Board index » Word on the Street... » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2823 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138 ... 142  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Vinyl Thread - Where Every Day is RSD
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:31 pm 
Got Some
 WWW  Profile

verb_to_trust wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
A 2245 sold on ebay recently for $210 shipped.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-and-Cla ... 337d18e7e4

Yeah, I like the fact that this thing is local and I know what i'm getting, but they want a little too much for it. We cranked some weird rap beats album on it today so sound wise it would get loud enough. From what I understand the 2245 is a good model because it has a lot of the same components as the 2270 even though it is only 45 watts, and that helps it hold up better.

Sounds like a good deal. You won't be disappointed with 35-watts of Marantz power. For some reason those wattage ratings on vintage gear is actually louder than what they put on newer crap systems - something to do with sustain powered to the speaker(??). Anyways, it's an awesome receiver at a reasonable price. Make sure to test all the inputs if possible, and all the knobs to see if they are clean and functional. Some sort of return-policy would also be nice.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:01 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

rhcp- californication
peter buck- peter buck
deodato- prelude

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:24 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

I've come across some interesting free second hand equipment this week.

NAD 7140 receiver
Yahamha P-350 turntable

And a pair of HK20 speakers in good shape.

Both seem to in decent shape but are far from functional. Turntable's belt fell apart in my hand and the cut button seems to be stuck. It is equipped with a grado cartridge, and the dust cover is cracked. I plugged it in and adjusted the weight but couldn't get it to spin. Is it worth keeping and maybe bringing to a shop so see what they can do, ideally I'd like to spend no more than 100 bucks.

The NAD powers on just fine. But when I try and pick up an fm station its like I'm in a bunker. RIght next to it, I had a handheld battery powered sony radio that was picking up the NPR just fine. So, I don't know whats up with that. I'd like to keep it. Would Deoxit do the trick here? I never tried using that stuff before.

thanks. i'll probably go post this at AK, but wanted to post it here first.

http://stackpapersgetpaid.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:16 am 
Got Some

SuperNintendoChalmers wrote:

NAD 7140 receiver
Yahamha P-350 turntable

Both seem to in decent shape but are far from functional. Turntable's belt fell apart in my hand and the cut button seems to be stuck. It is equipped with a grado cartridge, and the dust cover is cracked. I plugged it in and adjusted the weight but couldn't get it to spin. Is it worth keeping and maybe bringing to a shop so see what they can do, ideally I'd like to spend no more than 100 bucks.

The NAD powers on just fine. But when I try and pick up an fm station its like I'm in a bunker. RIght next to it, I had a handheld battery powered sony radio that was picking up the NPR just fine. So, I don't know whats up with that. I'd like to keep it. Would Deoxit do the trick here? I never tried using that stuff before.

I don't know about the other stuff, but the NAD 7140 is considered a classic and would be worth investing some effort in if it's in decent shape.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:19 pm 
Red Mosquito, my libido

NAD 7140 receiver
Yahamha P-350 turntable

Um, did you try plugging an antenna in? Just a piece of copper wire will do.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:25 am 
Got Some

southp wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
A 2245 sold on ebay recently for $210 shipped.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-and-Cla ... 337d18e7e4

Yeah, I like the fact that this thing is local and I know what i'm getting, but they want a little too much for it. We cranked some weird rap beats album on it today so sound wise it would get loud enough. From what I understand the 2245 is a good model because it has a lot of the same components as the 2270 even though it is only 45 watts, and that helps it hold up better.

Sounds like a good deal. You won't be disappointed with 35-watts of Marantz power. For some reason those wattage ratings on vintage gear is actually louder than what they put on newer crap systems - something to do with sustain powered to the speaker(??). Anyways, it's an awesome receiver at a reasonable price. Make sure to test all the inputs if possible, and all the knobs to see if they are clean and functional. Some sort of return-policy would also be nice.

Probably gonna go check out that receiver again next week and buy it. I need to treat myself, its been a long month :)

This guy came in the mail today:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:50 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

cutuphalfdead wrote:

NAD 7140 receiver
Yahamha P-350 turntable

Um, did you try plugging an antenna in? Just a piece of copper wire will do.

Weirdest thing with the tuner. I put a coat hanger in one of the antenna inputs, the first of four plus a co ax in, at it worked like a charm. After about five minutes, I futzed with the hanger and lost all FM reception.

I went out and get a cheap dipole antenna and an adaptor so I could screw the antenna into the coax in. Nothing.

Seems strange. I'm running the iPod through it fine, but I'd love to be able to get FM again.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:08 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

AndySlash wrote:
supernintendochalmers, did you get a package from me? i see your pic but i can't make out anything i sent. just want to be sure you got it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:01 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Depends man, when did you send it? I haven't been out to check the packages since like the middle of October. I'd ask what was in it, but I do like the surprise. I was told a few more packages rolled in since then, but I doubt I'll be able to check on them anytime soon since Broad Channel was pretty much obliterated from Sandy. My family is fine, and the records are high and dry but I'm not sure when I'll be out there next. Thanks again for sending something though, means alot.

best,

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:23 am 
Stone's Bitch

My neighborhood record store is doing 10% off all vinyl (new and used) tomorrow if you wear your "I Voted" sticker to the store :thumbsup:

"The real truth about it is: no one gets it right / The real truth about it is: we’re all supposed to try"

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:41 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Depends man, when did you send it? I haven't been out to check the packages since like the middle of October. I'd ask what was in it, but I do like the surprise. I was told a few more packages rolled in since then, but I doubt I'll be able to check on them anytime soon since Broad Channel was pretty much obliterated from Sandy. My family is fine, and the records are high and dry but I'm not sure when I'll be out there next. Thanks again for sending something though, means alot.

best,

i was wondering about the hurricane. good to hear things are as well as can be given the circumstances.

i sent mine the day southp sent out a notice, so i'd imagine it would have to be in that pile; it was sent priority so i can't imagine it got there after the first week of october at the lastest. um, i know there was a new miles davis and nirvana's bleach records, and used bowie, stevie wonder, and zz top records. maybe 1-2 more i'm forgetting. i should have wrote them down!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:51 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

AndySlash wrote:

best,

i was wondering about the hurricane. good to hear things are as well as can be given the circumstances.

i sent mine the day southp sent out a notice, so i'd imagine it would have to be in that pile; it was sent priority so i can't imagine it got there after the first week of october at the lastest. um, i know there was a new miles davis and nirvana's bleach records, and used bowie, stevie wonder, and zz top records. maybe 1-2 more i'm forgetting. i should have wrote them down!

Yes! I did get that, thanks. I had a deluxe copy of the Bleach LP that got trashed, so its nice to get a replacement. Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:43 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

don't be. i just saw your picture and couldn't tell if anything i sent was in there and it made me nervous. glad it (and all of the others!) arrived.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:37 pm 
Got Some

So I now own a Marantz receiver, the long saga is now over. 2238b. It is paired with my Pro Ject Debut Carbon. I have some crappy speakers I have hooked up for now, but plan to upgrade. Guy at my local shop wanted to sell me some Venturis, but they were monsters. I think I need something more appropriate for the receiver that won't overwork it. Any suggestions?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:39 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Think it'd be pretty tough to overwork that 2238.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:47 pm 
Got Some

These Venturi speakers were gigantic though. Almost comical looking. I just want something appropriate enough to fill up the living room, maybe crank up once in a while.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:01 pm 
Got Some

I'm a huge fan of Paradigm. I have had a pair of Mini Monitors for about 10 years now and love them.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:36 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Yeah, I had a pair of Paradigm Titans I snagged off CL for about 200. They were great. Sad to see em go.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:30 am 
Got Some

MP3s and pirated music have basically ruined my relationship with music. In my quest for free, I have sacrificed quality and intimacy.
I inherited about 200 records from my father and I think I'll get out my turntable and listen to every fucking one.
I'm kinda drunk, but this makes sense to me.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:05 pm 
Stone's Bitch

turned2black wrote:
MP3s and pirated music have basically ruined my relationship with music. In my quest for free, I have sacrificed quality and intimacy.
I inherited about 200 records from my father and I think I'll get out my turntable and listen to every fucking one.
I'm kinda drunk, but this makes sense to me.

:thumbsup:

"The real truth about it is: no one gets it right / The real truth about it is: we’re all supposed to try"

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2823 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138 ... 142  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Other Bands