Board index » Word on the Street... » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: My Bloody Valentine Worship Thread
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:28 am 
Supersonic

Okay, I've recently realized that Loveless is among the greatest albums ever created. Isn't Anything is also pretty great, though Kevin Shields came a long way with his guitar work since then. I downloaded the Glider and Tremolo EP's, and both are pretty nifty.

:worthy:

So, come all, give your opinion

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:30 am 
Leak Inspector
 WWW  Profile

the only album i have is "loveless", and thats definitely something

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:58 am 
Supersonic

then there's a few more that I havem't heard / aren't relevant

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:50 am 
Unthought Known

I have a whole shitload of their early EPs, but none of it really compares to Isn't anything and Loveless

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:46 am 
Jim's Pal

i've listened to loveless yesterday and while i do like it a lot, it's nowhere near my top 10 of the 90's... but i can see why many people worship it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:50 am 
Reissued
 WWW  Profile

i downloaded a few tracks but i have yet to "get it". i can hardly hear what they are saying.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:15 am 
Got Some

jim wrote:
i downloaded a few tracks but i have yet to "get it". i can hardly hear what they are saying.

that apparently is part of their "thing". the vocals are supposed to be just part of the song, not the focus. i hear where you are coming from, but the few lyrics i do understand don't really seem to add much to the sound/song.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:28 pm 
Unthought Known

jim wrote:

I personally see the vocals as just another instrument, rather than the central part of the song as vocals tend to be. Similar to the way Jonsi's vocals blend in with the music in Sigur Ros's music.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:11 am 
Former PJ Drummer

I feel that I am justified in bumping not 1 but 2 My Bloody Valentine threads because to be completely honest and unbiased, Loveless is probably the best piece of recorded music to reach human ears in the past 17 years.

There is no emoticon equipped to express the magnitude of my adulation for Loveless.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:12 am 
Unthought Known

It is one of my 25 favourites of the 90's, but I dunno if I can place it at number one.

State your case.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:25 am 
Former PJ Drummer

I'll state a case suitable for 2:15 in the morning.

It took about 10 listens before I "got" the first 5 tracks, mostly because I "got" When You Sleep. Then it took about 20 more listens before I "got" the rest of it. But holy shit, when I got Sometimes and What You Want, oh man. Game over.

Every night before I go to sleep I put something in my CD player. This is one of the only times I listen to something based purely on what I love. I would guess that probably 75 times over the past year it has been Loveless.

Stating a case, right... There could be some albums out there that are as beautiful as Loveless. Maybe Agaetis Byrjun, maybe Ladies and Gentlemen..., maybe Emperor Tomato Ketchup, maybe Psychocandy, maybe Soft Bulletin, maybe a lot more. But only Loveless completely threw traditional "melodies" out of the window to do it. Those other things are fucking awesome, yeah, but somewhere somehow you can trace those songs back to some other song that used the same chords and notes, or some combination of.

Loveless is so incredible because I can't even contemplate where the songs came from. Each one is so unique it's like something I have never heard before. Shit everyone talks about the texture of the album which there is no denying is incredible but it pales next to the complexity of the layers used to make their sounds.

And talk about using the voice as just another instrument. Never have I been less likely to actually listen to words in a song than I am with Loveless. Fuck I think the only lyrics I know are "When I look at you, I don't know what's real".

I mean I don't know man I can't expect anyone to see things the exact same way I do... I am perfectly happy if someone has them in their top 25 of the decade or if they don't have them on their list at all.

I'll be honest though I think Soft Bulletin, MCATIS, and OK Computer are the only albums from the 90s that Loveless doesn't straight bend over and give it to. Not even Young Team.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:36 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

I love the way the band used vocals. It's like another guitar. The first time I heard one of their songs I fell right in step with it.

Rise. Life is in motion...

don't it make you smile?
don't it make you smile?
when the sun don't shine? (shine at all)
don't it make you smile?

RIP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:17 pm 
Got Some

Jim wrote:

your not really supposed to. I think its all about the atmosphere of the music and the voice is almost more of an insturment. I dont even know why they wrote lyrics at all.

the first time I heard it, I thought it sounded really harsh, its kinda both hard on your ears and really feels good to listen to at the same time, just in different parts of the songs.

http://www.jason-stallings.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:21 pm 
Force of Nature

It's been a long time, well over ten years since I heard MBV. I was a big fan back then, my experience was similar to Buffalohed's in terms of the amount of time I had to spend with their records before I understood why every critic in England was calling Kevin Shields a genius. Loveless is one of those records that's always in the back of my mind to revisit.

Still, I heard Soon the other day and to be honest it sounded a bit dated - I can't help associating that indie dance rhythm with a very specific period of time - so maybe MBV are best left as good memories for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:26 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

I used to melt into a euphoric puddle while listening to this. Lately i have only slightly orgasmed to it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:27 am 
Former PJ Drummer

Do we really need two MBV threads on the same page

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:47 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

glorified_version wrote:

yes

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:43 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

glorified_version wrote:

Like I said I felt justified bumping both of them.

And with the 1st page always full of at least 2 Cornell/Dylan/Young threads, I figured why the hell not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:33 am 
Leak Inspector
 WWW  Profile

Sometimes is amazing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:02 am 
Unthought Known

psychobain wrote:
Sometimes is amazing.

I was just about to mention this.

Want a reason?
How's about "because"?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Other Bands