Board index » Word on the Street... » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 268 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Jazz
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:53 am 
Force of Nature

Kevin Davis wrote:
I've always debated "Blue Train"'s place in the canon of essential jazz records. I mean, it's thoroughly enjoyable, and significant for being what to my knowledge is the first program of (primarily) all original Coltrane music, but I can probably name 20 Coltrane albums I like better. My theory is that, it being the only Coltrane album in Blue Note's library, they keep it perpetually in print and up-to-date with whatever remastering technique is currently in vogue, so over the years it's become one of the first Coltrane records that any new fan sees, and by sheer economy there are probably more copies of it floating around than all but the most famous Impulse! albums. Oddly enough, my favorite tune on it is "I'm Old Fashioned," the only one he didn't write...

I always wondered why Coltrane only did one album for Blue Note. I think the one Coltrane album I find myself continually returning too is Coltrane's Sound. I really like that streak that produced Sound and Favourite Things. The Coltrane album that first really blew my mind was Ascension though. That totally flipped some concepts I had on their head as to what you can & cannot do in a 'song' (even if it was just an extension of Ornette Coleman's 'Free Jazz' which I only discovered later).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:39 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

"Ascension" hit me like a load of bricks too, dumbcharger. It's one of those records that doesn't get played often, but when I'm in the right head space and can set aside an hour to properly listen to it, I feel purged when it's over.

This is one I find myself consistently reaching for: http://www.amazon.com/My-Favorite-Thing ... ne+newport
I think the "Favorite Things" from '63 is probably my favorite recording of Coltrane on soprano sax.

Also, if you like "Coltrane's Sound" and "My Favorite Things," you may want to check out "Coltrane Plays the Blues," which was recorded in the same sessions but not released until 1962. In Ben Ratliff's book he calls it "one of the great albums in jazz," but says that it was "overshadowed by other material he recorded during the same sessions." http://books.google.com/books?id=K3WNFh ... CDQQ6AEwBg

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:01 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Kevin Davis wrote:
Give this album a shot, Reid:
http://www.amazon.com/Highway-Rider-Bra ... hway+rider

Mehldau mainly works in his trio but this is one of his best records--not the same degree of crazed abandon that you'd find on a Mingus record, but similarly meticulous orchestration. Basically it's just a badass jazz record you should check out.

big fan of his work...saw him live a couple of times, the last time he wasnt really there..you could see him wanting to go away soon.
Strange.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:52 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

Oh man, "Free Jazz" was one of the first jazz records that I remember falling in love with. That album still blows my mind.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:03 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

washing machine wrote:
Oh man, "Free Jazz" was one of the first jazz records that I remember falling in love with. That album still blows my mind.

Ornette Coleman and Coltrane...i was kinda obsessed by them when i was younger...specially with free jazz, ascension and blue train.
I used to make a big cup of coffee and put those in the winter. Good old times.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:12 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

What's Sun Ra all about? I've been interested in him for a while, but haven't a clue where to start.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:15 pm 
Unthought Known

washing machine wrote:
What's Sun Ra all about? I've been interested in him for a while, but haven't a clue where to start.

Astro Black is interesting

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:16 pm 
statistically insignificant

Doug RR wrote:
washing machine wrote:

Image is interesting

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:19 pm 
Unthought Known

ha. sun ra put out more albums than games won by the astros this year

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:20 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

The season's not over, RR.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:20 pm 

Doug RR wrote:
ha. sun ra put out more albums than games won by the astros this year

factually, this is incorrect

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:25 pm 
Unthought Known

well it was just a guess

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:25 pm 

i hope you learned your lesson

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:23 pm 
Master of Meh

Doug RR wrote:
washing machine wrote:

Lanquidity is one of my 'go to' albums.

It doesn't such much like any other Sun Ra I've heard, but I really love it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:25 pm 
Unthought Known

spenno wrote:
Doug RR wrote:
washing machine wrote:

Lanquidity is one of my 'go to' albums.

It doesn't such much like any other Sun Ra I've heard, but I really love it.

very good album..the title track is good to listen to in a dark room

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:15 am 
Force of Nature

Kevin Davis wrote:
"Ascension" hit me like a load of bricks too, dumbcharger. It's one of those records that doesn't get played often, but when I'm in the right head space and can set aside an hour to properly listen to it, I feel purged when it's over.

This is one I find myself consistently reaching for: http://www.amazon.com/My-Favorite-Thing ... ne+newport
I think the "Favorite Things" from '63 is probably my favorite recording of Coltrane on soprano sax.

Also, if you like "Coltrane's Sound" and "My Favorite Things," you may want to check out "Coltrane Plays the Blues," which was recorded in the same sessions but not released until 1962. In Ben Ratliff's book he calls it "one of the great albums in jazz," but says that it was "overshadowed by other material he recorded during the same sessions." http://books.google.com/books?id=K3WNFh ... CDQQ6AEwBg

Yeah I couldn't remember if it was 'Jazz' or 'Plays the Blues' that also popped up out of those sessions. I do indeed own Blues though but probably should revisit it as I don't think I gave it much of a chance to sink in at the time. That book looks cool, I'll have to suss it out once I get through my current batch of reading. I think the only other Coltrane book I've read is Ashley Khan's study on Love Supreme.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:18 am 
Master of Meh

I know I've talked a lot about my love for Nels Cline on RM before, but I listened to this album again yesterday (along with Sun Ra's Lanquidity, which I mentioned on the previous page) and it still really blows me away - I think some of you guys might be into it. Some pretty explosive free jazz with moments of both spacey tranquility and Melvins-like thundering riffery.

The Veil by BB&C (Tim Berne, Jim Black & Nels Cline)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:20 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

spenno wrote:
I know I've talked a lot about my love for Nels Cline on RM before, but I listened to this album again yesterday (along with Sun Ra's Lanquidity, which I mentioned on the previous page) and it still really blows me away - I think some of you guys might be into it. Some pretty explosive free jazz with moments of both spacey tranquility and Melvins-like thundering riffery.

The Veil by BB&C (Tim Berne, Jim Black & Nels Cline)

I began listening to Nels after hiw work with Mike Watt, ill check this out now.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:21 am 

bump

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:01 pm 
Force of Nature

I really like the album Fat Albert Rotunda by Herbie Hancock. I wish I could find more albums in this particular style.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 268 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Other Bands