Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 197 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:02 pm 
Camden Crew

dirtyfrank0705 wrote:
People really aren't responding to this thread...maybe it's time to call it quits.

you keep this going or Ill punch you in the cox

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:30 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Such a beautiful, under-appreciated song. I would have to agree with the notion that's about the uniqueness and potential of every human being and that we all have and desrve a place in society. Perhaps that's why I love this song so much, despite the fact that unfortunately I most often find it a hard concept to believe in therms of my own existence.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:45 pm 
Mike's Maniac

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Excellent write up.

Reading '06, Katowice '07, Wembley '07, Copenhagen '07, London O2 '09, London '10, Arras '10

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:12 pm 
Reissued
 WWW  Profile

i never really thought about it being the first time PJ "had fun" on an album, but you're right about that. Probably has something to do with the factt hat No Code was the last album I heard by PJ, until the new one came out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:13 pm 
Unthought Known
 WWW  Profile

iceagecoming wrote:
stip wrote:
...and I've never liked the 'that's the moss in the aforementioend verse' lyric, which is vaguely amusing, but again, I don't think Pearl Jam does fun very well.

Stip, i also am not keen on that line..the main reason being - it doesn't make sense! He uses the word 'aforementioned' in the wrong context...so it just comes across as a bit clumsy...

how so?
he's saying that the mud is what the moss in the prior verse has now become...
the moss on our souls/soles is now mud...i like it
makes me chuckle, yes chuckle, every time i hear it...almost like preternatural in severed hand except that flows a bit better and serves a different purpose than humor...leave it to ed to try and fits words like these into song lyrics somehow...crazy eddie...his lyrics are.......INSAAAANE!!!!

Frank RIP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:15 pm 
Got Some

really good stuff on Who You Are. I've always loved it's feel-good message and attitude but it's a good insight on your part that that feeling is also what may have been so shocking to many PJ fans when the song was first released. By that time, i was done with the grunge darkness and was listening to a lot more 'feel good' type music, so I really was happy to see PJ going that way (this was probably unconscious, but I think it explains why i liked this song so much from the very first listen).

It's kind of a silly tune. I don't mean that to imply that it's not serious, or heartfelt. But as you said, it has that campfire feel. As such, some of the lyrics aren't perfect. It's not exactly deep. but it's heartfelt, and there are some very nice moments. I love the stoplight metaphor and you mentioned the "just a little time" lyric, which is amazing enough one of my favorite moments in the PJ catalog.

Great job so far. I'm very intrigued to see you tie this together. Reviewing your list of characters and songs I can see some thematic links, but not necessarily characters. I'm definitely intrigued.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:24 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

noaheb wrote:
iceagecoming wrote:
stip wrote:
...and I've never liked the 'that's the moss in the aforementioend verse' lyric, which is vaguely amusing, but again, I don't think Pearl Jam does fun very well.

Stip, i also am not keen on that line..the main reason being - it doesn't make sense! He uses the word 'aforementioned' in the wrong context...so it just comes across as a bit clumsy...

how so?
makes me chuckle, yes chuckle, every time i hear it...almost like preternatural in severed hand except that flows a bit better and serves a different purpose than humor...leave it to ed to try and fits words like these into song lyrics somehow...crazy eddie...his lyrics are.......INSAAAANE!!!!

"off the track, in the mud
that's the moss in the aforementioned verse"

I know what he's trying to say, but I think what he means is:

''that's the aforementioned moss in the preceeding verse''

...the moss is what he's referring to, and therefore it's the moss that's aforementioned, and not the verse...

I hope that makes sense. It doesn't really bother me too much, i just always notcie it...it adds to the fun-ness of the song...and how many other songs use the word 'aformentioned'?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:20 pm 
Unthought Known
 WWW  Profile

iceagecoming wrote:
noaheb wrote:
iceagecoming wrote:
stip wrote:

how so?

"off the track, in the mud
that's the moss in the aforementioned verse"

I know what he's trying to say, but I think what he means is:

''that's the aforementioned moss in the preceeding verse''

...the moss is what he's referring to, and therefore it's the moss that's aforementioned, and not the verse...

I hope that makes sense. It doesn't really bother me too much, i just always notcie it...it adds to the fun-ness of the song...and how many other songs use the word 'aformentioned'?

damn...you got me there
i had to read it a few times to make sure but i see what you mean :)
im not sure technically whether or not you can previously mention a plurality like an entire verse but it makes more sense that the moss (a singular entity) would be what is being referred to rather than the verse itself which includes much more than just the moss...

what?!
not sure if i just said anything but in closing i understand your point better now...thanks for ruining the song for me :?
is this the kind of debate you hoped to spark with this Frank? :wink:

Frank RIP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:23 pm 
Unthought Known
 WWW  Profile

Where's In My Tree?
j/k i'll be patient

great song...great bassline...great drums!!
me likes...

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Frank RIP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:42 pm 
Supersonic
 WWW  Profile

Sorry, I stickied it without reading the thread :oops:

Proud member of the Copenhagen Fap Crew

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:54 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Glad i kind of made sense there Noaheb :)

And indeed, bring on In My Tree :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:49 pm 
Epitome of cool
 WWW  Profile

iceagecoming wrote:
Glad i kind of made sense there Noaheb :)

And indeed, bring on In My Tree :)

Sorry everyone...I was unexpectedly away from the computer for a couple of days. In My Tree coming in a couple of minutes...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:57 pm 
Epitome of cool
 WWW  Profile

In My Tree

“Let’s say knowledge is a tree, yeah…
It’s growing up just like me, yeah.”

Along with the title couplet of Present Tense, no lyric better represents the point of No Code. In My Tree is a perfect song to follow Who You Are, and for two reasons. First, both have that Jack Irons groove going on with the drumming. Second, both of them explore, through their lyrics, the concept of perspective, albeit In My Tree is less celebratory and more philosophical. Whereas Who You Are celebrates life, In My Tree celebrates self. But really, the two are intertwined, and the songs, as sequenced back-to-back, make for a fine pair of companion pieces.

But In My Tree digs a lot deeper than reinforcing the affirmation of life; one of its main themes is reclaiming one’s innocence, an extremely difficult, and most times impossible, task to attempt to accomplish. If we define the loss of innocence as the moment in which we realize the world is a fucked up place, then how in the hell can we ever recapture that naiveté, knowing what we now know? Sometimes the easiest way to understand something is to segregate yourself from it fully, and only then will you reach some sort of clarity. The narrator of In My Tree begins the song in a self-imposed exile, but by the song’s end, he’s something to show for it.

Keep in mind the symbol of the tree as knowledge (or life experience). A tree needs sunshine (positive) to grow, but it also needs rain (negative) as well; too much of either one can kill it, but given the right blend of the two it grows strong and healthy. And in doing so, it spawns many branches, forcing itself further and further into the world around it. It may be met by some predators, but it’s also met by many who appreciate its beauty as a living being. People are a social animal, and the benefits of these positive relationships with those outside of ourselves far outweigh the negative relationships that intend to destroy us. The tree is protected by a thick protective layer known as bark, which defends it from outside elements as to not allow its tender insides be damaged. We’re all just trees in the forest, forced to fend for our own personal well-being. Other trees aren’t a threat to us at all. Even if its camouflaged, we all have our own personal bark. You can only preserve yourself using patience, for it takes time for the bark to grow thick enough to keep the undesirable away.

But enough about metaphor—let’s get down to the actual lyrics. The first two verses almost describe a man left lonesome by his solitude; his friends don’t recognize his presence, but he finds solace in some of the trade-offs:

“Newspapers matter not to me”
“No more crowbars to my head”

This is the easy way out. Dismissing the world in which you live is quite convenient, given that the alternative argument would be finding the good in it. The bad will always be easier to spot than the good, because in the overall scheme of things, a few spots of black are easily spotted when interspersed upon a canvas of white. To remedy this train of thought, the narrator decides to look inside of himself to grasp some type of perspective. This is not an easy task, and it leads him to heights heretofore unbeknownst. This is his awakening.

“Eddie’s blue sky home.” Ed chose to self-reference himself as the narrator, but replace his name with the word “my” and this song as inclusive as it gets. We all have to pave our own road for finding heaven on earth, and that journey begins with examining the roots of who we are as individuals and what we can become. “I remember when I swore I knew everything,” Ed sings. Who amongst us cannot relate to that lyric? I challenge someone to claim they can’t, and I’ll in turn call them a liar. Finding perspective is a funny thing, because it occurs randomly without asking permission. The narrator initially seeks seclusion, but ends up with a whole lot more than he bargained for. It’s moments like this that change lives, and as powerfully alarming as they are, they’re integral to one’s understanding of their place.

From time to time, we all need to take a step backwards and contemplate our lives to determine what they really mean in. If you are unable to see yourself as an entity outside of yourself, you’re taking yourself too seriously. Growing up is not always pleasant, but ultimately extremely rewarding nonetheless. Grow high, and grow out. You’ll find that the sun is more likely to shine on you if you do.

Last edited by dirtyfrank0705 on Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:58 pm 
Reissued
 WWW  Profile

:thumbsup:

best one yet i think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:46 pm 
Force of Nature

I was waiting for the "In My Tree" write-up. I always liked the self referential part to this song. It always made it a little more powerful and intimate for me. Its one of those cases where using a name instead of my, you, its, etc... doesn't bother me one bit because it can still cause you to look at yourself at the end anyways.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:20 pm 
Banned from the Pit

pearljamfan80 wrote:
Frank you got me to put on No Code, you might have made a break through. :o

i agree 100%

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:29 pm 
Johnny Guitar

Great stuff on In My Tree. Tree climbing is so synonymous with being a child, having fun, etc I hear Eddie in this song climbing trees, searching for his young innocent self.

Post subject: Re: A guided tour through No Code: In My Tree
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:35 pm 
Unthought Known
 WWW  Profile

bump...cause i listened to no code in my car today and still love it!!

Frank RIP

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:24 am 
Epitome of cool
 WWW  Profile

Given the board change, the apostrophes and quotation marks in my 4 write-ups are coming up all silly because I write these things on MS Word and then copy and paste them here. Hopefully it's not too distracting.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:00 pm 
Global Moderator

this was one of the ones I was really looking forward to, as I've always liked In My Tree but never really saw it as a top tier Pearl Jam song

Part of the problem is that i've never really liked the tree metaphor as much as I have the water/wave metaphors he uses. I like the extra dynamism attathced to those images. Being in a tree was never that compelling--the lines about height and sky were great, but the basic frame.... I have the same issues with the smoke in a tree lyric in given to fly.

Second, both of them explore, through their lyrics, the concept of perspective, albeit In My Tree is less celebratory and more philosophical. Whereas Who You Are celebrates life, In My Tree celebrates self. But really, the two are intertwined, and the songs, as sequenced back-to-back, make for a fine pair of companion pieces.

Plus In my tree has much better lyrics. I'm not sure that who you are and In My tree are actually dealing with seperate subjects the way you intimate here. For me the difference seems to be that who you are is external--a song about us, wheras In My Tree is internal--a song about him. Same subject matter, different subject

But In My Tree digs a lot deeper than reinforcing the affirmation of life; one of its main themes is reclaiming one’s innocence, an extremely difficult, and most times impossible, task to attempt to accomplish.

Good call--it has a little more power too situtated where it is in Pearl Jam's catalgoue--starting to address and settle some of the issues left open by Vitalogy. In a lot of ways No Code is a long resolution to the questions raised in Vitalogy. The two works as companion albums much more than any of their other two records.

Keep in mind the symbol of the tree as knowledge (or life experience). A tree needs sunshine (positive) to grow, but it also needs rain (negative) as well;

Interesting dichatomy, but I'm not sure rain is always negative--rain is always cleansing--it washes away our dirt and sin

too much of either one can kill it, but given the right blend of the two it grows strong and healthy. And in doing so, it spawns many branches, forcing itself further and further into the world around it. It may be met by some predators, but it’s also met by many who appreciate its beauty as a living being. People are a social animal, and the benefits of these positive relationships with those outside of ourselves far outweigh the negative relationships that intend to destroy us. The tree is protected by a thick protective layer known as bark, which defends it from outside elements as to not allow its tender insides be damaged. We’re all just trees in the forest, forced to fend for our own personal well-being. Other trees aren’t a threat to us at all. Even if its camouflaged, we all have our own personal bark. You can only preserve yourself using patience, for it takes time for the bark to grow thick enough to keep the undesirable away.

that was a truly heroic job explaining that metaphor. Nicely done :)

“I remember when I swore I knew everything,” Ed sings. Who amongst us cannot relate to that lyric?

One of my favorite lyrics on the album--fits in nicely with the Red Mosquito outro too

Grow high, and grow out. You’ll find that the sun is more likely to shine on you if you do.

Nicely said. This thread is easily the best stuff you've ever posted on RM, at least until we get that porn forum

The perfect gift for certain occasions

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 197 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam