Board index » Word on the Street... » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 215 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Smashing Pumpkins - Oceania - June 19, 2012
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:55 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

stip wrote:
I haven't heard any teargarden stuff

keep it that way

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:13 pm 
Reissued
 WWW  Profile

I am so glad I came into this thread. Those Corgan quotes on standing in the power of his musical light are brilliant.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:13 pm 
Force of Nature
 WWW  Profile

The Chimera is an awesome track. I love the guitar solo/outro.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:45 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

the whole record is amazing.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:42 pm 
$5 Donation Gets Custom Title

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:38 pm 
Force of Nature
 WWW  Profile

VinylGuy wrote:
the whole record is amazing.

I agree. Pale Horse isn't so great but I love the rest of the album.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:46 pm 
Supersonic

I didn't think he had it in him, but yeah.

Enjoying new Corgan is a strange feeling, but I'm all about it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:08 pm 
Got Some
 YIM  Profile

Horray! I have purchased my new Oceania (last week, and now popped it into my Wal Mart silver and blue speaker covered CD player sound box!)
(ride on! lets ride on! ride on!- get ready for this adventure he forwarns excitely)
The record starts with Billy questioning free will and religion in the rocker Quasar, a tightly woven fireball of hautingly eastern sounding distortions that quickly throws you back into your seat as the Outer Limits Flight of Fear Roller Coaster Blasts off into the darkness! Moster opening track with distortions of a guitrar that sounds if it was running its cables thru the great pyramid giving it a hint of a eastern sounding tone. A promising opener that Billy has his energies at full on this one once again! Not to mention the Chamerberlin like drums on this one.
A strong gruff riff chugs along repeatdly through the opening lyrics of the mid-uptempo Panopticon like someone trying to put a smiling face and looking forward to life while pushing ones pains behind him, trying to break his addiction to the chemical changes that are called love. Enjoyable, somewhat thought provoking, but a little pretentious as is Mr. Corgan always, at least when he is at his best anyway! On to the strings/ synthazisers/ adding to the ever present cruchy whiny guitar riffs and popping snares.

AS a soft carefully crafted tune "The Celestials" is Billy's first single with this with new bunch of pumpkin patch kids, and its enjoyable enough. It should be a mess with all going on here but the soft undercurrents of this song hold it together- oh and "everything I want is free" btw. says Corgan as the last line fades. Generic at worst, and enjoyable at best.
Now with the pop song out of the way where do we go, up into the sky as a synth keyboard opens like apoclypse now by muse, just not so mighty. Violet Rays is roomy for sure, but just prods along back and forth with the guitar synth guitar formula that really felt undone to me.the buld goes no where. (Hope thats not a hint of this new patch of pumkins). Eh on to my Love is winter- where billy sings over and over there is love enough for both of us. A mid tempo rocker thats boring.

Ok well that leads into the heavy synthiszied opening of "one diamond, one heart". This one slower than the one before. For about 4 mins he pledges his allegiance to one he really likes. Reminds me of something off that Depeche Mode sounding solo record he made in the mid 00s. this Track could also fit on a midi file without lyrics and be nice background music to the super nintendo game Top Gear when racing in Japan. Has the feel of that brown and tan pumpkins record you know thier "last one". The weakest one on the record to this point (and will be in the end as well).

The keyboard and pianos spin for "Pinwheels" next as it opens with them complimenting each other till corgan strums an acoustic guitar a few times, then a few more, then a few more. Finally he just starts his version of a killers song. It all stops cept as corgan whines "Mother Moon! I got you!...." and back to strumming his acoustic....til the whole thing burst open like a dam flooding the valley in the on a summer night and 1000 lighting bugs fly up to the open sky. Comparing the on going love relationship to that of the sun and moon and selfishly proclaming "You dont deserve me, but i deserve you" made me smile. Fucking prick. I love Corgans modesty. Nice one. Leading perfectly into another spacy one ....the title track

"Oceania" "I'm so alone, so alone" ( I heard this lyric before in a song called GLOW i think, and anout 20 x before that) Says Corgan but hes happy about this now. Again hes coming to grips with the ending of the relationship with the female subject. It speaks of dreams, feels dreamy and sad. And while it sounds awful, its not. Its a nice song, lyrically its a Corgan masterpiece. I dont feel like typing every word. But Oceania is well crafted. And as we get into this part of the record the chugging meandering songs of previous 4-5 now seem to make more sense in the story that is being told in this record. Oceania is the heart of this record. Literally, musically, and emotionally. Its an excellent song. "My mistake as the last remaining soldier Was to take the place of you..." With a multi layered structure, and with many different parts ending with an upbeat yet sad solo at the end....Lovely. Physcadellic synt alt rock- with a Fender. Great track for listening out by the resovoir at 11 pm at night on a towel alone.

"Pale Horse" A slow one, a Billy contemplates what just happens, again. now he wants his pale horse back. Refelctive, thought provoking, a nice follow up to the adventure he's just endured. A ballad in the style of 33.

"The Chimera" puts the album back into the rock road as we've left the sidestreets thru the park. ON the strightaway he steps on the accellrator - Speed increasing as we go down the state road til his hits cruise at 45 mph this mid tempo one feels heavier and faster than it is because of its placement.

Glissandra, Inkless, and Wildflower are the last 3 tracks on the record
Glissandra is a upbeat midtempo light weight piece, showing the speakers uncertainties, sadness and pains in vivid imagery along the way. La La La La! Says the bald headed pumpkin. As he seems to be faking upbeat happiness of the music, as he then sings "Flicks on tender wrists, abuse the modern mind, Crush on what you'll find" La La La LA!

"Inkless"- Still crusing along at warp factor four out of hostile space and thru the neutral zone, Billy watches the stars steak past as he heads home- still reflecting again on his haunting lost love. Nice. This album needed this lighter one here ats perfect and short.

"Wildflower" is our closer. Opening dark and drearliy, "I'm Wasted along the way to reach you" the guy is still battling his addiction to this being he loves, and wishes he a happy good bye. "Wildflower in the wilderness outside- take you chance with love and laughter....when its far too gone i'd move on" the strings and wailing guitar intertwine in a sad weep to close out out record.

Its no Gish, and no Siamese, and No Mellon Collie, not even Adore.... both rather elements of all performed nicely but his new assembly of musicians, showing that Billy IS the pumpkins despite what some may think....how much its arguable. but clearly he has crafted a nice record that is deep, introspective, and the natural progression of his 90s work. Forget the 07? Ziegist that over produced shiny rock was the exact opposite of what get here. And that - even with the removal of chamberlian is actually a good thing. These songs feel real, even if the theme is repetitive, its the depth to which Corgan explores it, and physcadellic epic feel of the album that does indeed make this one of his best works since Mellon Collie.

I'm sure Pumpkins fans will be delighted! And casual fans will enjoy it! Bottom line- make it thru the early mid tracks and it will be worth it when the album expands in all directions in the middle- then desecent and enjoy the ride home for the last third.

3 popcorns of 4. A good record!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:52 pm 
Global Moderator

I can't believe some many of you like this record. What is drawing you to it?

The perfect gift for certain occasions

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:18 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

I listened to the first half and didn't think it was very interesting either. Corgan just seems to have lost all ability to craft a hook.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:31 pm 
The Snowboy

Or sing. Oh wait..

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:40 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Harmless wrote:
Or sing. Oh wait..

His voice is way upfront in their latest work, i don´t quite like that in oceania...but its a great album.
It has hooks, great guitar work, some good pop songs...best record since adore.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:27 pm 
Global Moderator

that's possible but that is damning with some really faint praise. The lyrics are terrible. he sounds awful, and the songs are just loud with very little grace. It showcases his worst tendancies, although it does so better than Zeitgiest. Machina had some really terrible moments, but there were also a bunch of songs on there that still showed he could write a really good song when the mood struck him

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:21 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

i agree there is little in the way of hooks or anything that you'll be humming- it is my biggest complaint with the album. there is no zero, today, or even tarantula on this record. there is no "hit" on this album- and to me that is his admittance that he wasn't working for himself as much as trying too hard to be a big name band again. however, save for a song here and there, it still is the most musically interesting thing he's done since the initial band ended. that line in that grantland review about making a regular goddamn pumpkins record and not being a dick about it was spot on- this album sounds like how i want my pumpkins to be, not this bullshit that's been going on for the last 5 years. to me, this is his attempt at a truly progressive rock record and i think he made a pretty decent one. oceania is a highlight, a three part central epic, which is something he's done before and probably better, sure (glass + the ghost children, which might be my favorite pumpkins song). violet rays is another track that stood out. many of the other songs sound like mixtures of the styles present from the gish-machina era. the record sounds familiar, yet different, and not in a particularly bad way to me, like the last one did. lyrically, there is certainly thematic elements running through the record, but i'll be honest and say what i've actually processed hasn't been that impressive, and i'd be lying if i said that the first time i listened to the album and heard the very first words, "god! right on!", i didn't want to immediately shut it off.

oceania is far from perfect. i definitely can't say i love it. if i rate it right now i'd give it a moderately positive score (6-7/10 maybe) but it is the closest thing to "my" pumpkins i've heard since the reboot. a good chunk of this record gives me the feelings and excitement i had listening to those records years ago, and for that i am happy and grateful. i didn't think he had it in him.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:26 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

im not saying its perfect, like i said i have my strong complaints about some of the vocals and i haven´t payed attention to the lyrics yet ( im not that interested in lyrics these days), but musically is the most consistent thing he did since adore.
I like some songs in machina ( some others were terrible), i like some songs and ideas from Zeitgeist and some songs like superchrist and glow...But , for me, its undeniable that this record captures a good portion of what i like in SP.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:06 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

I like all the rockers, especially the first 4 and last 3 songs. That's over half the album, so I'm pretty happy with it. Yes, the lyrics are garbage but it's the summer so who cares. I have a glow on about 90% of the time I'm not in work so bring on inane lyrics. That said, hol;y shit is One Diamond, One Heart ever a steaming pile of shit.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:38 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

tyler wrote:
I like all the rockers, especially the first 4 and last 3 songs. That's over half the album, so I'm pretty happy with it. Yes, the lyrics are garbage but it's the summer so who cares. I have a glow on about 90% of the time I'm not in work so bring on inane lyrics. That said, hol;y shit is One Diamond, One Heart ever a steaming pile of shit.

yeah weakest song of the record...kinda hate those keyboards.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:26 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

tyler wrote:
Yes, the lyrics are garbage but it's the summer so who cares.

Good point.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:21 pm 
Global Moderator

do you plan on listening to this record in other seasons?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:46 pm 
Master of Meh

Man, I dread summer.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 215 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Other Bands