Board index » Word on the Street... » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 478 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: gearhead thread
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:12 pm 
Unthought Known

Yeah, you can record that way. Are you doing a full band thing or just wanting to record demos of guitar and vocals? Tascam's a solid company, and the DP-03 which I believe is the newer model has CD burning capability, so you can record, add FX to the tracks, and then mix it down to CD. Those Tascams have onboard analog knobs on the top for EQ, so you can easily dial in the sounds you want for each mix, and basically what you do is record a few tracks, and then bounce them down to 2 tracks to free up more space and add more parts. So, say you record on tracks 3 through 8 leaving the first two tracks open. You'd record on each track, set the levels, and then record/bounce all of those 6 parts down to the first two tracks thereby freeing up tracks 3 through 8 again to thereby add more parts. Its just layering. Normally what you'd do is connect a USB from a device like the 8-track to a computer and import the wav. files into your computer and put them into online software to further edit and tweak, but since you can burn CDs with specific models of portable recorders, you don't even need to do that and you can create something to pass around to friends or other musicians as a decent example of your work.

It all depends on what kind of setup you've got. If you've got drums, bass, and guitar, you could probably record drums on 5 tracks, guitar and bass on individual tracks, and then leave a track for vocals. Or you could seriously mic up a full kit with 8, 9, or 10 mics using a mixing console, and then just connect the mixing console in stereo to a track on your recorder and have 7 open tracks to add guitars, basses, vocals, and other instrumentation.

Put it this way: the Beatles made Sgt. Pepper on two 4-track recorders without Pro Tools. You don't need an elaborate setup to create something cool anymore.

"Remember back the early days when you were young and thus amazed."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:42 am 
Got Some
 WWW  Profile

I think my intent is to get to a place where I could conceivably create something releasable (or at least be able to contribute in some meaningful way with production beyond the basics in the studio), but I'm kind of at the beginning of that road, and I imagine it's going to take a while. It's mainly to build demos of my songs; I'm also considering tracking guitar and vocals myself and then bringing them to a better studio should the need arise.

For me, Garageband works like what people say when they read on the Internet; they glaze over, they don't retain the knowledge in the way they might by reading a book. It seems to be that way with me; with the very limited experience I have, I just seem to work better with the knobs and such. So my plan is to buy a mixer (if necessary), an 8 track, two good mics for guitar and/or amp and vocals, and get started.

Last edited by digster on Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:10 am 
Unthought Known

Well pretty much any knowledge I've acquired has come from scouring articles and videos online. Type your question/phrase into Google and tons of responses come back. Mixing, mic techniques, gear used, how-to videos for software. Its all there and when it comes to making music, there are no right or wrong answers. There's the tried and true and things that work for everyone which people like the sound of, but experimentation and using shit incorrectly is the best way to create new and unusual sounds.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:51 am 
Former PJ Drummer

i bought a line6 pod HD 300, which comes as a surprise to me since i never considered myself much of a fan of line6's products and now i own two of them. found this one used and cheap. i plan to use it mostly for direct input recording, but it would also work as a backup for my pedalboard in FX only mode.

i only had a short while to play with it and i spent most of the time getting it set up to work in my DAW but it seems like there should be a lot of good sounds to play with. the presets suck but that's to be expected with the presets on any modeller. i see a lot of tweaking in my near future.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:40 am 
Unthought Known

Awesome.

Yeah, the digital modelling is kind of crappy (Its better than most of the others like Boss or Vox) when you're a true analog fan, but you do get some cool FX -- over 100 different sounds. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:09 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

Riot Actor 25 wrote:
Awesome.

Yeah, the digital modelling is kind of crappy (Its better than most of the others like Boss or Vox) when you're a true analog fan, but you do get some cool FX -- over 100 different sounds. :thumbsup:

i spent a few hours last night and managed to dial in a few decent heavy guitar tones. definitely not as good as analog but it's good enough to play around with at home. i think the modelling in Guitar Rig is probably the most natural i've heard.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:12 pm 
Unthought Known

MF wrote:
Riot Actor 25 wrote:
Awesome.

i spent a few hours last night and managed to dial in a few decent heavy guitar tones. definitely not as good as analog but it's good enough to play around with at home. i think the modelling in Guitar Rig is probably the most natural i've heard.

I'm guessing what you have as a board is better than a lot of what else is out on the market. When Line6 first came around, everyone was always like "just get a POD." There's something I see in magazines called a Fractal system that's supposedly really top notch, although I've never seen one first hand or tried one out, but those are like arm and a leg prices.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:43 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

Riot Actor 25 wrote:
MF wrote:
Riot Actor 25 wrote:
Awesome.

I'm guessing what you have as a board is better than a lot of what else is out on the market. When Line6 first came around, everyone was always like "just get a POD." There's something I see in magazines called a Fractal system that's supposedly really top notch, although I've never seen one first hand or tried one out, but those are like arm and a leg prices.

that would be the Axe FX. $2500 is a lot to spend on a single piece of gear, espeically just a rack unit that doesn't do anything on it's own without a quality PA or amp to run it through. but i've heard it's supposed to be excellent. a lot of metal guys use it, live and in studio.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 7:32 pm 
Unthought Known

Brad's gear from their DC gig at Red Palace. Stone's Cage amp and matching cab were rented in DC, but I didn't ask if that was the case with all the gear for the tour. The Fender was played by Happy Chichester, the opening musician who's sitting in on the last east coast gigs.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 8:24 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

Awesome gear. I am glad that is not your gear due to complete jealousy.

How was the show?

Recorded another song. i know nothing of mixing or any of that shit. My attempt at cheesy cuteness song

http://soundcloud.com/bdahlen21/nothing-left-to-do

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 9:39 pm 
Unthought Known

62strat wrote:
Awesome gear. I am glad that is not your gear due to complete jealousy.

How was the show?

Recorded another song. i know nothing of mixing or any of that shit. My attempt at cheesy cuteness song

http://soundcloud.com/bdahlen21/nothing-left-to-do

Yeah, I wish I had Ampeg, DW, and boutique amps. The gig was really good. I'd seen them twice before in a bigger room so with this being so small it was really intimate with great sound. And they had a second guitarist and Stone was in a good mood. I put up a few pictures in the Brad thread.

That song's cool. Is it you singing? Better than I could ever do. I'm currently trying to relearn a dozen of my old tracks to re-record them again with bass, leads, and better drumming to eventually find a singer to finish this neverending recording project. Its hard when its just one musician as opposed to a group of people with a bunch of different ideas, haha.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 9:51 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

yea that is me singing. I am by no means a singer either but i get some sort of sick pleasure out of doing it! Since I dont have a band and writing guitar riffs is kind of boring alone at this point - I am attempting to write simple songs. But I am also not a songwriter.

Good times though.

Also did this one recently. i get a kick out of it:

http://soundcloud.com/bdahlen21/kiss-the-girl

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 1:39 am 
Jim's Pal

A few months ago I upgraded from my very first guitar and bought this....

Epiphone Custom Shop 1966 SG reissue... basically a G400 with a few different bits.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 3:03 am 
Unthought Known

Cool SG! 8)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:32 am 
Former PJ Drummer

I love this song so much. Saw bon iver last night and all i wanted to do all day today was play the song over and over and over again. Decided to lay down some of the music. I enjoy. I just love the melody. Simple and so beautiful.

http://soundcloud.com/bdahlen21/re-stacks

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:35 am 
Unthought Known

Couple things for the birthday. The first is a Yamaha Guitalele. Its a uke with six strings tuned like a regular guitar with a capo at the 5th fret. So you can play it like a regular guitar but still get a ukulele sound. I've been playing Thumbing My Way and Immortality and other simple things. Its fun to hear those chord changes with that sound. And then the other thing is a simple Big Muff, but its got the tone options that allow you to cut and boost certain frequencies to give you a little bit more range.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:48 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

How you liking that fuzz? Im really in the mood for a good fuzz.....I also kind of want to sell my SG.....

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:23 pm 
Unthought Known

62strat wrote:
How you liking that fuzz? Im really in the mood for a good fuzz.....I also kind of want to sell my SG.....

Sorry about the delayed post. When I initially plugged in the Muff, it sounded like crap, so I thought it was the second bum EHX pedal I'd purchased. Turns out it just needed a new battery. The brand new one that came with it was crap. So it works fine. Running it on its own in between the guitar and the input on my amp, it gives you some nice sounds on the clean channel, and the Tone Wicker gives you a little boost if wanted. You use it on a distorted channel and its just an avalanche of fuzz and feedback. Really neat when used appropriately.

Don't sell your SG. First your Fender amp, now your SG? Say it ain't so.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:56 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

ordered a few cheap Chinese pedals this week. lots of companies hitting the market this year with knockoffs and originals.

Mooer Shimverb. Seems to be a unique circuit, not a direct clone of anything.

Joyo Classic Flanger (MXR 117 clone) and Tremolo (Diaz Tremodillo or Boss TR2 clone). Cheaper than a Danelectro pos at $35 each and in a diecast housing to boot. Probably a lawsuit waiting to happen :lol: .

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:13 pm 
Unthought Known

Very interesting. How's that flanger sound?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 478 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Other Bands