Feel like resonance of distance...
In the blood...the iron lies
It's instilled... to wanna live.

Bombs,... dropping down,...
Please forgive... our hometown...
In our insignificance

World Wide Suicide

I felt the earth on Monday. It moved beneath my feet
in the form of a morning paper. Laid out for me to see.

Saw his face in a corner picture. I recognized the name.
Could not stop staring at the. Face I'd never see again.

It's a shame to awake in a world of pain
What does it mean when a war has taken over

It's the same everyday in a hell manmade
What can be saved, and who will be left to hold her?

The whole world,... world over.
It's a worldwide suicide.

Medals on a wooden mantle. Next to a handsome face.
That the president took for granted.
Writing checks that others pay.

And in all the madness. Thought becomes numb and naive.
So much to talk about there's. Nothing for to say.

It's the same everyday and the wave won't break
Tell you to pray, while the devil's on their shoulder

Laying claim to the take our soldiers save
Does not equate, and the truth's already out there

Looking in the eyes of the fallen
You got to know there's another, another, another, another
Another way

It's a shame to awake in a world of pain
What does it mean when a war has taken over

It's the same everyday and the wave won't break
Tell you to pray, while the devil's on their shoulder

Previous The Best…
1.existential album closer
2. failing love song
3.seize the day song

The perfect gift for certain occasions

Last edited by stip on Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:29 pm 
Global Moderator

Just to get this out of the way, Army Reserve and Last Solider were not included here as both of those deal with the fear and hardship that come from going off to war, but are not necessarily critical of war itself, and become so only if you read Eddie’s anti-war politics back into the song. These two songs, however, are quite clear in their anti-war message, and both are masterfully written. If these had been given videos (a concept video for WWS instead of that nonsense) they could have been huge

The music in Insignficance fits the subject matter perfectly. It is big, booming, and somehow distant and removed. I think it is supposed to capture bombs falling down—the rolling waves of sound, slightly muffled but still all encompassing. If you watched the footage of ‘shock and awe’ at the start of the second Iraq war you’ll know what I’m talking about.

For the most part Eddie is in cryptic lyrical mode. This is an REM style protest song. Allusions and images that aren’t always quite clear, but are incredibly evocative if you know what to look for. What I really love is the point of view of this song—the innocent victim of someone else’s war. As I watched the start of the Iraq war on TV I had tears in my eyes thinking about how at this moment people are having their lives ripped apart, homes destroyed, and loved ones killed and that this is happening to people both innocent of wrongdoing and utterly powerless to stop it. Please forgive their hometown in their insignificance.

I also like the nod to finding solidarity in music, that it can be used to bridge the gaps between people across political and cultural divides and offer a voice to the voiceless, even in times of war (U2, especially early U2, was very good on this). I was alone and far away when I heard the band start playing is one of my all time favorite lyrics in a PJ song.

Grievance and Insignifance are both fantastic political songs, and so my hopes were really high for Riot Act and the spectacular failure that was Bushleaguer (at least in my view) hit me hard. World Wide Suicide was (for me) bushleaguer’s redemption, showing that Eddie still knew how to write a political song if he wanted to. And this one is a masterpiece. It is much less abstract, much more immediate, than insignificance, and I think that works in its favor. It’s got a snarly urgency that is more empowering than the distant brushstrokes of insignificance which is important for political music. It is supposed to get you both angry AND excited, to not only expose injustice but to want to do something about that, and the WWS music does that (punk music in general understands this aspect of political song writing better than folk music—not that insignificance is a folk song).

Lyrically the song is terrific. Rather than dealing with abstractions it tells a very personal story, one with a sympathetic victim with good cause to be angry, and the way the story is told lets us share her anger. Eddie is smart in his choice of characters too, as it is not some young anti-war protester we are dealing with, but the spouse of someone who VOLUNTARILY enlisted to go fight, and died in a war based on false pretexts and lies. It is a far more compelling message coming from that character, especially because it does not damn the soldier, but the leaders who continue to insist on using war (and the deaths of the innocents) as a political tool, knowing that they are safe from the sacrifices they expect of others.

Both fantastic songs, but World Wide Suicide takes it for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:33 pm 
Needs to start paying for bandwidth

Insignificance.

I'm having a real hard time digging WWC. And also, Insignificance was the song that came on the free sample cd i got 6 years ago and got me into PJ.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:14 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

I really, really love both songs, lyrically and musicall, but I think Insignificance is the better song for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:26 pm 
Needs to start paying for bandwidth

i always feel kinda bad just naming the song i voted for and move where as stip writes a whole freakin' essay on this subject. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:00 pm 
Got Some

i love the new album, but insiignificance is off of Binaural. come on this is pretty easy.

In Sig Ni Ficance

GO LEAFS GO GO LEAFS GO GO LEAFS GO
GO LEAFS GO GO LEAFS GO GO LEAFS GO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:02 pm 
Stone's Bitch
 WWW  Profile

Tough choice, but I go with WWS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:08 pm 
Mike's Maniac

I voted for Insignificance because I feel it outshines WWS on all counts. The music and the lyrics are more clever than WWS, plus I am a little tired of WWS at the moment, not too say I dont like it though.

Also I think (I may be wrong here) that Insignificance was a song about the people who work at Boeing in or around Seattle, making killing equipment as the means of earning money to live. The bit
'Bombs,... dropping down,...
In our insignificance'
relates to the workers making the equipment used to kill. It is still an anti war song but coming from a slightly different angle.

Reading '06, Katowice '07, Wembley '07, Copenhagen '07, London O2 '09, London '10, Arras '10

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:12 pm 
Team Binaural
 WWW  Profile

Insignificance. The music, like you said, fits perfectly to the music, and I love the lyrics, the "Please forgive our hometown in our insignificance" line kills me, it's so... so true, unfortunately

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:10 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Musically I think WWS does a wonderful job of integrating everyone’s instrument into one driving force, which is impressive considering every member is playing an instrument. You don’t come across a rock song very often that has three guitars going at the same time and particularly three guitars that are playing three entirely different, but yet, complimentary chords. That crazy little guitar part that Stone starts grooving with at the close of WWS as Mike and Ed are crunching with power chords is a hell of a way to close a song.

I also can get into the theme of WWS quicker, especially in comparison to Insignificance. The images are clearer and concrete.

Rise. Life is in motion...

don't it make you smile?
don't it make you smile?
when the sun don't shine? (shine at all)
don't it make you smile?

RIP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:22 pm 
Epitome of cool
 WWW  Profile

I voted Worldwide Suicide because it's more personal. Ed mixes the sadness of the wartime departed with the anger of war itself. Insignificance doesn't hit me nearly as hard emotionally.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:25 pm 
Got Some

worldwide suicide... i like insignifigance but i like wws a lot more, as said earlier, wws hits much harder than insignifigance

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:51 pm 
Global Moderator

pb21 wrote:
I voted for Insignificance because I feel it outshines WWS on all counts. The music and the lyrics are more clever than WWS, plus I am a little tired of WWS at the moment, not too say I dont like it though.

Also I think (I may be wrong here) that Insignificance was a song about the people who work at Boeing in or around Seattle, making killing equipment as the means of earning money to live. The bit
In our insignificance'
relates to the workers making the equipment used to kill. It is still an anti war song but coming from a slightly different angle.

ohhh, that's good. Can anyone confirm this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:52 pm 
Global Moderator

conoalias wrote:
i always feel kinda bad just naming the song i voted for and move where as stip writes a whole freakin' essay on this subject. :?

it is just to get people started. Don't feel bad :) (although it is usualy more interesting if you explain why you think the way you do)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:17 pm 
Mike's Maniac

stip wrote:
pb21 wrote:

In our insignificance'

ohhh, that's good. Can anyone confirm this?

I found where I heard it on 5H concert cronogy

Quote:
02/16/03 - Entertainment Centre: Adelaide, Australia
attendance: 10,097
support act: Johnny Marr and The Healers
soundcheck: Oceans (partial), In Hiding, Help Help, Gimme Some Truth (x2), Nothingman, Smile, Bushleaguer
set: Love Boat Captain, Corduroy, Save You, Hail Hail, Help Help, Even Flow, I Am Mine, Better Man, You Are, Green Disease/Not For You, Thumbing My Way, Given to Fly, Elderly Woman, Insignificance, Go
enc 1: Bushleaguer, Do the Evolution, Last Kiss, Black, Crazy Mary, State of Love and Trust
enc 2: singalong, Soon Forget, Yellow Ledbetter, Rockin' in the Free World
notes: Unusual 'LBC' opener debuts before a capacity Adelaide crowd leading to a stellar 'Corduroy' that gets the crowd going. After 'Hail Hail,' Ed expresses his emotions regarding the 100,000-people turnout at the anti-war protest just hours earlier in Adelaide's Victoria Square: "What a great day! I think this is one of the greatest weekends in my lifetime ... in our lifetimes. This weekend the biggest protest since the Vietnam war went down. You've got maybe 8 million people in over 600 countries coming out to protest the war. That's something to be toasted to and thankful for ... you should be very proud." 'Help Help' makes its debut, similar to the album version but no Stone backing vocals. Again, Ed lets the crowd sing part of the first verse of "Better Man.' 'Not For You' is amazing ("small my table, seats all of us; got so crowded but you we trust"). During the middle part, Mike rolls on the floor and stays there, jamming, joined by Ed soon after! 'GTF' lyrically references a female ("she" and "her") rather than a male persona. Ed sings the first verse of 'Elderly Woman' twice, commenting "Did I fuck it up?" 'Insignificance' is introduced as a song about a small town "near where we come from" with a plant where a lot of people work making planes (Boeing).The Bush mask is again worn by Ed during 'Bushleaguer' and a a blasting 'Do The Evolution' follow. The band turns around for 'Last Kiss,' playing for "... those less privileged people, those people in the back." Ed's wine bottle is passed around the front rows during 'Crazy Mary' and, after constant requests all night, 'State' appears for the first time this tour. Ed returns alone to attempt a crowd singalong of John Lennon's 'Give Peace a Chance.' Ed is wearing a sleeveless shirt with a photo of Bush and John Howard on it. Ed introduces "Luke the Uke" to Adelaide, then struggles with 'Soon Forget' again, but provides Townshend-style windmills and jumps. 'Yellow Ledbetter' sees the house lights on, and, to everyone's amazement, the band jumps straight into 'Rockin In The Free World' (thanks to Stone), the crowd going nuts, Ed jumping on speaker stacks, Mike running around the back and Matt tossing out drumsticks. Very up show with Ed dancing and Stone lively and laughing.

edit: the more I think the more I think that Insignificance is about someone who works in the factory.

'The swallowed seeds of arrogance...
Breeding in the thoughts of ten...
Thousand fools that fight irrelevance.'

The thoughts of ten and the thousand fools are the many that make the planes beliving they are superior than the people killed by them

'The full moon is dead skin...
The one down here's wearing thin...
So set up... the ten pins.
As the human tide rolls in...
Like a ball that's spinning. '

Someone who works in the factory is bowling and enjoying the 'american dream' having a fun night while at the same time the planes and their bombs are being unleashed.

'Feel like resonance of distance...
In the blood...the iron lies
It's instilled... to wanna live. '

There are other lines but I cant think how these would relate in quite the same way.

Reading '06, Katowice '07, Wembley '07, Copenhagen '07, London O2 '09, London '10, Arras '10

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:31 pm 
Supersonic

Easy choice. WWS by a landslide. Much better lyrics; better music; and it comes from a much better album. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:40 pm 
Stone's Bitch

i cant decide...toughy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:47 pm 
Stone's Bitch

cause if this is just an Anti song or protest i guess, than for me grievance is the best...maybe thats why it was tough to decide

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:04 pm 
Stone's Bitch

Insignificance by far. I like the lyrics better, like the music better, and I'm pretty tired of WWS. Easy choice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:36 pm 
Force of Nature

slight edge to insignificance, but perhaps it's only because WWS is a bit overplayed

Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam