Board index » Word on the Street... » Other Bands

Post subject: Deftones - Koi No Yokan (November 13)
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:02 pm 
Got Some

I couldn't find a thread already for their new album.
I'm really liking the first 2 songs, especially Leathers.

Post subject: Re: Deftones - Koi No Yokan (November 13)
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:52 pm 
Force of Nature
 WWW  Profile

Good stuff - I really like these guys.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:57 am 
Force of Nature

This and Soundgarden on the 13th will be the first new CDs I've picked up in a while. The 'Tones were amazing when I saw them at Lupos last year. From the sound of the single, they are going to nail this shit.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:27 pm 
The Snowboy

I like these songs, mostly. I don't like the chorus of 'Tempest' much. And I'm always a bit unsurprised by Deftones. But yeah, they're OK.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:13 am 
Got Some

i thought Diamond Eyes was great, and i'm impressed so far by these 2 songs... i like that 15+ years in, they're still making great stuff... it seemed like they were on a downward trajectory with Self Titled and Saturday Night Wrist, so i'm looking forward to this release.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:22 pm 
The Snowboy

I liked Self-Titled and Saturday Night Wrist quite a lot. They've never done a bad album, but at the same time, they've not done anything very surprising or different for a long time now. Self-Titled was different. 'Minerva' and 'Hexogram' are two of my favourite Deftones songs. 'Tempest' here sounds very stereotypical nu-metal to me; that chord structure must've been played a million times. (What chord structure hasn't, you say? Well yes, but the criticism still stands.)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:12 pm 
Force of Nature
 WWW  Profile

I've also enjoyed all of their albums even though there isn't anything surprising or out of the box - they consistently make good records. Even the B-Sides compilation was really good. I'm looking forward to the new one.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:55 pm 
Got Some

Harmless wrote:
I liked Self-Titled and Saturday Night Wrist quite a lot. They've never done a bad album, but at the same time, they've not done anything very surprising or different for a long time now. Self-Titled was different. 'Minerva' and 'Hexogram' are two of my favourite Deftones songs. 'Tempest' here sounds very stereotypical nu-metal to me; that chord structure must've been played a million times. (What chord structure hasn't, you say? Well yes, but the criticism still stands.)

i absolutely love quite a few songs on both self-titled and SNW, but i also find those albums to have some of the weakest songs in their catalogue, so that's probably why they are my least favourite.

i disagree with 'Tempest' sounding stereotypical nu-metal.. for some reason i feel it sounds a lot like White Pony era deftones (i can't think of a specific song it sounds like, but i feel it could fit in with the songs from that album).

but you're absolutely right, they're not a band that's going to really break any ground with any of their stuff (although some would argue that White Pony was "groundbreaking" at the time, considering where they came from and the scene they were a part of)... they have their formula, but i still find they do it well, and they still keep it fresh enough that it's not entirely derivative (if that makes sense). in that sense, i find them similar to pearl jam. it is unlikely that there will be anything shocking on the new album, and you pretty much know what to expect in terms of the types of songs that will make up the album.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:18 am 
Cameron's Stallion

Really liking this one so far. Again, nothing mind blowing, but solid. Besides the previously released songs Rosemary, Gauze and Goon Squad stood out to me.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:35 am 
Got Some

some say the album they shelved "Eros" is quite different than the rest but we may never know

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:24 am 
Force of Nature

Hmmm. This will take a few listens to sink in. Too much going on, it's in one ear and out the other on first listen. Good, though. In the same league as Diamond Eyes.

I didn't go see them in Boston last week since the set looked pretty much the same as last year, except for 2 or 3 from the new one. That's always awkward when a band plays shows right before an album comes out. Maybe they booked the tour back when they thought the album would come out earlier.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:30 am 
Force of Nature

deep wrote:
some say the album they shelved "Eros" is quite different than the rest but we may never know

They are probably saving it for if Chi ever recovers fully. I imagine there are a lot of tough emotions wrapped up in that one, as they were still working on it when he had the accident.

I'd highly recommend the band Quicksand to all Deftones fans. They put out 2 awesome albums, then broke up. Now the bass player Sergio Vega is in Deftones. Chino has always been a fan, and they played together back in the day (I think), so it's proven to be a good fit. He seemed really into it at the show I saw last year.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:50 am 
The Snowboy

I thought both the singles were average, and Tempest's chorus was really bad. I wouldn't mind listening to the album but I'm not going to look for it. I liked Diamond Eyes quite a bit, but still for whatever reason didn't listen to it much. But that's more to do with life getting in the way than not liking the album... I'm pretty certain it's better than this one.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:40 pm 
Johnny Guitar

executed anyhow wrote:
deep wrote:

They are probably saving it for if Chi ever recovers fully. I imagine there are a lot of tough emotions wrapped up in that one, as they were still working on it when he had the accident.

I'd highly recommend the band Quicksand to all Deftones fans. They put out 2 awesome albums, then broke up. Now the bass player Sergio Vega is in Deftones. Chino has always been a fan, and they played together back in the day (I think), so it's proven to be a good fit. He seemed really into it at the show I saw last year.

Quicksand is amazing. "Slip" destroys.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:04 pm 
The Snowboy

If anyone could PM me with a safe link, I'd be much obliged.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:03 pm 
The Snowboy

I streamed this earlier. I reckon I liked half of it, but I only remember what one song sounded like, 'Entomb'. That was lovely. I quite like it when these guys approach dream pop atmospherics. 'Tempest' is the worst song on there.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:34 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

I enjoyed this album.

Never gave this band a chance. I also downloaded White Pony this week, and I think it's solid.

durdencommatyler wrote:
iPones, man. Fuck.

Proud member of: Team Binaural and Team Argo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:41 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

ill give this band a chance...at the time i didnt care for them, saw them live opening for the peppers in 99 and they sucked...i mean they were a studio band. A friend of mine is a huge fan, and i should say they could surprise me if i give them a chance.
Ill check this one and what...white pony?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:49 pm 
The Snowboy

Around the Fur / White Pony / Self-Titled / Saturday Night Wrist / Diamond Eyes.

All of the above are worth checking out. Around the Fur is my favourite Deftones album, with great songs peppered throughout the others.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:53 pm 
The Snowboy

I thought this album was decidedly 'meh', actually; still don't really remember a thing about it. And the only reason I thought some bits were awesome was because they sounded like bits from previous albums.

Board index » Word on the Street... » Other Bands