Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 299 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Smashing Pumpkins Reissues 2011 -
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:10 pm
Offline
User avatar
Stone's Bitch
 Profile

Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 6:41 am
Location: Providence, RI
Gender: Male
deep wrote:
i don't see any mention of vinyl there. and yes, $95 for a cd collection sounds like a bad deal

Actually, on Amazon, it's the vinyl listed for $95. The deluxe CD edition is listed as $146.28: http://www.amazon.com/Mellon-Infinite-S ... te+sadness

_________________
"I wish that I believed in fate / I wish I didn't sleep so late"

"The real truth about it is: no one gets it right / The real truth about it is: we’re all supposed to try"

Top

 Post subject: Re: Smashing Pumpkins Reissues 2011 -
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:52 pm
Offline
User avatar
$5 Donation Gets Custom Title
 Profile

Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 8:33 am
This is obviously Billy's favourite record.

Top

 Post subject: Re: Smashing Pumpkins Reissues 2011 -
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:16 am
Offline
User avatar
Got Some
 Profile

Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:12 pm
Location: Portland, OR
VinylGuy wrote:
We need Matt reeder to explains us all what all these new songs and mixes mean.
Matt, please? would you help us ?

Listen to "Pastichio Medley". Between that and rough mixes of songs, that's basically what the outtakes are. The demo of "Eye" surprises me but not much else does. I'm really stoked to finally get to hear a full studio version of "Speed". If you've never heard "Speed", they played it at the 2/95 Double Door shows but it never got released. Imagine a mix of "Tonight, Tonight" and "Frail & Bedazzled". That's what it always sounded like to me.

The one bummer about this set is that the stuff on that video is already circulating widely in great quality. It will be nice to have pristine, perfect-quality copies of both but neither are even remotely complete. It seems apparent to me that Billy couldn't get the rights to release any more from the Brixton show that has already been broadcast - the tracklist on this reissue is exactly the same as the broadcast version, and is in the same running order. I would bet a lot that "Silverfuck" is incomplete and cut at the same spot as the broadcast version.

Don't get me wrong, that's one quibble about what seems to be an outstanding set. I was just hoping he would be able to release the full Brixton show with this reissue. My guess is that MTV won't let him.

For reference, here's the complete setlist for the Brixton show:

Set One (acoustic):
Tonight, Tonight
In the Arms of Sleep
Cupid de Locke
Thirty-three
Rocket
Soma
Take Me Down
1979
Beautiful
> Muzzle (false start)
Muzzle

Set Two:
Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness (over PA)
Where Boys Fear to Tread
Zero
Fuck You
Here Is No Why
To Forgive
Today
Thru the Eyes Of Ruby
Porcelina of the Vast Oceans > Rocket (tease)
Bodies
> Boys Don't Cry [The Cure] (tease)
Disarm
Bullet with Butterfly Wings
Cherub Rock

Encore One:
> Firestarter [The Prodigy] (tease)
X.Y.U.

Encore Two:
Mayonaise

Encore Three:
Jellybelly
Silverfuck
> Space Jam (tease)
> Eye (tease)
> Dose [Filter] (tease)
Farewell and Goodnight

_________________
SOUNDGARDEN LIVE GUIDE

Pearl Jam shows:
Champaign 4/23/2003
Chicago 6/18/2003
St. Louis 10/05/2004
Portland 7/20/2006
Gorge 7/22/2006
Ridgefield 9/26/2009
Philadelphia 10/31/2009

Top

 Post subject: Re: Smashing Pumpkins Reissues 2011 -
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:03 pm
Offline
Yeah Yeah Yeah
 Profile

Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:23 am
matt reeder wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
We need Matt reeder to explains us all what all these new songs and mixes mean.
Matt, please? would you help us ?

Listen to "Pastichio Medley". Between that and rough mixes of songs, that's basically what the outtakes are. The demo of "Eye" surprises me but not much else does. I'm really stoked to finally get to hear a full studio version of "Speed". If you've never heard "Speed", they played it at the 2/95 Double Door shows but it never got released. Imagine a mix of "Tonight, Tonight" and "Frail & Bedazzled". That's what it always sounded like to me.

The one bummer about this set is that the stuff on that video is already circulating widely in great quality. It will be nice to have pristine, perfect-quality copies of both but neither are even remotely complete. It seems apparent to me that Billy couldn't get the rights to release any more from the Brixton show that has already been broadcast - the tracklist on this reissue is exactly the same as the broadcast version, and is in the same running order. I would bet a lot that "Silverfuck" is incomplete and cut at the same spot as the broadcast version.

Don't get me wrong, that's one quibble about what seems to be an outstanding set. I was just hoping he would be able to release the full Brixton show with this reissue. My guess is that MTV won't let him.

For reference, here's the complete setlist for the Brixton show:

Set One (acoustic):
Tonight, Tonight
In the Arms of Sleep
Cupid de Locke
Thirty-three
Rocket
Soma
Take Me Down
1979
Beautiful
> Muzzle (false start)
Muzzle

Set Two:
Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness (over PA)
Where Boys Fear to Tread
Zero
Fuck You
Here Is No Why
To Forgive
Today
Thru the Eyes Of Ruby
Porcelina of the Vast Oceans > Rocket (tease)
Bodies
> Boys Don't Cry [The Cure] (tease)
Disarm
Bullet with Butterfly Wings
Cherub Rock

Encore One:
> Firestarter [The Prodigy] (tease)
X.Y.U.

Encore Two:
Mayonaise

Encore Three:
Jellybelly
Silverfuck
> Space Jam (tease)
> Eye (tease)
> Dose [Filter] (tease)
Farewell and Goodnight

Great setlist...firestarter? weird. Am i the only one who really dont care for Eye?

Top

 Post subject: Re: Smashing Pumpkins Reissues 2011 -
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:04 pm
Offline
Yeah Yeah Yeah
 Profile

Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:23 am
Let enjoy this togheter:

Top

 Post subject: Re: Smashing Pumpkins Reissues 2011 -
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:11 pm
Offline
User avatar
too drunk to moderate properly
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 7:19 pm
Location: Chapel Hill, NC, USA
Gender: Male
I'd love to have this, but I think $50 is my cap on it.

_________________
"Though some may think there should be a separation between art/music and politics, it should be reinforced that art can be a form of nonviolent protest." - e.v.

Top

 Post subject: Re: Smashing Pumpkins Reissues 2011 -
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:22 am
Offline
Yeah Yeah Yeah
 Profile

Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:23 am
that brixton show...wow...what a band.
The acoustic set is all kinds of amazing...the songs are reworked, slowed down, Iha puts different arrangements and they all work.
SP at the height of their powers.

Top

 Post subject: Re: Smashing Pumpkins Reissues 2011 -
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:57 pm
Offline
Yeah Yeah Yeah
 Profile

Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:23 am
listening to For Martha...what a song...the building part with the solo...flawless.
Im wonder what is he going to do when Adore came in for the reissues...

Top

 Post subject: Re: Smashing Pumpkins Reissues 2011 -
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:05 pm
Offline
User avatar
Master of Meh
 Profile

Joined: Fri May 19, 2006 11:00 pm
Location: Adelaide, AUS
I'd like to hear more about what VinylGuy doesn't like.

Top

 Post subject: Re: Smashing Pumpkins Reissues 2011 -
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:23 am
Offline
User avatar
Coast to Coast
 Profile

Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:21 am
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Gender: Male
spenno wrote:
I'd like to hear more about what VinylGuy doesn't like.

Pavement

_________________
For more insulated and ill-informed opinions, click here.

Top

 Post subject: Re: Smashing Pumpkins Reissues 2011 -
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:09 am
Offline
User avatar
Got Some
 Profile

Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:12 pm
Location: Portland, OR
I think we should all take a moment here to appreciate the inherent awesomeness of "Here Is No Why".

_________________
SOUNDGARDEN LIVE GUIDE

Pearl Jam shows:
Champaign 4/23/2003
Chicago 6/18/2003
St. Louis 10/05/2004
Portland 7/20/2006
Gorge 7/22/2006
Ridgefield 9/26/2009
Philadelphia 10/31/2009

Top

 Post subject: Re: Smashing Pumpkins Reissues 2011 -
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:15 am

matt reeder wrote:
I think we should all take a moment here to appreciate the inherent awesomeness of "Here Is No Why".

yeap.. is one my favorites...They are supposed to play all instruments on MCAIS right? its not just billy like in SD..

Top

 Post subject: Re: Smashing Pumpkins Reissues 2011 -
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:18 am

spenno wrote:
I'd like to hear more about what VinylGuy doesn't like.

i think i ve said some of things that i dont like...Pavement is one( actually i dont care for them), Green Day is another band i dont like, bands like creed, some of the "punk" from the 90 like offspring, no doubt, most of the ska and reagge music...
lots of things.

i do like your mom though.

Top

 Post subject: Re: Smashing Pumpkins Reissues 2011 -
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:33 am
Offline
User avatar
Stone's Bitch
 Profile

Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 6:41 am
Location: Providence, RI
Gender: Male
Good news! The vinyl is down to $78 on Amazon.

_________________
"I wish that I believed in fate / I wish I didn't sleep so late"

"The real truth about it is: no one gets it right / The real truth about it is: we’re all supposed to try"

Top

 Post subject: Re: Smashing Pumpkins Reissues 2011 -
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:06 am
Offline
Yeah Yeah Yeah
 Profile

Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:23 am
Matt, what are your thoughts on some of the songs in the aeroplane flies high? and mashed potatoes?

Top

 Post subject: Re: Smashing Pumpkins Reissues 2011 -
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:02 pm

VinylGuy wrote:
Matt, what are your thoughts on some of the songs in the aeroplane flies high? and mashed potatoes?

Both are awesome. The Aeroplane Flies High features some of my all-time favorite SP songs, like the title track (a top 10 SP song for me), "The Last Song", "Mouths of Babes", "God", "Cherry", "Set the Ray to Jerry", "Meladori Magpie", "Marquis in Spades" and "Believe". The stinker of the set is the "Bullet With Butterfly Wings" single; one decent Iha track and 5 almost unlistenable covers.

Mashed Potatoes is awesome. I'd love to see it remastered and properly released but it sounds great as it is. There's some really great stuff in there, from the live version of "The Joker" to all the early demos.

_________________
SOUNDGARDEN LIVE GUIDE

Pearl Jam shows:
Champaign 4/23/2003
Chicago 6/18/2003
St. Louis 10/05/2004
Portland 7/20/2006
Gorge 7/22/2006
Ridgefield 9/26/2009
Philadelphia 10/31/2009

Top

 Post subject: Re: Smashing Pumpkins Reissues 2011 -
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:03 pm

matt reeder wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
Matt, what are your thoughts on some of the songs in the aeroplane flies high? and mashed potatoes?

Both are awesome. The Aeroplane Flies High features some of my all-time favorite SP songs, like the title track (a top 10 SP song for me), "The Last Song", "Mouths of Babes", "God", "Cherry", "Set the Ray to Jerry", "Meladori Magpie", "Marquis in Spades" and "Believe". The stinker of the set is the "Bullet With Butterfly Wings" single; one decent Iha track and 5 almost unlistenable covers.

Mashed Potatoes is awesome. I'd love to see it remastered and properly released but it sounds great as it is. There's some really great stuff in there, from the live version of "The Joker" to all the early demos.

Was mashed potatoes a kinda official release? i dont remember.

Top

 Post subject: Re: Smashing Pumpkins Reissues 2011 -
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:01 am

VinylGuy wrote:
matt reeder wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
Matt, what are your thoughts on some of the songs in the aeroplane flies high? and mashed potatoes?

Both are awesome. The Aeroplane Flies High features some of my all-time favorite SP songs, like the title track (a top 10 SP song for me), "The Last Song", "Mouths of Babes", "God", "Cherry", "Set the Ray to Jerry", "Meladori Magpie", "Marquis in Spades" and "Believe". The stinker of the set is the "Bullet With Butterfly Wings" single; one decent Iha track and 5 almost unlistenable covers.

Mashed Potatoes is awesome. I'd love to see it remastered and properly released but it sounds great as it is. There's some really great stuff in there, from the live version of "The Joker" to all the early demos.

Was mashed potatoes a kinda official release? i dont remember.

It was a 5 CD set of live recordings, demos and studio outtakes Billy made for friends and family in 1993. He put it together on his own from stuff in his archive. It leaked in 2001-2002 and has become pretty widespread.

_________________
SOUNDGARDEN LIVE GUIDE

Pearl Jam shows:
Champaign 4/23/2003
Chicago 6/18/2003
St. Louis 10/05/2004
Portland 7/20/2006
Gorge 7/22/2006
Ridgefield 9/26/2009
Philadelphia 10/31/2009

Top

 Post subject: Re: Smashing Pumpkins Reissues 2011 -
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:20 am

matt reeder wrote:
The Aeroplane Flies High features some of my all-time favorite SP songs, like the title track (a top 10 SP song for me)

Troof. Maybe even top five.

Top

 Post subject: Re: Smashing Pumpkins Reissues 2011 -
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:08 am
Offline
User avatar
Force of Nature
 Profile

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2004 3:25 am
I never really liked sunny days.

Top

Display posts from previous:  Sort by
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 299 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests

You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:
cron
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:28 pm