Board index » Word on the Street... » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 215 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Smashing Pumpkins - Oceania - June 19, 2012
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:06 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah
 WWW  Profile

this album is surprisingly pretty damn good... and i say this as someone who stopped caring in 1998 or so

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:32 am 
Force of Nature
 WWW  Profile

AndySlash wrote:
J's Brain wrote:
There is a great quote over on Grantland about Oceania/Billy which sums things up perfectly, IMO:

Quote:
All his fans ever wanted in the first place was a regular goddamn Smashing Pumpkins record, and Oceania is Corgan trying not to be a dick about it for once.

The article is a good read: http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/807 ... -rock-cool

that quote is money. good article, too. thanks.

yeah, I agree. I'm really enjoying this album so far.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:48 am 
too drunk to moderate properly
 WWW  Profile

PHATJ wrote:
¡B! wrote:
$10 for the CD on Amazon with $1 credit toward mp3s.

I'm alright if it's just mediocre.

$9 at Target this week. It's better then mediocre too.

Meh. I'm kinda over it already.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:58 am 
Unthought Known

I haven't absorbed it yet and I'm already working on a MCIS one-disc compilation for the car.

"Remember back the early days when you were young and thus amazed."

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:36 am 
Stone's Bitch
 WWW  Profile

Having listened to it multiple times in the last 2 weeks, I can safely say that this is the best I've heard the Pumpkins sound since the MCIS-TAFH period. I do wish the drums had more punch to them though in the mix.

Fav tracks: "Panopticon", "Oceania", "The Chimera"
Least fav: Don't really dislike any of them, but "Wildflower" doesn't quite hold up like the rest.

Overall, I'd give the album a 8/10.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:39 am 
$5 Donation Gets Custom Title

Riot Actor 25 wrote:
I haven't absorbed it yet and I'm already working on a MCIS one-disc compilation for the car.

I've done this.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:37 pm 
Stone's Bitch
 WWW  Profile

Riot Actor 25 wrote:

1. Where Boys Fear To Tread
2. Bodies
3. Galapogos
4. Here Is No Why
5. Porcelina of the Vast Oceans
6. Zero
7. Muzzle
8. X.Y.U.
9. To Forgive
10. Cupid De Locke
11. Jellybelly
12. Thru The Eyes of Ruby
13. Farewell & Goodnight

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:05 am 
Stone's Bitch

Mellon Collie
By Starlight
Here is no why
Where Boys Fear to Tread
Love
X.Y.U
Stumbleine
Porcelina
Tonight, tonight
Muzzle

"Es verdad que el río en el que ayer estuve a punto de ahogarme es de una indiscutible belleza pero que me cuelguen con un gancho del prepucio y me hagan girar si en el resto de mi putísima vida vuelvo a meterme otra vez en el agua"

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:56 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Listening to Quasar from a new york show....amazing song.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:06 am 
Global Moderator

I finally got around to listening to this. It is okay at best. Nothing cringe worthy like you might find on Zietgiest, beyond a few lyrics here and there, but overall I think this is a fairly bland effort on just about every level.

The music is pretty one dimensional. There is a cool sound to his guitar but it's the same thing song after song after song, without the nuance you got on a record like Siamese Dream, where the same feel of each song made the whole thing feel like it was making an epic statement. Here it just felt overlong. Sprawling, but rarely interesting. Beyond that there is basically no beauty, no subtlety, no majesty, and these were all things he used to do really well. It is completely lacking in the delicate power that made their best music so good--the sense that you were getting hit with something really hard but it was coming out of this really fragile vessel. It made it all kind of dangerous.

Part of the problem is that I think Corgan just doesn't sound good anymore, but he thinks he does. His voice no longer has the shrieking angel quality that it used to. It makes him sound petulant instead of mysterious, and for a guy who just sounds bad he is way to prominent in the mix. Stronger bass and drums to ground him a bit might help, but something is missing.

And lyrically Corgan was always over the top, but he could get away with it since he could do melodramatic better than anyone in a way that felt really literate. There was a high school poetry quality to much of it, but it was the best high school poetry you'll ever read.

I suspect if he learns to write and record within his current limitations he could possibly still do good work, but not if he keeps writing like he could sing like it was 1995. The titles of every record post Adore all scream to be taken seriously as some kind of grand statement.

Machina: God acting in the world
Zietgiest: The spirit of the age
Oceania: Something vast

He can't pull this off. So much of his best stuff came from him trying to find safe, quiet spaces where he didn't have to feel small, and that's the direction I'd like to see him move. Not the bombast.

I can't say I was disappointed in this album since I didn't expect much, but I am disappointed that the last song Billy Corgan wrote that I cared about was Lyric. That was what, 12 years ago?

The perfect gift for certain occasions

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:43 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

stip wrote:
I finally got around to listening to this. It is okay at best. Nothing cringe worthy like you might find on Zietgiest, beyond a few lyrics here and there, but overall I think this is a fairly bland effort on just about every level.

The music is pretty one dimensional. There is a cool sound to his guitar but it's the same thing song after song after song, without the nuance you got on a record like Siamese Dream, where the same feel of each song made the whole thing feel like it was making an epic statement. Here it just felt overlong. Sprawling, but rarely interesting. Beyond that there is basically no beauty, no subtlety, no majesty, and these were all things he used to do really well. It is completely lacking in the delicate power that made their best music so good--the sense that you were getting hit with something really hard but it was coming out of this really fragile vessel. It made it all kind of dangerous.

Part of the problem is that I think Corgan just doesn't sound good anymore, but he thinks he does. His voice no longer has the shrieking angel quality that it used to. It makes him sound petulant instead of mysterious, and for a guy who just sounds bad he is way to prominent in the mix. Stronger bass and drums to ground him a bit might help, but something is missing.

And lyrically Corgan was always over the top, but he could get away with it since he could do melodramatic better than anyone in a way that felt really literate. There was a high school poetry quality to much of it, but it was the best high school poetry you'll ever read.

I suspect if he learns to write and record within his current limitations he could possibly still do good work, but not if he keeps writing like he could sing like it was 1995. The titles of every record post Adore all scream to be taken seriously as some kind of grand statement.

Machina: God acting in the world
Zietgiest: The spirit of the age
Oceania: Something vast

He can't pull this off. So much of his best stuff came from him trying to find safe, quiet spaces where he didn't have to feel small, and that's the direction I'd like to see him move. Not the bombast.

I can't say I was disappointed in this album since I didn't expect much, but I am disappointed that the last song Billy Corgan wrote that I cared about was Lyric. That was what, 12 years ago?

i feel the same way in a few things, the first one is Billy´s vocals...too prominent in their recent records..he needs a good producer like butch vig or a mixer like flood.
The same with the bombastic writing...i can´t stand machina even if you hear some good songs buried in all that stuff...
but i think their new record has some great elements...my love is winter is a pretty nice pop song, and most of their songs from the new album sound awesome live.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:32 pm 
too drunk to moderate properly
 WWW  Profile

Sometimes I feel like stip is just me from another universe where I give a shit enough to write stuff down.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:45 pm 
$5 Donation Gets Custom Title

Riot Actor 25 wrote:

01 Tonight
02 Jelly
03 Bullet
04 Forgive
05 Ode
06 Galapogos
07 Bodies
08 33
09 1979
10 Ruby
11 XYU
12 Starlight

No need to change the running order from the actual release. Had considered non-album cuts like Pennies, TAFH, Ugly and Set The Ray To Jerry.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:46 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

i love oceania, the track....pretty good.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:38 pm 
Force of Nature
 WWW  Profile

OK, I've spent some time with this album now and I think it is really really good. Not sure what people were expecting but I'm enjoying it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:34 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

i know people dont´t quite like his work in the album but mike byrne is great.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:53 pm 
Got Some

stip wrote:
If Billy Corgan had produced more than a handful of passable songs in the last 15 years this would be easier to take. I assume that interview was not from 1996.

He's produced a lot of great stuff since then; he just doesn't seem to be able to filter out the crap. If he were better able to self-edit people would look at him and his music a lot differently. I can't think of any other artist who consistently shoots himself in the foot by leaving their best and most interesting material off their albums.

Pearl Jam shows:
Champaign 4/23/2003
Chicago 6/18/2003
St. Louis 10/05/2004
Portland 7/20/2006
Gorge 7/22/2006
Ridgefield 9/26/2009
Philadelphia 10/31/2009

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:01 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

VinylGuy wrote:
i love oceania, the track....pretty good.

i hate hate hate that it ends on a fade out, otherwise i do like it as well.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:36 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

matt reeder wrote:
stip wrote:
If Billy Corgan had produced more than a handful of passable songs in the last 15 years this would be easier to take. I assume that interview was not from 1996.

He's produced a lot of great stuff since then; he just doesn't seem to be able to filter out the crap. If he were better able to self-edit people would look at him and his music a lot differently. I can't think of any other artist who consistently shoots himself in the foot by leaving their best and most interesting material off their albums.

Great post...i think he needs a big producer like in his early years.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:10 pm 
Global Moderator

matt reeder wrote:
stip wrote:

that's totally possible. I only know what's on the albums, and I haven't heard any teargarden stuff beyond what made oceania.

The perfect gift for certain occasions

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 215 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Other Bands