Board index » Word on the Street... » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 478 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 24  Next
 Post subject: gearhead thread
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:52 pm 
Former PJ Drummer
 WWW  Profile

I'm not really a gear head, but I do like knowing what makes sounds i listen to. Anyway, I've been looking at St Vincents Pedal Board:

I'm really digging her sounds. Particularly how fuzzed and shaky her guitar sounds are. It makes me want those Moogfooger pedals. She really gets me excited for guitar sounds which I've had little interest in lately.

Last edited by windedsailor on Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: "gearhead" thread
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:16 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

i'm a pretty big gear nerd. i'm always obsessing over what people are using.

and here's my setup, because nobody asked...

pedalboard

rig 1

rig 2 (same head as rig 1 obv, i cart that around to different practice spaces. the guitar also has EMG's in it now :bammer:)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:01 am 
Former PJ Drummer
 WWW  Profile

nice you got the whammy like st vincent. What's the tie dye looking one?

Right now my rig is one of these:

It's great for recording, because I can record tracks clean and alter the sound afterward using POD farm.

I'm in the process of syncing this

with it so I can control all the parameters via midi and foot pedal, which will be rad.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:51 am 
Former PJ Drummer

I have an EPS16+, an ancient sampler that serves as a pretty nice synth as well. Very buggy, but it sounds better than any other sampler.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:30 am 
Unthought Known
 WWW  Profile

i'm not so much of a gearhead but i know what i like.
:luv:

this too:

and of course,
Spoiler: show

i plan on buying a Big Muff sometime soon and maybe a Roland Jazz Chorus amp by the end of the summer.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:30 am 
Former PJ Drummer
 WWW  Profile

tell me about space echo masta

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:56 am 
Unthought Known
 WWW  Profile

windedsailor wrote:
tell me about space echo masta

well, i'm really bad at this...it is a tape echo; a very long strip of tape runs under a plastic plaque and goes through several playback heads (i think there's five of them) and you can vary the speed of it, the release (intensity) of the echo and adjust the treble and the bass of the effect (say, if you crank up the bass, you will only hear the low-end echoed). it's a really great device - you can get very spacey, psychedelic effects from it or just a warm, nasty slap. a kid sold it to me for 20$ 8)
having said that, Wikipedia might be more eloquent than i am:
Quote:
The Roland RE-201, commonly known as the Space Echo, is an audio analog delay effects unit.

A tape echo device records incoming audio to a loop of magnetic tape, then replays the audio over a series of several playback heads before it is erased again by new incoming audio. The tape used in the RE-201 is the standard 1/4" tape of the open-reel variety, but made as one, continuous loop. In the Roland 'RE' range there are no reels of any kind, the tape is transported via a capstan drive. The tape loop is contained in a loose, constantly moving jumble in the tape chamber (also known as the tape tank) under a plastic panel which protects the tape and keeps it from getting tangled. The replacement tapes were known as Roland RT-1L replacement tape loops and sold by Roland.[1]

There are several control dials on the device that alter such aspects as tape speed, repeat pattern (an 11-position rotary switch), one instrument and two microphone inputs, a single analog backlit VU meter for all three inputs, wet/dry mix for both echo and reverb, and intensity (number of repeats, in a sense; it actually reduces how much the erase/record head erases the tape), that can be adjusted to a user's liking; and bass/treble controls to EQ the sound of the repeats (not the dry signal), as well as dry and effected "Echo" output jacks with a switch for output setting (-10, -20, -35db levels.)

Used as a delay/echo, the Roland RE-201 is said to produce an unpredictable delay that is warm and gritty sounding. It is also capable of producing a large variety of its own sound effects, even without an input signal (by turning the intensity control to maximum and allowing the unit to self-regenerate, or self-oscillate, while manipulating the tape speed and other controls).

Despite its age, the Roland RE-201 is widely sought after, and still used by many bands to this day, notably in the experimental work of Radiohead, and the rockabilly stylings of Brian Setzer, the latter using one recently to get the slapback sound sought after for rockabilly and such styles of music. The Roland RE-201 is also extensively used in modern electronic music.[2]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:01 am 
Unthought Known
 WWW  Profile

the different echo patterns run from basic repeats to more complex patterns. i recorded the bridge in (our song) Stethoscope on one of the weirder channels and although it could have been more to the forefront, it still gives an interresting, electric effect.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:10 am 
Former PJ Drummer
 WWW  Profile

you got it for 20 dollars? people seem to buy it online for 600$. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:17 am 
Unthought Known
 WWW  Profile

the only issue i have with it is that it generates some white noise. maybe i should try a deep clean-up because the playback heads and the tape are relatively clean.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:38 am 
Unthought Known

Sweet. I was thinking a couple weeks ago how I wished there was a thread like this. :nice:

"Remember back the early days when you were young and thus amazed."

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:09 am 
Unthought Known
 WWW  Profile

i want Danny to describe his fucked-up synth again.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:05 am 
Master of Meh

My main guitar's a Fender Tele made of a bunch of different parts: black American body, Japanese neck w/ rosewood fretboard, black pickguard, Custom Shop Texas Special pickups and a Bigsby trem.

Marshall 1962 Bluesbreaker amp, which is fucking gorgeous (and by a large margin the most expensive musical item I've ever bought).

As for effects, the mainstays are a Vox Wah, ProCo TurboRAT, MXR Phase 90, Boss DD-5 digital delay...and a bunch of other stuff that comes and goes. Really want to add a bitey fuzz and an analog delay in there, just have to find the right ones.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:32 am 
Got Some

mastaflatch wrote:
There are several control dials on the device that alter such aspects as tape speed, repeat pattern (an 11-position rotary switch), one instrument and two microphone inputs, a single analog backlit VU meter for all three inputs, wet/dry mix for both echo and reverb, and intensity (number of repeats, in a sense; it actually reduces how much the erase/record head erases the tape), that can be adjusted to a user's liking; and bass/treble controls to EQ the sound of the repeats (not the dry signal), as well as dry and effected "Echo" output jacks with a switch for output setting (-10, -20, -35db levels.)

Doesn't the tape get worn out really fast? I've always wondered about that. I've recorded with analog tape before and that shit starts to get thin after you play it a bunch of times. There's a story historians like to tell about the oxide wearing off the "Bohemian Rhapsody" multi-track. Doesn't that apply to keyboards and echo units that use tape loops?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:19 am 
Former PJ Drummer

windedsailor wrote:
What's the tie dye looking one?

It's a feedback looper kit that a i built from this company. It's like the Audible Disease Rupture but without the photosensitive eye. For about a year or two i got into building and modding pedals, but it turns out i'm not very good at it so i haven't been doing much lately. I've got a $150 partially working flanger that will attest to that :lol: :oops:

This one's just a plain old bypass looper. Another kit from the same company.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:34 pm 
Former PJ Drummer
 WWW  Profile

i like those loopers. i want some

mastaflatch wrote:
i want Danny to describe his fucked-up synth again.

it was just a square wave oscillator without much filtering in Native Instruments Massive software synth

see

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:38 am 
Unthought Known

mastaflatch wrote:

Wasn't this what Ed O'Brien was using at the end of Karma Police? I know he ended up using the Line 6 DL4 for that part. Maybe it was Jonny that had the Space Echo, but there's a patch on that Line 6 delay everyone uses that has a sound modeled off the Space Echo.

"Remember back the early days when you were young and thus amazed."

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:46 pm 
Got Some

my guitars :
As for effects, a dunlop cry baby wah, a boss ch2 chorus and a boss BF2 flanger and that's it. I'll post pics of my amp and of the whole set next week, I'm doing a concert for the summer/end of term party at work.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:17 pm 
Former PJ Drummer
 WWW  Profile

Riot Actor 25 wrote:
mastaflatch wrote:

Wasn't this what Ed O'Brien was using at the end of Karma Police? I know he ended up using the Line 6 DL4 for that part. Maybe it was Jonny that had the Space Echo, but there's a patch on that Line 6 delay everyone uses that has a sound modeled off the Space Echo.

Yeah, I have the Line 6 POD xt PRo and it has a delay modeled after it. It's really a devastatingly good investment considering the range of sounds you get good quality.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:20 pm 
Supersonic

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 478 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 24  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Other Bands