Board index » Word on the Street... » Other Bands




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: the jesus and mary chain
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 12:40 am
Posts: 25451
Location: 111 Archer Ave.
i was feeling curious today and just ordered a used copy of psychocandy from amazon based solely on the strength of the track 'just like honey' from LiT and my growing fascination with post-punk/shoegaze/noise rock/whatever.

did i make a good choice or not? i'll let this thread grow while i wait for the album in the mail.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: the jesus and mary chain
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Former PJ Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 4:01 am
Posts: 19477
Location: Brooklyn NY
washing machine wrote:
i was feeling curious today and just ordered a used copy of psychocandy from amazon based solely on the strength of the track 'just like honey' from LiT and my growing fascination with post-punk/shoegaze/noise rock/whatever.

did i make a good choice or not? i'll let this thread grow while i wait for the album in the mail.


Fuck yes, they were a Creation band who were an influence on Dinosaur Jr., MBV, etc. The http://www.allmusic.com review of Pyschocandy is really good and basically they were a sensation in the underground when it was released. Very much influenced by the Velvet Underground and 60s Phil Spector.

_________________
LittleWing sometime in July 2007 wrote:
Unfortunately, it's so elementary, and the big time investors behind the drive in the stock market aren't so stupid. This isn't the false economy of 2000.


Top
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 12:40 am
Posts: 25451
Location: 111 Archer Ave.
whooo!


Top
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Devil's Advocate
 Profile

Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 12:59 am
Posts: 18643
Location: Raleigh, NC
Gender: Male
Great choice reidster.


Top
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 12:40 am
Posts: 25451
Location: 111 Archer Ave.
i'm excited. i love buying records blindly.


Top
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Former PJ Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 4:01 am
Posts: 19477
Location: Brooklyn NY
The Jesus and Mary Chain are one of those bands that if you don't like, you are just, like, stupid.

_________________
LittleWing sometime in July 2007 wrote:
Unfortunately, it's so elementary, and the big time investors behind the drive in the stock market aren't so stupid. This isn't the false economy of 2000.


Top
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Force of Nature
 Profile

Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 5:14 pm
Posts: 714
!

I first bought Psychocandy about 15 years ago. At first I thought the vinyl must be a faulty pressing - nothing else in their catalogue prepares you for it. I took it back and exchanged it for Darklands :oops: .

Eventually picked it up again after O.D.ing on the rest of their stuff. Still took a few listens to appreciate how good the songs were beneath the noise (Motown/Beach Boys/etc), and how beautiful that noise was. Bonus points for borrowing the genius idea from the Velvet Underground of using a drummer who clearly had no idea how to play the drums in any conventional way ;) .

The Some Candy Talking ep is equally good.

btw, I was at the tour of the U.K. headlined by the JAMC, supported by My Bloody Valentine, Dinosaur Jr, and errrrrrrr....Blur. Must have been around '92. Needless to say Blur didn't stand a chance. Damon jumped about with his willy out to compensate for their weedy sound and weak material. Wanker. Dinosaur Jr were unbelievable. Mascis was so loud anyway, then he'd stamp on his 'solo' pedal and all other sound was obliterated by his guitar. My Bloody Valentine did the infamous never ending chord in the middle of You Made Me Realise. God knows how long it was. For the first couple of minutes you think 'This is awesome!' Then it starts to hurt....a few more minutes you really want it to stop and everybody is getting a bit freaked out. Eventually it takes you over completely and you don't want it to ever end. JAMC had a lot to do to headline after all that, but they were a class act back then 8) .

_________________
'The head that will become a skull is already empty.'


Top
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 12:40 am
Posts: 25451
Location: 111 Archer Ave.
Mick Stubbs wrote:
!

I first bought Psychocandy about 15 years ago. At first I thought the vinyl must be a faulty pressing - nothing else in their catalogue prepares you for it. I took it back and exchanged it for Darklands :oops: .

Eventually picked it up again after O.D.ing on the rest of their stuff. Still took a few listens to appreciate how good the songs were beneath the noise (Motown/Beach Boys/etc), and how beautiful that noise was. Bonus points for borrowing the genius idea from the Velvet Underground of using a drummer who clearly had no idea how to play the drums in any conventional way ;) .

The Some Candy Talking ep is equally good.

btw, I was at the tour of the U.K. headlined by the JAMC, supported by My Bloody Valentine, Dinosaur Jr, and errrrrrrr....Blur. Must have been around '92. Needless to say Blur didn't stand a chance. Damon jumped about with his willy out to compensate for their weedy sound and weak material. Wanker. Dinosaur Jr were unbelievable. Mascis was so loud anyway, then he'd stamp on his 'solo' pedal and all other sound was obliterated by his guitar. My Bloody Valentine did the infamous never ending chord in the middle of You Made Me Realise. God knows how long it was. For the first couple of minutes you think 'This is awesome!' Then it starts to hurt....a few more minutes you really want it to stop and everybody is getting a bit freaked out. Eventually it takes you over completely and you don't want it to ever end. JAMC had a lot to do to headline after all that, but they were a class act back then 8) .


that show you were at sounds like it would have ruined me for anyother music forever. the only thing it sounds like it was missing was thurston moore.


Top
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Got Some
 Profile

Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 12:27 am
Posts: 1690
Location: panis et circensis
washing machine wrote:
i'm excited. i love buying records blindly.


I thought I was the only one :P

But yeah, Psychocandy is a great album. My cousin gave it to me about 2 years ago and I didn't really got into it until about 8 months ago or so. I think it takes a while to grow on you but has great songs and has a very special atmosphere.

_________________
Quote:
Alright end of the charade. Get the fuck out of here!


Top
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 12:21 am 
Offline
User avatar
Unthought Known
 Profile

Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2004 11:30 pm
Posts: 7110
Location: the Zoo.
Athletic Supporter wrote:
Great choice reidster.

_________________
tommymctom wrote:
If He willed it I would happily suck i_i's dick.


Top
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 12:30 am 
Offline
User avatar
Former PJ Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 4:01 am
Posts: 19477
Location: Brooklyn NY
Mick Stubbs wrote:
btw, I was at the tour of the U.K. headlined by the JAMC, supported by My Bloody Valentine, Dinosaur Jr, and errrrrrrr....Blur. Must have been around '92. Needless to say Blur didn't stand a chance. Damon jumped about with his willy out to compensate for their weedy sound and weak material. Wanker. Dinosaur Jr were unbelievable. Mascis was so loud anyway, then he'd stamp on his 'solo' pedal and all other sound was obliterated by his guitar. My Bloody Valentine did the infamous never ending chord in the middle of You Made Me Realise. God knows how long it was. For the first couple of minutes you think 'This is awesome!' Then it starts to hurt....a few more minutes you really want it to stop and everybody is getting a bit freaked out. Eventually it takes you over completely and you don't want it to ever end. JAMC had a lot to do to headline after all that, but they were a class act back then 8) .


That is fucking cool, we need more people like this posting in the forum

_________________
LittleWing sometime in July 2007 wrote:
Unfortunately, it's so elementary, and the big time investors behind the drive in the stock market aren't so stupid. This isn't the false economy of 2000.


Top
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 10:56 am 
Offline
Force of Nature
 Profile

Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2004 7:50 pm
Posts: 378
Location: UK
One of my favourite bands ever. Be sure to ckeck out Darklands aswell in the future. That will probably give you the urge to collect their whole catalogue. Honey's Dead is brilliant aswell, a great summer album.

Pyschocandy needs remastering though. :x


Top
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 2:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Supersonic
 Profile

Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:24 pm
Posts: 12990
Location: Ohio.
I downloaded Psychocandy a while ago but I still haven't listened to the entire thing. Dunno why. What I have listened to is good, I just haven't felt the urge to try and get through it again.


Top
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 3:22 pm 
Offline
Force of Nature
 Profile

Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2004 7:50 pm
Posts: 378
Location: UK
Just listen to "The Hardest Walk" track 4 a few times, you will then want to hear more and more of the Mary Chain after that. :wink:

The only dissapointment of Pyschocandy for me, is that the album should end with "Something's Wrong" rather than "It's So Hard".


Top
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 5:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Got Some
 Profile

Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 12:27 am
Posts: 1690
Location: panis et circensis
dyingonahilltop wrote:
I downloaded Psychocandy a while ago but I still haven't listened to the entire thing. Dunno why. What I have listened to is good, I just haven't felt the urge to try and get through it again.


Try to give it a calm, clear and focused listen. Those songs require a bit of attention and time. :wink:

_________________
Quote:
Alright end of the charade. Get the fuck out of here!


Top
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 6:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Former PJ Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 4:01 am
Posts: 19477
Location: Brooklyn NY
DirtyFrank wrote:
Just listen to "The Hardest Walk" track 4 a few times, you will then want to hear more and more of the Mary Chain after that. :wink:

The only dissapointment of Pyschocandy for me, is that the album should end with "Something's Wrong" rather than "It's So Hard".


Hardest Walk is my favorite song on the album

_________________
LittleWing sometime in July 2007 wrote:
Unfortunately, it's so elementary, and the big time investors behind the drive in the stock market aren't so stupid. This isn't the false economy of 2000.


Top
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Yeah Yeah Yeah
 Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:18 am
Posts: 3920
Location: Philadelphia
http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/page/news ... Albu#41299

Jesus & Mary Chain Add Reunion Gigs, Consider Album
Jim Reid on new JAMC LP: "Maybe."
While you were busy conceiving of the cleverest way to comprise your integrity on Craigslist for a Coachella ticket, the Jesus and Mary Chain went and announced two more reunion shows. After melting the Björk-ready masses in Indio, California on April 27, the brothers Reid and their Chain-gang will ship off to Spain for two Summercase festival gigs.

Presently comprised of Jim and William Reid, along with second guitarist Mark Crozer, bassist Phil King (ex-Lush), and drummer Laurence "Loz" Colbert (ex-Ride), the JAMC rock Madrid's Boadilla del Monte on July 13 and Barcelona's Parc del Forum on July 14. Along with Coachella, these gigs will be the band's first in nine years.

Said Jim Reid in a press release, "It's taken this long for me and William to get to a point where it would be realistic to [get back together], and to some degree each of us assumed the other wouldn't be interested, and it was only after we talked about it that we realised this. Also Coachella were very persistent."

These new gigs will also give the band a chance to redeem themselves following a disappointing final show. "The last Mary Chain gig was in 1998 and was such a bloody awful mess, too much drink, too many drugs, nobody seeing eye to eye on anything and the band just blew up, and I suppose you could say this is another good reason for our reformation, 'cause that was no way for the Mary Chain to end."

Does this mean we can expect more shows... and a new album?? "I really don't know," said Jim. "Maybe. I think we would like to and we're looking at another show or two."

For now, we can expect solo albums from each of the Reid brothers later this year.

JAMC reunion pilgrimage:

04-27 Indio, CA - Empire Polo Field (Coachella)
07-13 Madrid, Spain - Boadilla del Monte (Summercase)
07-14 Barcelona, Spain - Parc del Forum (Summercase)

_________________
I remember doing nothing on the night Sinatra died
And the night Jeff Buckley died
And the night Kurt Cobain died
And the night John Lennon died
I remember I stayed up to watch the news with everyone


Top
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Yeah Yeah Yeah
 Profile

Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2004 1:36 am
Posts: 5458
Location: Left field
Amazing band, "Making love on the edge of a knife" lyrics don't get much better.

_________________
seen it all, not at all
can't defend fucked up man
take me a for a ride before we leave...

Rise. Life is in motion...

don't it make you smile?
don't it make you smile?
when the sun don't shine? (shine at all)
don't it make you smile?

RIP


Top
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:41 am 
Offline
User avatar
Leak Inspector
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 5:25 pm
Posts: 35180
Location: Brasil
Gender: Male
Head On, Just like Honey, You Trip Me Up and April Skies are owning me right now

_________________
need you, dream you, find you, taste you, fuck you, use you, scar you, break you, lose me, hate me, smash me, erase me, kill me....


Top
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:00 am 
Offline
User avatar
Former PJ Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2004 5:51 am
Posts: 17078
Location: TX
Has anyone heard the remastered versions of Psychocandy and Darklands? I should be foaming at the mouth to hear them but I have just been so busy with other music. :?

_________________
George Washington wrote:
six foot twenty fucking killing for fun


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Other Bands


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Wed May 29, 2024 5:42 am