Board index » Word on the Street... » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2823 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 142  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vinyl Lovers...What's Spinning on your TT?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:14 pm 
Got Some
 WWW  Profile

With that vintage Pioneer receiver that I picked up I've been running through some of the classics and it feels like I'm listening to them for the first time.

Last night:
Pink Floyd - DSOTM (the beginning of Breathe just melted right out of my speakers it was so smooth)
Zeppelin II - cranked of course. I've been off Zep for a long time, but the setup was just asking for it.

Next up some PJ and other modern analog recordings.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:43 pm 
Johnny Guitar
 WWW  Profile

1) Harold and Maude- soundtrack
2) Bruce Springsteen- Nebraska
3) Pink Floyd-Meddle
4) Neil Young-On the Beach (sooooo good on vinyl)
5) Pearl Jam- No Code (just great on vinyl as well)

Robert Zimmerman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:13 pm 
Force of Nature

southp wrote:
With that vintage Pioneer receiver that I picked up I've been running through some of the classics and it feels like I'm listening to them for the first time.

Last night:
Pink Floyd - DSOTM (the beginning of Breathe just melted right out of my speakers it was so smooth)
Zeppelin II - cranked of course. I've been off Zep for a long time, but the setup was just asking for it.

Excellent choices. Zeppelin IV is also fantastic on vinyl. As is King Crimson's first album, which sounds epic on a good setup.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:39 pm 
Got Some
 WWW  Profile

Johnny Carwash wrote:
southp wrote:

Last night:

Excellent choices. Zeppelin IV is also fantastic on vinyl. As is King Crimson's first album, which sounds epic on a good setup.

Do you guys buy into this 180gram vinyl craze? Is it truly any better or is it just less likely to bend out of shape? So here I am already with the complete Zeppelin catalog on vinyl in Fair-Good condition, but I'm actually tempted to replace some of them with teh 180g reissues. Any thoughts?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:42 pm 
Former PJ Drummer
 WWW  Profile

southp wrote:
Johnny Carwash wrote:
southp wrote:

Last night:

Do you guys buy into this 180gram vinyl craze? Is it truly any better or is it just less likely to bend out of shape? So here I am already with the complete Zeppelin catalog on vinyl in Fair-Good condition, but I'm actually tempted to replace some of them with the 180g reissues. Any thoughts?

i'm all about it if i don't already have something, but since i already have most of the Zep albums in pretty good condition, i don't see the point in buying all the reissues. I will say that the dark side of the moon 30th anniversary reissue sounds THICK AS FUCK though.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:07 pm 
Force of Nature

bondcfh007 wrote:
southp wrote:
Johnny Carwash wrote:
southp wrote:

Last night:

Do you guys buy into this 180gram vinyl craze? Is it truly any better or is it just less likely to bend out of shape? So here I am already with the complete Zeppelin catalog on vinyl in Fair-Good condition, but I'm actually tempted to replace some of them with the 180g reissues. Any thoughts?

i'm all about it if i don't already have something, but since i already have most of the Zep albums in pretty good condition, i don't see the point in buying all the reissues. I will say that the dark side of the moon 30th anniversary reissue sounds THICK AS FUCK though.

i agree with all of the above. plus, those zep reissues are pretty expensive. i don't think you'd be getting a very big upgrade in sound for $40+.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:13 pm 
Former PJ Drummer
 WWW  Profile

Johnny Carwash wrote:
bondcfh007 wrote:
southp wrote:
Johnny Carwash wrote:
southp wrote:

Last night:

i agree with all of the above. plus, those zep reissues are pretty expensive. i don't think you'd be getting a very big upgrade in sound for $40+.

yeah, it's hard to justify that much money for something i've already paid $5 for that sounds awesome already. I probably wore out my houses of the holy though

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:04 pm 
Force of Nature

bondcfh007 wrote:
Johnny Carwash wrote:
bondcfh007 wrote:
southp wrote:
Johnny Carwash wrote:
southp wrote:

Last night:

yeah, it's hard to justify that much money for something i've already paid $5 for that sounds awesome already. I probably wore out my houses of the holy though

i'm severely lacking HOTH for this exact reason, actually. i only have II, IV, and presence. but on the plus side, i didn't pay a dime for any of them.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:07 pm 
Former PJ Drummer
 WWW  Profile

Johnny Carwash wrote:
bondcfh007 wrote:
Johnny Carwash wrote:
bondcfh007 wrote:
southp wrote:
Johnny Carwash wrote:
southp wrote:

Last night:

i'm severely lacking HOTH for this exact reason, actually. i only have II, IV, and presence. but on the plus side, i didn't pay a dime for any of them.

i have i, ii, iv, hoth, and pg... i don't think paid more than $5 for any of them

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:34 am 
Got Some
 WWW  Profile

bondcfh007 wrote:
i have i, ii, iv, hoth, and pg... i don't think paid more than $5 for any of them

ditto.
Plus they pretty much give Coda and Presence away for free in most 2nd hand stores.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:19 pm 
Got Some
 WWW  Profile

Just came back from the local shop and managed to fill in some gaps in my collection for all of $55...

G'NR - Lies
Pink Floyd - The Wall
Travelling Wilburys - Vol I
Black Sabbath - I
The Stones - Some Girls
Depeche Mode - Music for the Masses
Depeche Mode - Some Great Reward

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:59 pm 
Got Some
 WWW  Profile

Other than aural exploits, what other good online stores do you guys use to buy vinyl? Anyone use these guys?...

http://www.acousticsounds.com

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:49 pm 
Unthought Known

Bob Dylan_Batch of Little White Wonder vol 1 and 2

and loads of 60s bluenotes..mostly Hank Mobley lately

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:31 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

southp wrote:
Other than aural exploits, what other good online stores do you guys use to buy vinyl? Anyone use these guys?...

http://www.acousticsounds.com

sometimes I'll find some good stuff on musicstack.com

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:28 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Neil Young - Harvest

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:27 pm 
Got Some
 WWW  Profile

Last night I was spinning some Depeche Mode - Songs of Faith and Devotion (180g reissue sounds fantastic!), Music for the Masses, and also a little Who's Next.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:18 pm 
Force of Nature

bondcfh007 wrote:
southp wrote:
Johnny Carwash wrote:
southp wrote:

Last night:

:thumbsup: the 30th anniv reissue is awesome. where the hell is WYWH??

spinning mmj evil urges with a dual cs5000

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:19 pm 
Force of Nature

and yes, the thicker vinyl does sound better.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:53 pm 
Got Some

thicker vinyl only sounds better if it is analog mastered and if you have a decent needle.

Otherwise, original releases are always better.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:53 pm 
Unthought Known

Time Fades Away 8)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2823 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 142  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Other Bands