Board index » Word on the Street... » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Stone Temple Pilots -2012 tour-
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:18 pm 
AnalLog

lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
warehouse wrote:
warehouse wrote:
62strat wrote:
I just realized im in an STP thread. Out.

time to find that belle and sebastion thread huh?

Great band.

shocking turn of events

You looking for a fight, bro?

thodoks jr over here

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:19 pm 
statistically insignificant

thodoks wrote:
i saw this thread flare its lats from all the way over at the disturbed board

Welcome back. What's your favorite STP track?

they all sound equally amazing when i'm peaking on a bench press, bro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:20 pm 
trying to make a career out of postwhoring

warehouse wrote:
warehouse wrote:
warehouse wrote:
62strat wrote:
I just realized im in an STP thread. Out.

time to find that belle and sebastion thread huh?

Great band.

shocking turn of events

You looking for a fight, bro?

thodoks jr over here

Say that to my face.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:22 pm 
AnalLog

ill see you on octogon street!!!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:23 pm 
trying to make a career out of postwhoring

warehouse wrote:
ill see you on octogon street!!!

I can't I think section is still waiting for me there :? .

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:31 am 
Got Some

Back to general discussion and pj chat, fuckers! Hijack one of Dev's threads and let vinylguy and i discuss stp here.

Concert is 2 days away! I would love to hear surrender. The 90s band paw did a cool version of it on the sfw soundtrack.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:50 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

inglishteecher wrote:
Back to general discussion and pj chat, fuckers! Hijack one of Dev's threads and let vinylguy and i discuss stp here.

Concert is 2 days away! I would love to hear surrender. The 90s band paw did a cool version of it on the sfw soundtrack.

That´s great...please post something after the show...Scott seems to be doing fine live at least but i wanna hear what you see.
I don´t think they´ll do surrender again, but im sure meatplow and black again are going to be played.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:03 am 
Got Some

to vinyl guy and possibly lowlight,

the show in minnesota actually took place in the st. paul subrurb of maplewood at a club called the myth. it's the smallest venue i've seen stp play, but the show was well-attended.

if you've seen a setlist tour, you know they open strong - sin, vasoline, crackerman. the crowd was as close to a frenzy as it was going to get. they followed those up with hollywood bitch and hickory dicotomy. hb was the first song where it was obvious that most of the people in the crowd really only knew core and the hits from purple.

weiland was quite talkative and incredibly coherent. i've been fortunate to never see a notorious weiland performance. tonight he was so normal he was downright boring. he still writhed around here and there, but when he talked between songs, it was ball-achingly dull. he talked about the clothes on 3 separate occasions. two of them were fairly long stories too.

after hd, they did meatplow, which was deservedly well-received. still remains followed. it's my favorite stp song - so much so that it was the first dance song for my wife and i at our wedding. anyway, maybe it was the venue, but it looked like most people just tolerated it. two more slow songs - big empty and black again - came after it. even though big empty is a hit, the high fiving motherfuckers were getting restless for some rock songs.

so stp did between the lines. i love their self-titled album. but i don't think too many people are even familiar with it. essentially, there was a good 20 minute piss break for most of the crowd. they then went interstate and plush back to back. interstate benefited from the small venue. it always seems so underwhelming in big places. plush felt like a monster. i never thought i'd say this, but it was the highlight of the night for me. i'm 35 now. it brought me back to being 15. the entire crowd belted out the nonsensical lyrics, and for 5 or 6 minutes, stp felt like the biggest band in the world.

the set closed with 3 tiny music songs - tumble, big bang, and trippin. it might be only my opinion, but i don't think tiny music songs sound right live. dean's solo in tripping is still fun, but that's about it.

for the encore they closed with unglued and sex type thing. both sounded great and left the crowd feeling satisfied.

complaints:
between every song was a sloppy mess. it would be nice to see some transitions.
set length. 17 songs? come on. they have 6 albums and a ticket was $50. anything less than 20 is unacceptable.
not one song from no. 4 was played. that album is in a tie with purple for favorite stp album. all 5 stp shows i've been to have been post-no. 4. i have heard 4 songs from it.
my ears aren't ringing at all. i hate when a show is too loud, but this one was actually too quiet.

what i liked best about the show was that the band seemed to be getting along great. weiland seemed genuinely happy to be there and even reminisced about their first gig in the state. it made me think that a 7th album might happen. at the same time, i don't think too many people are interested in a 7th album. stp is a nostalgia act at this point, and it's their own fault. they have 6 solid albums, but for the past 20 years, they've been on the core tour. now that's all everyone wants. if they played church on tuesday or glide, would more than a dozen people even know them? i'm selfishly hoping for one more album, but i feel like this band is at the end of the line.

as i left the venue, i got the feeling i just saw my last stp show. i expect to see weiland solo again some day, and that's fine by me. of all the various performances i've seen (5 stp, 2 vr, 2 solo), the second solo show is easily my favorite. who knows, though? sugar ray recently toured with everclear, lit, marcy playground, and gin blossoms. i can see stp headlining something like that with cracker, candlebox, the toadies, and 1/2 of the original bush.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:35 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

inglishteecher wrote:
to vinyl guy and possibly lowlight,

the show in minnesota actually took place in the st. paul subrurb of maplewood at a club called the myth. it's the smallest venue i've seen stp play, but the show was well-attended.

if you've seen a setlist tour, you know they open strong - sin, vasoline, crackerman. the crowd was as close to a frenzy as it was going to get. they followed those up with hollywood bitch and hickory dicotomy. hb was the first song where it was obvious that most of the people in the crowd really only knew core and the hits from purple.

weiland was quite talkative and incredibly coherent. i've been fortunate to never see a notorious weiland performance. tonight he was so normal he was downright boring. he still writhed around here and there, but when he talked between songs, it was ball-achingly dull. he talked about the clothes on 3 separate occasions. two of them were fairly long stories too.

after hd, they did meatplow, which was deservedly well-received. still remains followed. it's my favorite stp song - so much so that it was the first dance song for my wife and i at our wedding. anyway, maybe it was the venue, but it looked like most people just tolerated it. two more slow songs - big empty and black again - came after it. even though big empty is a hit, the high fiving motherfuckers were getting restless for some rock songs.

so stp did between the lines. i love their self-titled album. but i don't think too many people are even familiar with it. essentially, there was a good 20 minute piss break for most of the crowd. they then went interstate and plush back to back. interstate benefited from the small venue. it always seems so underwhelming in big places. plush felt like a monster. i never thought i'd say this, but it was the highlight of the night for me. i'm 35 now. it brought me back to being 15. the entire crowd belted out the nonsensical lyrics, and for 5 or 6 minutes, stp felt like the biggest band in the world.

the set closed with 3 tiny music songs - tumble, big bang, and trippin. it might be only my opinion, but i don't think tiny music songs sound right live. dean's solo in tripping is still fun, but that's about it.

for the encore they closed with unglued and sex type thing. both sounded great and left the crowd feeling satisfied.

complaints:
between every song was a sloppy mess. it would be nice to see some transitions.
set length. 17 songs? come on. they have 6 albums and a ticket was $50. anything less than 20 is unacceptable.
not one song from no. 4 was played. that album is in a tie with purple for favorite stp album. all 5 stp shows i've been to have been post-no. 4. i have heard 4 songs from it.
my ears aren't ringing at all. i hate when a show is too loud, but this one was actually too quiet.

what i liked best about the show was that the band seemed to be getting along great. weiland seemed genuinely happy to be there and even reminisced about their first gig in the state. it made me think that a 7th album might happen. at the same time, i don't think too many people are interested in a 7th album. stp is a nostalgia act at this point, and it's their own fault. they have 6 solid albums, but for the past 20 years, they've been on the core tour. now that's all everyone wants. if they played church on tuesday or glide, would more than a dozen people even know them? i'm selfishly hoping for one more album, but i feel like this band is at the end of the line.

as i left the venue, i got the feeling i just saw my last stp show. i expect to see weiland solo again some day, and that's fine by me. of all the various performances i've seen (5 stp, 2 vr, 2 solo), the second solo show is easily my favorite. who knows, though? sugar ray recently toured with everclear, lit, marcy playground, and gin blossoms. i can see stp headlining something like that with cracker, candlebox, the toadies, and 1/2 of the original bush.

wow that sounds bitter...im sure the show was great, and i understand you..its like every stp fan wants more from them, than just play the hits....and then most of the crowd would like only some songs.
I dont see them as a nostalgia act..faith no more, the pixies....they are more nostalgic than stp....i guess this band has been through a lot of fights to really come to terms of actually learning and rehearsing some other songs.
Im very pleased and surprised they are doing meatplow, black again, tumble and unglued in this tour....hope they do some more "new" ones, specially from their last 2 records.
Sometimes i think people push STP so hard...i mean their career is perfect, all their records are great and live they are a monster.
Anyway, im glad you have a good time, and to hear they seem to get along fine , yeah it would be nice to have a new album.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:42 pm 
Mike's Maniac

Damn, thanks for the review. I can't believe they didn't play a single song off No.4. I think the last time I saw them was back on the Shangri La Dee Da tour and they played Atlanta which blew away the venue. The biggest complanit I heard is that the shows have been to short. And the fact that they say all the time that they are gonna do something different and every tour turns into a greatest hits tour. But the ending the main set with three Tiny Music songs sound awesome.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:42 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

lowlight79 wrote:
Damn, thanks for the review. I can't believe they didn't play a single song off No.4. I think the last time I saw them was back on the Shangri La Dee Da tour and they played Atlanta which blew away the venue. The biggest complanit I heard is that the shows have been to short. And the fact that they say all the time that they are gonna do something different and every tour turns into a greatest hits tour. But the ending the main set with three Tiny Music songs sound awesome.
ç

yeah that´s weird...those records get forgotten so much..n4 has some great songs; down , heaven & hot rods, sour girl, sex & violence, no way out, glide, atlanta...they should play all of those in their tours.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:19 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

seeing Scott in december...im not sure what to expect, but so far the setlists were amazing..here the setlist from New york

Opening Jam
Crackerman
Paralysis
Killing Me Sweetly
Black Again
Desperation #5
Mockingbird Girl
First Kiss On Mars
Do It For The Kids
California Jam/ mountain song
Art School Girl
Can’t Stand Me Now
Lounge Fly
Barbarella
Vasoline
Unglued

i mean...art school girl?? black again?? First kiss on mars?...barbarella, desperation 5....great stuff right there.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:56 pm 
Unthought Known

VinylGuy wrote:
seeing Scott in december...im not sure what to expect, but so far the setlists were amazing..here the setlist from New york

Opening Jam
Crackerman
Paralysis
Killing Me Sweetly
Black Again
Desperation #5
Mockingbird Girl
First Kiss On Mars
Do It For The Kids
California Jam/ mountain song
Art School Girl
Can’t Stand Me Now
Lounge Fly
Barbarella
Vasoline
Unglued

i mean...art school girl?? black again?? First kiss on mars?...barbarella, desperation 5....great stuff right there.

I read that Scott was unhappy in STP because Dean Deleo is open to remaining a nostaglia act and playing stock hits only setlists from now on. Apparently because crowds don't react as well to deep cuts, Dean just wants to play the tried and true songs and thats boring the shit out of Weiland, as he's been pushing for a quick Velvet Revolver reunion. Slash said he's more fond of Scott when he's not in a band with him and he's content to do his own thing with Myles Kennedy.

So if Scott's playing all kinds of weird shit live on solo gigs, that might be why. I for one would love to see STP again (only saw them once in 2000 during a festival and it was a quick hour long set of hits) and hear them actually play their newer material and lesser known music.

And I'd also like an Army of Anyone sequel. I'm a big Filter fan and I love Dean's guitar work so its a win-win in my head.

"Remember back the early days when you were young and thus amazed."

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:59 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

I always remember Art School Girl as the song that taught me what drugs could really do to a musician.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:03 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

washing machine wrote:
I always remember Art School Girl as the song that taught me what drugs could really do to a musician.

in a good way? that song is great.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:09 am 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

Yeah, I like that song. It made me uncomfortable as a sheltered fourteen year old, though.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:03 pm 
Unthought Known

Apparently Slash was asked about working with Weiland again and Weiland's recent interest in starting up Velvet Revolver again and Slash said it was because Weiland's been fired from Stone Temple Pilots.

"Remember back the early days when you were young and thus amazed."

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:28 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Riot Actor 25 wrote:
Apparently Slash was asked about working with Weiland again and Weiland's recent interest in starting up Velvet Revolver again and Slash said it was because Weiland's been fired from Stone Temple Pilots.

Yeah, and then they denied that. Scott interest in VR seem very money driven, and he recently said STP is on a hiatus until the creativity flows again.
I hope they make another record and tour behind it playing those songs.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:00 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

washing machine wrote:
Yeah, I like that song. It made me uncomfortable as a sheltered fourteen year old, though.

The a capella passage during the bridge is eerily reminiscent of part of the melody to "Shattered Dreams" by Johnny Hates Jazz.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:10 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Kevin Davis wrote:
washing machine wrote:

The a capella passage during the bridge is eerily reminiscent of part of the melody to "Shattered Dreams" by Johnny Hates Jazz.

Its a great song, and the fact they havent play it live ever shows how little band interaction they seem to have.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Other Bands