Board index » Word on the Street... » Other Bands

Post subject: Pono defeats MP3?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:43 am 
$5 Donation Gets Custom Title

http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/mp3s ... 29g2w.html

Quote:
Rock singer Neil Young has raised $500,000 from an investment group to launch a high-fidelity format for downloading music.

Ivanhoe Inc, a California-based company that lists Young as chief executive officer, got the money from 12 investors, according to a document filed with the US Securities and Exchange Commission in September.

He patented the name in July, when he said he planned to provide "online and retail store services" for high-resolution downloadable music and "discs featuring music and video of music and artistic performances."

I'll just leave this here and we can revisit in three or so years to see if anything has changed. I hope that it has.

Post subject: Re: Pono defeats MP3?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:07 am 
Master of Meh

I'm all ears on this, Neil.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:33 am 
Menace to Dogciety

Both AAC, Musepack and Vorbis are better than mp3, but mp3 evolved a lot and the gains of another format doesn't compensate the hassle of changing.

I'm just a painful reminder
Another day you leave behind

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:47 am 
Master of Meh

It's kind of ridiculous that almost everyone listens to audio quality significantly poorer than that contained even on a CD these days. Even 15 years ago, people were listening to a higher quality of audio - which is nuts, especially given the constant drive for higher definition in video formats (BluRay, etc.)

It's depressing.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:46 pm 
Stone's Bitch

If purchases of LPs came with free high-fidelity, Pono-format downloads, I'd consider shelling out for the player, which I assume is going to be pretty pricey. But I don't see myself buying hi-fi recordings twice.

Word is that once this is in production (or close to it), that's when Archives Vol. 2 will be on its way. So Pono as fast as you can, Neil!

"The real truth about it is: no one gets it right / The real truth about it is: we’re all supposed to try"

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:10 pm 
Menace to Dogciety

spenno wrote:
It's kind of ridiculous that almost everyone listens to audio quality significantly poorer than that contained even on a CD these days. Even 15 years ago, people were listening to a higher quality of audio - which is nuts, especially given the constant drive for higher definition in video formats (BluRay, etc.)

It's depressing.

But the files are like 8 times smaller and the quality lost is hard to perceive unless you are using some serious equipment. I don't think it's a big deal at all that most people find something good enough.

A good mix and production is more important than the file being 1536kbps at 192khz. Is that a bad thing that someone can enjoy a song at 192kbps at 44,1khz?

I'm just a painful reminder
Another day you leave behind

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:16 pm 
Force of Nature

spenno wrote:

It's depressing.

I read an article about why SACD and DVDA failed that said something like how it's easier to see differences in video quality but harder to hear any discernable change in quality. Our ears are subjected to an amazing amount of noise on a given day and that makes it harder to hear subtle things, especially in music.

Board index » Word on the Street... » Other Bands