Board index » Word on the Street... » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Favorite Song Ever.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:01 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

Also, I still stand by the original post. Amazing to think I actually found the 1.

Former PJ Drummer

AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

turned2black wrote:
washing machine wrote:
I sort of assumed that he'd have a definite song, not a list. And this song would be something I'd never heard, and I would subsequently have spent the next year expanding my collection based on that song and it's influences.

You think/thought way too much of me.
It's a chronological list (early days, teens, 20s and 30s) and most of the songs and bands represent a "jumping off point" of some sort.

You're my favorite poster since I started noticing withoutrings.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:05 pm 
Unthought Known

tongue my bunghole

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:06 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

62strat wrote:
Reids clandestine departures from RM and subsequent returns are nothing short of curious

Seriously, I want answers.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:07 pm 
Got Some

washing machine wrote:
turned2black wrote:
washing machine wrote:
I sort of assumed that he'd have a definite song, not a list. And this song would be something I'd never heard, and I would subsequently have spent the next year expanding my collection based on that song and it's influences.

You think/thought way too much of me.
It's a chronological list (early days, teens, 20s and 30s) and most of the songs and bands represent a "jumping off point" of some sort.

You're my favorite poster since I started noticing withoutrings.

I think withoutrings and I were Release buds at one time.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:17 am 
Unthought Known

A Day In the Motherfucking Life

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:44 am 
Red Mosquito, my libido

Rhapsody In Blue

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:50 am 
Unthought Known
 WWW  Profile

i can't think of just one absolute favorite.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:55 am 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

Probably something by Gentle Giant for you. Sort of what I was hoping for our friend '2black.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:08 am 
Unthought Known
 WWW  Profile

washing machine wrote:
Probably something by Gentle Giant for you. Sort of what I was hoping for our friend '2black.

oh, i like Gentle Giant a lot but doubt they have a song anywhere near my top ten. you see, i appreciate prog rock but i think, maybe out of ragged principles, that prog songs don't fare very well as songs - with a few notable exceptions. when i come across a good one, i enjoy the ride and where it takes me but it's mostly because the adventurous and expressive aspect of the music which often has the space to exist to the detriment of great lyrics. there's just no way you can manage to craft great lyrics when you have to deal with so many time signatures and mood changes and have to carry a concept behind it all. Pink Floyd (if you consider them prog) are a good example of how it can be done with taste because their songs are deceptively simple.

so i think i'm some kind of purist on acid when it comes to choosing a favorite song ever :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:10 am 
Got Some

washing machine wrote:

Wow! I feel like I have really disappointed you. Time to head to Release and take it out on our friend Gail.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:11 am 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

mastaflatch wrote:
washing machine wrote:

oh, i like Gentle Giant a lot but doubt they have a song anywhere near my top ten. you see, i appreciate prog rock but i think, maybe out of ragged principles, that prog songs don't fare very well as songs - with a few notable exceptions. when i come across a good one, i enjoy the ride and where it takes me but it's mostly because the adventurous and expressive aspect of the music which often has the space to exist to the detriment of great lyrics. there's just no way you can manage to craft great lyrics when you have to deal with so many time signatures and mood changes and have to carry a concept behind it all. Pink Floyd (if you consider them prog) are a good example of how it can be done with taste because their songs are deceptively simple.

That's pretty much exactly how I feel about Animal Collective.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:11 am 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

turned2black wrote:
washing machine wrote:

Wow! I feel like I have really disappointed you. Time to head to Release and take it out on our friend Gail.

You're a great guy/girl.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:13 am 
Unthought Known

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:18 am 
Unthought Known
 WWW  Profile

washing machine wrote:
mastaflatch wrote:
washing machine wrote:

i still have to dip my toe in their stuff so, are you saying you feel that they're unable or able to write great lyrics to their tunes?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:23 am 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

mastaflatch wrote:
washing machine wrote:
mastaflatch wrote:
washing machine wrote:

i still have to dip my toe in their stuff so, are you saying you feel that they're unable or able to write great lyrics to their tunes?

Yep.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:24 am 
Supersonic

probably closing time by semisonic

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:28 am 
Unthought Known
 WWW  Profile

washing machine wrote:
mastaflatch wrote:
washing machine wrote:
mastaflatch wrote:
washing machine wrote:

Yep.

oh.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:29 am 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

I didn't mean to be vague, I just didn't completely read your question. I don't think that the guys in Animal Collective are making music that needs good lyrics, is what I meant.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Other Bands