Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports

Post subject: What happens to the yankees now?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 2:20 pm 
Mike's Maniac

I bring up this conversation cause we certainly know heads will roll, Let me state that I am not a yankee fan, but I live in new york, I follow along the yankees with the mets, my team, and I have to say that the yankees were cursed the day they turned there back on tino and signed giambi, that was when the yanks went from finding good players, to signing stars. here are a couple of things I think

1) Fold(I know we all want this, but in all seriousness)
2) Rid themselves of giambi - will be hard, but pick up cash and dump his ass off, this guy is done

3)Pitchers go - brown, he is owed a ton of cash,best bet is to flat out release him, sign a pavano,

4) Trade for lowell and move him to first, again trade a body, and pick up serious cash, only way to do that

5) Get rid of lofton, tony clark, bernie williams and bring in some youth( i see beltrane in pinstripes already)

6) find a left bullpen man, a left handed picther, and better middle relief pitching, depend on 3 guys all year caught up with the yanks in the end when they couldn't keep boston from hitting

7) New Gm, Vazquez and brown took up 25 million of the payroll alone!, change is needed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 2:28 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

The obvious answer is...look for big changes in their pitching.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 2:35 pm 
Supersonic

They'll do what they do every year . . . throw as much money as they can at every best available free agent. See, they're really committed to developing their farm system and building championship teams from the ground up. :arrow: Hopefully this year's flop will convince them that they can't just assemble a bunch of high profile free agents and expect to win. They need Scott Brocius, Paul O'Neil, etc.

Carlos Beltran will be a Yankee by December 31. Sadly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 2:36 pm 
Mike's Maniac

Chris_H_2 wrote:
They'll do what they do every year . . . throw as much money as they can at every best available free agent. See, they're really committed to developing their farm system and building championship teams from the ground up. :arrow: Hopefully this year's flop will convince them that they can't just assemble a bunch of high profile free agents and expect to win. They need Scott Brocius, Paul O'Neil, etc.

it is sad, the league would like to see a guy like this stay with houston

Post subject: Re: What happens to the yankees now?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 2:51 pm 
Got Some

lowlight79 wrote:
I bring up this conversation cause we certainly know heads will roll, Let me state that I am not a yankee fan, but I live in new york, I follow along the yankees with the mets, my team, and I have to say that the yankees were cursed the day they turned there back on tino and signed giambi, that was when the yanks went from finding good players, to signing stars. here are a couple of things I think

1) Fold(I know we all want this, but in all seriousness)
2) Rid themselves of giambi - will be hard, but pick up cash and dump his ass off, this guy is done

3)Pitchers go - brown, he is owed a ton of cash,best bet is to flat out release him, sign a pavano,

4) Trade for lowell and move him to first, again trade a body, and pick up serious cash, only way to do that

5) Get rid of lofton, tony clark, bernie williams and bring in some youth( i see beltrane in pinstripes already)

6) find a left bullpen man, a left handed picther, and better middle relief pitching, depend on 3 guys all year caught up with the yanks in the end when they couldn't keep boston from hitting

7) New Gm, Vazquez and brown took up 25 million of the payroll alone!, change is needed

timeout, why are you in such a big hurry?

let em' get a few rounds of golf in first :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 3:29 pm 
Spambot

Don't forget how quickly the Lakers collapsed after their ... errr, collapse.

In all reality, however, survey says #3 on your list.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 6:10 pm 
Devil's Advocate

I wouldn't be suprised if Torre goes. Francona owned him this series.

1. Beltran is virtually a lock.
2. Brown is gone.
3. Most of the bullpen is gone.
4. Lieber, Moose, and Vazquez will be the only returning starters. Maybe El Duque as a security blanket. Loiaza is sooooo gone.
5. At catcher, they'll start looking more at Dioner Navarro to take over for the aging Posada.
6. 1B is a mess. Clark sucks and will be gone. Giambi, who knows what will happen with him. I can see the Yanks giving him a lot of time off to get healthy again, similar to Lieber last season.
7. Cairo at 2B just won't cut it, especially now. They'll make a move there.
8. Ruben Sierra is probably gone, Lofton too.

So Beltran and I still think they make a move on Bret Boone at some point in 2005.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 6:11 pm 
Devil's Advocate

twoheadedboy wrote...

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/st ... d/guessing

I've been saying this about the Yankees team all year (though its hard to prove now, heh), but the Yankees had a team that was not built to win playoff baseball. Right now, the only teams left that do are the Red Sox and Astros. If the Cardinals went after Randy Johnson at the trade deadline, they would too, but that's beside the point.

Bottom line is, the Yankees paid too much for either mediocre players (Vasquez), or players they didn't need (A-Rod). Now, without spending an even more obscene amount of money for 2005, they are just going to be the same team one year older.

Not that the Red Sox are in a hugely good position either (Lowe and Pedro up for free agency, not much on the market to look at), but at least they'll have some financial room to make things happen without going above $200 million!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 6:12 pm 
Administrator
 WWW  Profile

Quote:
What happens to the yankees now?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 7:35 pm 
Mike's Maniac

Buggy wrote:
Quote:
What happens to the yankees now?

good point buggy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 8:01 pm 
Banned from the Pit

Athletic Supporter wrote:
I wouldn't be suprised if Torre goes. Francona owned him this series.

1. Beltran is virtually a lock.
2. Brown is gone.
3. Most of the bullpen is gone.
4. Lieber, Moose, and Vazquez will be the only returning starters. Maybe El Duque as a security blanket. Loiaza is sooooo gone.
5. At catcher, they'll start looking more at Dioner Navarro to take over for the aging Posada.
6. 1B is a mess. Clark sucks and will be gone. Giambi, who knows what will happen with him. I can see the Yanks giving him a lot of time off to get healthy again, similar to Lieber last season.
7. Cairo at 2B just won't cut it, especially now. They'll make a move there.
8. Ruben Sierra is probably gone, Lofton too.

So Beltran and I still think they make a move on Bret Boone at some point in 2005.

Ae you kidding me???? Torre is like a god in this town. If he is fired Yankee fans would have Steinbrenners head.

This all coming from someone on the other side if the country and not 24 hours after they lost.

1. Nothing is a lock; it would be a total slap in the face to Bernie Williams
2. He is owed 15 mil. Most likely only by release
5. Posada is 33; not exactly over the hill for one of the best catchers in Yankee history.
6. Don't you think he's had enough time off?? He will most likely be in the starting lineup Opening Day.
7. Probably right
8. Probably right.

My point is you probably don't have your finger on the pulse from the west coast; let it sink in at leat a month before jumping to conclusions, and I'm not even a Yankee fan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 8:41 pm 
Devil's Advocate

hard2imagine wrote:
Ae you kidding me???? Torre is like a god in this town. If he is fired Yankee fans would have Steinbrenners head.

So was Casey Stengel, Paul O'Neill, Tino Martinez, Roger Clemens, David Wells, etc etc etc. How many times do you have to lose in the post season with an All-Star roster before you look at the manager?

hard2imagine wrote:
This all coming from someone on the other side if the country and not 24 hours after they lost. My point is you probably don't have your finger on the pulse from the west coast; let it sink in at leat a month before jumping to conclusions, and I'm not even a Yankee fan.

What does where I live have to do with this? I read, listen to, watch, and attend as much baseball as anyone here. It's practically a second job how much time I spend on this silly game.

hard2imagine wrote:
1. Nothing is a lock; it would be a total slap in the face to Bernie Williams

Tino Martinez ring a bell? Bernie is 36 years old and his skills are declining steadily. He's Michael Tucker at this stage of his career, but with a lot of great numbers in his past. .262 with 22 home runs is nothing spectacular. If you want to bring up clutch hits this post season, let's not forget what Beltran is doing in Houston right now.
The Yankees are going to make every effort to sign Beltran. They'd be crazy not to. It's not like I'm the only one saying this, every writer worth his salt has been saying it since June or earlier.

hard2imagine wrote:
2. He is owed 15 mil. Most likely only by release
Which could happen. Since when did George make decisions based on saving money?

hard2imagine wrote:
5. Posada is 33; not exactly over the hill for one of the best catchers in Yankee history.

33 IS old for a catcher. Navarro is one of the 3 top catching prospects in the game behind Mauer and Mathis. Posada's production is unlikely to improve, especially if you look historically at what happens to catchers entering their mid 30's. I'm not saying Navarro plays 100 games next year, but 40 is certainly reasonable to expect. Especially when Posada missed 25 games this season.

hard2imagine wrote:
6. Don't you think he's had enough time off?? He will most likely be in the starting lineup Opening Day.
Quite frankly, neither of us know what is wrong with Jason. But using Leiber as an example, the Yankees have been willing to give players a season to rest while still paying them huge amounts of cash. If Giambi isn't himself in March, it'll be interesting to see what happens. Was this year an abberation or was he juicing and now his body is a mess?

hard2imagine wrote:
7. Probably right
8. Probably right.

Yeah, but that was easy to call. Those guys are old role players. They'll reload with similar players next year as always.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:47 pm 
Stone's Bitch

I say the Yankees go out there and win game 7!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 12:02 am 
Got Some

I hope the Astros do everything they can to hang onto Beltran but thats gonna be difficult with big George flaunting all those greenbacks around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 12:26 am 
Force of Nature

Chris_H_2 wrote:

The Yankees won in 96, 98, 99 & 00 with a big core of home grown players. The payroll swelled, in part, to pay and keep these guys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 4:54 pm 
Devil's Advocate

PJHutch wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:

The Yankees won in 96, 98, 99 & 00 with a big core of home grown players. The payroll swelled, in part, to pay and keep these guys.

"In part". Giambi, Mussina, Sheffield, ARod, Vasquez, Wells, Clemens...
We all know good and well that they'll go after the top 3 FA's every single off season.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 5:18 pm 
Unthought Known

twoheadedboy wrote...

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/st ... d/guessing

I've been saying this about the Yankees team all year (though its hard to prove now, heh), but the Yankees had a team that was not built to win playoff baseball. Right now, the only teams left that do are the Red Sox and Astros. If the Cardinals went after Randy Johnson at the trade deadline, they would too, but that's beside the point.

Bottom line is, the Yankees paid too much for either mediocre players (Vasquez), or players they didn't need (A-Rod). Now, without spending an even more obscene amount of money for 2005, they are just going to be the same team one year older.

Not that the Red Sox are in a hugely good position either (Lowe and Pedro up for free agency, not much on the market to look at), but at least they'll have some financial room to make things happen without going above $200 million!

yeah... so much for that thought.... go birds!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 6:03 pm 
Force of Nature

PJHutch wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:

"In part". Giambi, Mussina, Sheffield, ARod, Vasquez, Wells, Clemens...
We all know good and well that they'll go after the top 3 FA's every single off season.

I agree, but lets not forget, they TRADED Wells for Clemens he was not a FA, then signed Wells back for pretty cheap when not one really wanted him (other the the D Backs). Some think that the ARod move is bad but I think they are getting him pretty cheap considering how much of his salary Texas is paying - nearly 37% in total.

But, yes the Yankees will be active again this offseason. They run the team like the business it is which allows them to recover from financial mistakes. Is there a point where even the Yankees don't have enough money? I guess eventually but I think George could go well past $200 without a problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 6:22 pm 
Got Some
 WWW  YIM  Profile

pearljamminagain wrote:

Just because I don't feel the Cardinals are built for playoff baseball doesn't mean they can't win it all...In fact I picked them for 6 in the WS. Jeff Suppan had to beat Roger Clemens for the Cardinals to get there. Who in their right mind would take THAT bet? If they replayed that game today, I'd still pick the Astros.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 7:11 pm 
Unthought Known

twoheadedboy wrote:
pearljamminagain wrote:

Just because I don't feel the Cardinals are built for playoff baseball doesn't mean they can't win it all...In fact I picked them for 6 in the WS. Jeff Suppan had to beat Roger Clemens for the Cardinals to get there. Who in their right mind would take THAT bet? If they replayed that game today, I'd still pick the Astros.

they ARE built for the playoffs... why you ask?

1. Small Ball... no one in baseball is better, NO ONE

2. Defense... no one in baseball is better, NO ONE

3. Clutch hitters... not many are better and maybe NO ONE

sure, their pitching may not be what you want for the playoffs, but when you have the aforementioned... well you dont HAVE to have everything... they are a very well-built machine for the playoffs... and even if they fall short, they are still the best out there for the playoffs... hands down

Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports