Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3063 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 154  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Official 2008 New England Patriots Thread
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:17 pm 
AnalLog

Coach wrote:
Pats are favored to win super bowl in vegas....i'd rather not be.... :?

yeah, i'd rather be a falcons fan.... :roll:

you suck coach.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:06 am 
Got Some

NESN just reported that Ellis Hobbs played in the Super Bowl with a torn labrum and chronic groin pain. He had surgery to fix the shoulder injury on February 12th, but they didn't elaborate on the groin pain. Perhaps it was due to the loss of his testicles.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:21 am 
AnalLog

the groin issue was reported earlier as a hernia that he played with down the stretch.

randall gay getting hurt to start the game really screwed the pats. that and not recovering those 2 fumbles and samuels and meriweather not intercepting those throws on the last drive...

i'm not bitter... really. :cry:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:26 am 
Got Some

EllisEamos wrote:
the groin issue was reported earlier as a hernia that he played with down the stretch.

randall gay getting hurt to start the game really screwed the pats. that and not recovering those 2 fumbles and samuels and meriweather not intercepting those throws on the last drive...

i'm not bitter... really. :cry:

Before the game I thought if they lost it was gonna be a tough one, but after watching it and the way both teams played it was pretty easy for me to let it go almost immediately after. It certainly sucked but it was no Aaron Boone game winning HR.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:30 am 
AnalLog

i didn't make that comparison. i'm just bitter b/c its sucken in how close they were to completing an amazing season.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:40 am 
Got Some

EllisEamos wrote:
i didn't make that comparison. i'm just bitter b/c its sucken in how close they were to completing an amazing season.

I think it's completely different too. But I remember taking that sucker punch on the chin in late October of '03 so everything else seems easier to stomach.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:54 am 
AnalLog

i was still in school then, a buddy and me watched the game with the door locked b/c school was in upstate new york and all of our yankees fan frat brothers knew we were sox fans. you know the story, but boone makes contact, i stand up from the couch, walk to the door, and as i'm openning it the house goes crazy. i don't say a word to my buddy. close the door behind me and walk out the house to my apartment (upper classmen don't live in shithole frat houses :wink: ). i called him sometime the next day and we got lunch at the caf together. didn't speak.

so i know what you're sayin, and i'm not in any way comparing the pats loss to the '03 ALCS game 7. i think the pats loss in XLII feels just like the AFC championship of '06-'07. this is 2 years in a row, where the pats have had the lead and they just have to stop the other team to win and they come up losers. maybe zach thomas, brian kelley and vernon gholston can help change my signature. :haha:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:58 am 
Got Some

EllisEamos wrote:
i was still in school then, a buddy and me watched the game with the door locked b/c school was in upstate new york and all of our yankees fan frat brothers knew we were sox fans. you know the story, but boone makes contact, i stand up from the couch, walk to the door, and as i'm openning it the house goes crazy. i don't say a word to my buddy. close the door behind me and walk out the house to my apartment (upper classmen don't live in shithole frat houses :wink: ). i called him sometime the next day and we got lunch at the caf together. didn't speak.

so i know what you're sayin, and i'm not in any way comparing the pats loss to the '03 ALCS game 7. i think the pats loss in XLII feels just like the AFC championship of '06-'07. this is 2 years in a row, where the pats have had the lead and they just have to stop the other team to win and they come up losers. maybe zach thomas, brian kelley and vernon gholston can help change my signature. :haha:

That night I actually thought I was going to witness the murder of my buddy's girlfriend. 5 or 6 of us were watching the game at his house and, just like you said, as soon as Boone made contact my friend shut the TV off. We sat in silence for a good 3 or 4 minutes before my buddy's girlfriend decides to ask "Um... Is it over?" Needless to say that girl no longer dates my friend.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:01 am 
AnalLog

in other news:

Free agent Marty Booker reportedly left New England without a contract.

like i stated elsewhere, i won't be surprised if they bring in javon walker for a sit down.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:04 am 
AnalLog

meet Matt Walsh. he stole all these official NFL footballs and know he's trying to steal the dignity of the Patriots "storied" franchise. :arrow:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:00 pm 
AnalLog

Quote:
IS CAPERS THE CONTINGENCY PLAN?

Several members of PFT Planet have raised an intriguing question about the addition of Dom Capers to the coaching staff in New England.

Is Capers, as one reader put it, the "break glass in case of emergency" option in the event that Spygate II goes to hell in a handbasket and Bill Belichick gets suspended by the league and/or fired by the team?

The answer might lie in Capers' contract, which almost certainly will never be exposed to the light of day. If there's a written provision making him the head coach in the event of any sudden "incapacity" of Belichick, then this means that the powers-that-be have planned for the possibility, however remote it might be, that something bad could happen if/when Matt Walsh ever shows what he has and says what he knows.

By having Capers' elevation reduced to writing, the Pats wouldn't be required to adhere to the Rooney Rule if/when a vacancy arises. Indeed, if the worst-case scenario (i.e., NFL suspends Belichick and the evidence is sufficiently compelling to force Bob Kraft to fire him) unfolds in, say, June, the franchise surely would want to make a quick transition. Starting a coaching search from scratch wouldn't be the way to make that happen.

The other possibility is that offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels would be elevated to head coach and Capers would take over the defense. But McDaniels is still on the "ridiculously freaking young" side, and Capers has nine years of experience as a head coach with two expansion teams.

as far fetched an idea as it is, i don't think it would be the worst case scenario for the 1 season that BB was away from the team. If he was fired, then this would be frightful...

its cold.... so cold.... i can't take much more of this.....

Spoiler: show

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:09 pm 
Unthought Known

I know alot of people can't stand him, and with good reason, but I hope BB doesn't get fired.

Walsh is close to a deal that would allow him to sing, but I found this report pretty interesting.

SI.com wrote:
INDIANAPOLIS -- Spygate may be the story that never ends in the minds of fans and the media, but I'd say the NFL's Competition Committee is definitively over it. The league's governing body in terms of rules and regulations has been known to debate the most arcane issues for days or even weeks on end. The committee's attempts to define what constitutes illegal contact a few years back wound up just shy of involving forensic science.

So I guess while I wasn't expecting something on the scope of the Warren Commission, I was a bit surprised Thursday by what I heard from some high-profile members of the eight-man Competition Committee. They stood up before the media at the NFL scouting combine and declared that they heard everything they needed to hear about the Patriots' videotaping scandal in a 90-minute Thursday morning briefing from league commissioner Roger Goodell. As part of its regularly scheduled meeting at the nearby Westin Hotel, the committee heard the details of the league's investigation from a four-man contingent that included Goodell, league in-house counsel Jeff Pash, and Ray Anderson and Ron Hill, the NFL's top two vice presidents of football operations.

The committee's consensus after hearing Goodell & Co. explain their work? A rather resounding "Nothing to see here, folks. Let's move along.''

Competition committee co-chair Rich McKay, the Falcons team president, called Spygate "yesterday's news.'' Another committee member, Colts president Bill Polian, said: "I think it's fair to say we [as a committee] were satisfied with the explanation, satisfied with what was done. It's behind us. It's time to move forward.'' Giants president/co-owner John Mara, a relative newcomer to the committee, added his emphatic thoughts as well, saying, "I'm just tired of hearing about it at this point. It's been thoroughly investigated and thoroughly handled.''

Take that, Matt Walsh. Who needs your potential smoking-gun of a video tape collection? Take that Sen. Arlen Specter. Who needs you poking your Congressional nose in where it doesn't belong? Apparently no one on the Competition Committee. When a longtime Patriots antagonist like Polian has no appetite left for Spygate, you know which way the wind blows within the league office.

In fairness, Tennessee head coach Jeff Fisher, co-chair along with McKay, did take pains to call Spygate "an ongoing investigation,'' in light of Walsh's role in the saga. When juxtaposing that with McKay's "yesterday's news'' characterization, it sounded like the committee was at least attempting to view any potential Walsh testimony as a separate entity compared to New England's taping of defensive signals in its Week 1 game at the Jets.

McKay told me later that there was no debate in the room regarding Goodell's decision to destroy the six video tapes and notes that the Patriots turned over to the league. He added that he "fully understood'' why the league did away with the evidence once Goodell gave his explanation for the move.

I've been saying this since mid-September, but it bears repeating once again: The NFL just wants this story to go away, and the sooner the better. Nothing about the controversy makes the league look good. The problem is, the lack of transparency in the league's investigation gave plenty of room for the inevitable conspiracy theorists and unwittingly kept the story alive. After listening to the Competition Committee members talk about their lack of interest in Spygate on Thursday, there's no doubt they have fallen in line with the league's thinking.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:13 pm 
Unthought Known

why do I have a feeling that this Walsh guy had dick on the Pats? Is it true he was canned for taping a conversation between he and Pioli?

-Ernie Accorsi in his final address to the NY Giants locker room before retiring as GM in January of 2007

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:18 pm 
Unthought Known

Ricardo Tubbs wrote:
why do I have a feeling that this Walsh guy had dick on the Pats? Is it true he was canned for taping a conversation between he and Pioli?

I'm guessing he has something and it's true he taped conversations between he and Pioli, guessing. But if the best evidence he has are those tapes, I don't think anyone will be willing to listen because of the legal issues.

If he has anything else I wish the NFL could just get through it already, I've had enough of Spygate and the uncertainty it's created for the franchise.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:45 pm 
Mike's Maniac

EllisEamos wrote:
Quote:
IS CAPERS THE CONTINGENCY PLAN?

Several members of PFT Planet have raised an intriguing question about the addition of Dom Capers to the coaching staff in New England.

Is Capers, as one reader put it, the "break glass in case of emergency" option in the event that Spygate II goes to hell in a handbasket and Bill Belichick gets suspended by the league and/or fired by the team?

The answer might lie in Capers' contract, which almost certainly will never be exposed to the light of day. If there's a written provision making him the head coach in the event of any sudden "incapacity" of Belichick, then this means that the powers-that-be have planned for the possibility, however remote it might be, that something bad could happen if/when Matt Walsh ever shows what he has and says what he knows.

By having Capers' elevation reduced to writing, the Pats wouldn't be required to adhere to the Rooney Rule if/when a vacancy arises. Indeed, if the worst-case scenario (i.e., NFL suspends Belichick and the evidence is sufficiently compelling to force Bob Kraft to fire him) unfolds in, say, June, the franchise surely would want to make a quick transition. Starting a coaching search from scratch wouldn't be the way to make that happen.

The other possibility is that offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels would be elevated to head coach and Capers would take over the defense. But McDaniels is still on the "ridiculously freaking young" side, and Capers has nine years of experience as a head coach with two expansion teams.

as far fetched an idea as it is, i don't think it would be the worst case scenario for the 1 season that BB was away from the team. If he was fired, then this would be frightful...

its cold.... so cold.... i can't take much more of this.....

Spoiler: show

I'm guessing they hired him becasue he knows a lot about the 3-4, maybe as much as Belichick. I like the move. If the Pats get Gholston I would love to see what Pees, Belichick, and Capers does in terms of blitzing. I salivate at the thought of having Gholston, Thomas, and Vrabel coming after the quarterback

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:17 pm 
Unthought Known

No surprise here....

Quote:
Pats decline option on Stallworth

BOSTON (TICKER) —Donte’ Stallworth will enter free agency after the New England Patriots declined the option on his contract, according a published report Friday.

The Boston Herald reported that Stallworth was scheduled to make $6 million if he was still on the roster on Sunday, and a further $2 million on March 1.

Stallworth caught 46 passes for 697 yards and three touchdowns in 2007 as the Patriots went 16-0 in the regular season. He had eight receptions for 113 yards in the postseason, including three for 34 yards in Super Bowl XLII, a 17-14 loss to the New York Giants.

However, Stallworth usually played behind Randy Moss and Wes Welker, and even found himself behind Jabar Gaffney on the depth chart at times.

Stallworth, who signed with the Patriots last offseason, has 31 career touchdowns in 84 games for New Orleans, Philadelphia and New England.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:34 pm 
AnalLog

the bam childress era has ended:

Quote:
Bam Childress to Eagles
Posted by Mike Reiss, Globe Staff February 22, 2008 01:24 PM

WR Bam Childress, who has spent time between the Patriots' active roster and practice squad from 2005-2007, signed a two-year contract with the Eagles, the team announced today.

Childress spent the entire 2007 season on the practice squad. His highlight as a Patriots was Dec. 24, 2006 at Jacksonville, a game in which the Patriots clinched the AFC East title. Childress had two catches in the game, playing as a running back and receiver.

:peace:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:45 pm 
AnalLog

Dr. Gonzo wrote:
If the Pats get Gholston I would love to see what Pees, Belichick, and Capers does in terms of blitzing.

it could very well happen. personally, I think it all depends on the Jets. obviously a lot can change between now and then, but I think if he's on the board the pats will keep the pick and take him which would be pretty flippin' sweet. Am I crazy to think that Oscar Lua could contribute anything this coming season?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:06 pm 
Mike's Maniac

EllisEamos wrote:
Dr. Gonzo wrote:
If the Pats get Gholston I would love to see what Pees, Belichick, and Capers does in terms of blitzing.

it could very well happen. personally, I think it all depends on the Jets. obviously a lot can change between now and then, but I think if he's on the board the pats will keep the pick and take him which would be pretty flippin' sweet. Am I crazy to think that Oscar Lua could contribute anything this coming season?

I think he could and I'm pretty pissed that Pierre Woods didn't get a chance to play more this year.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:46 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah
 WWW  Profile

EllisEamos wrote:
the bam childress era has ended:

Quote:
Bam Childress to Eagles
Posted by Mike Reiss, Globe Staff February 22, 2008 01:24 PM

WR Bam Childress, who has spent time between the Patriots' active roster and practice squad from 2005-2007, signed a two-year contract with the Eagles, the team announced today.

Childress spent the entire 2007 season on the practice squad. His highlight as a Patriots was Dec. 24, 2006 at Jacksonville, a game in which the Patriots clinched the AFC East title. Childress had two catches in the game, playing as a running back and receiver.

:peace:

:haha:

I love the name...

:wave:

Check us out - THE RODDIES

EllisEamos wrote:
they're fuckin' losers!!! they (patriots) deserved to be boo-ed!!!

:haha:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3063 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 154  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports