Board index » Word on the Street... » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 753 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38  Next
 Post subject: Re: I'm starting to really dig Sonic Youth
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:38 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

matt reeder wrote:
dyingonahilltop wrote:
Has anyone else heard their live album from the 80's Hold That Tiger? It's a pretty incredible document of their live show around the Sister era. Tremendous energy, raw as hell performance. It's awesome. Essential for any fan, I'd say. I just kind of wish it had Daydream Nation songs on it.

That's a great disc. You can still find used copies here in Portland at various stores. I love the Ramones encore but I wish they would have done their own songs...it always sounds weird to me when I hear Sonic Youth cover anything. Nobody can adequately cover them (though Beck's version of "Green Light" and Mudhoney's version of "Halloween" are pretty good) and they always sound uncomfortable covering other bands.

I'm sorry you can't get into Murray Street Spenno...it's been one of my favorites ever since it came out. I'd probably rank it top 3 for me right now.

I'm on a huge Washing Machine kick right now. That tour has always been my favorite era of live SY because it's the only time they've tried to cover their entire catalog, from the beginning all the way through their then-current album. Even though they were only playing 75-85 minutes a show (of which 15 minutes went to "The Diamond Sea"), you get huge setlist variety and an inspired band that hadn't toured the US in 3 years. Here's what I listened to this morning:
------------
SONIC YOUTH
July 30, 1995
Blockbuster/Sony Pavillion
Camden, NJ, USA

setlist:
Kotton Krown
Self-Obsessed and Sexxee
Bull in the Heather
Starfield Road
Washing Machine
Unwind
Saucer-like
Teenage Riot
Becuz
World Looks Red
Confusion is Next
The Diamond Sea
--------------------------
Followed by the incomplete recording of the next night:
--------------------------
SONIC YOUTH
July 31, 1995
Starlake Amphitheatre
Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Setlist: (incomplete)
01 Intro
02 Tom Violence
03 Pacific Coast Highway
04 Expressway To Yr. Skull
05 Bull In The Heather
06 Starfield Road

Lineage: Core Sound Binaurals > Sony WM-D3 > Cassette (Master) > Cassette(1) >
Cassette (2) >Har-Bal v2.3 > Wavelab v6.11 Build 353 > Audacity 1.3 Beta > Traders Little Helper

Remaster lineage: adjusted speed +6.2%, bumped up the treble a bit and amplified to a normal CD volume (no clipping!)

Washing machine has always been one of my favorites SY records..its really good...can you upload the first night?
Also, Washing machine, the user, is really great too.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:21 am 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

:D to both points.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:31 am 
Master of Meh

VinylGuy wrote:
can you upload the first night?

http://sonicyouth.utkonos.org/lossless/ ... ud.flac16/

Knock yrself out.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:44 am 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

This is going straight to the guys at @cactus_music.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:13 am 
Master of Meh

Also, I may've been too unkind to The Eternal on reflection: while it's not exactly a fitting final statement, they've had a number of albums that you could class as transitional before. I'm thinking of Experimental Jet Set etc. and Murray Street in particular - records that I didn't (and don't) really care for, but I understand their place in the discography as a bridge between (for example) the Sonic Youth that produced Dirty and that which made Washing Machine.

Their last real release was SYR9 which I found really interesting and enjoyable. Combined with the return in 2011 of some of the long-forgotten Bad Moon Rising material, it felt as though they were venturing back into the haunting and spooked aspects of their sound that were quite prominent through the early-to-mid 80s.

Who knows if they'll ever decide to do anything else as a band. As Lee's said, and I think he's the only member I've read comment on it, it's not like they'll ever really be apart since there will always be reasons for them to discuss Sonic Youth issues - like the upcoming 1985 live album, for instance. They did manage to make it through that whole South American tour last year after T & K split, so it's not as though it's beyond the realms of possibility.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:15 am 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

Spencer, I'm guessing that Thurston, Kim, Yoko release was recorded a while back?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:17 am 
Master of Meh

washing machine wrote:
Spencer, I'm guessing that Thurston, Kim, Yoko release was recorded a while back?

Yeah, I read an interview with Kim the other day where I'm pretty sure she said it was recorded around 18 months ago (so, early 2011 or thereabouts).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:20 am 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

I'd wager there's a lot of tension on that album. Far be it from me to care too much about a band's dirty laundry, but sometimes knowing these sorts of things makes for an interesting listen.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:56 am 
Master of Meh

If any of you guys don't have this one yet, it's a must (soundboard/audience matrix):

http://sonicyouth.utkonos.org/lossless/ ... er.flac16/

Quote:
Sonic Youth
2004-08-14
Avalon Ballroom
Boston, MA

01. Burning Spear
02. Pattern Recognition
03. Disconnection Notice
04. Mote
05. New Hampshire
06. Dude Ranch Nurse
07. Sugar Kane
08. Kim Gordon and the Arthur Doyle Hand Cream
09. Stones
10. I Love You Golden Blue
11. Paper Cup Exit
12. White Kross
13. Unmade Bed
14. Pacific Coast Highway
15. Expressway to Yr. Skull

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:56 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Kim Gordon and the arturh doyle cream was supposed to be about Mariah Carey right?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:55 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

Yeah, when I saw them a few months before Nurse came out, Kim introduced the song as "Kim Gordon and the Mariah Carey Hand Cream." Mariah is also mentioned in the lyrics.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:22 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

washing machine wrote:
Yeah, when I saw them a few months before Nurse came out, Kim introduced the song as "Kim Gordon and the Mariah Carey Hand Cream." Mariah is also mentioned in the lyrics.

i think they didnt want any kind of trouble or something.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:07 pm 
Got Some

This thread is making me recall the best time I saw Sonic Youth.

I've seen them 4 times, though it should be more like 8 or 9 times. I missed golden opportunities to see them in 1997, 2000 and 2002 (this time I even had a ticket...grrr) so I didn't see them in 2003. I saw them twice that year, as they were winding down the Murray Street tour. The first time was great, as it was cool to hear all of Murray Street as well as "Eric's Trip", "Teenage Riot", "Schizophrenia" and "Kool Thing". Still, they were great but they weren't transcendent. They may have been because I saw a fairly underwhelming PJ show the next night (6/18/03 in Chicago). But they weren't god-like.

The second time was god-like.

They were finishing up the Murray Street tour with a tour headlining a few small festivals and opening up for Iggy and the Stooges. I found out via a small flier in my town in downstate Illinois that Sonic Youth was to headline Goose Island Fest, a festival put on by Goose Island Beer, on August 15. The support acts were awesome too - Guided By Voices and Bob Mould. Tickets were only $20. We got tickets easily and got really stoked.

The "festival" took place in an abandoned steelyard in Chicago with lax security. There must have been 10 people recording that night. There were two bands before Bob Mould, one of whom was the Waco Brothers. I don't remember much about them or Bob Mould for that matter, though I remember Bob Mould being good. Guided By Voices were awesome, really awesome. They had an hour and I think they played something like 35-40 songs. I remember Bob Pollard declaring towards the end of their set: "Most bands when they have 5 minutes left play one song; we're gonna do 5!". They were great.

And then came Sonic Youth.

I took a whole bunch of photos that night as we were really close to the stage. They came on around dusk and opened with "Rain On Tin". I could tell it was on; that was and is my favorite song on Murray Street and you could tell that they were really into it. They hadn't played in a week and this was to be one of the last headlining sets that tour.

The main set was FANTASTIC:

Rain On Tin
Drunken Butterfly
White Kross
Skip Tracer
The Empty Page
Plastic Sun
Radical Adults Lick Godhead Style
Catholic Block
Karenology
Mariah Carey and the Arthur Doyle Handcream
100%
Sympathy for the Strawberry

I'd heard "Catholic Block" at the St. Louis show earlier that summer but was delighted to hear it again. "White Kross" and "Skip Tracer" were very, very welcome. I never got to see them on the Washing Machine tour so hearing "Skip Tracer" was a delight. "100%" really got the crowd going. It was obvious that it was a crowd that was very into Sonic Youth.

They came back out for a first encore and played "Peace Attack", which I'd heard earlier that year in St. Louis. It was nice to hear again. I figured their time might be short so me and my friends started requesting "Expressway to Yr Skull", which I had read they had resurrected earlier that summer". If you listen to the recording of the show you can very clearly hear us. They instead played "Making the Nature Scene", which was awesome. I love it when they play early stuff live so it was cool to hear, though I think I would have preferred "Brother James". Still, I wasn't complaining. That was encore 1.

Then they came back out. Our section requested "Expressway" one last time, and this time they obliged.

It was transcendent.

If you ever got to see them play this song, you know what I'm talking about. To me it's always been one of my top 2-3 SY songs (high praise) but live it's even more amazing, seeing them wring and wrench feedback from their guitars over Kim's descending bassline. Jim O'Rourke really meshed well with them here, adding touches of noise to Thurston and Lee's feedback. The ending to this version was very subdued but very beautiful, as they tapped on the necks of their guitars to let the low feedback build and build, similar to the studio version. It was a great ending to a great show.

I saw them twice after this and although I got setlists both shows, got to bang on Thurston's guitar at the end of "Schizophrenia" one night and finally got to hear "Silver Rocket" and "Death Valley '69", they never came close to topping that night in Chicago.

I hope to see them again in the future. It would make me very sad if they decided to hang it up for good.

Pearl Jam shows:
Champaign 4/23/2003
Chicago 6/18/2003
St. Louis 10/05/2004
Portland 7/20/2006
Gorge 7/22/2006
Ridgefield 9/26/2009
Philadelphia 10/31/2009

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:14 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Great reflection, Matt. You're making me feel bummed that I didn't get into them in time to see them. I could have easily made the gig you're talking about.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:48 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

matt reeder wrote:
This thread is making me recall the best time I saw Sonic Youth.

I've seen them 4 times, though it should be more like 8 or 9 times. I missed golden opportunities to see them in 1997, 2000 and 2002 (this time I even had a ticket...grrr) so I didn't see them in 2003. I saw them twice that year, as they were winding down the Murray Street tour. The first time was great, as it was cool to hear all of Murray Street as well as "Eric's Trip", "Teenage Riot", "Schizophrenia" and "Kool Thing". Still, they were great but they weren't transcendent. They may have been because I saw a fairly underwhelming PJ show the next night (6/18/03 in Chicago). But they weren't god-like.

The second time was god-like.

They were finishing up the Murray Street tour with a tour headlining a few small festivals and opening up for Iggy and the Stooges. I found out via a small flier in my town in downstate Illinois that Sonic Youth was to headline Goose Island Fest, a festival put on by Goose Island Beer, on August 15. The support acts were awesome too - Guided By Voices and Bob Mould. Tickets were only $20. We got tickets easily and got really stoked.

The "festival" took place in an abandoned steelyard in Chicago with lax security. There must have been 10 people recording that night. There were two bands before Bob Mould, one of whom was the Waco Brothers. I don't remember much about them or Bob Mould for that matter, though I remember Bob Mould being good. Guided By Voices were awesome, really awesome. They had an hour and I think they played something like 35-40 songs. I remember Bob Pollard declaring towards the end of their set: "Most bands when they have 5 minutes left play one song; we're gonna do 5!". They were great.

And then came Sonic Youth.

I took a whole bunch of photos that night as we were really close to the stage. They came on around dusk and opened with "Rain On Tin". I could tell it was on; that was and is my favorite song on Murray Street and you could tell that they were really into it. They hadn't played in a week and this was to be one of the last headlining sets that tour.

The main set was FANTASTIC:

Rain On Tin
Drunken Butterfly
White Kross
Skip Tracer
The Empty Page
Plastic Sun
Radical Adults Lick Godhead Style
Catholic Block
Karenology
Mariah Carey and the Arthur Doyle Handcream
100%
Sympathy for the Strawberry

I'd heard "Catholic Block" at the St. Louis show earlier that summer but was delighted to hear it again. "White Kross" and "Skip Tracer" were very, very welcome. I never got to see them on the Washing Machine tour so hearing "Skip Tracer" was a delight. "100%" really got the crowd going. It was obvious that it was a crowd that was very into Sonic Youth.

They came back out for a first encore and played "Peace Attack", which I'd heard earlier that year in St. Louis. It was nice to hear again. I figured their time might be short so me and my friends started requesting "Expressway to Yr Skull", which I had read they had resurrected earlier that summer". If you listen to the recording of the show you can very clearly hear us. They instead played "Making the Nature Scene", which was awesome. I love it when they play early stuff live so it was cool to hear, though I think I would have preferred "Brother James". Still, I wasn't complaining. That was encore 1.

Then they came back out. Our section requested "Expressway" one last time, and this time they obliged.

It was transcendent.

If you ever got to see them play this song, you know what I'm talking about. To me it's always been one of my top 2-3 SY songs (high praise) but live it's even more amazing, seeing them wring and wrench feedback from their guitars over Kim's descending bassline. Jim O'Rourke really meshed well with them here, adding touches of noise to Thurston and Lee's feedback. The ending to this version was very subdued but very beautiful, as they tapped on the necks of their guitars to let the low feedback build and build, similar to the studio version. It was a great ending to a great show.

I saw them twice after this and although I got setlists both shows, got to bang on Thurston's guitar at the end of "Schizophrenia" one night and finally got to hear "Silver Rocket" and "Death Valley '69", they never came close to topping that night in Chicago.

I hope to see them again in the future. It would make me very sad if they decided to hang it up for good.

Great post Matt...you always write great stuff...here are my two memories of SY live.

First time i saw them was in 2000, in my country Buenos Aires...they were touring NYC ghosts & flowers, which i didnt listened yet. I was pretty much into them because of Dirty and some other record but i wasnt a real fan, i wasnt obsessed with them it was more like, lets see this great band , they have some good songs.
I was impressed by dirty and kinda wanted them to play those songs. A few months before the show i got into some other stuff, mainly daydream nation and washing machine and some singles and videos from that era. I was now into full fan mode.
They played in a really cool festival as headliners and Sean Lennon open for them. I didn´t know him at all and his show was pretty boring, the girl from Cibo Matto was there...all their songs sounded the same to me.
Just before SY a inmense storm came...even if there was a roof, the storm was so wild there were rumors of the show being canceled...but after a while they came out and played this setlist:

SET LIST
Schizophrenia
White Kross
Bull in the Heather
Free City Rhymes
Nevermind
Side2Side
Mote
She is Not Alone
Kool Thing
Burning Spear
NYC Ghosts & Flowers
--
100%
Brother James

I didnt know many of the songs, but was pretty happy to hear 100%, kool thing, bull in the heater...the "hits".
But the performance was something i didnt expect...seeing jim o rourke with them also helped...they were so fucking intense...they came grab the instruments and just fucking rocked. Here we are, this is SY, that´s what i felt that night.
Kim totally stole the show, from her jumps and talent playing to her singing...during kool thing she just grabed the mic and sang closer to the audience and just enchanted everyone.
I left and the rain was just pouring, with lightnings and eveyrything...a real mess...came home at 5 o clock in the morning, mud all over me, freezing but happy.

Cut to eleven years after....now im officially a SY real fan. I can say why i dont like mark ibold playing with them , why i prefer the diamond sea version in WM than in the b sides compilation and why im crazy in love with Sonic Nurse but not Rather Ripped.
I was about the see them in Texas in 2009 but they canceled because of someone´s injury....they came to brazil and uruguay i think but not played here, so it was always close but not just yet...
Then they announce the gig and a few months later their hiatus. I knew then that the show, the first one in a long time, was going to just different.
And boy it was. There was this tension there, and it just seemed to helped them to fucking rock out. Lee was on fire and now thurston moore stole the show...everything was about him, the guitars, the singing..it was like he was telling everybody, hey this is my band ok?
Both nights teenage riot was in the setlist but not fucking played....

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:39 pm 
Got Some

VinylGuy wrote:

Great post Matt...you always write great stuff...

Thanks. I'm listening to a recording of this show now and it's just as good as I remember it being.

Too bad the show you described above hasn't surfaced. I was thinking that was the show MTV broadcast until I looked it up - the full pro-shot broadcast out there is the show from the night before in Brazil. Your show sounds fantastic.

Pearl Jam shows:
Champaign 4/23/2003
Chicago 6/18/2003
St. Louis 10/05/2004
Portland 7/20/2006
Gorge 7/22/2006
Ridgefield 9/26/2009
Philadelphia 10/31/2009

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:43 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

matt reeder wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:

Great post Matt...you always write great stuff...

Thanks. I'm listening to a recording of this show now and it's just as good as I remember it being.

Too bad the show you described above hasn't surfaced. I was thinking that was the show MTV broadcast until I looked it up - the full pro-shot broadcast out there is the show from the night before in Brazil. Your show sounds fantastic.

it was amazing, and different. I dont think i was so blown away by some show as that one at the time. I didnt metion that a week after i saw Lou Reed in the Ectasy tour in some Theatre in Buenos Aires. So in a week, two icons from New York live...the Lou Reed show was amazing too...he even did Perfect Day and Walk on the wild side.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:46 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Rather Ripped is good...i enjoyed a lot more...also Corporate Ghost is a great dvd.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:45 am 
Master of Meh

Quote:
Lee Ranaldo Talks Sonic Youth Archival Projects: Reissues and films in the works
By Jenn Pelly on October 12, 2012 at 01:30 p.m.

A refreshing thing about hearing Lee Ranaldo describe the saga surrounding Sonic Youth's two recently recovered guitars was his way of talking about the band in the present tense, while their future remains uncertain. "It's still very much the present tense," Ranaldo said. "A lot of stuff is going on at the studio all the time."

As reported earlier this summer, Sonic Youth are currently working through their massive archive of audio and video, digitizing tapes and organizing hours of footage. "A lot of these songs found their full character in the live setting," he said. "It's finally coming to the point where we're able to delve into it and get it together."

Sometime during the next year, the band plans to release a Year Punk Broke-esque film documenting a 1986 U.S. tour in support of EVOL. They'd just signed with SST and were playing venues like CBGB in NYC, the Roxy in L.A., and the Rat in Boston with bands like Dinosaur Jr. and Saccharine Trust. "We happened to have access to a very early 'portable' video system, like a suitcase over your shoulder and a giant camera," Ranaldo said with a laugh. "But we could take it on tour and record gigs and all the hijinks off-stage." A rough cut of the film was made in 1988, which includes live performances and interviews, but it's mostly "languished in that state since."

Sonic Youth recently announced an archival release, Smart Bar -- Chicago 1985, which will be released November 14 via Sonic Youth's own Goofin' Records. Ranaldo said it was recorded "to four-track cassette by some Midwesterners that followed us back then." Drumer Steve Shelley had just joined the band. "It was a pretty pivotal time in the band's history and happened to be a set where we were really ferocious," he said.

The band's previously reported Sister deluxe edition is being held up "mainly because we recently got back our entire back catalogue," he said, "all the pre-Geffen records, before Goo. Technically those records are all out of print right now, available only digitally. We're trying to figure out what to do-- some sort of back catalogue box, or re-releases of each record."

:nice:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:31 am 
The Maleficent
 WWW  Profile

Lee Ranaldo wrote:
A lot of these songs found their full character in the live setting

yep - should be cool hearing whatever they put out from these recordings

you are the human wyoming

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 753 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Other Bands