Board index » Word on the Street... » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2823 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139 ... 142  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Vinyl Thread - Where Every Day is RSD
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:38 pm 
Got Some
 WWW  Profile

Foo Fighters 1st album is up on amazon for $7.27. I don't know if it's a mistake, I had to double-check that it said "LP Record", but I bought it all the same:

http://www.amazon.ca/Foo-Fighters/dp/B0 ... 141&sr=8-1

While I was at it, I also got:

Neil Young - Living with War (In the Beginning)
Smashing Pumpkins - Pisces Iscariot
Beatles - Revolver (stereo remaster that comes out tomorrow)
Beatles - Past Masters (stereo remaster)

I'm tempted by more of the Beatles releases to replace some shitty copies i have, but decided I will wait for Mono versions of the early albums as they were meant to be heard.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:17 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Funny, I was just looking up that first Foos record on discogs the other day. They reissued it last year. Looks like thats the one on amazon. Good deal on a good record, if you don't mind a repress.

http://stackpapersgetpaid.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:21 pm 
Got Some
 WWW  Profile

SuperNintendoChalmers wrote:
Funny, I was just looking up that first Foos record on discogs the other day. They reissued it last year. Looks like thats the one on amazon. Good deal on a good record, if you don't mind a repress.

For $7 I couldn't refuse.
I just checked the link and it's sold-out. Maybe they fucked up.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:45 pm 
Stone's Bitch

Got Neil Young live from the Canterbury House for a good deal last week, arrived today!

"The real truth about it is: no one gets it right / The real truth about it is: we’re all supposed to try"

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:55 pm 
Got Some
 WWW  Profile

Simple Torture wrote:
Got Neil Young live from the Canterbury House for a good deal last week, arrived today!

The great thing about Neil Young vinyl, is that just when you think you're done collecting there are like another 27 records left to buy.

I've been considering completing the entire gap between Mirror Ball and Psychedelic Pill but it's a long and expensive endeavour. So far I have Living with War and Living with War: In the Beginning. That's a lot of collecting left to do and I don't think I'm ever going to find Broken Arrow or Greendale at a decent price.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:15 pm 
Stone's Bitch

Don't you think those are all going to be repressed at some point, though? It may take years, but in his recent Twitter Q+A, Neil said he's remastered everything. I know that "repress" can be a bad word to some people, but I have the most recent press of "Everybody Knows..." and it sounds amazing (the Performance Series stuff sounds just as good, too). I've basically gone into "no-buy" mode of Neil's stuff in case he re-releases anything else. I'm hoping for a new press of "On The Beach" soon!

"The real truth about it is: no one gets it right / The real truth about it is: we’re all supposed to try"

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:41 pm 
Got Some
 WWW  Profile

Simple Torture wrote:
Don't you think those are all going to be repressed at some point, though? It may take years, but in his recent Twitter Q+A, Neil said he's remastered everything. I know that "repress" can be a bad word to some people, but I have the most recent press of "Everybody Knows..." and it sounds amazing (the Performance Series stuff sounds just as good, too). I've basically gone into "no-buy" mode of Neil's stuff in case he re-releases anything else. I'm hoping for a new press of "On The Beach" soon!

I actually replaced my original pressing S/T and Harvest with the re-issues because they sounded so damn good. I don't care about reissues if they are done right.
It's a good point about waiting. For the stuff that can still be had at a decent price (Silver and Gold, Chrome Dreams, etc) I will start collecting where I can, but I'll probably hold-off on the stuff like Greendale.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:55 pm 
Got Some
 WWW  Profile

Nice little package arrived in the mail today so I ran home at lunch to spin some vinyl.
If anyone is on the fence about the Beatles remasters, I can attest to the quality. I listened to Revolver and it sounds great. Of course it's a digital remaster of an analog recording pressed to vinyl, but I've never been able to find a decent original pressing at a decent price so I'm very happy with this release.

I'm going to go through the rest of my Beatles collection (post-'67) to see if more of the stereo albums need to be replaced.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:33 am 
Johnny Guitar

Does anyone on the board own a non-bootleg pressing of Aenima? I've been looking for ages, but just got a wild hare last night to buy one, no matter the expense.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:14 am 
Stone's Bitch

andynomore wrote:
Does anyone on the board own a non-bootleg pressing of Aenima? I've been looking for ages, but just got a wild hare last night to buy one, no matter the expense.

Somewhere there's a Tool vinyl site that lists lots of details about the various legit and bootleg pressings to try and help people weed out the junk. I'll try to find it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:16 am 
Stone's Bitch

Simple Torture wrote:
andynomore wrote:

Somewhere there's a Tool vinyl site that lists lots of details about the various legit and bootleg pressings to try and help people weed out the junk. I'll try to find it.

Didn't take long!

http://toolvinyl.com/tool-vinyl-buyers-guide/

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:16 am 
Force of Nature

andynomore wrote:

:wave:

and it's fucking awesome. Mine was around $200 a few years ago, with both the record and packaging in VG condition. Their albums always sound great, but this slab is a cut above.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:51 am 
Got Some

So guys.... I've been assembling a simple vinyl listening setup over the last few months as some of you know. I recently bought a marantz 2235b receiver. Sounded great at the local shop. Got it hooked up to my table and some junk speakers (still saving up some cash there) and I noticed some really shit sound coming from the right side. I figured the old speaker I was using was the problem. I switched the speaker that sounded fine on the left to the right and noticed the same muddy warbling, ect.

I'm an idiot with this stuff. Is it safe to assume there is a problem with the receiver and need to take it back? Moving the balance knob all the way to the right isolates the sound. Its terrible.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:51 am 
Stone's Bitch

On my doorstep today:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:18 am 
Got Some

Finally hooked up my gf's Technics SL-Q3 turntable last night. Its hooked up to a Yamaha receiver and some junk speakers but sounds pretty good still. Can't wait to get some better speakers very shortly but what we have will do for now. Spun King Animal first as it was the first one I grabbed and it sounded great.

8/22/98,9/11/05,8/21/09,9/15/11

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:25 am 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

Did anyone grab anything from RSD? I wanted that Mad Season release, but my store only ordered 20. Instead, I picked up that Duquesne Whistle single, then went crazy taking advantage of Cactus's 2 for 1 deal in their 97 cent bin.

Titles purchased:

Neil Young and the Blue Notes-This Note's For You
Leon Russell-Carney
Arlo Guthrie-Hobo's Lullaby
ZZ Top-Tres Hombres
Roy Acuff-Night Train to Memphis
Mahalia Jackson-Live at Newport 1958
Michael Murphey-Flowing Free Forever

Also grabbed a few unknown K Records singles on sale in the 7" bins.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:30 am 
Fuck Sharks

I picked up the Lucero "Live at Sun Studios" 7"....and the new Gaslight Anthem album.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:32 am 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

I looked for that Lucero single. I don't think it had come in to my store yet.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:39 am 
Fuck Sharks

My local shop only got like 5 copies, but they held one back for me. I've hosted the last two Lucero release parties there, so they kind of hook me up sometimes.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:09 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

washing machine wrote:
Did anyone grab anything from RSD?

i was out of town from thursday morning so i didn't go. stopped over today to see what was left and walked away with

miles davis- sketches of spain mono (i didn't have this album at all so i figured why not)
reservoir dogs sdtk (got the blue vinyl)

also got

dethklok- dethalbum iii
harry nilsson- son of dracula

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2823 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139 ... 142  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Other Bands