Board index » Word on the Street... » Other Bands

Post subject: the jesus and mary chain
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:07 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

i was feeling curious today and just ordered a used copy of psychocandy from amazon based solely on the strength of the track 'just like honey' from LiT and my growing fascination with post-punk/shoegaze/noise rock/whatever.

did i make a good choice or not? i'll let this thread grow while i wait for the album in the mail.

Post subject: Re: the jesus and mary chain
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:10 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

washing machine wrote:
i was feeling curious today and just ordered a used copy of psychocandy from amazon based solely on the strength of the track 'just like honey' from LiT and my growing fascination with post-punk/shoegaze/noise rock/whatever.

did i make a good choice or not? i'll let this thread grow while i wait for the album in the mail.

Fuck yes, they were a Creation band who were an influence on Dinosaur Jr., MBV, etc. The http://www.allmusic.com review of Pyschocandy is really good and basically they were a sensation in the underground when it was released. Very much influenced by the Velvet Underground and 60s Phil Spector.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:11 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

whooo!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:14 pm 
Devil's Advocate

Great choice reidster.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:16 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

i'm excited. i love buying records blindly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:23 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

The Jesus and Mary Chain are one of those bands that if you don't like, you are just, like, stupid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:18 pm 
Force of Nature

!

I first bought Psychocandy about 15 years ago. At first I thought the vinyl must be a faulty pressing - nothing else in their catalogue prepares you for it. I took it back and exchanged it for Darklands :oops: .

Eventually picked it up again after O.D.ing on the rest of their stuff. Still took a few listens to appreciate how good the songs were beneath the noise (Motown/Beach Boys/etc), and how beautiful that noise was. Bonus points for borrowing the genius idea from the Velvet Underground of using a drummer who clearly had no idea how to play the drums in any conventional way ;) .

The Some Candy Talking ep is equally good.

btw, I was at the tour of the U.K. headlined by the JAMC, supported by My Bloody Valentine, Dinosaur Jr, and errrrrrrr....Blur. Must have been around '92. Needless to say Blur didn't stand a chance. Damon jumped about with his willy out to compensate for their weedy sound and weak material. Wanker. Dinosaur Jr were unbelievable. Mascis was so loud anyway, then he'd stamp on his 'solo' pedal and all other sound was obliterated by his guitar. My Bloody Valentine did the infamous never ending chord in the middle of You Made Me Realise. God knows how long it was. For the first couple of minutes you think 'This is awesome!' Then it starts to hurt....a few more minutes you really want it to stop and everybody is getting a bit freaked out. Eventually it takes you over completely and you don't want it to ever end. JAMC had a lot to do to headline after all that, but they were a class act back then 8) .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:22 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

Mick Stubbs wrote:
!

I first bought Psychocandy about 15 years ago. At first I thought the vinyl must be a faulty pressing - nothing else in their catalogue prepares you for it. I took it back and exchanged it for Darklands :oops: .

Eventually picked it up again after O.D.ing on the rest of their stuff. Still took a few listens to appreciate how good the songs were beneath the noise (Motown/Beach Boys/etc), and how beautiful that noise was. Bonus points for borrowing the genius idea from the Velvet Underground of using a drummer who clearly had no idea how to play the drums in any conventional way ;) .

The Some Candy Talking ep is equally good.

btw, I was at the tour of the U.K. headlined by the JAMC, supported by My Bloody Valentine, Dinosaur Jr, and errrrrrrr....Blur. Must have been around '92. Needless to say Blur didn't stand a chance. Damon jumped about with his willy out to compensate for their weedy sound and weak material. Wanker. Dinosaur Jr were unbelievable. Mascis was so loud anyway, then he'd stamp on his 'solo' pedal and all other sound was obliterated by his guitar. My Bloody Valentine did the infamous never ending chord in the middle of You Made Me Realise. God knows how long it was. For the first couple of minutes you think 'This is awesome!' Then it starts to hurt....a few more minutes you really want it to stop and everybody is getting a bit freaked out. Eventually it takes you over completely and you don't want it to ever end. JAMC had a lot to do to headline after all that, but they were a class act back then 8) .

that show you were at sounds like it would have ruined me for anyother music forever. the only thing it sounds like it was missing was thurston moore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:54 pm 
Got Some

washing machine wrote:
i'm excited. i love buying records blindly.

I thought I was the only one :P

But yeah, Psychocandy is a great album. My cousin gave it to me about 2 years ago and I didn't really got into it until about 8 months ago or so. I think it takes a while to grow on you but has great songs and has a very special atmosphere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 12:21 am 
Unthought Known

Athletic Supporter wrote:
Great choice reidster.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 12:30 am 
Former PJ Drummer

Mick Stubbs wrote:

That is fucking cool, we need more people like this posting in the forum

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 10:56 am 
Force of Nature

One of my favourite bands ever. Be sure to ckeck out Darklands aswell in the future. That will probably give you the urge to collect their whole catalogue. Honey's Dead is brilliant aswell, a great summer album.

Pyschocandy needs remastering though. :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 2:23 pm 
Supersonic

I downloaded Psychocandy a while ago but I still haven't listened to the entire thing. Dunno why. What I have listened to is good, I just haven't felt the urge to try and get through it again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 3:22 pm 
Force of Nature

Just listen to "The Hardest Walk" track 4 a few times, you will then want to hear more and more of the Mary Chain after that. :wink:

The only dissapointment of Pyschocandy for me, is that the album should end with "Something's Wrong" rather than "It's So Hard".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 5:55 pm 
Got Some

dyingonahilltop wrote:
I downloaded Psychocandy a while ago but I still haven't listened to the entire thing. Dunno why. What I have listened to is good, I just haven't felt the urge to try and get through it again.

Try to give it a calm, clear and focused listen. Those songs require a bit of attention and time. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 6:53 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

DirtyFrank wrote:
Just listen to "The Hardest Walk" track 4 a few times, you will then want to hear more and more of the Mary Chain after that. :wink:

The only dissapointment of Pyschocandy for me, is that the album should end with "Something's Wrong" rather than "It's So Hard".

Hardest Walk is my favorite song on the album

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:11 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/page/news ... Albu#41299

Jesus & Mary Chain Add Reunion Gigs, Consider Album
Jim Reid on new JAMC LP: "Maybe."
While you were busy conceiving of the cleverest way to comprise your integrity on Craigslist for a Coachella ticket, the Jesus and Mary Chain went and announced two more reunion shows. After melting the Björk-ready masses in Indio, California on April 27, the brothers Reid and their Chain-gang will ship off to Spain for two Summercase festival gigs.

Presently comprised of Jim and William Reid, along with second guitarist Mark Crozer, bassist Phil King (ex-Lush), and drummer Laurence "Loz" Colbert (ex-Ride), the JAMC rock Madrid's Boadilla del Monte on July 13 and Barcelona's Parc del Forum on July 14. Along with Coachella, these gigs will be the band's first in nine years.

Said Jim Reid in a press release, "It's taken this long for me and William to get to a point where it would be realistic to [get back together], and to some degree each of us assumed the other wouldn't be interested, and it was only after we talked about it that we realised this. Also Coachella were very persistent."

These new gigs will also give the band a chance to redeem themselves following a disappointing final show. "The last Mary Chain gig was in 1998 and was such a bloody awful mess, too much drink, too many drugs, nobody seeing eye to eye on anything and the band just blew up, and I suppose you could say this is another good reason for our reformation, 'cause that was no way for the Mary Chain to end."

Does this mean we can expect more shows... and a new album?? "I really don't know," said Jim. "Maybe. I think we would like to and we're looking at another show or two."

For now, we can expect solo albums from each of the Reid brothers later this year.

JAMC reunion pilgrimage:

04-27 Indio, CA - Empire Polo Field (Coachella)
07-13 Madrid, Spain - Boadilla del Monte (Summercase)
07-14 Barcelona, Spain - Parc del Forum (Summercase)

And the night John Lennon died
I remember I stayed up to watch the news with everyone

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:17 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Amazing band, "Making love on the edge of a knife" lyrics don't get much better.

Rise. Life is in motion...

don't it make you smile?
don't it make you smile?
when the sun don't shine? (shine at all)
don't it make you smile?

RIP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:41 am 
Leak Inspector
 WWW  Profile

Head On, Just like Honey, You Trip Me Up and April Skies are owning me right now

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:00 am 
Former PJ Drummer

Has anyone heard the remastered versions of Psychocandy and Darklands? I should be foaming at the mouth to hear them but I have just been so busy with other music. :?

Board index » Word on the Street... » Other Bands