Present Tense 59%  59%  [ 47 ]
Can't Keep 3%  3%  [ 3 ]
I Am Mine 30%  30%  [ 24 ]
Fatal 6%  6%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 79
 Post subject: The Best.... Search for Personal Contentment
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:58 am 
Got Some

most of these songs deal with this theme in one way or another. it seems to me that this is a topic that not many bands tend to take on very often. it seems that alot of groups, especially today, opt to keep listeners cacooned in an opiate of mysery without any introduction of a positive direction. what is also great about how pearl jam handles this is to show that its not an easy journey to make, and ultimately its a personal choice.
these songs either deal with this from an inner perspective and/or to the perspective of the relationship between people and the way their actions can effect them through their relationship with the world.

Present Tense makes use of many philosophical infuences and imagery. the most striking image that appears first is the metaphor of a tree reaching towards the suns rays. to me this basically reminds the listener that you should reach out and open up to hope and what you have to be thankful for.
the next signifigant part of this song ask the listener to examine their outlook on the future. "do you have ideas on how this life ends... have you the beleif that the road ahead ascents off into the light." to me this poses the question 'can you really control things and do you have faith things will turn out for the best?'
the last part I would like to talk about are the lines about 'forgiving yourself' and living in the present. everyone makes mistakes, and some people cant forgive you, but you can forgive yourself. however, even if others forgive you, you cant forget to also come to terms with the mistake yourself. ultimately the song talks about how living in the past or future too much can cause a person to derail in a way, and forget to live and lighten up. its up to you.

the next song I would like to talk about is Can't keep. this song seems to go beyond the former in that the narrator accepts they have the ability to take action. It seems to take the position that you can't wait around for good things to happen. its hard to say whether this could be a flaw in judgement or not, since the last song implies that a person may not have total control over their lives. whose to say though.

anyway. I want to start with the line that I tend to relate most to in the song. "I've lived all this life like an ocean in disquise, I dont live forever, you cant keep me here." iv always been somewhat of a shy and reserved person in most situations, though iv grown out of it somewhat and have been able to express myself much better with age. it seems maybe this line is saying 'i was afraid to show everything about me but I wont let it stop me anymore.' this process doesnt happen overnight, but I suppose you cant waist too much time.

the rest of the song talks about a person finding personal fulfillment in doing things they where previously living in fear of doing. in some instances this is a scary idea for some people, myself included. the speaker seems to say that dispite the course of their life, 'it has been wonderful at night' at times anyway

I am mine touches on similar themes. this song seems to encourege the listener to feel safe and comfortable with their personal identity and that everyone else is in the same boat. ultimately your free to make choices that effect your life.

"I only own my mind" in the end you only own your mind and the ability to make choices for yourself. I think this is probably one of the hardest things for anyone to realize and use. people tend to get caught up in their own destiny.

"theres no need to hide, we're safe tonite" self explanitory.

"the ocean is full because everyone is crying". basically, everyone has struggles and challenges, so your not alone. I think this concept is a good thing for people maybe in their adolescense to understand, mostly because they tend to be lost in themselves.

"the selfish they are all standing in line, faithing and hoping to buy themselves time." seems to be a political or social statement, but it also could mean people are relying too much on faith in god and not enough in themselves.

Fatal, which may not be about personal fufillment per se, seems to touch on some of these themes. IMO the song is all about what I have been speaking of.

Fatal tells a story of a character who is questioning their worth or position in society and life. it seems that this person beleives but is unshure "how good" their 'heart and ego' is good. perhaps this person has "waken up" in light of sucess and turmoil (when angers in fashion) and risen above. it seems to take place in the spring (aprils in may), which is a time of rebirth after the winter. I think the choice of "the answers are fatal" might be arbitrary since it was chosen to replace the line "the answers in plato" but it could also mean that if the person was meant to know the answers to all their self questioning then the meaning in life would be lost.

If you have read everything up to this point, thanks for your time. :)

Previous The Best…
1.existential album closer
2. failing love song
3.seize the day song
4. anti-war song
5. song for unrequited love
6. song for a father
7. guitar solo
8. song about getting away
9. political call to arms
10. song for a blown love
10. Surf Song

11. Song about religious faith

12. song to define the band

http://www.jason-stallings.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:28 am 
Got Some

Present Tense and Fatal. :thumbsup:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:30 am 
Stone's Bitch

Excellent post. I was just going to post something similar for I am Mine as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:14 am 
Got Some

For me in my tree is pj's best "search for self-acceptance" type song.

"still got my innocence, a little bit"

Post subject: Re: The Best.... Search for Personal Contentment
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:00 am 
Unthought Known

Junco Partner wrote:
most of these songs deal with this theme in one way or another. it seems to me that this is a topic that not many bands tend to take on very often. it seems that alot of groups, especially today, opt to keep listeners cacooned in an opiate of mysery without any introduction of a positive direction. what is also great about how pearl jam handles this is to show that its not an easy journey to make, and ultimately its a personal choice.
these songs either deal with this from an inner perspective and/or to the perspective of the relationship between people and the way their actions can effect them through their relationship with the world.

Present Tense makes use of many philosophical infuences and imagery. the most striking image that appears first is the metaphor of a tree reaching towards the suns rays. to me this basically reminds the listener that you should reach out and open up to hope and what you have to be thankful for.
the next signifigant part of this song ask the listener to examine their outlook on the future. "do you have ideas on how this life ends... have you the beleif that the road ahead ascents off into the light." to me this poses the question 'can you really control things and do you have faith things will turn out for the best?'
the last part I would like to talk about are the lines about 'forgiving yourself' and living in the present. everyone makes mistakes, and some people cant forgive you, but you can forgive yourself. however, even if others forgive you, you cant forget to also come to terms with the mistake yourself. ultimately the song talks about how living in the past or future too much can cause a person to derail in a way, and forget to live and lighten up. its up to you.

the next song I would like to talk about is Can't keep. this song seems to go beyond the former in that the narrator accepts they have the ability to take action. It seems to take the position that you can't wait around for good things to happen. its hard to say whether this could be a flaw in judgement or not, since the last song implies that a person may not have total control over their lives. whose to say though.

anyway. I want to start with the line that I tend to relate most to in the song. "I've lived all this life like an ocean in disquise, I dont live forever, you cant keep me here." iv always been somewhat of a shy and reserved person in most situations, though iv grown out of it somewhat and have been able to express myself much better with age. it seems maybe this line is saying 'i was afraid to show everything about me but I wont let it stop me anymore.' this process doesnt happen overnight, but I suppose you cant waist too much time.

the rest of the song talks about a person finding personal fulfillment in doing things they where previously living in fear of doing. in some instances this is a scary idea for some people, myself included. the speaker seems to say that dispite the course of their life, 'it has been wonderful at night' at times anyway

I am mine touches on similar themes. this song seems to encourege the listener to feel safe and comfortable with their personal identity and that everyone else is in the same boat. ultimately your free to make choices that effect your life.

"I only own my mind" in the end you only own your mind and the ability to make choices for yourself. I think this is probably one of the hardest things for anyone to realize and use. people tend to get caught up in their own destiny.

"the ocean is full because everyone is crying". basically, everyone has struggles and challenges, so your not alone. I think this concept is a good thing for people maybe in their adolescense to understand, mostly because they tend to be lost in themselves.

"the selfish they are all standing in line, faithing and hoping to buy themselves time." seems to be a political or social statement, but it also could mean people are relying too much on faith in god and not enough in themselves.

Fatal, which may not be about personal fufillment per se, seems to touch on some of these themes. IMO the song is all about what I have been speaking of.

Fatal tells a story of a character who is questioning their worth or position in society and life. it seems that this person beleives but is unshure "how good" their 'heart and ego' is good. perhaps this person has "waken up" in light of sucess and turmoil (when angers in fashion) and risen above. it seems to take place in the spring (aprils in may), which is a time of rebirth after the winter. I think the choice of "the answers are fatal" might be arbitrary since it was chosen to replace the line "the answers in plato" but it could also mean that if the person was meant to know the answers to all their self questioning then the meaning in life would be lost.

so Junco, which is your favorite? i'd say for personal contentment, i am mine delivers the strongest message, with PT right there in second.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:17 pm 
Johnny Guitar

DeLima wrote:
For me in my tree is pj's best "search for self-acceptance" type song.

"still got my innocence, a little bit"

WPB 06/11/08 - Tampa 06/12/08 - Columbia 06/16/08 - V. Beach 06/17/08

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:24 pm 
Got Some

Self Contentment - I am mine

favorite of the 4 Fatal

Great write up on all 4 though

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:29 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

Can't Keep is good, but I don't connect with it that much.
Fatal is amazing, but I've never really connected to the lyrics.
I am mine is awesome and could have taken my vote on this but...

Present Tense is just unreal. It's a trip. Present Tense is a song which influence can't be captured in words (although I gave it a try with 1000 words in its SOTM thread :wink: ).

Very nice write-up, Junco!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:53 pm 
Global Moderator

nice post Junco.

P-tense, can't keep, and I am mine are all really good choices. I'd ultimatley go with I am Mine. For whatever reason present tense has always felt slightly amateurish to me with the lyrics (and I have no idea why--just a feeling) although I really love how he blurs the you can come terms to realize you're the only one who can/can't forgivie yourself lyric. And can't keep doesn't have that moment of catharsis in it where you just know that everything is going to be okay that I am mine does

Fatal is not even in the same league as those three other songs.

Vote goes to I am mine

The perfect gift for certain occasions

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:30 pm 
Force of Nature

Nothing comes close to Present Tense. It leads to further questioning. It is inspirational and it leaves me feeling that I am ultimately the one that contributes significantly to my own satisfaction and contentment. How can others forgive if you have not forgiven yourself? The lyrics blend beautifully with the music and I know that is why this song means so much to me. Live, this song transcends everything, offering and giving me hope.

Nice post and good choice of songs. I like the others too, although I am Mine has never grabbed me - the music is too mediocre.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:24 am 
Force of Nature

for this topic I would go with I Am Mine. Although PT is one of my fav songs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:42 am 
Epitome of cool
 WWW  Profile

This is an excellent "Best Of" competition, even though I don't see Fatal belonging with the other 3 songs (which isn't to say I don't love it). And I've always interpreted Present Tense as someone reaching out to someone else, not a "self-help" type of song.

I have to vote I Am Mine. I find it to be one of the most life-affirming songs the band has ever recorded. The narrator is pretty much stating that no matter what this world throws at him, he still possesses the right to his own soul and that can never be taken from him. It's his and forever will be.

By the way, nice write-up Junco. :thumbsup:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:10 am 
Got Some

thanks for all the compliments on the write up :)

Id probably go with present tense. but all of these songs really have had a huge influence on me in one way or another. in alot of ways the issues in these songs are probably hard for everyone to grasp at one point or another but these songs are great for reminding one to take a look at the big picture.

something about fatal really intruiges me, and for a long time I didnt even know what it was about (ala yellow ledbetter) but it doesnt seem to be about someone in any kind of crisis, more someone who is sort of waking up from a sort of 'sleep' and doing some self examination.

and I wanst shure what to put as the title, but they are all good suggestions. esp the 'self acceptance' thing but to me it goes hand in hand with 'self contentment'

Post subject: Re: The Best.... Search for Personal Contentment
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:31 am 
Got Some

jcurley wrote:
Junco Partner wrote:

so Junco, which is your favorite? i'd say for personal contentment, i am mine delivers the strongest message, with PT right there in second.

1. present tense
2. can't keep
3. fatal
4. I am mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:42 am 
Supersonic

Present Tense

To me there's no more self fulfillment in life than being in the present-not being held down by mistakes of the past,or worrying about the future-the only true life takes place in the present-whatever it is that you're doing, if you're not present to it, you're not feeling it.

The tree bending to reach the sun rays is a natural occurance in nature to say the tree moves toward light (life) For humans, it's more of a conscious choice to be made and I think the biggest choice that we make in life-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:00 pm 
Stone's Bitch

I like Present Tense more, but for some reason I Am Mine, and Riot Act in general has been kicking my ass lately, so I went with I Am Mine.

Winner, 2008 US Pearl Jam fantasy league. :D

Everton FC: 3-1-5
Anaheim Webbed D's: 5-6-2
USC Football: 7-2
Denver Broncos: 3-5

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:10 am 
Stone's Bitch

P.T.

By far

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:28 am 
Johnny Guitar

Right now I am Mine wins this topic for me. It's more urgent.
Although Present Tense is a masterpiece. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:58 pm 
Faithless

Theresa wrote:
Present Tense

To me there's no more self fulfillment in life than being in the present-not being held down by mistakes of the past,or worrying about the future-the only true life takes place in the present-whatever it is that you're doing, if you're not present to it, you're not feeling it.

:thumbsup:

Present Tense always struck me as a statement for self-contentment... buddhist style.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:57 am 
Banned from the Pit
 WWW  Profile

present tense=love :)

Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam