Board index » Word on the Street... » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2248 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113  Next
 Post subject: Re: Soundgarden | King Animal
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:49 pm 
statistically insignificant

stip wrote:
thodoks wrote:
stip wrote:
...when you hear (a) song you have a grasp of where it is supposed to take you, and failing to do so is a black mark against (that) song.

i edited this a bit because i have a feeling this sentiment applies generally (apologies if i'm wrong), but man, i just couldn't agree less with this.

Noted.

is everything...okay? you seem very agitated of late.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:52 pm 
Got Some

62strat wrote:
Soundgarden kind of suck live though.....

Up until mid-1994 they were amazing live. Then Chris started drinking on stage, they stopped practicing as much and became very hit-and-miss. There are some amazing shows from 1994-1997 but there are some real stinkers too.

Since the reunion, particularly since about midway through 2011, they've been better than ever live. The show I saw last year was ridiculously good. Their shows from last month were all outstanding.

Also: A Thousand Days Before>Blood on the Valley Floor>Bones of Birds is ridiculously awesome.

Pearl Jam shows:
Champaign 4/23/2003
Chicago 6/18/2003
St. Louis 10/05/2004
Portland 7/20/2006
Gorge 7/22/2006
Ridgefield 9/26/2009
Philadelphia 10/31/2009

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:28 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

matt reeder wrote:
62strat wrote:
Soundgarden kind of suck live though.....

Up until mid-1994 they were amazing live. Then Chris started drinking on stage, they stopped practicing as much and became very hit-and-miss. There are some amazing shows from 1994-1997 but there are some real stinkers too.

Since the reunion, particularly since about midway through 2011, they've been better than ever live. The show I saw last year was ridiculously good. Their shows from last month were all outstanding.

Also: A Thousand Days Before>Blood on the Valley Floor>Bones of Birds is ridiculously awesome.

Agree...there are some 1990-91 shows that are insane.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:38 pm 
Force of Nature

For those of you who say that Chris' voice or style doesn't evoke any kind of emotional response from you, was this the same with Temple of the Dog as well? I'm really just curious.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:33 pm 
Unthought Known

Are we still listening to this guys?

"Remember back the early days when you were young and thus amazed."

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:35 pm 
Got Some

Riot Actor 25 wrote:
Are we still listening to this guys?

No.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:36 pm 
Got Some

Surprisingly, yes, almost every day commuting in my car.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:11 pm 
$5 Donation Gets Custom Title

ejny wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:32 pm 
Force of Nature

ejny wrote:

DOTUS for my drive in and King Animal on my drive home damn near every day for the past month (or whenever KA came out).

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:28 pm 
Winner: 2007+2009 Other Bands Cover Contest

HardTI wrote:
For those of you who say that Chris' voice or style doesn't evoke any kind of emotional response from you, was this the same with Temple of the Dog as well? I'm really just curious.

No he didn't earn the screams on that album and while I'm not saying he was only pretending to be sad that Andy Wood died I'm not entirely convinced either. There is a difference.

Edit: Stip don't be mad I was cracking myself up as I typed this.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:32 pm 
$5 Donation Gets Custom Title

HardTI wrote:
DOTUS

*DOTU

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:15 am 
Global Moderator

HardTI wrote:

pretty much.

The perfect gift for certain occasions

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:03 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

I can identify with some of what you're saying, Stip. I've found Cornell's voice emotionally engaging in the past--particularly on "Down on the Upside," "Euphoria Morning," and various other stray tracks he's dropped along the way--but too many times I find myself feeling like his voice is ultimately, as Robert Christgau once wrote about Axl Rose, a power tool with attachments. Sometimes it works to tremendous effect, but if you look for something different as a listener, I can understand why a lot of Soundgarden's stuff would leave you cold. Despite the flippant response to it, I don't think your "digital effects" comment was too far off--I knew what you meant. Their best stuff is viscerally and intellectually gripping, but it all seems to exist within this vague sci-fi/fantasy realm that can feel a bit impenetrable--which is fine and sometimes even a strength, but it does put that much more pressure on the compositions, which sometimes are up to the task and sometimes aren't.

The more I listen to Soundgarden the more I realize what a weird relationship I have with their music. I grew up with "Superunknown" and "Down On the Upside" and for years identified them as being among the definitive records in my life, and by extension, Soundgarden as being among the definitive bands. Then, years later, I investigated their back catalog only to discover that almost all of it was specifically not to my taste. So here's this band, this voice, which was so formidable in helping shape my listening habits and which I by extension have a kind of deep-rooted attachment to, but in the end I really just don't care for very much of the music they've released. (I'm really not trying to be combative here, I'm just making an observation.)

I think "King Animal" is a solid album that was just the wrong record at the wrong time for me. I haven't really felt compelled to play it since the original stream (though I'm listening to it now, and it does sound good)--it's just not the sort of thing I've been in the mood to listen to lately.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:01 pm 
The Snowboy

Kevin Davis wrote:
I can identify with some of what you're saying, Stip. I've found Cornell's voice emotionally engaging in the past--particularly on "Down on the Upside," "Euphoria Morning," and various other stray tracks he's dropped along the way--but too many times I find myself feeling like his voice is ultimately, as Robert Christgau once wrote about Axl Rose, a power tool with attachments. Sometimes it works to tremendous effect, but if you look for something different as a listener, I can understand why a lot of Soundgarden's stuff would leave you cold. Despite the flippant response to it, I don't think your "digital effects" comment was too far off--I knew what you meant. Their best stuff is viscerally and intellectually gripping, but it all seems to exist within this vague sci-fi/fantasy realm that can feel a bit impenetrable--which is fine and sometimes even a strength, but it does put that much more pressure on the compositions, which sometimes are up to the task and sometimes aren't.

The more I listen to Soundgarden the more I realize what a weird relationship I have with their music. I grew up with "Superunknown" and "Down On the Upside" and for years identified them as being among the definitive records in my life, and by extension, Soundgarden as being among the definitive bands. Then, years later, I investigated their back catalog only to discover that almost all of it was specifically not to my taste. So here's this band, this voice, which was so formidable in helping shape my listening habits and which I by extension have a kind of deep-rooted attachment to, but in the end I really just don't care for very much of the music they've released. (I'm really not trying to be combative here, I'm just making an observation.)

I think "King Animal" is a solid album that was just the wrong record at the wrong time for me. I haven't really felt compelled to play it since the original stream (though I'm listening to it now, and it does sound good)--it's just not the sort of thing I've been in the mood to listen to lately.

I totally relate to all of the bolded here. Which is why this album is so high up in my estimation; basically, it only needed to compete with Superunknown and DOTU, which it does, quite comfortably. I'm not as much into the melodramatic, metallic side of Soundgarden. You also make an interesting point about the fantasy / theatrical aspect to their music; I can see that, which is why I don't 'buy' their most extravagant early stuff, and why Chris' voice didn't really inspire 'emotion' in me. In the light of that, maybe King Animal is the most personal and down-to-earth record Soundgarden have written, which would account for its difference in tone to the rest of their catalogue.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:47 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Listened all day long , this record is amazing.
its up there with their best work.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:57 pm 
The Snowboy

The only song I would describe as 'amazing' is A Thousand Days Before. That thing gives me a euphoric feeling hard to describe (an eargasm?). But the rest is good enough to very good indeed.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:47 pm 
Force of Nature
 WWW  Profile

Guys, Badmotorfinger is just as good as DOTUS and Superunknown.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:49 pm 
The Snowboy

Objectively maybe, but I wasn't 'there' at the time, caught on to Soundgarden later, so I don't have the attachment to it others do. Which gives a bit of distance, makes it easier to judge King Animal, seemingly.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:23 pm 
Force of Nature

J's Brain wrote:
Guys, Badmotorfinger is just as good as DOTUS and Superunknown.

:shock: I thought Badmotorfinger was universally hailed as their masterpiece.

Harmless wrote:
the rest is good enough

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:08 pm 
Ghostasauros

badabing wrote:
PHATJ wrote:
badabing wrote:
Those rankings are pretty good. Mine might be a little different but not by much.

Where do you differ?

I would swap eyelid with rowing and give eyelid the same score as the two songs after it. That's it.

:thumbsup: Damn! We are close. I like the cut of your jib.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2248 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Other Bands