become a band for couples, the festival set where bearded boys can safely smooch with their nondescript girlfriends. What has the world come to?"

http://drownedinsound.com/in_depth/4145 ... dis-review

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:15 pm 
Unthought Known

turned2black wrote:
Doesn't look like Drowned In Sound liked their set at Holland's Incubate festival.

"If we thought a picnic was the height of sedateness, we're soon proved wrong at Dommelsch Zaal soon after by Mogwai. Stuart Braithwaite and pals were, circa the arse-end of Britrock, possibly Europe's most vital live band. Tonight, even monoliths like 'Mogwai Fear Satan' require a tempo boost. We ponder how they've almost become the Oasis of post-rock nowadays, releasing albums that almost religiously stick to a formula (the introspective sung one, the eight-minute rolling distortion monster) where once they defied categorisation. And then we look around us. It's worse than that. We're surrounded: Mogwai have become a band for couples, the festival set where bearded boys can safely smooch with their nondescript girlfriends. What has the world come to?"

"yeah i liked them before anyone ever heard of them."

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:21 pm 
Got Some

bmacsmith wrote:
turned2black wrote:

"yeah i liked them before anyone ever heard of them."

I must admit that I have suffered from that particular form of douchebaggery in the past.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:34 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

Judging a band's output by what their fan base looks like is so early 2000s Radiohead.

durdencommatyler wrote:
iPones, man. Fuck.

Proud member of: Team Binaural and Team Argo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:59 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Quote:
"Tonight, even monoliths like 'Mogwai Fear Satan' require a tempo boost. We ponder how they've almost become the Oasis of post-rock nowadays, releasing albums that almost religiously stick to a formula (the introspective sung one, the eight-minute rolling distortion monster) where once they defied categorisation."

I wonder what this writer would have Mogwai do exactly to challenge this formula--an alt-country album? A program of standards, perhaps? Collaboration with Odd Future? Mogwai are what they are--they evolve subtly and gradually within the context of what they do (anyone who sees no development between, say, "Young Team" and "The Hawk is Howling" isn't listening), but I would suspect that any conscious attempt at significantly changing what "what they do" constitutes would be a lot more detrimental to their enterprise than the reliable, workmanlike manner in which they go about their business now. Having been around for close to two decades now, the crowd that was attracted to "Young Team" because it was new and different will probably have moved onto something else--the reason Mogwai no longer "defy categorization," as the writer says, is because they were part of a wave of artists who in essence necessitated that the "uncategorizable" music they make assume categorization. But the crowd that was attracted to "Young Team" because they simply liked, fundamentally, what the music was, will likely never be disappointed with this band. The writer sounds like what he wants is novelty, something no one band can deliver consistently.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:50 pm 
Got Some

Just picked up "Waking Season" by Caspian. It's killer. Anyone into the whole Mogwai/GYBE/Explosions in the Sky sound, should check them out.
Here's Spin's review of the album: http://www.spin.com/reviews/caspian-wak ... iple-crown

Last edited by turned2black on Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:38 pm 
Got Some

great new album from Caspian. Will make for good fall listening

Hellomerch screwed up the vinyl presale pretty good though. sent me the black 180 gram instead of the clear. no big deal though.

there's an instrumental music thread somewhere in this forum that i posted about Caspian last month but it doesn't get too much use unfortunately

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:55 pm 
Got Some

deep wrote:
great new album from Caspian. Will make for good fall listening

Hellomerch screwed up the vinyl presale pretty good though. sent me the black 180 gram instead of the clear. no big deal though.

there's an instrumental music thread somewhere in this forum that i posted about Caspian last month but it doesn't get too much use unfortunately

I have just had "Waking Season" for a week and I love it. I grabbed it after watching some youtube videos. I'll have their entire catalog by the end of the week. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:56 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

Thanks for the Caspian recommendation. I wasn't aware they had a new one out.

durdencommatyler wrote:
iPones, man. Fuck.

Proud member of: Team Binaural and Team Argo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:04 pm 
Got Some

This is fucking great!

And the We Are Post Rock youtube channel is awesome.
http://www.youtube.com/user/wearepostrock

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:06 pm 
Got Some

yeah, of the videos ypu posted

Crawlspace is on The Four Trees
Sycamore is on Tertia
and Cigarette was on a tour EP a while back but it's out there.

Four Trees is my favorite

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:15 pm 
Got Some

deep wrote:
yeah, of the videos ypu posted

Crawlspace is on The Four Trees
Sycamore is on Tertia
and Cigarette was on a tour EP a while back but it's out there.

Four Trees is my favorite

Many thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:31 pm 
Got Some

Got more Caspian last night. They're great! Already worked their way up to No. 5 on my "post rock" list. Just above Mono, but below Sigur Ros.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:45 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Where should i go after the last record?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:47 pm 
Unthought Known

turned2black wrote:
Got more Caspian last night. They're great! Already worked their way up to No. 5 on my "post rock" list. Just above Mono, but below Sigur Ros.

i smell a ranking thread.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 181 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Other Bands