Board index » Word on the Street... » Other Bands

Post subject: Led Zeppelin - Celebration Day
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:15 pm 
Force of Nature

Didn't found a thread on this yet, anyhow...this concert movie gets his theatrical release today. I'm going to see it tonight looking forward to this actually, the reviews so far are mostly positive.

TRAILER:

PRESS CONFERENCE:

It's a close as it gets to 'seeing' LZ live today, since they will probably never reunite for a moneygrabbing nostalgia tour...I can only respect that eventhough I would be give my left kidney for that to happen ;)

Het nederlandstalige Pearl Jam forum:

http://www.pearljamonline.nl

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Post subject: Re: Led Zeppelin - Celebration Day
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:33 am 
Force of Nature

Just got home from seeing this. Theater in Long Beach was 95% full. Weak volume was an issue at the beginning. The theater raised volume on their end, then during the encore the volume spiked to a level it should've been from the beginning. Glad I impulsively attended.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:50 pm 
Got Some

http://www.cbspressexpress.com/cbs-ente ... w?id=33795

IN A RARE TELEVISION INTERVIEW TOGETHER, ROCK LEGENDS JOHN PAUL JONES, JIMMY PAGE AND ROBERT PLANT FROM LED ZEPPELIN TO VISIT CBS’s “LATE SHOW with DAVID LETTERMAN”
The Band, Along with Letterman, Will Be Honored at

“The 35th Annual Kennedy Center Honors”

In a rare television interview together, John Paul Jones, Jimmy Page and Robert Plant, members of the legendary rock group Led Zeppelin, will visit the LATE SHOW with DAVID LETTERMAN, Monday, Dec. 3 (11:35 PM-12:37 AM, ET/PT).

The band, along with Letterman, is one of this year’s honorees at THE 35TH ANNUAL KENNEDY CENTER HONORS, which will take place in Washington, D.C. the night before their LATE SHOW interview. THE 35TH ANNUAL KENNEDY CENTER HONORS will be broadcast Wednesday, Dec. 26 (9:00-11:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

In October 2012, Led Zeppelin released the concert film “Celebration Day,” which chronicled the band’s Dec. 10, 2007 show from London’s O2 Arena, their first headline show in 27 years as they headlined a tribute concert for their friend, Atlantic Records founder Ahmet Ertegun. “Celebration Day” was released on DVD, Blu-Ray, CD and digital download and CD on Nov. 19.

In addition to Led Zeppelin, other Kennedy Center Honorees booked on the LATE SHOW are Academy Award-winning actor Dustin Hoffman on Friday, Dec. 7 and ballerina Natalia Makarova on Tuesday, Dec. 11.

The LATE SHOW with DAVID LETTERMAN is a production of Worldwide Pants Incorporated. Barbara Gaines, Matt Roberts, Jude Brennan, Maria Pope, Eric Stangel, Justin Stangel and Rob Burnett are the executive producers.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:33 pm 
Force of Nature
 WWW  Profile

I think the album is pretty good for a bunch of old guys but I can see why Plant doesn't want to tour.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:41 pm 
a joke

I give them a lot of credit, based on the version of Kashmir i heard. They took their time, practiced, and Plant sounded probably better than he did in 95 or 98 on the Zeppelin stuff. Obviously for selfish reasons I want them to tour, but I think they took an opportunity to have one last, great, hurrah, and then leave on their own terms, without risking their legacy.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:43 pm 
Unthought Known
 WWW  Profile

Skitch Patterson wrote:
I give them a lot of credit, based on the version of Kashmir i heard. They took their time, practiced, and Plant sounded probably better than he did in 95 or 98 on the Zeppelin stuff. Obviously for selfish reasons I want them to tour, but I think they took an opportunity to have one last, great, hurrah, and then leave on their own terms, without risking their legacy.

much like Pink Floyd did with Live8 and i think it's a great thing. a tour without a new album isn't a good move, especially when you've been inactive for so long.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:37 pm 
Got Some
 YIM  Profile

mastaflatch wrote:
Skitch Patterson wrote:

much like Pink Floyd did with Live8 and i think it's a great thing. a tour without a new album isn't a good move, especially when you've been inactive for so long.

a tour without a new album would be... better
who would really wanna go see Zeppelin after all these years? and hear 3 or 4 NEW songs instead of the songs we all love that alot of us have never even had the chance to go hear/see live? course on the flipside, I loved NY's new songs when I saw him with Crazy Horse so... who knows lol

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:06 pm 
a joke

MadTIGERmaN wrote:
mastaflatch wrote:
Skitch Patterson wrote:

who would really wanna go see Zeppelin after all these years? and hear 3 or 4 NEW songs instead of the songs we all love that alot of us have never even had the chance to go hear/see live? course on the flipside, I loved NY's new songs when I saw him with Crazy Horse so... who knows lol

I actually enjoyed a lot of the Walking into Clarksdale songs in 98

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:07 pm 
Unthought Known
 WWW  Profile

MadTIGERmaN wrote:
mastaflatch wrote:
Skitch Patterson wrote:

how i see it is that those guys (Zep, Floyd, Neil Young, Dylan, etc.) are or were lauded for their constant creativity, every album they've released was different from the one before it and they were rarely content of churning out run-of-the-mill records. those guys enjoy the craftmanship behind music like a second nature. i think that if they consider themselves creatively watered-down, they'd rather retire than being soulless self-tributes. Roger Waters playing The Wall right now because "it's still relevant but in a different way" treads on a fine line between downright hypocrisy and money-grabbing instinct and artistic integrity (because he's updated the visuals in a major way) but he's an exception among the aforementionned guys.
when i go out and attend a concert, i want the guys onstage to surprise me and themselves - there's a big difference between legendary artists and tribute bands and i expect my favorite bands/songwriters to be aware of this.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:03 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

mastaflatch wrote:
MadTIGERmaN wrote:
mastaflatch wrote:
Skitch Patterson wrote:

how i see it is that those guys (Zep, Floyd, Neil Young, Dylan, etc.) are or were lauded for their constant creativity, every album they've released was different from the one before it and they were rarely content of churning out run-of-the-mill records. those guys enjoy the craftmanship behind music like a second nature. i think that if they consider themselves creatively watered-down, they'd rather retire than being soulless self-tributes. Roger Waters playing The Wall right now because "it's still relevant but in a different way" treads on a fine line between downright hypocrisy and money-grabbing instinct and artistic integrity (because he's updated the visuals in a major way) but he's an exception among the aforementionned guys.
when i go out and attend a concert, i want the guys onstage to surprise me and themselves - there's a big difference between legendary artists and tribute bands and i expect my favorite bands/songwriters to be aware of this.

Its a shame Waters hasnt done anything new in a long time...his solo records are pretty good and even if his life shows are amazing, touring the wall is just a nostalgia cash grab.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:47 am 
Got Some
 YIM  Profile

I get what your saying Masta, I really do...
but theres definitely a fine line... and with Zeppelin, youre talking about a band, that literally has a big fan base, that werent even born when they were touring.

Ive got a few Hendrix bootlegs where he'll say something like "you dont wanna hear those oldies do you? we wanna play some new stuff" so yeah, im all for the artist playing new stuff, continuing to create... But yeah...

Neil really does a good job of mixing a few new songs, with old songs, and rare songs...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:42 am 
Force of Nature

MadTIGERmaN wrote:
mastaflatch wrote:
Skitch Patterson wrote:

Yeah I agree I think it would be a big mistake at age 60 odd for them to do a new album in so far as the effect it would have on their legacy. I think the Stones do it well by having a couple of new songs with every greatest hits package for promotional purposes and leaving it at that.

Neil is a different thing altogether. He hasn't stopped putting out albums and touring so it's easier for him to rotate a handful of new tunes into the set.

Board index » Word on the Street... » Other Bands