Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

Vote
Five Stars: A Classic 8%  8%  [ 14 ]
Four Stars: Really good 41%  41%  [ 67 ]
Three Stars: Average 31%  31%  [ 51 ]
Two Stars: sub par 14%  14%  [ 24 ]
One Star: I'd rather listen to stupid mop 4%  4%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 163
 Post subject: SOTM: For the lights of this city...
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:03 am 
Stone's Bitch

Gone

No more upset mornings
No more trying evenings
This American Dream
I am disbelieving.
When the gas in my tank
feels like money in the bank
I’m gonna blow it all this time,
take me one last ride.
For the lights of this city
They only look good when I’m speeding
I wanna leave em all behind me
cause this time
I’m gone
Long gone
This time I'm letting go of it all
So long
Cause this time I'm gone
In the far off distance
As my taillights fade
No one to witness
but they will someday
Feel like a question is forming
And the answers far
I will be what I could be
Once I get out of this town.
For the lights of this city
They’ve lost all of their feeling
Gonna leave em all behind me
cause this time
I’m gone
Long gone
This time I'm letting go of it all
So long
Long gone I'm letting go of it all
yeh this time I'm gone
If nothing is everything
If nothing is everything I’ll have it all
If nothing is everything
then I will have it all.
I am gone.

Previous Songs of the Moment
In My Tree
Red Mosquito
Porch
I Got Id
Release
Do The Evolution
Breath
Corduroy
Elderly Woman...
Leash
Hail Hail
Grievance
Love Boat Captain
Even Flow
Black Red Yellow
In Hiding
Can't Keep
Indifference
Insignificance
Whipping
Black
Smile
Push Me Pull Me
Rats
God's Dice
All or None
Yellow Ledbetter
Last Exit
Who You Are
Rearview Mirror
Hold On
Present Tense
Light Years
Alive
Brain of J
Thumbing My Way
Hard to Imagine
Tremor Christ
Rival
Animal
Lukin
You Are
betterman
Given to Fly
Once
Low Light
Parting Ways
Off He Goes
Go
get right
World Wide Suicide
Angel
MFC
Long Road
Why Go
Nothingman
Save You
Of A Girl
Habit
Satan’s Bed
Faithful
Oceans

Winner, 2008 US Pearl Jam fantasy league. :D

Everton FC: 3-1-5
Anaheim Webbed D's: 5-6-2
USC Football: 7-2
Denver Broncos: 3-5

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:06 am 
Stone's Bitch

Gone is perhaps one of the most perfect for the moment songs for me. It has gotten quite a bit of shots at it on this board, but I don’t think the band has written a song so easily relatable for myself. The lyrics seem to explain the situation of a man(possibly the same one from Unemployable) who is fed up with the life he has been living, as it feels unfulfilled, almost as though he has not lived up to his own personal potential. When I first heard this song I was immediately taken back to high school. I was fairly well known for my underachieving status. Most of my teachers and peers knew I could have easily finished towards the top of the class if I had applied myself. The second verse seems to sum up a lot of how I felt in high school very well.

No more upset mornings
No more trying evenings
This American Dream
I am disbelieving.
When the gas in my tank
feels like money in the bank
I’m gonna blow it all this time,
take me one last ride.

The first verse seems like the realization that things are going wrong. “This is not what I want to do, this is not where I want to, nor should be at this point.” A lot of situations like these, you just take it and take it, hoping it all gets better. Hoping the belief in karma will eventually come around and reward him. Well in this case, the character has had it, and he is not going to just sit there and take it no more, he is going to get off his ass and do something about it, and try and change his life for the better.

In the far off distance
As my taillights fade
No one to witness
but they will someday
Feel like a question is forming
And the answers far
I will be what I could be
Once I get out of this town.

The second verse, however, is what helped me relate strongly to the song through my own personal experience. The first set of lines starts out with “no one to witness but they will someday” line. This to me feels like a lot of those people who doubted me in high school, and even those who wrote me off as a bust in high school. The second part feels like the determination to prove them wrong by all means necessary. The “Feel like a question is forming, and the answers far” line also hit me hard. This to me, showed that although what I wanted(the “answer”) might have been far out there, might have required work, it still was out there. All I needed was the stubbornness to go after it. However, no other line in the song was so strong to me as the last line, “I will be what I could be once I get out of this town.” If you had replaced “town” with school, I feel you get a near identical feeling I had most of high school. The environment I was in just didn’t feel right for me. Not just the fellow students or the teachers, but the whole structure itself. I needed something new, something different where I would be allowed to blossom and become what I knew I could be.

Overall this song is my second all-time favorite Pearl Jam song, and the only song to have seriously challenged Alive for my all-time favorite song. For me, this is easily a 5 star and then some song. Purely amazing.

Winner, 2008 US Pearl Jam fantasy league. :D

Everton FC: 3-1-5
Anaheim Webbed D's: 5-6-2
USC Football: 7-2
Denver Broncos: 3-5

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:24 am 
Force of Nature

It probably took 20 listens of Avocado for this song to grow on me, but now I love it. I know they stole "If nothing is everything I'll have it all", but it's still an awesome line, and very much how I live my life. Everyone's been somewhere that they feel trapped, and now every time I leave Rockford I put this one on my iPod.

All of Avocado would get a 5 from me, except maybe Unemployable, WWS, and Parachutes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:26 am 
Cameron's Stallion: Riding Hard
 WWW  Profile

Nice post Nick. I can relate to this song too, similar experiences to you, wanting to get out of my home town. It's relevant again to me now, my life has come full circle and again I want to leave this town. It's a beautiful song, sounds great live, and is very powerful. One of my favourites from the record

The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who in the name of charity and good will shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness for he is truly his brothers keeper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:36 am 
Johnny Guitar

i think it´s an amazing song,pretty much defines a regular eddie song, a great one,but i must say i love the fan club version and i was a little disapointed when i heard the album version,it doesn´t bring anything new to the song, they should´ve stick to the first version, sometimes simple is better don´t you think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:46 am 
Got Some

the only song on "Pearl Jam" that has never grown on me or moved me ever.

It is kinda of "meh"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:49 am 
Unthought Known

Good work pearljamfan80. Loved the 10C vinyl version of this song and I believe the album version just adds that little 'extra' that was required. Very simple song but the song i have played the most off 'Avacado'. Good to sing along to on the way to work (having this cd literally stuck in my cd player also helps). The lyrics don't mean much for me as I still live in my hometown. I think the songs suits eddies voice live very well. 5 stars

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:24 pm 
Johnny Guitar
 WWW  YIM  Profile

I've been in love with this song ever since my first listen to the fan club demo version. The AOL sessions version is great too. The theme is a little cliché, but eddie owns it and makes it pure poetry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:39 pm 
Global Moderator

One of my early favorites off of Avocado, although it hasn't aged as well as some of the others. A wonderful soaring chorus (their best in years) that needs just a little more lyrical substance to really hold it in that upper tier, especially because the verses are a little dry.

I remeber going for a walk when I first downloaded the disc and gone being the song where everything clicked--the chorus especially. I actually got a little choked up since I felt for the first time in FAR too long the band that I loved had finally made a record worthy of their name. It might be my favorite individual memory of this year.

Nice write up nick :)

The perfect gift for certain occasions

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:45 pm 
Stone's Bitch

I was suprised when they decided to put this on the album. It works thematically but I always thought it did not live up to the rest of the album. Then I drove away from home and it just clicked.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:12 pm 
Got Some

very good song 4 stars,

i think by the time the album came out i had heard this song about 50 times from listening to the fanclub single, and i was just bored with it. then i had this cd is my player while working out and i happened to be sitting down at the time, and i just didn;t move i listened to the whole whitng without moving. right then and there the song got to me. so many times wether is a something samll or even on a larger scale, that i want to change something. this song is very motivational and it just gets to you. the song for me is alot like therapy, and damn it. it works.

GO LEAFS GO GO LEAFS GO GO LEAFS GO
GO LEAFS GO GO LEAFS GO GO LEAFS GO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:22 pm 
Reissued

stip wrote:
One of my early favorites off of Avocado, although it hasn't aged as well as some of the others.

yeah this is how i am with the song. i still enjoy it, and really liked hearing it live, but it's probably about a 3.5 for me.

very fun to play on guitar though...

Soma. wrote:
In summary, you can't go wrong with Muse live.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:22 pm 
Johnny Guitar

4 stars for me

I love the lyrics, it's easy to relate this song with Eddie, since it has always seemed he wants to get away from everything...I think most people can also relate to this song at some point in their lives, we just want to leave everything behind because we know what we seek is not available at where we are at.

for some reason, i just get the feeling this song could have been even better

WPB 06/11/08 - Tampa 06/12/08 - Columbia 06/16/08 - V. Beach 06/17/08

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:52 pm 
Team Binaural
 WWW  Profile

4 stars

The lyrics could have been better but I like this song's atmosphere a lot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:08 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

3 stars, although it's going downhill in my book... :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:18 pm 
Stone's Bitch
 WWW  Profile

In the bottom three for me as far as songs on Pearl Jam, but I still dig it. It's much better live.

3 stars.

Good job Nickster! :thumbsup:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:44 pm 
Mike's Maniac

This was my favourite track of the new album when it came out, if we did it then I would have given it a 5.

I gave it 4 because it hasnt improved with more listens like all the other tracks. This is because the lyrics are simple and easy to get into, hence why I instantly liked it, but with not much left it wears quickly. I always like this theme in their songs (RVM, MFC etc) as I can really understand the perspective behind it and it invokes in me strong feelings.

A great song

Reading '06, Katowice '07, Wembley '07, Copenhagen '07, London O2 '09, London '10, Arras '10

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:07 pm 
Stone's Bitch

My least favourite of the new album. 3 stars 'cause live is a little better

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:12 pm 
Needs to start paying for bandwidth

LostDog1079 wrote:
In the bottom three for me as far as songs on Pearl Jam, but I still dig it. It's much better live.

3 stars.

Good job Nickster! :thumbsup:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:10 pm 
Of Counsel

stip wrote:
One of my early favorites off of Avocado, although it hasn't aged as well as some of the others. A wonderful soaring chorus (their best in years) that needs just a little more lyrical substance to really hold it in that upper tier, especially because the verses are a little dry.

I think the lyrics are good, if the delivery is a little dry. I think that Ed conveys a great deal of imagery and place with the song. The chorus is what keeps me from ranking this higher. It soars, yeah, but on wings of paper. At this point in their career, I don't think that Ed can rely on moaning a tune and calling it a "chorus".

If I were grading this I'd write "Good. Chorus needs work, please resubmit. 3 stars."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam