Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: You Never Forget Your First Time: Binaural
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:20 pm 
Team Binaural

I’m sitting on the edge of the bed in my girlfriend’s sister’s room, looking down at the lyrics in Binaural’s booklet, and listening to the stereo as Breakerfall, Gods’ Dice and Evacuation blitz by.
Hmmm. I’m digging Breakerfall, but…..
My girlfriend asks what I think of the record so far. I tell her I like it. She leaves. I’m fearful I really don’t.
With the booklet open in my hands, I slide off the bed and shuffle a few steps into her room. Her stereo is finally set up, so we sit on her twin bed, backs to the wall, and listen.
We’ve only been officially dating for six days, but Pearl Jam’s new album is out - she understands.
Big drums. Tentative then authoritative guitar. Light Years.
“No time to be void or save up on life…You got to spend it all.”
This is a beautiful song.
I know of Nothing As It Seems - the darkness, the guitar work - so I really concentrate on the rest of the songs. A few instantly stand out. Thin Air. A song about a new relationship.
“How to be happy and true is the quest we’re taking on together.”
Perfect. My girlfriend approves.
Grievance is a politically-charged rocker and filled with juicy lyrics.
What’s Ed saying?
“Have a, have a drink, drink…..have a drink.”
Haha. Love it.
We are rolling now!
Wait, is that a dog growling?
Yes, I believe it us. Rival is interesting. We’ll have to go back to that one.
My girlfriend gets up to get a drink, my eyes are glued to the Sleight of Hand lyrics.
The song slowly develops but the music and lyrics have me hooked.
“It was like a book he read in his sleep….endlessly….
Sometimes he hid in his radio, watching others pull into their homes
While he was drifting…”
This is a really good album.
Soon Forget is funny, witty, smart. Excellent. My girlfriend slips back onto the bed, laughs and says she really likes that one.
Cool.
Right from the opening chords Parting Ways feels like it’s going to be this grand song. Turns out, the lyrics are minimal, but written to depict a very tangible scene.
“Standing, like a statue, a chin of stone, a heart of clay, hey.”
A masterpiece.
I was just getting into a relationship, and here is this song about the inevitable destruction of another.
The song rattled me for awhile because I was so happy with my girlfriend and yet I knew relationships sometimes dissolve. There’s no way I wanted that to happen.
I love this record.

I knew nothing of leaks. I did not know the tracklisting. Heck, I just learned to use e-mail a few years before.
Binaural was all new. The album arrived with no pretense of greatness, no expectations, no reviews, no nothing.
I just graduated from college and days later- after going with two friends to Sam Goody (no Binaural in stock) then to The Wiz (lots of Binaural) - here is this album, filled with potential.
Each listen turned into a discovery.
I love the production. I can feel this album.
Ed’s vocals? Hypnotizing at times.
And these lyrics. Whoa, this is writing. The imagery, the story-telling, the detail.

After the first listen at my girlfriend’s, I had to drive to work. My car at the time (white Dodge Neon) had no CD player. So, even though I would be late to work, I stopped at The Wiz and bought Binaural on tape. I couldn’t wait five hours before my next listen. The cassette was calling.
My car now has a CD and cassette player. The Binaural cassette sits patiently in the player, always ready to go.

* listens to Binaural *

You Never Forget Your First Time: Ten
You Never Forget Your First Time: VS
You Never Forget Your First Time: Vitalogy
You Never Forget Your First Time: No Code
You Never Forget Your First Time: Yield

I just try to ask as many questions as I can, and then I try to sit down and write a story that people will want to read. – Chris Jones

conoalias wrote:
you are good people chin.

Team Binaural

Last edited by chinofstone on Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: You Never Forget Your First Time: Binaural
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:41 pm 
Former PJ Drummer
 WWW  Profile

fuck yeah chin, very nice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:02 pm 
Got Some

great first post.

Binaural was the first album where I got caught up in online leaks and the like.

Prior to the release, I had heard NAIS and Insignificance via the single. Insignificance quickly became (and remains) one of my favorite songs. NAIS was a neat song but ... disappointing. It continued a tradition of underwhelming firsts ingles for me. I could never figure out why they didn't just make Insignificance the first single with NAIS the B-side. Then the band went on Letterman and instead of the "yeah OK" performance of NAIS I was expecting they played Grievance ... and the whole world seemed better to me then. What a great, rocking song.

It was toward the end of the semester (college for me, by that point) and I remember spending way too much time on Napster looking for leaked tracks. I found a couple and got a lot of fakes (I remember Brad's Sweet Al George being passed around as Rival). As i drove back to Colorado for the summer I had put together a CD with all the new songs I could find and listened to almost nothing else. It was also during that time of searching that i stumbled across Eddie's cover of One Step Up, a masterful little song that he performs perfectly.

Then the album came out. I loved the beginning of Breakerfall, so reminiscent of the Who and bursting with energy ... except if I was honest with myself that first 10 seconds or so was the only part of the song I really liked. God's Dice was ... well, I thought it might grow on me. I found nothing to like about Evacuation. I was kind of panicking.

There was something I liked about Light Years, but I couldn't totally put my finger on it. I liked the feeling of the song. I didn't totally get what the lyrics were about (broadly I understood it was about the death of a loved one, but there verses confused me) but it did remind me of a friend I had loved who had moved away. It was a year later that friend died, and Light Years suddenly made perfect, horrible sense.

I liked Thin Air but not a lot. Of the Girl was interesting but not inspiring. Sleight Of hand did nothing for me from a musical perspective. But Parting Ways was another master stroke, a perfect song about an emotion that I was old enough to be understanding by then. I was in a relationship that had already ended and had restarted again and that I knew in my heart of hearts would end again one day.

So, in Binaural I got: 4 songs I love as much as anything in the catalog, a handful of songs that were OK, and 3-4 songs I didn't like at all. It was the most disappointed I had ever been with a Pearl Jam record. I liked No Code a lot more, even, and I liked Riot Act more when it came out.

I still feel about the same about it. Some of my favorite songs are on that record (and some were recorded for it but didn't make it), and yet it's still at the bottom of my list by far.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:11 pm 
Team Binaural
 WWW  Profile

bondcfh007 wrote:
fuck yeah chin, very nice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:48 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

I enjoyed reading your post Chin..my first time listening to Binaural was forgettable..i thought very little of the album for a long time. Then one by one each song captured me, and then it suddenly became such a rewarding listen. I've never cared too much for Evacuation, but that aside the songs are all strong to me...with Light Years, Parting Ways, Sleight of Hand, Grievance and Insignificance being immediate stand outs - Ed's lyrics for those were some of his best yet.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:04 pm 
Former PJ Drummer
 WWW  Profile

iceagecoming wrote:
I enjoyed reading your post Chin..my first time listening to Binaural was forgettable..i thought very little of the album for a long time. Then one by one each song captured me, and then it suddenly became such a rewarding listen. I've never cared too much for Evacuation, but that aside the songs are all strong to me...with Light Years, Parting Ways, Sleight of Hand, Grievance and Insignificance being immediate stand outs - Ed's lyrics for those were some of his best yet.
this is pretty much my experience too

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:40 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Good job Chin!
Great read, I can see why you are a reporter.

So is that girlfriend the same girl you are going to marry?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:51 pm 
Team Binaural

Bo Jackson wrote:
Good job Chin!
Great read, I can see why you are a reporter.

So is that girlfriend the same girl you are going to marry?

Thanks, Bo.

* fiancee

I just try to ask as many questions as I can, and then I try to sit down and write a story that people will want to read. – Chris Jones

conoalias wrote:

Team Binaural

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:14 pm 
Global Moderator

Nice post chin :)

I LOVED Binarual when it first came out, although looking back I think I was forcing myself a little bit

I knew NAIS (cool atmospheric song but not one of my favorites) and Insignificance (from the single). Insignificance took some time to grow on me but I soon came to love it. And Grievance from Letterman fucking blew me away. Possibly the best on tv performance of theirs I had seen up to that point. For a good three years Insignificance and Grievance were my two favorites on the record

I really liked how breakerfall blew the album open (I still don't understand why it doesn't get more love than it does), god's dice and evacuation were okay. I was more into them then than I am today just due to the newness of them. I think I've always had the same thoughts about Light Years from the first listen. A pretty song that fails to be as beautiful as it wanted to be

Amazingly I liked thin air a lot when it first came out until I could no longer take the lyrics

Of the girl did very little for me then and still does very little for me today.

Rival was cool, and has grown on me over the years

Sleight of Hand was impressive, but difficult, as it still is

Soon Forget was funny and amusing at first. Today it is pretty trite

Parting Ways was a bit disappointing at first since it felt (musically) like a Long Road clone

But this was an extremely solid album on the first listen that I absolutely loved. few stand out tracks but a very compelling piece as a whole. Tragically I am less appreciative of it today. My love of parting ways and Rival have grown, but I am into pretty much every other song on the record less now than I was when it first came out :(

The perfect gift for certain occasions

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:22 pm 
Reissued

great job chin!

i remember driving to best buy on my lunch hour to buy this, and frantically trying to put it in my discman in the car... listening to breakerfall and gods dice i wanted to hurry up and listen to all of it at once, i had to force myself to not just listen to 30 seconds and then fast forward.

that turned out to be a long lunch hour.

Soma. wrote:
In summary, you can't go wrong with Muse live.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:29 pm 
Of Counsel

mray10 wrote:
Prior to the release, I had heard NAIS and Insignificance via the single. Insignificance quickly became (and remains) one of my favorite songs. NAIS was a neat song but ... disappointing. It continued a tradition of underwhelming firsts ingles for me. I could never figure out why they didn't just make Insignificance the first single with NAIS the B-side.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=40187 :P

I heard NAIS and Thin Air when the tapes of the Bridge show came out in the fall of 99. I didn't really like either all that much, but they were new PJ, and I was at the height of my obsessiveness with the band, so they were an adequate fix. In retrospect, it was kind of like getting dirt weed when you've been dry for a week, it's better than nothing. I really didn't like NAIS played acoustically. What a boring song without Mike's soaring electric solos.

I guess the next thing I heard was Grievance on Letterman, which was awesome. Big surprise, and a pleasant one. I skipped the single again because if it didn't have a non-album b-side, I wasn't interested. Only years later, when I learned that the mix of Insignificance was different did I finally pick up the NAIS single.

Binaural is one PJ album that really holds a deep feeling of time and place for me. In April of 2000, I decided to pick up my whole life (what little life I had at the time) and move to Chicago with my girlfriend of six months. I had no job, no leads, and about $500 to contribute to this adventure. We moved into our apartment the first of May, and I commenced looking for a job. I had backed myself into a corner, on purpose, and if I didn't have a job as a lawyer in about three weeks, I was going to have to get a job in retail or something to make ends meet. So by the release date around the middle of the month, I was still unemployed, and I decided that I could not buy this album until I was. As luck would have it, I got a temp job (that turned into a perm job) around the end of the week, and the first thing I did was go buy Binaural.

I've written far too many times my opinions on this album, which ranks at the bottom of PJ's albums for me, so I won't do it again. In the beginning, I didn't have as much contempt for it, but it still struck me as their weakest offering to date.

Still, and perhaps because I've probably listened to Binaural less than any other PJ album, everytime I hear certain tracks from it, I have very specific memories of that very exciting and new time in my life in Chicago. Much of the album reminds me of our little apartment, where there was no closet or stoage space and so our things remained in boxes around the perimeter of the rooms for months and months after moving in. Soon Forget reminds me of riding the bus down Clark Street to work in the beautiful Chicago summer, very content in my little life, and looking up at the luxury highrises in the Gold Coast. Parting Ways reminds me of my job at the dot com, that I loved and poured my heart and soul into, the first time I had ever done so for any job or school or anything, and how the company failed in spite of our best and most sincere efforts.

This album always brings me back to a scary but exciting time in my life when I was first on my own and living as an adult, when I could idealistically envision a future where I helped to build a company from scratch and grew rich from the sale of my stock options, when political cynicism was just a game and not a survival necessity, when I could actually let myself be swayed by the idea that Democrats and Republicans were just two heads on the same beast and that Ralph Nader presented a reasonable alternative to the status quo. Ah, to be young and foolish.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:32 pm 
Stone's Bitch
 WWW  Profile

Much like Yield, I didn't hear Binaural proper until early 2001, when I finally bought the CD. Of course, I had previously heard some of the songs live. With that being said, I was disappointed with the record, since I liked the live versions of the songs so much better, especially Grievance, Rival, God's Dice and Light Years. I do prefer the studio versions of Parting Ways and Of The Girl though.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:39 pm 
Team Binaural

stip wrote:
Nice post chin :)

I really liked how breakerfall blew the album open (I still don't understand why it doesn't get more love than it does),

:)

conoalias wrote:

Team Binaural

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:52 pm 
Founding Bitch
 WWW  Profile

Great story, chin. :)

I remember buying Binaural the day it came out and feeling bummed because it didn't grab me right away. In fact, it took almost 3 years for me to really appreciate/understand it. (Now it's my second favorite PJ album.) I did like some of the songs (God's Dice, Evacuation, NAIS, Insignificance, and Grievance) but was on the fence with the others.

What stood out the most to me was the mood/atmosphere of the album as a whole. It was nothing like I had heard before. I always did like the cover and inside pictures too.

At night I drink myself to sleep and pretend
I don't care that you're not here with me
Cause it's so much easier to handle
all my problems if I'm too far out to sea

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:43 pm 
Got Some

:) Nicely written chin.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:15 am 
Got Some
 YIM  Profile

I didnt get into PJ until I got a PC in 99... so Binaural was the first album I bought new (might have even been the first album I bought period of theirs? but I think i had 10 already and a live bootleg)

Those first 3 songs floored us both (and he had been a fan for years)
I still LOVE Breakerfall as an opener on that album... and even in concerts (or the 2nd song after the slow openers...)

I can honestly say...
Grievance and Insignificance are in my top 5
Thin Air, Light Years, and NAIS are in my top 20
and Breakerfall is always jumping around...

and my #2 Fav. PJ song of all time... was a Lost Dog from Binaural...

JUST IMAGINE
What that album would have been with SAD??? wow...

But NAIS, as the first single? was really bizaare... it should have been Grienvance or Insignificance... (or SAD haha)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:53 am 
Back from the dead

Well it was a few months ago and I bought a used copy for $2.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:26 am 
Stone's Bitch

Great write-up chin.

I remember when I heard this album I instantly fell in love with Light Years, the solo in NAIS, and Grievance. Insignificance has grown on me recently, it's probably a top 20 song now.I've always liked the Breakerfall->Gods' Dice->Evacuation intro.

Oh yeah, guess this means I better start writting up Riot Act. :lol:

Winner, 2008 US Pearl Jam fantasy league. :D

Everton FC: 3-1-5
Anaheim Webbed D's: 5-6-2
USC Football: 7-2
Denver Broncos: 3-5

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:30 pm 
Needs to start paying for bandwidth

I had bought it because of the (repeated)live performances i had seen of the Binaural songs on Pinkpop 2000 (saw it on TV) and noticed that the songs i liked most from that performance came off of Binaural. now for some reason i didn't really listen to it all that much and didn't feel anything special towards it. I guess the other PJ records i had bought around the same time were a bit more exciting since they contained more songs i hadn't really heard yet.

Then in the winter in '02/'03 I came out of a bad break-up and didn't sleep much at all. so one cold cold night I got my Discman and decided to go with Binaural to play in it. i went outside and it was snowing lightly as i strolled through the cold dark night with the street lights flickering and the dirty snow that had been laying there for a few days reflecting pretty much how i felt at the time. I basically had decided not to come back home when i went outside. It meaning either just keep on walking and see where it brings me or just finishing it all.

So i walked thru the small town i lived in and ended up at my old elementary school's playground. i laid down right in the middle of it and just stared into the void while the soft snow landed on me. Now mind you, at this time my english is basically as good as that i can have a basic conversation. I didn't really understand 60% or so of PJ's lyrics, but what i did get up to that point had made me become obsessed with them.

So here i'm lying freezing my ass off just thinking, yet not thinking at all as all of the sudden i "get" the lyrics that are coming through my headphones.

There was a solemn man who watched his twilight disappear
Altered by a fallen eagle, a warning sign..
He sensed worry could be strength, with a plan he said
Time for...
Evacuation!

that was it.

Those words just meant everything i was looking for at the time in every way possible. i needed to get all these fucked up thoughts out of my head + i needed something new, i was tired of the town i lived in.

The repetition of the word Evacuation was perfect. every time Ed sang it again it reinforced the change i was going thru at that very same moment.

i broke down and just laid there listening to the rest of the record until the batteries died somewhere in the middle of Writer's Block.

i walked home and it started snowing a bit harder with the new clean snow covering the old dirty snow that had been laying there for days as if it was telling me that my new found, clearer self had finally overcome the troubled me.

so to sum up, this album pretty much saved me.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:39 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

It's funny, Stip, that you mentioned forcing yourself to like Binaural. I kinda found myself in a similar position.

I was a freshman in college and Napster had just become super popular in college dorm rooms. The program opened up a whole new world of Pearl Jam that I never knew. I could hear everything they had done and I did, often. So when it was time for a new album, I was at the peak of my PJ interest. I had heard NAIS and INSIG from the single, plus Thin Air and NAIS from Bridge School. I remember sitting on the bed of my friend's dorm room waiting for the band to come on Letterman. To a degree, I was phoning in a lot of my excitement. I was so happy I found a band that I could feel this way about...and Binaural (other than Grievance) was kind of blah

Anyway, I get the album and a friend of mine really really got into Binaural. At the time, he was a uber-Dylan/Pink Floyd and I loved how he could dig some PJ too.

So today, the album holds stronger than it ever did. I rank Binaural ahead of the "Ed" albums, but still middle of the pack in PJ terms. Songs like Breakerfall, Of the Girl, Light Years, Thin Air, Grievance and Insig have grown on me. But the rest just seems like filler.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam