Board index » Word on the Street... » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 617 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 31  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Black Crowes-Before The Frost...Until The Freeze 8/31/09
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:40 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

fuckin great

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:48 pm 
Got Some

Before The Frost is fantastic - I love most of the material on this record. And again, the fact that they recorded it live is an amazing feat.

Until The Freeze is some of the worst shit I've ever heard...are they kidding? I guess the fact that they gave it away for nothing should have been the first clue it was gonna suck balls. I hope they do not play a single note of that drivel when I see them Friday.

On a different note, who other than Chris Robinson can get away with what he wore on Letterman - that's some awesome shit right there!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:49 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Has anyone bought the physical cd? Is the packaging worth getting? It's $15 in stores here and only $10 on iTunes. Is it worth the extra $5?

Last edited by tyler on Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:52 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

mtbhk44 wrote:
Before The Frost is fantastic - I love most of the material on this record. And again, the fact that they recorded it live is an amazing feat.

Until The Freeze is some of the worst shit I've ever heard...are they kidding? I guess the fact that they gave it away for nothing should have been the first clue it was gonna suck balls. I hope they do not play a single note of that drivel when I see them Friday.

On a different note, who other than Chris Robinson can get away with what he wore on Letterman - that's some awesome shit right there!

i enjoy untill the freeze for what it is....i feel like i could get drunk to it and have a good time around a campfire.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:42 pm 
Got Some
 WWW  Profile

Until The Freeze is fantastic. Aimless Peacock is such a great meandering aimless peacock of a song. Before The Frost is great but really it is just another Black Crowes record.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:45 pm 
Got Some
 WWW  Profile

mtbhk44 wrote:

The thing that disappointed me the first tie I saw The Black Crowes was how normal the attire of the average Black Crowes fan was.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:25 pm 
Force of Nature
 WWW  Profile

What a great fuckin' album. I wish it would have been released as a double though, still great.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:30 pm 
Unthought Known
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Got the vinyl yesterday, it's gorgeous and sounds great. This album is pretty country though...not that that's bad, just not what I was expecting at all.

I sent men to their doom

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:13 am 
Force of Nature

meatwad wrote:
Got the vinyl yesterday, it's gorgeous and sounds great. This album is pretty country though...not that that's bad, just not what I was expecting at all.

The vinyl tracklist is far and away the best listen, whether by each disc or the whole shebang.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:50 am 
Former PJ Drummer

Oh, Jimmy wrote:
meatwad wrote:

The vinyl tracklist is far and away the best listen, whether by each disc or the whole shebang.

whats different about the vinyl tracklist?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:57 am 
Got Some

62strat wrote:
Oh, Jimmy wrote:
meatwad wrote:

Side 1:
Aimless Peacock
Good Morning Captain
Been A Long Time
Greenhorn

Side 2:
Appaloosa
The Shady Grove
The Garden Gate
Shine Along
Roll Old Jeremiah
Houston Don't Dream

Side 3:
I Ain't Hiding
Kept My Soul
Lady Of Avenue A
Make Glad
And The Band Played On

Side 4:
What Is Home
So Many Times
A Train Still Makes A Lonely Sound
Fork In The River
The Last Place That Love Lives

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:37 am 
Former PJ Drummer

MattA751 wrote:
62strat wrote:
Oh, Jimmy wrote:
meatwad wrote:

Side 1:
Aimless Peacock
Good Morning Captain
Been A Long Time
Greenhorn

Side 2:
Appaloosa
The Shady Grove
The Garden Gate
Shine Along
Roll Old Jeremiah
Houston Don't Dream

Side 3:
I Ain't Hiding
Kept My Soul
Lady Of Avenue A
Make Glad
And The Band Played On

Side 4:
What Is Home
So Many Times
Fork In The River

interesting.

So how the fuck do they want me to hear this album? Should I rearrange it on my ipod to match up with that or what?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:26 pm 
Got Some

62strat wrote:
MattA751 wrote:
62strat wrote:
Oh, Jimmy wrote:
meatwad wrote:

Side 1:
Aimless Peacock
Good Morning Captain
Been A Long Time
Greenhorn

Side 2:
Appaloosa
The Shady Grove
The Garden Gate
Shine Along
Roll Old Jeremiah
Houston Don't Dream

Side 3:
I Ain't Hiding
Kept My Soul
Lady Of Avenue A
Make Glad
And The Band Played On

Side 4:
What Is Home
So Many Times
Fork In The River

interesting.

So how the fuck do they want me to hear this album? Should I rearrange it on my ipod to match up with that or what?

I don't know...some people on the Crowes boards have put together this tracklisting on disc and swear it flows well. I just listened to the UTF stuff for the first time this morning, and outside of Shady Grove and maybe Greenhorn, I don't think I'd want any of it mingled in with the BTF stuff...I mean, BTF is very much the Black Crowes today, while UTF feels like a bit of a thrown off country record, they don't really mesh well IMO

oh, and Aimless Peacock freaking sucks...they left off Little Lizzie Mae (haven't heard it, but it got some rave ass reviews) for that?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:31 pm 
Got Some

So all of the shit from Disk 2 is spread out amongst the good tracks from Disk 1 on the record? Well, that answers my question as to whether or not I should pick up this record.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:13 pm 
Got Some

So apparently, Chris did an interview with a Spanish music magazine for the album...this is what the magazine's website put up for a teaser

In the weeks before the publication of the new album from the Crowes, "Before the Frost ... Until the Freeze, JL Fernandez talked to Chris Robinson for a long hour on a thousand and one topics: Rick Rubin, for whom there is very kind words, Marc Ford, whom he calls a "coward and a liar," Robert Plant, Jellyfish, The Jayhwaks, REM, The Replacements, Black Flag ... One of the greatest interviews of the year, no doubt.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:42 pm 
Got Some

Ok, first bit (google translation, so there may be some mistakes, you know):

Q: A couple of years I could interview Marc Ford, just as he had just left the band for the second time. I thought he was pretty frustrated.

A: I do not talk much about the subject, but I will say that Marc is one of those people who only feel good when they fail, so that everyone comes to give pats on his back and may be the victim. Marc Ford is a coward and a liar, and hopefully he can find something in his life that has meaning for him. He´s not able to face the fact that his fame is due solely to that is "the guy who played with the Black Crowes". That makes him mad with jealousy, he is unable to accept it, but it's his problem. But as I said, I hope one day he can solve all the chaos that has at its head. Although ... I'm glad he didn´t! (laughs). Things happen for a reason, and thanks to Marc being an irresponsible, now in my band there is one of the best guitarists I have ever heard, and as you know, his name is Luther Dickinson.

Q: Supposedly the official reason for his departure was that being back on the road was making him taking drugs again

A: And it´s my fault? It is your decision, take them (drugs) or not. I also have taken drugs, and everyone in this band are in situations that may be out of hand in that regard, but we're not out there blaming the others. I hope Marc grows up and be happy.

Q: Marc told me he never felt a real member of The Black Crowes, but an employee of you and your brother.

A: And who cares how Marc Ford felt? Maybe he should go to a psychologist and resolve his traumas, we are talking about Rock N Roll. We offered to have him back to a tour with us which sold out every night in large halls. And what did Marc do? He goes home, and now he prefers to play blues in bars. He was not a member of the band? Well, is Rich and me who have written all the songs, and Marc did not write shit. He writes for his solo albums, albums that people buy because it is a former member of the Crowes. And believe me, I had to produce each of his solos on every album, and being behind him in the studio every second. To summarize: a man must be accountable for their actions. If you stop lying to your friends for a second time, assume your responsibility. Blame it on us is pathetic and childish.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:51 pm 
Got Some

Ho Momma! Take THAT Mark Ford!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:26 pm 
Unthought Known
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Interesting on the different tracklistings between the vinyl and the CDs. I downloaded the CD versions today to put them on my iPod...I'll listen to it both ways and decide which one I like better. Hopefully it's the vinyl version since I can't retrack my records. :o

I sent men to their doom

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:28 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

Sweetness wrote:
Looks like there could be a potential dvd release of this in the future according to their drummer Steve Gorman.

The second disc makes me want to plow a field and then put on my shit-kickers and head over to the local hoe down.

Where is this? Is this where they recorded it?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:31 pm 
Got Some

too bad it ended up like that. marc is a great lead guitarist. dickenson is ok, but feels too much like a studio player.

http://www.jason-stallings.com

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 617 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 31  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Other Bands