Board index » Word on the Street... » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 293 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mark Lanegan - Blues Funeral (February 6, 2012)
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:08 pm 
Got Some

VinylGuy wrote:
Gods' Die wrote:
dumbcharger wrote:
PHATJ wrote:
I know that I'm late to the party, but Blues Funeral is really a magnificent record.

Totally. I don't think it's better than Bubblegum but it's still great.

Not even close. But it definitely had interesting dynamics. A lot of em. I really don't think Lanegan has ever missed. At least not for many years.

the weakest material from his career comes from the screaming trees for me.

I really like their last two propers...I downloaded that one that came out a year ago but it received maybe two spins. So those two are the only ones I listen to. Some good songs populate em.

Come down off the cross we can use the wood.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:11 pm 
Ghostasauros

I don't have Bubblegum. :oops: I may have to download that today.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:36 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

PHATJ wrote:

you do that. right now.
dont come back until you have finished it, ok kid?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:41 am 
Winner: 2007+2009 Other Bands Cover Contest

stip wrote:
those are all songs that are supposed to be emotional, obviously, but there is still something almost mechanical about CC's performance, like someone is hitting a switch that says no hit these high notes and sing them loudly. I get very little variation in his singing for someone with such tremendous range.

It's a different kind of emotional singing though. It's not the kind of singing nessasarily where you say "man that guys knows just how I'm feeling". It doesn't mean it doesn't elicit an emotional response. It can still make you get chills or break out in a sweat. I just got done watching a Iron Maiden doc and there were people breaking down in tears after seeing them. If anyone has a mechanical voice it's Bruce Dickenson. There is a hugeness.....a epic quality to Cornell's singing, along with the other more "metal" singers that convey real intense emotion. It's just a different type. It's hard for me to explain.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:10 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

badabing wrote:
stip wrote:
those are all songs that are supposed to be emotional, obviously, but there is still something almost mechanical about CC's performance, like someone is hitting a switch that says no hit these high notes and sing them loudly. I get very little variation in his singing for someone with such tremendous range.

It's a different kind of emotional singing though. It's not the kind of singing nessasarily where you say "man that guys knows just how I'm feeling". It doesn't mean it doesn't elicit an emotional response. It can still make you get chills or break out in a sweat. I just got done watching a Iron Maiden doc and there were people breaking down in tears after seeing them. If anyone has a mechanical voice it's Bruce Dickenson. There is a hugeness.....a epic quality to Cornell's singing, along with the other more "metal" singers that convey real intense emotion. It's just a different type. It's hard for me to explain.

ive seen cornell live 3 times and one with temple of the dog at pj20...everytime was a unique performance..it was really something else. Few singers have that extra quality...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:14 pm 
Global Moderator

PHATJ wrote:

bubblegum is one of my all time favorite records by anyone. The companion EP (Here comes that weird chill) may be even better.

The perfect gift for certain occasions

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:40 pm 
Ghostasauros

VinylGuy wrote:
PHATJ wrote:

you do that. right now.
dont come back until you have finished it, ok kid?

stip wrote:
bubblegum is one of my all time favorite records by anyone. The companion EP (Here comes that weird chill) may be even better.

I will be picking Bubblegum up asap.

I had never had a lot of interest in Lanegan solo material until recently. I was not a huge fan of Screaming Trees. I didn't dislike them but I didn't really care about them either. I am not a fan of QOTSA, and I have never listened to The Gutter Twins. So naturally I didn't really give Lanegan's solo work much of a thought. Then, for I don't know what reason, I bought Blues Funeral when it came out last February. I think I listened to a few songs like one time each and basically forgot about the album. About a week or two ago I was reviewing the music I had purchased throughout this year and came across Blues Funeral and decided to give it a once through listen. Well that "once through" turned into two then three then four listens and I was blown away by the album. I am now curious to know if this is just a case of me enjoying one piece of work by an artist and not really feeling a connection to his other work or if I will find a new world of wonderful surprises waiting for me. The mystery awaits...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:52 pm 
Force of Nature

VinylGuy wrote:
the weakest material from his career comes from the screaming trees for me.

I'm with you there. I really love Winding Sheet and Whiskey the most though. Winding Sheet has this really amazing spooky kinda feel even though the song writing isn't fully developed but on Whiskey he hits his stride in the song writing and with better production.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:55 pm 
Force of Nature

PHATJ wrote:
I will be picking Bubblegum up asap.

I had never had a lot of interest in Lanegan solo material until recently. I was not a huge fan of Screaming Trees. I didn't dislike them but I didn't really care about them either. I am not a fan of QOTSA, and I have never listened to The Gutter Twins. So naturally I didn't really give Lanegan's solo work much of a thought. Then, for I don't know what reason, I bought Blues Funeral when it came out last February. I think I listened to a few songs like one time each and basically forgot about the album. About a week or two ago I was reviewing the music I had purchased throughout this year and came across Blues Funeral and decided to give it a once through listen. Well that "once through" turned into two then three then four listens and I was blown away by the album. I am now curious to know if this is just a case of me enjoying one piece of work by an artist and not really feeling a connection to his other work or if I will find a new world of wonderful surprises waiting for me. The mystery awaits...

I'd suggest Whiskey for the Holy Ghost after Bubblegum. Bubblegum dragged the songs into having a current sound whilst the previous albums have more of a traditional less period/dated feel.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:16 am 
Global Moderator

yeah whiskey is a great place to go next. song for song it's probably his best, too.

The 80s trees stuff is practically unlistenable unless you just want to see where Mark came from. It does make the winding sheet, an album I'm not crazy about, much more interesting by way of contrast. And Uncle Anesthesia (the record Cornell produced) has some pretty good songs on them (including one where they're really channeling REM--Lay Your Head Down), but it sounds more like a bunch of demos than a fleshed out album.

Sweet Oblivion and Dust are both amazing records. They're just fantastic, and as good as any of Lanegan's solo material. Sweet Oblivion is probably the most grunge album of the grunge genre, and Dust is great psychedelic arena rock. it's a very 70s record written with a junkie's sensibility.

Their final album is pretty bad though. The trees were right to break up when they did

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:31 am 
Force of Nature

stip wrote:
yeah whiskey is a great place to go next. song for song it's probably his best, too.

The 80s trees stuff is practically unlistenable unless you just want to see where Mark came from. It does make the winding sheet, an album I'm not crazy about, much more interesting by way of contrast. And Uncle Anesthesia (the record Cornell produced) has some pretty good songs on them (including one where they're really channeling REM--Lay Your Head Down), but it sounds more like a bunch of demos than a fleshed out album.

Sweet Oblivion and Dust are both amazing records. They're just fantastic, and as good as any of Lanegan's solo material. Sweet Oblivion is probably the most grunge album of the grunge genre, and Dust is great psychedelic arena rock. it's a very 70s record written with a junkie's sensibility.

Their final album is pretty bad though. The trees were right to break up when they did

I never actually got around to listening to to the last Tree's album when it finally came out. I was quite partial to Dust though.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:34 am 
Global Moderator

dumbcharger wrote:
stip wrote:

I never actually got around to listening to to the last Tree's album when it finally came out. I was quite partial to Dust though.

there are a few decent songs (revelator, crawl space, anita gray, low life) but it's mostly a HUGE step back from dust. And nothing on the album is great. Worth hearing a few times if you are a completest. The best song from that session (I think it was that session) was One Way Conversation and it didn't even make the album

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:14 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

stip wrote:
dumbcharger wrote:
stip wrote:

there are a few decent songs (revelator, crawl space, anita gray, low life) but it's mostly a HUGE step back from dust. And nothing on the album is great. Worth hearing a few times if you are a completest. The best song from that session (I think it was that session) was One Way Conversation and it didn't even make the album

I love Dust...really great record, everyone shine there..Barret Martin is a monster on most of the songs, the brothers are great, Mike has a great cameo...but that´s about it...Lanegan solo records are great, all of them, its all great material.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:28 am 
Force of Nature

I'd also recommend the recordings of Mike Johnson who was Lanegan's collaborator (and ex-Dinosaur Jr bassist) on the first 5 records. I Feel Alright is quite a good starting point for Johnson from memory.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:41 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

dumbcharger wrote:
I'd also recommend the recordings of Mike Johnson who was Lanegan's collaborator (and ex-Dinosaur Jr bassist) on the first 5 records. I Feel Alright is quite a good starting point for Johnson from memory.

One of Lanegan`s talents re his colaborators...the man sure know how to choose his musicians...mike johnson, ben sheperd, alain johainns, josh homme, pj harvey...not only in his solo career but his colaborations are great too.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:53 am 
$5 Donation Gets Custom Title

dumbcharger wrote:
I'd also recommend the recordings of Mike Johnson who was Lanegan's collaborator (and ex-Dinosaur Jr bassist) on the first 5 records.

YES. Year Of Mondays, despite the kind of goofy title, is an epic album. I love the shit out of that thing.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:31 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

According to Grunge report, Mark has a christmas record in his merch table at his shows as well as some DVD with recordings from tv and sessions....Both sound awesome.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:22 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

I'm seeing him again on 23 December. Can't wait.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:59 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Angus wrote:
I'm seeing him again on 23 December. Can't wait.

Great, his show here was amazingly good. Cant wait to hear the 3 songs he made for the Box set of Mad Season.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:51 pm 
Banned from the Pit

lanegan does christmas

https://rapidshare.com/#!download|475p4 ... |36217|0|0

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 293 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Other Bands