Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam » Trading

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 224 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: FAQ: Torrent, SHN, FLAC, DVD...
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 4:53 pm 
The Man, The Myth
 WWW  Profile

Credit: stonecrest, bettatest, leehro, twist79ni, hesterthe13th

For Bit Torrent and SHN/FLAC, click here and scroll down.

• DVD (to be added to board FAQ..)

What shows are available on DVD?
    Right now there are about 100 shows available on bootleg DVDs. To get an overview of what shows are available you can either check the video guide on http://www.currentswillshift.net/video_guide.shtml or check the DVD artwork website http://www.our-modern-needs.com. Both lists are more or less uptodate and offer a brief overview which shows are traded freely within the PJ community.

How can I get a copy of a DVD i'm interested in?
    If you have some DVDs to trade already you can either request a trade for a show here on the board or browse the lists of shows on http://db.etree.org/bs_d.php?artist_key=23 and search for people that have a specific DVD listed on their tradelist.
    If you are just gettin started and have no DVDs so far you can request a B&P for a show here on the board. The best way to name a thread is something like this "ISO(In Search Of): B&P for 10/22/2003 Benaroya DVD".
    Another easy way to build a DVD collection is to sign up on one of the general B&P offers here on the board. Please follow the rules that are given in the header post of the B&P offer.

What DVD formats are available? What is DVD+R / DVD-R?
    There are 2 different DVD formats available. DVD-R and DVD+R. Both have a capacity of 4,5 Gigabyte. Nowadays most DVD players and DVD-ROMs support both formats for playback. Your DVD players manual should have the information which media is supported by your player.
    On the burner side its basicly the same. Most burners support both formats but there are some that can only burn to DVD+R media and others that can only burn DVD-R media. So if you sign up for a B&P watch out which formats are requested by the person offering the B&P.

How can i play a DVD (in my computer)?
    The easiest way to play a DVD that you got in a trade or B&P is a standalone DVD player. For the best results connect your DVD player to a surround sound system, cause many of the existing DVDs come with true 5.1 DD Surround Sound. Just throw in the DVD and enjoy the show!

If you wanna play the DVD in your computer you'll need a DVD-ROM drive and a software DVD player. The most common software players are WinDVD http://www.intervideo.com and PowerDVD http://http://www.gocyberlink.com/english/index.jsp . If you have one of the above or any other software DVD player installed you will also be able to play DVDs with Windows Media Player. The browsing and audio functions are very limited thou. The important thing is to have a MPEG2 codec installed on your PC and that codec comes with every software DVD player that is available.

What is the easiest way to copy a DVD?
    The hardware you need to copy a DVD is a DVDburner and minimum 5 Gigabyte of free space on your harddrive. There are two very easy ways to copy a DVD. The easiest and most correct way to get a 1:1 copy of your DVD is the freeware tool
    DVDdecrypter: - http://www.dvddecrypter.com/index.php?act=download
    To copy a DVD with DVD decrypter insert the original DVD and start the application. Now select "Mode -> ISO -> Read". Select the DVD drive with your original disc as "source" and give a destination directory. Click the Decrypt icon and the program will create an image file of the existing DVD on your harddrive. This process will take ~5-10 minutes for a full disc. Once the copying is done you have to switch to "Mode -> ISO -> Write". Select the image file you created as the source for your DVD (nameXY.iso). Insert a blank DVDR to your burner and select the burner as destination. Set the burning speed on the right (recommend 4x or slower to avoid bit errors) and press the "Write" button on the left. Depending on your burning speed the process will take 8-25 minutes to burn a full disc.

Burning DVD filestructure with Nero:
    If you downloaded a DVD from a torrent you might get a DVD file structure instead of the ISO-Image that was described above. Generally a DVD filestructure looks like this:

AUDIO_TS (folder)
    (empty)

VIDEO_TS (folder)
    VIDEO_TS.BUP (Backup of xy.IFO)
    VIDEO_TS.IFO (DVD Information File, like Chapter information, audio streams ...)
    VIDEO_TS.VOB
    VTS_01_0.BUP
    VTS_01_0.IFO (Menu Information File, Navigation structure ...)
    VTS_01_0.VOB (Menu Video files / Menu images)
    VTS_01_1.VOB (Show Video file 1)
    VTS_01_2.VOB (Show Video file 2)

To burn a DVD filestructure Nero is the easiest way to go. Start Nero Burning ROM and select DVD-Video from the dialog box. Press "new" and you should get 2 browser windows. On the left side you see the DVD directories AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS, on the right side you can browse your harddrive. To burn a disc just drag and drop all files from the downloaded directory to the VIDEO_TS directory in the DVD filestructure. After that just name the disc and follow the NERO burning dialog.

What's the difference between DVD and (S)VCD?
    The most visible difference between the 2 formats is the way superior video and audio quality of the DVDs. The (S)VCD [(Super) Video CD] format is burnt on standard CDRs with a capacity of 800MB each disc. So its ~ 1/6th of the capacity of a Video DVD. The video resolution of a VCD is 352x240 pixel for NTSC, an SVCD has a resolution of 480x480 pixel. Both formats are comparable with (S)VHS quality. To play an (S)VCD you either need a PC or can also play the discs in most standalone DVDs players. This feature and the relatively small size of 2 CDRs for a full show made the (S)VCDs a very successful trading format and there are still a number of shows that are only available on (S)VCD. A full list of existing (S)VCDs is also available under http://www.our-modern-needs.com

Just to complete the techtalk. The DVD format supports full NTSC and PAL resolution of 720x480(576) pixels. Additional to that the DVD format allows the creaters to design fully interactive menus and different audio streams for one show.

I have a video and a standalone DVD recorder and i'd like to convert that show to DVD.
    No one will tell you not to release a VHS sourced show on DVD, but the standard of the existing PJ DVDs that are traded is very high. Many many shows are sourced from master tapes and all audio streams are taken from the best sources available. So before you decide to create your own DVD and spread it please make sure there arent better sources available for that show. If you got that copy from someone on VHS, ask him if he still has the lower generation VHS and try to track down the lowest generation possible. You might also post on this board and ask if someone is working on that show or if there are lower generations available. You should get an answer within a few days in most cases.

I didn't see ____ on that list, when will it be available on DVD? Was it even videotaped?

Not every show is videotaped. And of the ones that are, not all of them have been put onto DVD yet. It's a time-consuming process. Usually the more popular/recent shows will be made available first, and it's really hard to know if/when a show will end up on DVD. So if it's listed as videotaped here, then it may show up on DVD someday.

But I saw people there with camcorders, where's the DVD?

Pearl Jam has their own crew that videotapes their shows. You'll usually see someone up near the front with a handheld video camera. This is footage for their purposes, and they may release some of it, or they may keep it in their archives. This is how Live at the Showbox, Live at the Garden, and Touring Band 2000 were recorded, as well as the clips they used to post on their website.

If you saw someone with a camcorder, and they weren't trying to hide it, it was probably someone from pearl jam's crew or a photographer. Either way, it's not a tape that's going to end up being traded on a message board.

Last edited by stonecrest on Fri Oct 29, 2004 1:37 am, edited 10 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 5:02 pm 
The Man, The Myth
 WWW  Profile

If I'm missing anything, let me know. And if anyone is familiar with DVDs and could write up a small faq for that, please PM me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 7:39 pm 
Got Some
 WWW  YIM  Profile

You should add that the FLAC frontend includes both a Winamp plugin for listening and a Nero plugin for burning CD's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 7:52 pm 
Force of Nature
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

see main post ..

Last edited by bettatest on Tue Oct 19, 2004 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 9:43 pm 
Got Some
 WWW  Profile

damn scott, nice work. I had started to write a FAQ for the site, because I get a lot of emails from people asking "ok i have a flac file, how do i make it an mp3?"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 9:57 pm 
Got Some
 WWW  Profile

a couple additions

I didn't see ____ on that list, when will it be available on DVD? Was it even videotaped?

Not every show is videotaped. And of the ones that are, not all of them have been put onto DVD yet. It's a time-consuming process. Usually the more popular/recent shows will be made available first, and it's really hard to know if/when a show will end up on DVD. So if it's listed as videotaped here, then it may show up on DVD someday.

But I saw people there with camcorders, where's the DVD?

Pearl Jam has their own crew that videotapes their shows. You'll usually see someone up near the front with a handheld video camera. This is footage for their purposes, and they may release some of it, or they may keep it in their archives. This is how Live at the Showbox, Live at the Garden, and Touring Band 2000 were recorded, as well as the clips they used to post on their website.

If you saw someone with a camcorder, and they weren't trying to hide it, it was probably someone from pearl jam's crew or a photographer. Either way, it's not a tape that's going to end up being traded on a message board.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:09 pm 
Force of Nature
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

also added to main post

Last edited by bettatest on Tue Oct 19, 2004 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 11:54 pm 
The Man, The Myth
 WWW  Profile

Thanks Matthias and Dan! I've added your info into the first post. I'm just going to link people to this thread from now on if their question is answered in here ;)

twoheadedboy wrote:
You should add that the FLAC frontend includes both a Winamp plugin for listening and a Nero plugin for burning CD's.

I have the link for FLAC Winamp2 plugin as the FLAC frontend. As far as I know, that plugin is only for Winamp 2, correct me if I'm wrong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:22 am 
Force of Nature
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

oh another one that was recently asked on the old board:

How can i play a downloaded DVD without having a DVDburner?
Software DVD players like the above described WinDVD allow you to select a harddrive for DVD playback. To make a DVD playable from your harddrive copy the VIDEO_TS folder to the root directory of a harddrive.
(Example: C:\VIDEO_TS)

When you start WinDVD now it will autoplay the DVD from your harddrive or you can manually switch to drive C with right click -> source.

I have a show on (S)VCD and would like to transfer it to DVD. Will the quality improve with the transfer?
A clear NO. It is possible to transfer an (S)VCD to DVD but it is not worth the effort. There will be no improvement in video quality. If the source file is bad, the destination wont be better. Or "crap in, crap out".
The other reason not to do this is that other traders might think the VCD/DVD is a real and clean DVD. Actually there are a handful DVDs around already that are sourced from VCDs cause ppl didnt know better.

Besides the video problem you also have to resample the VCD audio (which is 44.1 KHz) to DVD audio (48KHz). In many cases the audio and video in the newly created file will be out of sync and you have to redub the entire show.
I wont put up a guide how to do the transfer, cause it will just pollute the DVD trading circles!

So if you get offered a show that is not listed on one of the above sites, make very sure you are trading a true DVD!

What are the best shows out there or what are the consensus TOP 15 DVDs out there?
Some Top Lists taken from the old board:

1991-08-23 Mural Amphitheater: Seattle, WA USA [redone version]
1992-03-16 Kaufman Astoria Studios: Queens, NY USA
1992-06-08 Pinkpop Festival: Landgraaf, Netherlands - NEW VERSION
1993-08-14 Gimli Motorsport Park: Gimli, Manitoba Canada
1995-06-20 Red Rocks Amphitheater: Morrison, CO
1995-11-06 Sports Arena: San Diego, CA
1998-07-22 Memorial Stadium: Seattle, WA
1998-09-11 Madison Square Garden: New York City, NY
1999-10-30 & -31 Shoreline Amphitheater: Mountain View, CA
2000-08-25 Jones Beach Amphitheater: Wantagh, NY
2000-11-06 Key Arena: Seattle, WA
2003-05-02 HSBC Arena: Buffalo, NY
2003-07-19 Palacio de los Deportes: Mexico City, Mexico
2003-10-22 Benaroya Hall [YouthCare Benefit]: Seattle, WA

There is also a highly recommended 2 DVD set called Mementos Vol.1 & Vol.2 It includes a great selection of songs from existing DVDs. The full setlist and info can be found here http://www.our-modern-needs.com/nfo/MEM ... _notes.txt

I've seen an unreleased show on ebay that i feel i should buy and distribute. Should I bid it up and then copy to everyone on red-moz?
No, never buy on ebay. You'll probably end up in a bidding war with someone with the exact same idea. If the show is up on ebay trust that it will eventually get traded, quite probably in an improved version with menus and 5.1 sound.

Even if you get it you should think if it is the best version possible before spreading. Example: Is there a better audio source available? If you aren't sure about that or how to add better audio, post it on the board and someone will help you out!

I heard something about Easter Eggs on PJ DVDs, what is that and which DVDs have Easter Eggs?
Easter Eggs are hidden features on DVDs that can also be seen as a little bonus for those who take the time to hunt for them. Right now there are 4 DVDs with this little bonus features: Bad Radio 90, Seattle 98, West Palm Beach 03 and Mementos Vol.2. Dont ask how to find them, that would ruin the fun for us all ;) Good Luck

Last edited by bettatest on Tue Oct 19, 2004 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: another suggestion
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 11:09 am 
Force of Nature

What is the pj police?

The PJ police is a taskforce that exists in the shades.
No one and everyone is a part of it.
There's only thing we can tell about the PJ police: if you are caught (and you WILL BE) selling any of the bootlegs you GET FOR FREE you'll have to face TERRIBLE consequences.
BEWARE!!!!

GREAT faq

cheers
L.

Last edited by speculare on Tue Oct 19, 2004 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 2:06 pm 
Banned from the Pit
 WWW  Profile

Being a Apple user, i thought i'd compile a list of mac specific things as most of the tips listed are for Windows.
Most of the apps listed below only work on OSX.

FLAC

Conversion - MacFlac : http://www.danrules.com/macflac/ : Drag Flac files to window > select AIFF or WAV as output > select output destination > Click Decode

Player - MPlayer : http://mplayerosx.sourceforge.net/

Burn - Toast 6 : Audio > Audio CD > Drag Files To Window > Change Pause to 0
seconds so as to burn DOA > Click Burn

SHN

Conversion - Shorten For Macintosh : http://www.hornig.net/shorten/ : File > Expand >
Select files to expand > select destination > Click save

Player - Don't think there's a player for OSX

Burn - Toast 6 : Audio > Audio CD > Drag Files To Window > Change Pause to 0 seconds so as to burn DOA > Click Burn

DVD

Copy -
-R : Toast 6 : Copy > CD/DVD Copy > Click Record Button > Follow onscreen prompts
Disk Utility : Select Disk to copy in left hand side panel > click images menu > select new > select "image from X" (X = disc name) > In image format select DVD/CD master > choose file name > save > Image will appear in left side panel > Select image > Click Burn

+R : If using an internal Apple Superdrive you can't use Toast 6 to copy +R media.
You can use Disk Utility : Select Disk to copy in left hand side panel > click images menu > select new > select "image from X" (X = disc name) > In image format select DVD/CD master > choose file name > save > Image will appear in left side panel > Select image > Click Burn

Burn - Toast 6 : Data > DVD-ROM (UDF) > Drag Video_TS folder to window > Click Burn

Player - Apple DVD Player : File > "Open Video_TS" folder > Play
VLC : http://www.videolan.org/ : File > Open Disc > Select DVD > Click OK

(S)VCD
Copy - Toast 6 : Copy > CD/DVD Copy > Click Record Button > Follow onscreen prompts
Disk Utility : Select Disk to copy in left hand side panel > click images menu > select new > select "image from X" (X = disc name) > In image format select DVD/CD master > choose file name > save > Image will appear in left side panel > Select image > Click Burn

Burn - Toast 6 : Video > (S)VCD > Drag Video files to window > Click Burn

Player - VLC : http://www.videolan.org/ : File > Open Disc > Select VCD > Click OK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 2:40 pm 
Force of Nature

More Mac OS X Info

Xact will convert both FLAC & SHN files

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/21952

PureAudio will play FLAC & SHN files

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/24617

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 5:31 am 
AnalLog

So most DVD players WILL play VCDs? Do you know if Toshiba DVD players will play the VCD format?

Always do the right thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 7:38 am 
Force of Nature
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

OrpheusDescending wrote:
So most DVD players WILL play VCDs? Do you know if Toshiba DVD players will play the VCD format?

There is a list of DVD players over at http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers

Just type in your player and you'll see which compatible formats were reported by users with the same player!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 2:59 am 
AnalLog

bettatest wrote:
OrpheusDescending wrote:

There is a list of DVD players over at http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers

Just type in your player and you'll see which compatible formats were reported by users with the same player!

Thanks for the info, sadly my DVD player supports very few formats (no vdd/svcd) but the one in our living room supports nearly all the formats. Once again, thanks.

Always do the right thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 1:22 pm 
Banned from the Pit
 WWW  Profile

twist79ni wrote:
Being a Apple user, i thought i'd compile a list of mac specific things as most of the tips listed are for Windows.
Most of the apps listed below only work on OSX.

FLAC

Conversion - MacFlac : http://www.danrules.com/macflac/ : Drag Flac files to window > select AIFF or WAV as output > select output destination > Click Decode

Player - MPlayer : http://mplayerosx.sourceforge.net/

Burn - Toast 6 : Audio > Audio CD > Drag Files To Window > Change Pause to 0
seconds so as to burn DOA > Click Burn

SHN

Conversion - Shorten For Macintosh : http://www.hornig.net/shorten/ : File > Expand >
Select files to expand > select destination > Click save

Player - Don't think there's a player for OSX

Burn - Toast 6 : Audio > Audio CD > Drag Files To Window > Change Pause to 0 seconds so as to burn DOA > Click Burn

DVD

Copy -
-R : Toast 6 : Copy > CD/DVD Copy > Click Record Button > Follow onscreen prompts

+R : If using an internal Apple Superdrive you can't use Toast 6 to copy +R media.
You can use Disk Utility : Select Disk to copy in left hand side panel > click images menu > select new > select "image from X" (X = disc name) > In image format select DVD/CD master > choose file name > save > Image will appear in left side panel > Select image > Click Burn

Burn - Toast 6 : Data > DVD-ROM (UDF) > Drag Video_TS folder to window > Click Burn

Player - Apple DVD Player : File > "Open Video_TS" folder > Play
VLC : http://www.videolan.org/ : File > Open Disc > Select DVD > Click OK

(S)VCD
Copy - Toast 6 : Copy > CD/DVD Copy > Click Record Button > Follow onscreen prompts

Burn - Toast 6 : Video > (S)VCD > Drag Video files to window > Click Burn

Player - VLC : http://www.videolan.org/ : File > Open Disc > Select VCD > Click OK

Thank you, I absolutely LOVE you! . . . . Also, what does it mean when it says "seeding"?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 2:18 am 
Got Some

Can you enlighten me as to the proper way to use md5 files. I read that you need to go to the dos prompt and run them there but it is not overly clear as I am not comfortable in dos...

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 2:04 am 
Unthought Known
 WWW  Profile

antiyou wrote:
Can you enlighten me as to the proper way to use md5 files. I read that you need to go to the dos prompt and run them there but it is not overly clear as I am not comfortable in dos...

Thanks

If you download mkwact you just doubleclick the MD5 file and it does all the checking for you right in windows.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 2:35 pm 
Got Some

Quote:
ericd102 Posted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 2:04 am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

antiyou wrote:

Thanks

If you download mkwact you just doubleclick the MD5 file and it does all the checking for you right in windows.

Thanks, I'll look for it tonight. Freeware I assume?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 2:35 am 
Unthought Known
 WWW  Profile

antiyou wrote:
Quote:
ericd102 Posted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 2:04 am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

antiyou wrote:

Thanks

Thanks, I'll look for it tonight. Freeware I assume?

yes, of course. It is the most common program used to decode .shn files.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 224 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam » Trading