Board index » Word on the Street... » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 293 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mark Lanegan - Blues Funeral (February 6, 2012)
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:48 am 
$5 Donation Gets Custom Title

DeLima wrote:
zeb wrote:
I wish Leviathan was on the next Queens record.

It's true queens would stomp the shit out of that song live.

Yeah, he shoulda given that one to the Queens.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:15 pm 
Force of Nature

DeLima wrote:
i'm hoping for some extended 10-minutish versions of bleeding muddy water when they start playing live.

I thought it was already 3 minutes too long. I mean, really, what places does this song go to that deserves 6 1/2 minutes? It's a really good 3-4 minute song, but after that it becomes a drinking game to every time he says "muddy water".

I'm not hearing "POP" at all on here, stip. There are some U2 influences ("Harborview", obviously), but nothing that distinctly reminds me of that record. For all your talk that hearing crappy rips won't diminish the ultimate perception of a record, my intense search for "Pop" in all places of this record has left me let down on a record I'd otherwise be enjoying without reservations. You bastard! :x

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:45 pm 
Got Some

Currently downloading the 320kbs rip off the interwebs.

Come down off the cross we can use the wood.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:57 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

His voice sounds amazing as always.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:05 pm 
Got Some

track12 wrote:
DeLima wrote:
i'm hoping for some extended 10-minutish versions of bleeding muddy water when they start playing live.

I thought it was already 3 minutes too long. I mean, really, what places does this song go to that deserves 6 1/2 minutes? It's a really good 3-4 minute song, but after that it becomes a drinking game to every time he says "muddy water".

I'm not hearing "POP" at all on here, stip. There are some U2 influences ("Harborview", obviously), but nothing that distinctly reminds me of that record. For all your talk that hearing crappy rips won't diminish the ultimate perception of a record, my intense search for "Pop" in all places of this record has left me let down on a record I'd otherwise be enjoying without reservations. You bastard! :x

Bleeding Muddy Water is not only Lanegan's When the Levee Breaks, it's also his Cortez the Killer. It's hypnotic. Best song on the album and as good as anything off Bubblegum. That said, that would be a fun drinking game.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:43 pm 
Got Some

http://exclaim.ca/MusicVideo/ClickHear/ ... bum_stream

Streaming here

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:00 pm 
Global Moderator

DeLima wrote:
track12 wrote:
DeLima wrote:

Bleeding Muddy Water is not only Lanegan's When the Levee Breaks, it's also his Cortez the Killer. It's hypnotic. Best song on the album and as good as anything off Bubblegum. That said, that would be a fun drinking game.

Lets not go nuts

The perfect gift for certain occasions

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:21 pm 
Got Some

stip wrote:
DeLima wrote:
track12 wrote:
DeLima wrote:

Lets not go nuts

What's better on Bubblegum? Morning Glory Wine, maybe Willie John, maybe Wedding Dress.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:04 pm 
Force of Nature

Actually, I was wrong about Harborview. That is as close to a National song as it gets. It basically could have been on their last album.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:50 pm 
Global Moderator

DeLima wrote:
stip wrote:
DeLima wrote:
track12 wrote:
DeLima wrote:

Lets not go nuts

What's better on Bubblegum? Morning Glory Wine, maybe Willie John, maybe Wedding Dress.

Morning Glory Wine, Willie John, Wedding Dress, Strange Religion, 10,000 Days I think are all better. Plus Sideways in Reverse and Meth Blues. It's too early to say since we have to see how it ages. But Bubblegum is an album for the ages. This one is really good, and Bleeding Muddy Water is a really good song in spite of its lyrics. But I am not ready to call this his masterwork just yet

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:00 pm 
Got Some

stip wrote:
DeLima wrote:
stip wrote:
DeLima wrote:
track12 wrote:
DeLima wrote:

Lets not go nuts

Morning Glory Wine, Willie John, Wedding Dress, Strange Religion, 10,000 Days I think are all better. Plus Sideways in Reverse and Meth Blues. It's too early to say since we have to see how it ages. But Bubblegum is an album for the ages. This one is really good, and Bleeding Muddy Water is a really good song in spite of its lyrics. But I am not ready to call this his masterwork just yet

I hear ya. I like the lyrics to Bleeding Muddy Water, though. I agree that there is a higher concentration of cheesy lyrics on this album than on pretty much any other lanegan album

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:24 pm 
Leak Inspector
 WWW  Profile

quiver syndrome is fuckin awesome

i will say again, HARBORVIEW HOSPITAL

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:48 pm 
Leak Inspector
 WWW  Profile

im trying to rank this thing, just for the lolz, but its hard, there are so many tunes that i like equally right now

graveddiger
harborview hospital
quiver syndrome
st. louis elegy
phantasmagoria
muddy watter
grey goes black
leviathan
deep black
tiny grain
riot in my house
ode to sad disco

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:06 pm 
Got Some

how are we feeling about the disco song? did he pull it off? i say yes - but there are a couple of shaky moments.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:07 pm 
Leak Inspector
 WWW  Profile

its not bad, but im not feelin it

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:09 pm 
Got Some

psychobain wrote:

in harborview hospital, the "are they supposed to be / as sick as you and me" line is awesome.

and quiver syndrome kicks ass

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:20 am 
Global Moderator

DeLima wrote:
psychobain wrote:

in harborview hospital, the "are they supposed to be / as sick as you and me" line is awesome.

and quiver syndrome kicks ass

that is one of the best lyrics on there.

I think sad disco is too long, but a pretty good song

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:39 am 

The Mirrored remake is not as good as the original.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:42 am 
Got Some

zeb wrote:

well, it's up against some stiff competition.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:47 am 

DeLima wrote:
zeb wrote:

well, it's up against some stiff competition.

True.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 293 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 15  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Other Bands