Board index » Word on the Street... » Other Bands

Post subject: conor oberst
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:54 am 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

i listen to bright eyes a little bit, but i have no idea why. they are melodic and entertaining. but i find myself wondering why so many people take conor oberst so seriously. he seems like nothing more than a sad, opinionated kid that is stuck in a state of arrested development. why is he revered so much? is it because so many 21st century under 30 year olds feel connected to him? if so, why do they? the world needs help.

Post subject: Re: conor oberst
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:58 am 
Temporary Secretary
 WWW  Profile

yeah, you pretty much got it

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:59 am 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

i do like lua though. that's a great fucking song. and much of the instrumentation on lifted is top notch.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:03 am 
Unthought Known

I like over-emotive Bright Eyes as opposed to the more wistful and plaintive Bright Eyes that has cropped up lately

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:05 am 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

Echoes wrote:
I like over-emotive Bright Eyes as opposed to the more wistful and plaintive Bright Eyes that has cropped up lately

can you explain why, so that this thread can move more in that direction?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:07 am 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:10 am 
Former PJ Drummer
 WWW  Profile

we hung out with him for a few hours last year, he was on before Rufus & we were chatting about Bruce Springsteen & his wife & they'd bought him this jacket he was wearing. Nice guy..i wasn't crazy about his show, i wanted to like it but it just didn't reach me..

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:27 am 
Got Some
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

Echoes wrote:

I enjoy early Bright Eyes, but sometime it gets to be a little too over-emotive for my taste.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:31 am 
Got Some
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

washing machine wrote:
i listen to bright eyes a little bit, but i have no idea why. they are melodic and entertaining. but i find myself wondering why so many people take conor oberst so seriously. he seems like nothing more than a sad, opinionated kid that is stuck in a state of arrested development. why is he revered so much? is it because so many 21st century under 30 year olds feel connected to him? if so, why do they? the world needs help.

Even though I like Bright Eyes, I feel the same way. He's a good songwriter, but he's not as good as he's generally made out to be. Definitely not the best songwriter out right now like so many of my friends who listen to Bright Eyes seem to think.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:50 am 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

Pat H wrote:
washing machine wrote:

Even though I like Bright Eyes, I feel the same way. He's a good songwriter, but he's not as good as he's generally made out to be. Definitely not the best songwriter out right now like so many of my friends who listen to Bright Eyes seem to think.

the best example i can think of to illustrate my love/hate with conor oberst is during the opening track on IWAIM. the spoken word opening is interesting enough, and i find myself listening to and enjoying this little story that oberst is telling. he's talking, talking, and then he gets to the part about how she is reading an article about some third world country that she can't pronounce the name of. right before he gets to this part, he uncomfortably pauses before deciding on the word "arduous". i hate that. i hate how he pauses, then i hate the word that he chooses to use. it sounds so, i dunno. pretentious i guess.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:48 am 
Got Some
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

washing machine wrote:
Pat H wrote:
washing machine wrote:

the best example i can think of to illustrate my love/hate with conor oberst is during the opening track on IWAIM. the spoken word opening is interesting enough, and i find myself listening to and enjoying this little story that oberst is telling. he's talking, talking, and then he gets to the part about how she is reading an article about some third world country that she can't pronounce the name of. right before he gets to this part, he uncomfortably pauses before deciding on the word "arduous". i hate that. i hate how he pauses, then i hate the word that he chooses to use. it sounds so, i dunno. pretentious i guess.

Pretentious would be the correct word. I like the song, but that story gets to me, I think it's because of all the unessessary pauses and stuttering.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:46 pm 
Global Moderator

Pat H wrote:
washing machine wrote:
Pat H wrote:
washing machine wrote:

Pretentious would be the correct word. I like the song, but that story gets to me, I think it's because of all the unessessary pauses and stuttering.

yeah that story almost ruins the song for me. Pretentious is exactly the right word.

He's a pretty amazing lyricist. One of the best out there now. But the music and signing is sooo overwrought that I can only listen to him in small doses, and his songs are pretty hit or miss.

The perfect gift for certain occasions

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:55 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

I'd hit him.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:36 pm 
Hipster doofus

Angus wrote:
I'd hit it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:17 pm 
Former PJ Drummer
 WWW  Profile

he's pretentious, but i think he manages to pull it off. there's a lot of truth to his lyrics, and that goes a long way when it comes to striking a chord with an audience. i know i wouldn't like half the songs of his i like if the lyrics weren't on point. cause the lyrics had me listen to songs i don't like again until i liked them. he's a great storyteller, which i think out weighs self indulgence and pretension. i'm a big fan. i mean if there's one thing rock n roll has always allowed that in other places will get you criticized heavily, its pretension.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:13 pm 
Temporary Secretary
 WWW  Profile

windedsailor wrote:
i mean if there's one thing rock n roll has always allowed that in other places will get you criticized heavily, its pretension.

U2?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:33 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

mecca2687 wrote:
windedsailor wrote:
i mean if there's one thing rock n roll has always allowed that in other places will get you criticized heavily, its pretension.

U2?

There's a brazillion examples really.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:18 pm 
Former PJ Drummer
 WWW  Profile

Angus wrote:
mecca2687 wrote:
windedsailor wrote:

U2?

yeah, but there's more that get away with it. and as much as U2 get criticized, its most likely not as much as they deserve.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:45 pm 
Temporary Secretary
 WWW  Profile

windedsailor wrote:
Angus wrote:
mecca2687 wrote:
windedsailor wrote:

U2?

yeah, but there's more that get away with it. and as much as U2 get criticized, its most likely not as much as they deserve.

no one will ever be fairly judged with the many differing opinions we find when it comes to music

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:09 am 
Former PJ Drummer
 WWW  Profile

mecca2687 wrote:
windedsailor wrote:
Angus wrote:
mecca2687 wrote:
windedsailor wrote:

U2?

no one will ever be fairly judged with the many differing opinions we find when it comes to music

that's fine, but none of this talk matters to my initial point that rock stars get away with pretension. jeeze, way to focus on what matters. : :wink:

Board index » Word on the Street... » Other Bands