Board index » Word on the Street... » Other Bands

Post subject: Re: Fiona Apple - The Idler Wheel ....(06/19/12)
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:20 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

durdencommatyler wrote:
Having never seen her before, I'm not sure what to expect. Good to hear that the tour has been getting good buzz. I haven't looked into it at all. Kinda looking forward to the element of surprise.

i guess Fiona is one of those unpredictable artists, but its been a while since she fucked up a live show i guess.
Please tell me later how was the show.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:23 pm 
Supersonic

Will do, sir.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:54 pm 
Supersonic

Unreal show last night.

Whatever I expected, I didn't expect the show that we got. She was unbound - all over the stage, dancing, crawling, twisting and distorting herself. At certain points she just leaned her back against her grand piano, faced her guitar player, and gyrated like the guitar solo was giving her the best fuck of her life. She was hungry and angry, and then immediately vulnerable; always sincere and direct. I did expect that, I did expect heart-on-sleeve Fiona. But the rest of it...

And the band was LOUD. Crunchy, explosive, masterful. One of the best rock shows I've ever seen. The show was so good that I'm not sure I ever want to see her live again. Why mess with the impression she left? No need. I was hungry for Fiona Apple and she fed me until I burst. She and her band will keep me satiated for a long, long time.

Here's the setlist:

Fast as You Can
On the Bound
Shadowboxer
Paper Bag
Anything We Want
Get Gone
Periphery
Sleep to Dream
Extraordinary Machine
Werewolf
Left Alone
I Know
Tymps (The Sick in the Head Song)
Daredevil
Not About Love
It's Only Make Believe (Conway Twitty cover)

Honestly, I can't say enough about how pleasantly surprised, how blown away I was by the show. I had so much fun. Fiona Apple puts on a devastating and enlightening show. Go see her if you can. Hell, go see her even if you can't. You won't regret it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:02 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

durdencommatyler wrote:
Unreal show last night.

Whatever I expected, I didn't expect the show that we got. She was unbound - all over the stage, dancing, crawling, twisting and distorting herself. At certain points she just leaned her back against her grand piano, faced her guitar player, and gyrated like the guitar solo was giving her the best fuck of her life. She was hungry and angry, and then immediately vulnerable; always sincere and direct. I did expect that, I did expect heart-on-sleeve Fiona. But the rest of it...

And the band was LOUD. Crunchy, explosive, masterful. One of the best rock shows I've ever seen. The show was so good that I'm not sure I ever want to see her live again. Why mess with the impression she left? No need. I was hungry for Fiona Apple and she fed me until I burst. She and her band will keep me satiated for a long, long time.

Here's the setlist:

Fast as You Can
On the Bound
Shadowboxer
Paper Bag
Anything We Want
Get Gone
Periphery
Sleep to Dream
Extraordinary Machine
Werewolf
Left Alone
I Know
Tymps (The Sick in the Head Song)
Daredevil
Not About Love
It's Only Make Believe (Conway Twitty cover)

Honestly, I can't say enough about how pleasantly surprised, how blown away I was by the show. I had so much fun. Fiona Apple puts on a devastating and enlightening show. Go see her if you can. Hell, go see her even if you can't. You won't regret it.

Nice...the setlist looks awesome and your description...well that pretty much what i expect from a Fiona Apple show.
Hope to get my turn this year here, seems like an amazing show.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:19 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

I haven't heard enough of Fiona Apple. Is Shadowboxer an original or cover?

Remembered to ask dude that I hung with most of party night if he had any idea why I had a large (fist-sized) purple bruise on my chest. He said he remembers "OW!" but that's it. Guess I'll never know.

Trades.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:21 pm 
Got Some

Varis wrote:
I haven't heard enough of Fiona Apple. Is Shadowboxer an original or cover?

Original, from her first album. Her first single released.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:57 pm 
Supersonic

The only song from Tidal that I really, really wanted to hear was Sleep To Dream. It was one of the highlights.

The only song from the new album that I HAD to hear was Daredevil. Another easy highlight.

I wasn't sure if she'd play much from When The Pawn... And I didn't care what she played from it. I was gonna be thrilled to hear ANY of it. Obviously, I was pleased as punch with the setlist.

Can't believe she played so much from When The Pawn...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:45 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

durdencommatyler wrote:
The only song from Tidal that I really, really wanted to hear was Sleep To Dream. It was one of the highlights.

The only song from the new album that I HAD to hear was Daredevil. Another easy highlight.

I wasn't sure if she'd play much from When The Pawn... And I didn't care what she played from it. I was gonna be thrilled to hear ANY of it. Obviously, I was pleased as punch with the setlist.

I became a Fiona fan with When the pawn...at the time it was released, i was very into Portishead and some other stuff, and i knew her because of MTV but had mistaken her as an alanis wannabe. Boy i was wrong.
When i put that cd...fuck that thing was good.
huge fan since then.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:49 am 
Supersonic

VinylGuy wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

I became a Fiona fan with When the pawn...at the time it was released, i was very into Portishead and some other stuff, and i knew her because of MTV but had mistaken her as an alanis wannabe. Boy i was wrong.
huge fan since then.

When The Pawn is one of the best albums of its decade. Easy. And probably still my personal favorite Fiona album.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:53 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

durdencommatyler wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

huge fan since then.

When The Pawn is one of the best albums of its decade. Easy. And probably still my personal favorite Fiona album.

yeah i think its one of the bests records of all time...and yes, its really her best work.
Do you like the new one?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:56 am 
Supersonic

VinylGuy wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

huge fan since then.

yeah i think its one of the bests records of all time...and yes, its really her best work.
Do you like the new one?

I do, yes. Very much. And it grows on me with each listen. Hearing the songs in a live context last night helped it out a lot, too. Right now, it's #3 on my Fiona list, but it's gaining rapid ground. It's possible that a few more listens get it into that #2 spot.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:46 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

durdencommatyler wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

huge fan since then.

Do you like the new one?

I do, yes. Very much. And it grows on me with each listen. Hearing the songs in a live context last night helped it out a lot, too. Right now, it's #3 on my Fiona list, but it's gaining rapid ground. It's possible that a few more listens get it into that #2 spot.

i think is a masterpiece...still dont know if its better than EM, because its been a long time since i listened to it, but i was blown away with the new one.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:04 am 
Coast to Coast

VinylGuy wrote:
Nice...the setlist looks awesome and your description...well that pretty much what i expect from a Fiona Apple show.

I think I'm going, but I hate that it's in a festival. The rest of the line-up isn't that great. I wish she did a solo show at La Trastienda or something like that. Instead she's opening for Illya Kuryaki :?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:35 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

theplatypus wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:

I think I'm going, but I hate that it's in a festival. The rest of the line-up isn't that great. I wish she did a solo show at La Trastienda or something like that. Instead she's opening for Illya Kuryaki :?

Im glad she is coming i dont care where she plays, for an artist like her that rarely tours and records to finally came here...its amazing...besides the fact that i ve been waiting for her since 1999? who knows...i get what you mean but if i had to choose then i prefer her playing at my terrace. :D
i dont think she will be opening for them, i think they will be in two different stages but, again, i dont really care who is playing that night.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:54 pm 
Coast to Coast

Her BA show was canceled. :(

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:59 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

theplatypus wrote:
Her BA show was canceled. :(

because her dog is ill...can´t say i blame her...Although im fucking sad.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:37 pm 
Coast to Coast

Definitely understandable, and the letter she posted is very touching. Still, disappointing.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:06 pm 
Got Some

theplatypus wrote:
Definitely understandable, and the letter she posted is very touching. Still, disappointing.

The letter she posted made me weep like a little bitch.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:10 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

I guess I should listen to this

durdencommatyler wrote:
iPones, man. Fuck.

Proud member of: Team Binaural and Team Argo

Board index » Word on the Street... » Other Bands